PDA

View Full Version : Wii Internet Channel - Free. For Now.

wraggster
September 15th, 2006, 16:31
News from Spong (http://news.spong.com/article/10788)

There was much talk at ExCel today of how Wii is being marketed at those people who might not usually use the Internet very often. You know, like your gran and those without the cash to own a PC less than ten years old.

Nintendo, in a seemingly paternalistic role, plans to help the elderly, the stupid and the poor by bringing the Internet to somewhere they can understand. Their telly!

And what's more, it plan to do it in a way in which the elderly and the poor really love. By not charging them the money they need for their gas meters and their Kwik Save ready meals.

Wii Internet Channel, if you don't know already, is Opera-based and is described by Nintendo thus: "This channel dramatically changes the relationship between a user's home, the television and the Internet. Users download the Opera browser with Wii points. Then they can surf the Internet right from the comfort of their couch. They can do quick research while watching a television program ('What was that actor's name again?'). Or book travel plans and shop during commercials. The service is compatible with Macromedia Flash."

Note that Opera will be free to download on Wii, until June 2007, but after that there's been no confirmation on what Nintendo plans to do with its idiot-proof Tellynet. As ever, we'll let you know as soon as we hear more.

SilverSheepz
September 16th, 2006, 19:49
"Then they can surf the Internet right from the comfort of their couch..."

Erm ... have they not heard of laptops and wifi???:rolleyes:

JKKDARK
September 16th, 2006, 20:21
must be free!

mnuhaily22
September 17th, 2006, 08:35
not a bad Idea, but still , I can do that via Devhook on my PSP, anyways, It isn't gonna be wireless

Amethyst
September 18th, 2006, 07:29
Sounds very good. But I'm not clear on how it will work. How would I connect to Internets from my home if I didn't have Internets connection? I know it's wireless but how would the signal get from nyah to hyah?

I so don't know what's going on...