PDA

View Full Version : So Are You Going to Buy the Camera and GPS Addon for PSP?

wraggster
September 15th, 2006, 19:10
Its not too long now till the Camera and GPS Addon for the PSP will surface but will you actually buy one or both of them, do they hold enough interest to pay the price.

Should be interesting to see what comments come from this?

splodger15
September 15th, 2006, 19:12
no

10shu
September 15th, 2006, 19:15
probably no...

it depend what they will do with them...

JKKDARK
September 15th, 2006, 19:16
mm I don't know, maybe in the future..

zrns
September 15th, 2006, 19:21
a cam is totally nonsense... what should it be good for?
eyetoy? ou come on not on psp... a webcam? thats stupid.. making pic and movies? i got my mobile with a 3,2mp cam inside, thats all i need...

but a gps unit with a proper navigation software would rock for sure (if only the psps display wouldnt reflect that much')

Shemp
September 15th, 2006, 19:21
I've no need for GPS, and certainly not on an entertainment console. The camera would be a nice feature were it integrated into the reverse side of the PSP, a la mobile phones, but with it sticking out the top... I don't care for the look, and I'm not convinced of its utility. So chalk up a resounding "no" for YT.

weirdelf
September 15th, 2006, 19:36
no

Anger
September 15th, 2006, 19:37
i may buy the gps addon if it can be used by homebrew devs. i would like to see it work with map this as its a very usefull app and with a gps device the psp would be even better. i would probably be one of the many who would use there psp as a cheap gps device given the option.

andrewgabriel77
September 15th, 2006, 19:41
I'll probably get the cam if it's not too expensive or wait till somebody else buys one and then gets tired of it and takes it to gamestop...then i'll get it cheaper. The GPS will depend on how functional it is...I'm a truck driver and it could actually come in handy.

LC_killer
September 15th, 2006, 19:42
i thnk i mihgt get the cam. i dont have a digital cam. even thoguh its only a low megapixl, but it is also only 40 bux and will take good enough pictures.

rehbock
September 15th, 2006, 19:42
no and hm no
useless stuff which a new fw needed

Voorhees
September 15th, 2006, 19:44
i have no use for a gps...but maybe the cam will get my interest ;) can be cool if it could be used for video chat over wifi :)

jerrt
September 15th, 2006, 19:51
i will get them, just not on the first day. i hope they make good things happen for the gps. if an indi developer already has an awesome gps program, sony should easily be able to put something very usefull together.

thumpa
September 15th, 2006, 19:55
may get the cam
gotta take those myspace pics

Emeriastone
September 15th, 2006, 19:57
Yes, but not now when I'm so po po.

snkrock25
September 15th, 2006, 20:00
why waste money? i dont even buy psp games anymore...

pkmusicmaker
September 15th, 2006, 20:06
Besides both being so cheap, they're both really useful accessories. Why not get them? It's clearly not good for games besides homebrew, so i'd like to see it good for something.

doverkiller
September 15th, 2006, 20:09
I'd like to use Socom headset and PSP camera with Skype on the PSP..
that would kikkass! :D

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
September 15th, 2006, 20:11
no

migsgiz
September 15th, 2006, 20:21
ill buy the digital cam if i cam use it with my fw 1.50!

bnolsen
September 15th, 2006, 20:23
I might buy a GPS unit depending on the cost and what you can do with it.

I'd like to use it as a bicycle GPS. Record time, speed, distance, elevation profile, with the ability to detect when I'm stuck waiting at stoplights.

amadeus
September 15th, 2006, 20:26
I'ld get the gps so long as it can be used with homebrew.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 15th, 2006, 20:28
GPS addon yeah Fw dependant tho if fw is emulated on devhook 4 sure.

Malksta
September 15th, 2006, 20:37
Nahhh, Malk has no use for them!

Apoklepz
September 15th, 2006, 20:41
I might get the cam one day if time and money are of the essence, and if I get over how fluckin fugly it'll look over my PSP.

viMaster
September 15th, 2006, 20:45
camera, no way. gps device, i might buy if it functions well enough.

Veskgar
September 15th, 2006, 20:59
NOPE, not me! What for? If the PSP had better communications abilities built in I would. But there is no MySpace Mobile or any similar services or even E-mail for use with the PSP so why do I need a camera on my PSP?

GPS? Maybe someday if there is a good app to work with it.

porchemasi
September 15th, 2006, 21:02
DEPENDS!
If GPS or CAM needs fw 2.8+ then no

if it needs 2.71 then id buy the GPS

SSaxdude
September 15th, 2006, 21:07
No

jhontikis
September 15th, 2006, 21:14
Probably ill buy the camera but there is a strongly possibility it will need higher firmware so ill have to wait till someone releases a homebrew application capable of recording video & or stills.
Id like to see thoug the camera to be used for more innovative games, like eye or close to that.
I think the camera can replace a tilt sensor (with no much succes of course) but who knows. :)

LazerTag
September 15th, 2006, 21:27
If a firmware upgrade is required to use them (I assume it will be) then no.

However if it is not I may buy the GPS.

dmac
September 15th, 2006, 21:40
I will probably get the GPS if it is a good price. It could be cheaper than the real macoy...

d3v1l
September 15th, 2006, 21:47
i would buy the gps for sure, im interested in having gps:) hopefully it will work in the car as well:)

Shiaoran
September 15th, 2006, 22:06
Maybe I buy the GPS, but only if it has full support to brazilian maps(turning 18 in 11/21, why not instead of buying a map to help me out, buy a PSP GPS and a car support? ^^).

ste
September 15th, 2006, 22:12
No.

whitey75
September 15th, 2006, 22:36
Both have their merits, but I wouldn't rush out and buy either unless they were going cheap.

I'd prefer TV on the go! I look forward to that one. I remember reading that someone was developing a digital TV receiver that attached to the usb, I hope this becomes reality. Not sure if it will ever come though.

CHeers

chrono75
September 15th, 2006, 22:36
man i cant wait until i get the GPS system man thats gonna be sweet. since i live in a big city i get lost all the time. it would be really cool if they included a hot spot thing like for when u want to go somewhere popular. and it would be cool if the program would talk to you and tell u what to do like one of the real GPS NAV systems did...
(robotic voice) TURN LEFT HERE. :D

hakibou24
September 15th, 2006, 22:37
depends whts the price, but think i would buy the camera

pt9087
September 15th, 2006, 22:43
lol maybe if someone relesed a msn messenger that supports it cos we all no what that means...PSybersex. lol

Pyroice0
September 15th, 2006, 22:44
Both, for sure.
The camera simply amazes me, and it's even better if you coul turn it around!
And the GPS, well, if it's for MGS, then it's worth it!

Gene
September 15th, 2006, 23:05
gps, if it works on a 1.5 through emulation or watever, would kick ass because im pretty bad at directions and have been meaning to get one for my car for quite sometime.

LC_killer
September 15th, 2006, 23:19
i have no use for a gps...but maybe the cam will get my interest ;) can be cool if it could be used for video chat over wifi :)

sony has already said that video, and video chat are going to be a part of this. i just wonder if we are going to have to pay to use the video chat.
and i herd the price on both are around $40.00 US.

The_It
September 15th, 2006, 23:24
IF i don't need to upgrade and they are both about 50 dollars each, ill get them, even though I have a garmin etrex vista... it has such a small screen.

psychadelicious
September 15th, 2006, 23:26
I'd get the camera. how much is it?

luis_05
September 15th, 2006, 23:36
yes i would love to buy them but no, it would mean i have to upgrade to a new fw!! hell no!!!

SoQb0nc5r
September 15th, 2006, 23:43
maybe

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 23:45
Probably getting the GPS add on. Not getting the crappy camera add on. :)

Fiverson
September 15th, 2006, 23:51
The GPS because I have a digital camera already. And a GPS would own, especially if you get lost in the ghetto.

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 23:54
The GPS because I have a digital camera already. And a GPS would own, especially if you get lost in the ghetto.
LOL! :P
I only want it if all you have to EVER pay is $40-$50. :)

aries2k4
September 16th, 2006, 00:24
Just might pick up the cam if I donīt have to upgrade and if the price is around 40 euros. anybody know what fw you need? then again it will probably run on emulated fw, I hope.

shrimpidy
September 16th, 2006, 00:37
Right now I don't have a digital camera so the eyetoy could be a possibility if I don't want to carry both my PSP and digital camera around at once. The GPS is something I'd love to have because I'd be able to use it wherever I am and I wouldn't have to make my parents buy the more expensive kinds that get installed into the car.

StuiWooi
September 16th, 2006, 00:40
Have to say the camera peaks my interest more, but for small quick and easy photos, to show something i cant describe in conversation, i have my phone.
With the GPS attached id be too embarrased to bring my psp out in public, and with the way its positioned i dont know if the currently available car mount kits will hold it

In conclusion, another no from me

acn010
September 16th, 2006, 00:50
cool, but no...........

LilSwish722
September 16th, 2006, 01:01
yea...id buy the cam...but the gps is useless for a 14 yo i think lol...but yea... the megapixels cant be that good anything under 3 pretty much sucks so if sony can come out with 3 mp or higher id buy it

juggaleaux
September 16th, 2006, 01:20
If I had that kind of money, I certainly wouldn't waste it on that.

/married with child

MicroNut
September 16th, 2006, 02:31
No on the Video Cam...
unless it can record over wireless to a remote location.
(or at least be made to record over wireless)

Yes, on the GPS.
I travel a lot.

pibs
September 16th, 2006, 04:22
i always wonder'd, do you have to pay for gps service or u just but the device then its just free? if its like that then ill mostlikely get it.

Video_freak
September 16th, 2006, 04:28
Same here pibster. Considering $ony, it will probably get a mothly fee... :(

razorak
September 16th, 2006, 04:36
hell no i ain't gonna buy either of them...lol

Shiaoran
September 16th, 2006, 05:03
People are asking about the FW needed, but how are we supposed to know? :P
I think they'll make a new FW for the devices...
It would be 'cool' if the version 3.0 were released with the PS3 ^^

jwilds73
September 16th, 2006, 05:07
No on the camera I already got one in my phone. The GPS setup needs to have alot more functionality for me to use it. Couple it with a FM transmitter and a voice navigation umd and I'd buy it.

Nafogel
September 16th, 2006, 05:29
I might buy the gps if devhook comes through(I tend to get lost pretty easily). I wonder if you'll have to pay a subscription for it, and if so, how much would it be?

masterpsp2.6
September 16th, 2006, 06:17
ill buy anything for the psp...

Veskgar
September 16th, 2006, 06:25
sony has already said that video, and video chat are going to be a part of this.
Well if that is true, for $40.00 I just might pick up the camera add-on.

DKing
September 16th, 2006, 06:30
As I already own a camera and a GPS I doubt I'd be buying these addons.

As for the questions on general GPS functionality... GPS isn't a service you have to pay for. If you have a receiver that's basically all you need. It simply locates you at a point on Earth (And how accurate that is depends on the receiver itself). However, anyone who has used a GPS will tell you that the mapping is the most important part since that puts your location in context with roads, natural features, etc. . So I'd be curious as to what sort of maps and mapping ability Sony has planned for this.

MaxSMoke
September 16th, 2006, 09:32
I'm going to buy both, regardless of Sony's software support. I just hope that Homebrew developers can figure out how to make use of them.

For instance, there's already several GPS programs for the PSP. So a GPS attachment is instantly useful.

The Camera attachment, on the other hand, could turn the PSP into a Home Survalance System. It could take the video input, look for changes in the video, and if it sees any, upload images to a website using the built in WiFi. Just add an upright Docking Station, and you're PSP becomes an instant watchdog!

Also, a HomeBrew App could turn the PSP with a camera into a Time-Lapse video camera. Or it could take the photos and upload them, using SMS, to your phone for instant picture mail.

You guys have to remember that the PSP is an Internet device with VERY flexable hardware. It could take that video and do all kinds of things with it. Just because the video sucks, doesn't mean it won't be useful. Just use your IMAGINATIONS!

kcajblue
September 16th, 2006, 09:39
i dont know about the GPS but the camera looks good to me.

stotheamuel
September 16th, 2006, 09:51
i might get the camera if it is used as an eye toy (dont know how though maybe for the ps3 games instead of psp games???

I dont need gps :p

dejkirkby
September 16th, 2006, 09:59
I'll buy the GPS, but not the camera.

b8a
September 16th, 2006, 10:38
To paraphrase Sony:

"Hellz no"

They both look awful and are of little practical use. If walking around an unfamiliar major city with an unfolded map made you an easy target for random muggings and violence before, the hideous looking PSP/GPS setup is going to be like wearing a giant neon sign that says "Vulnerable Geek With Too Much Money. Please Beat To A Bloody Pulp."

doverkiller
September 16th, 2006, 11:13
To paraphrase Sony:

"Hellz no"

They both look awful and are of little practical use. If walking around an unfamiliar major city with an unfolded map made you an easy target for random muggings and violence before, the hideous looking PSP/GPS setup is going to be like wearing a giant neon sign that says "Vulnerable Geek With Too Much Money. Please Beat To A Bloody Pulp."

this's what I call: paranoia :D

PSPKOR
September 16th, 2006, 12:02
I may buy the GPS, but then thats only if it doesn't need a firmware update, which it probably will knowing Sony.

caseyhalone
September 16th, 2006, 13:28
yes please GPS, I have already spent the money to get the psp, why a couple hundred more on a gps, when i can use the psp with a COLOR screen. could be very nice with google maps and the hybrid mode!

vladiftodi
September 16th, 2006, 14:33
no, i use psp for games, homebrew an music ya

shuaib82a
September 16th, 2006, 14:42
i camera would be wicked as lond is it can take good quality pics like 3.0 mp and a gps add on would be swell my moms always getting lost on the motorways looooooool i would buy um if there worth it:rolleyes:D

acn010
September 16th, 2006, 14:51
but don't buy these 2 because it is reqquirede for an update in order to valid the device and use it

Freshmilk
September 16th, 2006, 15:06
I am buying a camera and nothing you can do or say can stop me. Basically just so i can mess about with it, even if it is low res it doesn't mean it won't be any fun...

Besides, i have 2 PSPs and devhook.

DKing
September 16th, 2006, 17:10
i camera would be wicked as lond is it can take good quality pics like 3.0 mp

It's 1.3 megapixels.

Rajidae
September 16th, 2006, 18:40
i want the camera, just cuz its a camera.
but sony should look into the fact that they would sell more if they didnt give a firmware restriction

ACID
September 16th, 2006, 18:55
Nope i dont want it even for free

stotheamuel
September 16th, 2006, 19:07
you would turn it down if it were free?? thats just plain old hatin'

robmotty
September 17th, 2006, 12:12
conspiracy theory could become a reality with these devices what if the camera knew you were using devhook? it attached a small code to the file and when connecting the gos add on the wi-fi connector broadcast your picture, your ip address and current gps location to the so that they knew where a map of devhook users were!

Could be dangerous... watch out!

or could be comletely harmless cheap junk have you seen the pictures they look flimsy and cheap and for $40 I suspect there are stay well clear!.

mr_nick666
September 17th, 2006, 12:35
a cam is totally nonsense... what should it be good for?
eyetoy? ou come on not on psp... a webcam? thats stupid.. making pic and movies? i got my mobile with a 3,2mp cam inside, thats all i need...

but a gps unit with a proper navigation software would rock for sure (if only the psps display wouldnt reflect that much')

Agreed :) GPS navigation would be the ONLY reason to convince me to buy the GPS... :rolleyes:

Freshmilk
September 17th, 2006, 12:59
I don't care about resoultion - a photo is a photo.

razorak
September 17th, 2006, 14:09
I don't care about resoultion - a photo is a photo.

What a carefree shopper you are :)
I definitely wanna make sure i get quality for my money :D

Physicist
September 17th, 2006, 14:45
junk.

infernomax
September 17th, 2006, 14:47
Probably both... depends on reviews and 1.50 compatibility

FAT BOY DIM
September 17th, 2006, 15:12
can't see the point of gps, the psp is fat enough without a great big reciever stuck out the top... besides, psp's don't like it hot, stuck there in a car window for all to see..... games and vids for me thanks.

Physicist
September 17th, 2006, 20:58
I'd like to go on record as saying that I think infernomax's sig is absolutely disgusting.

donne
September 18th, 2006, 11:49
Nope i dont want it even for free

That's almost an illogical thinking.. People loves freebies. I can't think why I should turn down a free camera/gps offer.. Even if I'm not gonna use 'em, it still good getting ones.. :cool:

andk1005
September 18th, 2006, 14:26
im gonna definately buy the gps but im not too sure of th camera due to the 1.3 megapixels. this is pretty low quality and is normal if not sub par for a camera phone.
i have a sony w800i that i can take better pictures with and then shove the memory card into ma psp and view the photos on there. also my sony camera (dsc-s600) can do this by just putting the memory stick intyo my psp. so why bother with what will be an overpriced and probably function crippled camera.

SmashinGit
September 18th, 2006, 14:29
The camera definately not. The only thing stopping me from buying the gps is the glare you get from the screen when you take it outside. I'll probably wait for it to come out and then listen to the reviews.

pkmaximum
September 18th, 2006, 20:47
I'll buy the camera, Unlike some people I think it will be a pretty kool thing, to take pictures on my PSP =P. For instance its not like I carry my digital camera, everywere I go. But carrying a PSP everywere I go is almost absolute. So it will be a nice thing to have in my opinion.