PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on the Wii

wraggster
September 15th, 2006, 16:19
Article via Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/some-thoughts-on-the-wii-200868.php)

I was really surprised by both Nintendo's choice of price and date. Initially, I thought that the company would try to launch a good month before Sony broke the Champaign bottle on the SS PS3, getting a mighty lead on their competition. And I figured they'd try to put just as much distance between the price of the two consoles as well.

But why should they?

They don't have to give the Wii away to win, they just need to be cheaper and offer up a good value. The console comes with a game, which I suspect would have sold for $40 not $50 if it hit the market separately, so that already knocks the price of the console down to $210. And Nintendo price was most likely determined by Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360. They just needed to release their console at a substantial discount and when they saw the price of their competition they realized they could actually sell the console at a profit, and still deliver a value compared to what has become today's standard for console pricing.

The date, well, the date just makes sense when you think about it.

All of this talk about Nintendo being a third console has sort of lulled me, and I suspect others, into thinking that Nintendo is the also ran, the other guy, a company knowingly making a console that no one is going to buy as their primary gaming rig.

Guess what? Nintendo doesn't think that way. Just because their mascots are cartoons doesn't mean that the company isn't out for blood. And this proves it.

Nintendo isn't just OK with people comparing the PS3 with the Wii, they want people to. They set the launch right on top of Sony's because they think they will win that comparison. And they don't just want to slip a knife in Sony's belly, they want to twist it a bit.

Check out what Reggie Fils-Aime was saying after the press conference: Consumers "can go take out a second mortgage and buy our competition's console, or they can buy ours."

I still think that Nintendo is taking a big risk injecting this disruptive technology into the gaming market, but I've gone from thinking that they will either sink or swim to thinking that they will do moderately well to tremendously well.

Do you agree or disagree with what the article says ?

morninghead
September 15th, 2006, 18:30
I totally agree with it

SilverSheepz
September 16th, 2006, 20:00
I completely agree, and would go as far to say that the Wii will put good old Ninty right back at the top of the pile for consoles .....

Pretty much every single one of my mates who have had consoles over the years have gotten tired of being promised better graphics with each new release, when infact nothing ground breaking has happened ... they want better gameplay!!

They've all played xbox and ps, but every single one of them has said they'll get a Wii when it comes out!

For me, I've been waiting for years for someone, espiecially Ninty, to mash things up and start creating new types of gameplay .... I can't say excatly what I have been waiting for but bloody hell Ninty THIS IS IT!!! .... I am sooooo happy and excited for the release of it .... I haven't felt like this since the release of the N64 .... although that did disappoint a little after a year or so.

I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning ... oooohhhhh I could crush a grape!!:D

JKKDARK
September 16th, 2006, 20:15
reasonable