PDA

View Full Version : The About Me Topic :)

wraggster
May 1st, 2004, 16:21
This will be a topic where we show the world some of our details, who we are etc , try and follow my lead, so we can all know a bit more about each others.

Name and Where i live etc

Well i come from Nottingham england, im 32 years old, married with 2 kiddies, Jamie aged 8 and Katie aged 11, i work on a great park called the Arboretum as a gardener, ive been a gardener for 16 years and although the moneys rubbish, i do enjoy my work. I live in a lovely 3 bed semi detached house with a lovely garden(what else do you expect).

As a gardener we have won the East midlands in bloom title 11 out of 12 years, Britain in Bloom 2 times and also the Europearn Version called Entente Florale 1 time.

How did i get into the Dreamcast Scene

Well i brought a Dreamcast back in 2000 i think:P, started going to BooB! and was amazed that this console could run emulators, since then ive worked for every emu site for the Dreamcast, had some good times and some bad times.

Thoughts about the Scene

Well i was fed up with the Dreamcast scene for a long while because of either lazy site ops or bad chat rooms/forums so even though i still was a staff member i hardly did a thing, but now i see a scene that is still the best Homebrew scene since the days of the Commodore 64.

The Dreamcast scene is a strong one but no one site can handle everybody, theres too many clash of personalities for that. Also some sites have had bad press because of having ripped commercial emus on them.

Why start DCEmu UK

Ive always wanted to be at a great site that listens to the public and that updates regualry, but also brings in talent and the mainstream to the Dreamcast scene. having looked at the other sites i noticed that nothing was gonna happen unless i gave a massive shock to the scene, that shock would be a site on a fantastic server (thanks Martin, Keith, Passive) a bloody great team with me (LyonHrt,Soully, Captain Skyhawk, Hawq, DrZoidberg, DCDaydreamer, DarkSavoiur69) and some great new newsposters. I know who are the best in the scene and with their help and help from our new Spanish Friends we can ensure the survival of the Dreamcast. THe v2 of the site will be a great moment, when our new look site is opened it will tiddle on this site by a long way and if we can sort the CMS out then we will be able to upload easily :)

This site may or may not be the most popular but with the other Dreamcast sites we will make sure that the scene is always on top of new releases, news etc.

Is the site going to plan ?

Im happy so far with it, i think we have a great team, although most are itching to go but most of their work is for V2, im really pleased we have made good friends with the Spanish Dreamcast scene :), hopefully we can make this place as a worldwide forum for dreamcast coders,fans etc.

Forums are going good, at the mo not one banned person although i always check and im not frightened to lay the smaketh down :P

i prefer to turn them in to decent posters than just ban, but im no soft touch ;)

The future?

This is been such a success already, im so happy that its all going to plan, i want this to be the most up to date site that supports all Dreamcast happenings and im sure we will do it :)

V2 is the future, but obviously we thank all those great coders who donate their time to help us enjoy the Dreamcast.

Anyway thats the basic idea, if you are a coder can you write down your previous work etc, ( i need new interview subjects but i need toknow what work you have done before)

WHurricane16
May 1st, 2004, 17:16

Will Sams, and I live in Spring Lake, NC. *I work as a cable guy, married for 7 months now (Julie), and one child (Courtney).

Bought a DC, then went looking for warez. *Hey, I'm not ashamed to tell the truth about those days. *This scene has made me realize alot of what I was doing back in those early days was wrong. *Anyhoot, I found Sintendo, Gleem!, and the other DC Emu. *I then joined the DC Emu boards around November of 2000 and I proceeded to piss adnans off and therefore banned the first time from DC Emu. *I later joined the staff, but like most of the old schoolers here I was fed up with the way 007 was doing a few things. *Went on to Consolevision, but that slowly went to pooh over time because in my opinion the site had no direction on which way it wanted to go. *I still feel this way, I hate to be honest about it.

Thoughts about the Scene

Was great a couple of years ago. *Could be great once again but I think alot of people's hearts are in the wrong place. *Some don't realize that everything being done is being done for free, but some also feel the need to abuse, rant, and shock people who just want to make the scene grow. *Also, there are alot of fighting and bitching; I fault myself for alot of it. *I think I'm the one single person in this scene who has changed the most, but I can admit it was probably for the worst. :/

How did you come into programming

Was something I always wanted to do in high school, but I grew out of it during my first 5 years in the Army. *After a year in the DC scene I was itching to learn C because the thought of seeing my own code run on my favorite console was such a feeling I can't begin to describe. My first C project happened to be a Dreamcast project, Catz N' Dogz (www.storm-studios.net/catzndogz). It's a calvacade of hacked code, but I'm proud of it. Those who have actually scene the horrendous code (crt0, Burnero) should have shot me for showing it to them. I still have it, but I'm not going to release it. It's horrendous! LOL

Why start Storm! Studios

Wanted a place for others to team up. *We have a great group of people, so I hope they continue to grow as S!S continues to grow.

The future?

Misadventures of Crystala & Tido (www.storm-studios.net/mct). *I want this to be my mark on my little "career". *I love the ideas and concepts me, Paddy, and James have come up with since last July so I'm hoping everyone else will enjoy it. *It seems like everything is cloudy at the moment but I really want to shed some light on this before the end of the year. *This is why I'm working on the comic but work on it has gone slow (I only have 2 (of 8) pages of it drawn.

I think my constant inability to keep my opinions to myself has hurt me. *Seems like Storm! Studios doesn't get the respect it probably deserves, but I fault the negative image some may have of me for that. *Wow, I didn't really want to mention it but oh well. *Anyhoot, we have a great group of guys with a good bit of ideas and creativity. I'm happy with S!S, but I'm not happy with my contributions to it. *Hopefully things will pick up on my end evenually, but my main goal in life is my family & job so my projects are on the backburner for now, but I will continue to help and support the other guys.

Dislike

-People who don't understand that the scene owes them nothing
-oo7Cheatah

souLLy
May 3rd, 2004, 09:42

My name's ben, i'm 20, come from the beautiful capital of england, london. i'm studying multimedia at college whilst doing a selection of menial jobs to pay for it *:-/, i have a beautiful girlfriend and things are generally pretty good right now. I've been staff at all of the big dc sites at different times, and i was the original creator of Boob! covers central. i've kept a lower profile than these gloryhunters wragg and lyon ;) but have been around behind the scenes for a while.

Was checking out vmu animations and saves etc. online, when i came across a little site called dcemulation (then hosted at geocities *::)) and saw some of the ace things that could be done on your dreamcast... gleam, sintendo etc. and was hooked, it was a while before i could actually burn anything but eventually got gleam to burn... beautiful stuff.
Thoughts about the Scene

from the scene's dubious beginnings, people who have been around any length of time will know all about this, i think the scene is in a much better place now. there's not so much of this "ive made a 1337 n64 emu for dc, which i was gonna release but someone said it was fake so im not going to now" and some of what is being done on the console is incredible, just look at feet of fury.

Why join DCEmu UK

well i'd had in my mind the ideas of a great dc site for a long time, and not just another dcemulation or consolevision, something far more ambitious than that, so when i saw wragg was working on this site and lyon was onboard i thought i'd see if they needed a hand, and my ideas for a dc site becam merged with the vision over at DCEmuUK. me and lyon have been slaving away at v2 of the site and im confident that it will be the highest quality dreamcast site by some way. i've heard some of the criticisms aimed at the site already (just another dcemulation clone) but just wait and see, i can chat all day about how great i think it will be but you can decide yourself soon enough.

yeah it's looking very pretty, the main page design is almost done (i still need to do a bit more work) and the new forum is starting to come together thanks to some excellent work on lyon's part. it's a lot of work ahead of us but it does seem like we have a good team with a good vision

The future?

You'll see... and if you think version 2 looks good wait til you see version 3... *::)

Propeller
May 3rd, 2004, 13:09
I'm not sure if this topic goes only for the admins, but I would like to introduce myself, as I've never done it.

My name is Jon, I live in Getxo, a small village resting in front of the Sea. Getxo is in the Basque Country, a small but very active region in the northest part of Spain. Spain is quite heterogeneous, and the some parts differ so much from others, giving the whole country a strange but rich flavour. I'm so happy with this land, full of forests and mountains, and don't feel like moving anymore (I've moved from one place to another 3 times for now... enough moving!)

I'm a Computer Engineer and I'm doing a doctorate degree as a Biochemistry. Now I'm working as a researcher with a grant from the basque government (I'm so grateful...).

Well, I was buggin' a friend of mine about the PS2... and some day he told me that I was doing a baaaad thing willing to buy that console. He also told me that he owns a Dreamcast, and that DC is much better and funnier than every console on the earth... well, that was a bit exagerate from him, but I finally got convinced when he told me that there was a DC homebrew development kit available for download. That was a great finishing move. Fatality! I bought the DC with Star Wars Racer (a baaaad movement) and I was amazed that I bought a new console just to play the same version I had on Playstation... :o and at 50Hz!!!! Well, that first impression was replaced by a more favorable one once I played Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur, and even Shenmue...

I started like almost anyone: Searching for games and warez. That led to some research, because the copies not always worked, and I wanted to know... Later, I visited dcemulation.com searching for clues about the WinCE screen resolution management, and got no real answer about it (well, that's a hard topic!).

And some day, everything changed: I found a online shop that used to sell PAL Dreamcast titles and hardware at very low prices, and started my now HUGE Dreamcast collection. I've destroyed or gave away every illegal copy I owned, leaving only for myself the so knowns as "backups". I'm a bit ashamed of my first days, but I'm so proud of what I own today that I don't care about it.

Later, I started to think on what moved me to buy the Dreamcast: The ability to program the machine. Then, I started to work with it, and now I'm developing a complex molecular tridimensional structure viewer using KGL, and it runs fine :D

As I seen that a whole bunch of people demanded a standarized development environment, I started to build my DCFreeDev kit, which will see the light in english very soon, with some improvements and GP32 support.

I'm also involved on some cutting edge projects in DC and GP32, and also cross platform ones... working with Mekanaizer, Chui, Ron, Pablo, etc...

Thoughts about the Scene

Well, this is a nice question ;)

I think the DC scene wants some heroes... that always post in the forums, share documentation, be at public events, release smash hit software and be perfect ;D

This can only be achieved by some, as Ian Micheal (which is for me a true scene hero, active and always present and open to new ideas), but the whole set of coders cannot be so perfect. So, I demand a bit of understanding, and, as Will said, grabbing the idea that the coders owe them nothing.

Also, I would like to say that I'm quite disappointed by some movements, specially those made by lik-sang (with the BBA issue) and dreamcast-scene, which hardly represents the scene (an always moving scene, and an always static site, that disappoints me). I don't even agree with the new name dreamcast-petition chose, but that's an strategic decission only time will judge.

Why join DCEmu UK

Nice project, nice looking, always moving, open ideas, active webmasters, and... yeah, I wasn't that comfortable in dcemulation.com. Maybe it's caused by the different life style, or accomodation... caused by the excess of power? Or even the whole bunch of people demanding this or that... don't know, and don't wanna know. But I'll continue supporting (if I can...) that great site. Don't wanna disturb them as I'm happy here.

Yes.

The future?

As I'm inminently finishing my "commercial" programming for the Dreamcast (remember, my project as a doctorate degree) I'll start to contribute to the scene with lots of ideas and projects, and even some surprises.

There's a new future we're now modelling, and we *need* to work it out together.

Thanks for reading,

Propeller

wraggster
May 3rd, 2004, 13:24
Thanks Guys :)

This isnt just for Admins or Staff but just an introduce of sorts to the scene and basically you ask yourself the questions :)

Unique but interesting

curt_grymala
May 4th, 2004, 04:57

My full name is Curtiss Andrew Grymala, and I am currently living in West Virginia. I am 25 years old, and have a beautiful wife and three amazing kids. Two of them are 8 year old twins (Taylor - girl and Tyler - boy). They are my step-children, but I love them as my own. The third kid is a 6-month old little girl named Alexis. I work for a soil scientist, inspecting septic systems (I look at shit for a living), doing miscellaneous computer work, performing percolation tests, etc. I have been working with this company since I was a sophomore in high school. I attended college full-time for three and a half years, and finally gave up after I started flunking out my last semester (I was involved in too many extracurricular activities, such as the college radio station, being a Resident Assistant, etc.). I never graduated, but maybe I will some day (I only have about 25 more credits to finish).

I have been a huge fan of Sega for about ten or fifteen years. As soon as I heard that Sega was releasing a new console (the Dreamcast), I rushed right out to Software Etc. (now known as GameStop) and put one on pre-order. It was the first (and pretty much only) game system I ever bought when it was new.
It was about 4 years later before I discovered the "Dreamcast Scene". A friend of mine mentioned that I could play arcade games on my DC, and I started searching for information. I happened upon DCEmulation, and began the laborious process of trying to figure out how to burn the discs. After creating quite a few coasters trying to burn with EasyCDCreator, I finally figured out the correct way to do it. I then discovered demomenu, and subsequently Selfboot Inducer, and I was hooked for life. Then, I started trying out the homebrew games, and I was in heaven.

Thoughts about the Scene

The Dreamcast Scene is incredibly unique. It is unlike any scene with which I have ever been involved. The people come from all over the world, and come from all walks of life. The only thing that we all have in common is our love for the DC. It is truly amazing that there is so much passion, and so much talent in this scene. I am so impressed with every release I see, and I am inspired every time I see a new person join the fold, and figure out how to burn new things.

Why Join DCEmu UK

Honestly, I joined DCEmu UK because Wraggster checked out DCStuff and emailed me some questions. I helped him out, and we started having a running conversation, discussing the future of DCEmu UK and DCStuff. We decided that it would be beneficial to both of us if we were to offer support to each other, and I joined the DCEmu UK forums. Since then, I have found a lot of interesting information on this site, and I enjoy the atmosphere here.

Why Start DCStuff

I originally started DCStuff because I needed a place to host the SBI archives I put together until they could be uploaded to Sbiffy! I then started delving into the world of creating SBT's, and needed a place to put them. After that, I started to realize that there were some large areas that needed to be covered by tutorials, and I started putting some of those together.
Finally, I realized that no amount of tutorials could solve some of the problems people were having. I figured out that the best way to help a lot of people would be to start putting together new helper apps; more specialized ones. So, I got together with fackue and 138, and we decided to form a team of "helper app developers". We invited burnerO to join, but he is going to busy with the new Selfboot Inducer, so he decided to join as a consultant, rather than a full-member of the DCStuff Team.
I created new forums so that we could discuss the various projects we had in mind, and so that people would have a new, friendly place to chat about just about anything, and keep themselves abreast of the DC scene. I began re-working the web site, on which I am still working. Soon, DCStuff will unveil the new site, along with a new helper app, and some other good news.
We will become the newbie's best friend, and be the one-stop shop for anything related to tutorials or helper apps. We will continue to temporarily host SBI's and SBT's, but will not host any new emus/apps/demos/games. People can come here for those things.
Keep in mind, though, that a lot of the planning behind the new DCStuff was going on at the same time that DCEmu UK was being planned, so we did not know DCEmu UK was going to exist until we had already started planning the new DCStuff.

Is the site going to plan?

I don't honestly know for sure what the plan behind DCEmu UK is, but I do know that I am impressed with the direction it is taking.
DCStuff is going according to plan, but it is moving along that plan a little slower than I had hoped. Soon, though, it will be on track and up and running.

The future?

Ideally, in the future, the DC sites will begin to work together better, and we will each have our own specialty. We will work as a network of sites, keeping track of new information and reporting it appropriately.
I do see DCStuff and DCEmu UK working very closely together in the future, and the two sites being a very nice network for information. I see the two sites working together, rather than competing, and helping to nurture a new era of Dreamcast development.

blackpuma
May 4th, 2004, 08:39
Name - Location

Hi u all, I live in Greece (Skidra near Thessaloniki), I'm 17 and going to highschool! All this year i'm getting prepared for the final exams, very important with our edu system (f**kin shit)...
Listening to metal-hardcore-punk-thrash music, and begginer in electric guitar playing.
I got my proficiency in English at my 15, although my syntax isn't good :)

How did I get into the Dreamcast Scene

Well, I'm a newbie :) Its funny, I was talking with a friend of mine about 4 months ago about bying a new colsole but the new ones are a bit expensive! So he came to SEGA and Dreamcast, but the problem was finding one!! So after a big search I found a used system and started downloading games from the net.
One day searching the web I fell to a link to dcemulation, and was a matter of time to get to all the affiliates and DCEmu.com!
By now I have a collection of 30 games, I have bunt and tried almost every software, emus ect (but I have a prob selfbooting elf files)
Quickly became a Virtua Striker fan (my best goal 511!!! have the replay on vmu but cant upload) and... roms collector :/

Thoughts about the Scene

The scene seems very promising! Although new here I watched the birth of the great NeoGeo CD project!
I must say that there is a very friendly atmosphere, and all the tutorials, how-tos, readmes, posts were very helping to me.

Why Join DCEmu UK

Because without joining I couldn't post this!! :)

Favorite Games/Emus

Virtua Striker 2 (my best goal 511!!! have the replay on vmu but cant upload)
Soul Calibur
Virtua Tennis 2K2
NeoCD SDL (metal slug)
Sega Rally
SMS Plus DC (sonic, asterix)
Crazy Taxi 1,2
NBA hoopz
Nester DC (bomberman, kirby)
(Sonic Adventure must be great bu dont heve'em yet)
Prince of Persia
Ikaruga (dificult game)

can't think of others now (suggest games to me please)

The future?

I hope the future to bring more good stuff to the scene....
For now, I have to study for my exams, become a programmer and release a full free non-commercial great geme fo DC!!! (dreams...)

Hawq
May 4th, 2004, 20:23
Name & location of nest

Name, name... I had it round here somewhere, it'll come back to me, I nest in the birthplace of Bentleys (note any Rolls Royce that werent built here be wary of, ok?) Crewe an industrial town where the councill seems determined to knock down almost every building from our past and put up flats to house an invading wave of students (how nice >:( at least the ones next door aint as bad as previous ones at the moment). Ah yes Paul that was it, knew it'd come back to me, currently 27 and feeling 5000 courtesy of my nieces & nephews (best thing about kids in this way, you can give em back at the end of the day ;)) eldest hits 21 this year now that really makes me feel old. Unemployed due to depression and difficulties dealing with people in the real world but hopefull that either I'll learn to tolerate em more or continue to be left alone if I cant.

How'd I get into the scene

I'm in it?, looks around 'hmm staff at dc related sites, got a DC used for emulation, guess I am' but seriously it was around a year roughly after the UK launch and I came across a second hand Jap DC going cheaply as I had some spare cash at the time I bought it, turned out to be one of my better impulse buys, though Sega Rally 2 as the first game wasnt as good as if I'd grabbed Soul Calibur (fantastic with the fishing rod). My DC was mainly just a regular (albiet chipped for imports & UK stuff, it was an asian one) platform for quite a while then whilst browsing around I found dcemu and suddenly I didnt need my PC to play those old classics anymore & even better I could have em on my telly

Thoughts about the scene

Well we've had some rough times and I doubt we'll ever be rid of people confusing emulators with warez and asking where to go for '1337 is0'z' but things are good, Neo CD emulation has arrived allowing the previously impossible Metal Slug 1 & 2 to be run with luck the cd reading code from this may lead to pcsxdc reading actual psx discs rather than needing images (ok my xbox takes the emulation strain these days but the DC has come out of semi retirement for the Neo CD stuff lately.
Looking further ahead I predict on the plus side faster Neo CD emulation with better compatibility, possible Sega CD emulation if we're lucky (& if the DC can handle it decently) and PSX emulation at a playable speed (no offense to those working on it)

Why am I here?

Why are any of us here? are we even here at all? well those two are a bit too deep for this so I'll focus on what brung me to this particular place as I should do.
I'm here because I saw it mentioned over at dcemu and wandered on over to check it out, Wraggster then ensnared me with the net of staff (a +10 artifact, very hard to escape) shortly after and seeing the lack of those that can make other boards hellish at times, & after a small bribe of a chocolate bar, I calmed and was let out of the net to soar among you hopefully I'll prove usefull

Why am I not a developer/coder?

Well my coding ability amounts to basic stuff, literally basic all I can clearly remember is
10 print "dcemu.co.uk rocks"
20 goto 10
I may recall how to add colour but it was many years ago, funny to make the Speccys in shops scroll obscene messgaes though and panic the staff ;) as for anything else I had a pop at compiling my own mame last year but it seems something may have gone wrong when setting up the enviroment for it as it always failed, oddly in a way that completely baffled both ice88 and reaper (as he was then) so I gave up on it. If an easy to use editor for game making appears then you may one day see something from my mighty (lack of) imagination, I'd do a bor mod but my artistic talent is roughly equal to that of a brick :-[

xboxlord
May 4th, 2004, 21:26
I think ill just join in.... *8)

I live in Hastings England and I am 15 Years old. My name is Tom and I am about to start my GCSE exams. I am in love with my games consel the xbox and enjoy making websites and chating on brilliant forums like this one.

Thoughts about the Scene

Well I think emulation scene is brilliant and can think of know other place better to get information and updates about it than DCEmu.co.uk. I enjoy the forums and website and hope it all goes well *:)

- Tom [xboxlord]

curt_grymala
May 5th, 2004, 03:10
Hey Hawq - Your comment about your programming skills reminded me of a sign on saw on Futurama once:

10 Home
20 Sweet
30 Goto 10

Anyways - I know how you feel about programming. I am trying to learn, but it is a very arduous and slow process. I'll get it one of these days, if I don't die first. Damn, why can't we all go back to programming in LOGO, and forget about all these complicated languages.

GabbiAngel
May 5th, 2004, 11:05
Name and Where I come from

My name is Gabbi and I originally come from Canada, but now I live with Ian Micheal (because I am his wife) in Australia. So now Im a Can-Aus ...or Aus-Can .. whatever sounds better lol

I really like emulation and the DC and Ian *is in it, so I am too! :) I think it's great that Ian is involved in the DC Scene. (Dont worry, I'll never get pissy and tell him to leave lol)

Thoughts about the Scene

Well, I signed up to this really rude place that was dissing my babe, and I didnt really have a good impression at first, but as I started getting more involved (behind the scenes mainly doing Ians site), I realized that that the people at the place with the black yaBB board werent normal... and there are heaps of cool people about!
The DC scene is still young, so it'll have it's turmoil for quite a few many years..

Other interests

I have a website that sports my very first (and only) flash game www.geocities.com/gabbiangel01 called Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist Solitare. I noticed there wasnt anything for kids to play on the net that was Yu-Gi-Oh related, so I made the flash game.
I did some music for Ian to for galaga, and I am looking into learning 3d art (like CGI and stuff... :-/)

and what I look like?

Im sure most of you saw my picture on Ians site (sporting the fabulous IMR Tech Tshirt made by Orange_Ribbon *:D) If not, Im on the front page right now lol http://www.imrtechnology.ngemu.com

one more thing...

Am I the only chick in the DC Scene!? :P

Gabbi *

souLLy
May 10th, 2004, 11:11
theres been a few girls in the scene dont worry, t0rmenta, tailz and phan to name 3 :P

WHurricane16
May 10th, 2004, 12:07
theres been a few girls in the scene dont worry, t0rmenta, tailz and phan to name 3 :P

Damn, Tailz was one crazy chick. Also, don't forget about Atani's wife. She hasn't been around in a bit, though.

LyonHrt
May 10th, 2004, 19:18
There was also MelissaX, who ran the dreamspec cover/compatability site

Christuserloeser
May 13th, 2004, 20:18
*this post will contain some lines about me soon* *:)

Keith
May 21st, 2004, 19:25

My name is Keith and I am from Vancouver Washington USA. I have pretty much lived here and in Portland Oregon all my life. I am 28, married, and have 3 kids (all boys).

Thoughts about the Scene

I think the DC scene when it comes to homebrew has been going great for awhile now. As far as emulating the actual console it is really starting to pick up and I believe this year will be the year for DC emulation. As far as the whole emulation scene I think it is still pretty active and a lot of the excitement and focus is in the NextGen console and Arcade emulation.

Why Join DCEmu UK

I joined DCEmu UK because it is in my opinion the best DC homebrew and emulation site. It is fresh new and exciting. Also wraggster is a good buddy of mine and I think wrags and his crew are doing a wonderful job here.

WHurricane16
May 23rd, 2004, 21:23
There was also MelissaX, who ran the dreamspec cover/compatability site

That's a blast from the past. Wow, when you think of names like Melissa X you think of the scene in it's infancy. I miss those days :)

wraggster
May 23rd, 2004, 21:49
yeah and she was a hotty too ;)

BoneyCork
June 23rd, 2004, 06:47
Name and where I live etc.

My name is Dan, I live in Manchester, UK where the sun is always shining. I just finished college and Im off to University in October where I'll be studying Japanese and Audio Visual Media. I also work part time for good ol' Wal-Mart/Asda.
If you dont recognise me as BoneyCork, my other (lamer) persona is scykon and I'm mostly known for my old dot cotton avatars, being very opinionated, fairly well off and a retired spammer. People tend to either love me or hate me. I am also an excellent liar, so watch out ;)

How did I get into the Dreamcast scene?

I read an article in a Dreamcast magazine around 2 1/2 years agoEmulation on the DC, they linked to boob.co.uk which in turn linked to dcemulation.com and the rest is history. I registered at DCEmulation in April 2002 I believe, but had been into it before then.

Thoughts about the scene...

To be honest, I'm fairly distant from the scene now (see next section), but I'm glad it's still going and shows no signs of stopping. It's great to see the DC still in action, because it was a very misunderstood console.

Why am I here?

Originally I joined the scene as a user, so I could emulate stuff without having to use our family PC. I worked for a while moderating the dcemulation.com null forum (where I had become a resident spammer) and I wrote a number of homebrew reviews, I also became dcemulation.com channel staff, and helped out alot of people. I then left for a few months, and made a return in April 2003.
Since then, Ive got my own PC (getting rid of my need for Dc Emulation) and have lost most of my interest in the scene. However, I still try to keep up and now stay primarily for the excellent online community.

Other interests...

Anime (Chobits, Wolfs Rain, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Lain and Full Moon Wo Sagashite are my favourites)

Manga (Naruto and Chobits are my favourites)

Japanese (Im kinda learning this myself, but will be studying it properly at university)

JPop/JRock (L'Arc En Ciel, Move, Asian Kungfu Generation, Z, Cave, videogame OST's and a million Anime Opening & Ending songs)

Movies (Lord Of The Rings and Shawshank Redemption are my favourites)

Television (24, Family Guy, Simpsons, Red Dwarf)

Videogames (GTA:VC, Shenmue 1/2 and Ico are my favourites excluding...)

RPGs (Ragnarok, Final Fantasy*, Seiken Densetsu series, Disgaea)

Beer, Pretzels (I have an addiction), Women (I have an addiction), Pot Noodle and my sweet Nokia 6600.

The future

I dunno, probably more of the same for a few years, then Im off to Osaka, Japan where everything will change

*I am especially fond of pointing out that FF7 is an amazingly average RPG, FF8 is better than it, along with FF6, FF10 and quite a few other games I cant be bothered mentioning. ;D

WHurricane16
June 23rd, 2004, 07:08
yeah and she was a hotty too ;)

Aaah, I never saw a pic of her. Where is she now? She has a job in the industry, right? I wonder if she still plays has her DC.

tyrell
June 23rd, 2004, 08:57
Name and where I live etc.

My name's Stephane. I live in the east region of Belgium, in a town called Heusy. I'm living in a very quiet appartement. I have a day job as a Java/c/c++/c#/.net developer. I'm doing a lot of funny stuff like generating PDF on the fly, programming jsp/servlets, thins kind of things.

A friend of mine (Kroustibat, SMSPlus) had done a very good emulator on this platform. Having done a spectrum emu running on the gp32, and owning a dc I thought it would be cool to see if porting the emu could be quickly done. It took me only one week to have the emu running. It's now much more polished than the gp32 version. I'm adding features almost every week. The DC is very fun to develop for !

Thoughts about the scene...

It seems like it will be alive forever. There are lots of talended devers on the DC and I hope that we will see soon a nice genesis emu.

Why am I here?

To post news/updates about my emu, discuss dcprogramming and so on...

Other interests...

Mainly music. I own a lot of music gear, and when I have one or two minutes left I'm composing ambient stuff.

I like going to progressive rock concerts. We have a local club which allows us to see many very good bands, like Epica, After Forever, The Gathering, Flower Kings, RPWL, Camel, and many many others.

Development on the games consoles.

The future

Dunno, really. I don't want to be a pro dever forever. I'd like to change my orientation quite a bit. Probably as an analyst or as a project leader.

curt_grymala
June 23rd, 2004, 09:29
I like going to progressive rock concerts. We have a local club which allows us to see many very good bands, like Epica, After Forever, The Gathering, Flower Kings, RPWL, Camel, and many many others.

Any Dream Theater involved in your music interests? If not, you should definitely check them out. They're about the best prog rock (prog metal?) band I've ever experienced.

BTW - Welcome to the scene (even though you've been here for a few months already). Glad to have you aboard.

souLLy
June 23rd, 2004, 17:09
curt, check out the band sikth, modern schizo prog-metal. you may like or hate it :)

krowstrife
July 9th, 2004, 07:36
Name- Joseph Norton
Age-15
Location- Independemce, MO
religion- antesist
Video Game Systems-
Atari VCS,Oddessy2,ColecoVision,Coleco Colortorn,Nes,SmS,Genesis/megadrive,SNES,Saturn,Ps, PsOne,n64,Dreamcast,PS2,Gamecube,Xbox

Hand-Held- Gbc,Gba,Neo*Geo pocket color,virtual Boy, N-gage, gamegear

Hi I am Joseph, I am from independence, missouri
its a small town famous for people leaving (the trails west for anyone familar to Us history).oh yeah mecca for morons and CoC
I am 15 have no job in high shcool(well its summer),

well I not really involed as in I can't program. but i play beats of rage and emus

Why am I here?
well I started to learn about my N-gage and Dreamcast and emus for them, I like posting here about ngage and the other dicussions

Other interests...
Videogames,History of Videogames,some Anime,Sentai,Martial Arts (amatuar), emulation, Collecting Video Game Systems from 70'S and up,computing around my pc,spamming stupid people with my mad video graphical skills

Interesting Facts:o
I have robbed a bank, never been in jail,IQ is 130.
I have modified this post 15 times
Yes that is the only interesting facts I can say

Future Hopes

- being with my girlfriend for as long as i can, get a Neo*Geo,getting a copie of Panzer Dragoon Saga,completing that said game,Finish my all N-gage review,Make the first episode of the CRAZY JOE CRACKA SHOW,finish high school,get into DigiPen university,write my seven books and three movies, learn japanese, go to japan

Music
Heavy metal,aremeain folk,Nu-metal,soft rock,jazz,classical,barouqe,romantic(period),class ic hiphop

Fav band- System of a down

FOOD
BQQ(yes that jazz and video games are the only good things us americans ever did)
pizza
mexican food
skittles
those are the four food groups

Favorites ;D

game overall- pong!(arcade,atari,coleco colortorn)

Fighting game- king of fighters (n*g,arcade,saturn,ps,dc,gc,hopefully n-gage)

Rpg-Final fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger {tie} (snes)

Puzzle- Tetris *(nEs,Xbox)

Sports- Nba LIVE 97 (Saturn)

Action-Zelda OoT and MM *(n64)

party game- Super Smash Bros (n64)

Scary-Enternal Darkness

mindless game with no plot- Animal Crossing and GTAvc {tie} (GC,Ds-PS2,Xbox)

Online- FFXI and Ultima Online third dawn (pc,PS2)

Fps- Doom,heretic,hexan

System- Saturn

HandHeld- NGPC and N-Gage

favorite controller deisign- sega saturn model two for fighting, action, and adventure games_ PS digital for rpgs and racing game

Dislike >:(

Xbox controller
Over obession with GTA
PC games (don't like the upgrades for hardware)
people dissing Apple computers
windows Xp
over obession with halo

Nysis
July 9th, 2004, 23:16
Name Brandon Geveshausen
I live in Independence
i like spaggetti and tacoes
my favorite video game charcter is megaman

DanPotter
January 8th, 2005, 20:39
Woo! Time to bump an old topic out of boredom!

Oh wait.. it's sticky. :D

Name and Where I Live, etc

As my username implies, my name is Dan Potter. Some of you may have heard of me, though I'm somewhat obscure. :D During my time in the DC scene I've lived in Austin, TX, Tucson, AZ, and Portland, OR (all in the US). I'm now living with my wife of several years in Portland. (Hi Keith! My condolences on your location north of the river...)

Little known fact: Dan's wife is also a Dreamcast fan!

I work at a day job as a software developer writing aircraft flight data analysis and visualization software. No, it's not nearly as interesting as it sounds. ("Oh, I update bank software for the Y2K switch...")

How Did I Get Into the DC Scene

Bought a used DC in 2000 at the Tucson Mall's Software Etc to play Soul Calibur. My friends in Austin sent me a link to CDX, the proverbial gears started turning and the proverbial light bulb came on, and I started searching for how to put my own code in a bootable CD. That let me to Hitmen, Marcus Comstedt, and the YG dcdev list.

The first hit was free. ;) Little did I realize what I was getting myself into by working with Tursi to make libdream...

dcemulation.com .. huh, what's that? Back in my day you whippersnappers, we didn't have web forums about DC dev, and we liked it! :)

Thoughts About the Scene

It was a complete thrill ride from the beginning and it's been a blast to make and maintain KOS and FoF, and I understand a little why people can get so addicted to public office (where at least the honest ones spend all their time trying to do nice things for other people!) Unfortunately I also understand why people retire quietly from public office after a while, too.

I think Sega pulling out of the DC market in their abrupt way was a fatal death stroke for the DC. They could have retired it slowly, but it's obvious that someone up high had a grudge against it. That sudden lack of interest in the DC didn't really do wonders for the DC scene either. FoF did reasonably well for what it was, but comparing notes with shareware developers on the PC and Mac has given me a better understanding of the words "niche market".

Hobbyists still seem to be going strong with it though, and that's great to see. Plus there's the commercial homebrew due out from GOAT Store still, which is promising.

Honestly though after almost 4 years I'm a little bored with it all these days, but to those of you who are still going strong with your hobby, I salute you!

Why Start Cryptic Allusion?

CA has been around for a long, long time.. much longer than the DC scene. It's only during the scene that we got an excuse to make it a "real" business, and that was for the purpose of selling FoF and future games.

Tryptonite is now shaping up to be the Duke Nukem Forever of the DC scene but we'll see what happens...

Is It Going to Plan?

Not really, but what ever does? :) It's gone some interesting places I hadn't hoped for and it's not going some other places I'd really hoped for. The best thing it's accomplished for me though is that it gave me an excuse to go to conventions and meet a lot of DC scene fans. That's the been the best part about it all!

Or does this question mean "getting into the scene"? In that case, heck no! Yowsers! :) I never even intended to do that. Talk about jumping on the tiger's back.

The Future

I'm fickle, so it's hard to say. As I said I don't have as much interest in the DC anymore and I've been getting an interest in doing Mac and maybe PC shareware games lately. Plus I have other big interests like spending time with my wife, and other side interests like cycling, art, and writing. I'd really like to finish up our current DC projects at the least but ... Cleo cannot see! the crystal ball is murky ;)

Mental2k
January 13th, 2005, 13:55
("Oh, I update bank software for the Y2K switch...")
lol, its 2005, how have they survived for the last 5 years?

DanPotter
January 13th, 2005, 20:20
lol, its 2005, how have they survived for the last 5 years?

^_^;;

I suppose you haven't seen Office Space? No, that's not what I really do as a day job.

quzar
January 13th, 2005, 22:41
since it's back ill do it to!

Name and Where I Live, etc
My name is Donald. My home is in Miami, FL but right now im in Pittsburgh, PA studying at Carnegie Mellon University. I plan on majoring in CS, but my true hope for making a living would be to invent somethingand not have to work =P.

How did I get into the DC scene?

I actually joined dcemulation.com before i owned a DC. I was wondering if i should get a DC for christmas of 2001. I did and got Dsnes. Then I did nothing for a long time until i came back to the forums about a year ago last month and became friends with Ian Micheal. I helped him with some of the things he was working on and in turn he helped me get a dcdev environment set up. From there, well it doesnt really matter, i havnt done much of importance, but yea =P.

Thoughts about the scene

Frankly i feel that it is very redundant for no real reason. We have about 4 major websites that all end up posting the same news, yet in order to keep up to date you have to kind of be at all of them because of the forum discussion. I understand why its like that, but also that it doesnt help anything.

meh?

Some of my friends call me Pope Donald because of a series of incidents when i "blessed people" using a waterbottle with the lid not on all the way.

ptr.exe
February 24th, 2005, 17:20
As im fairly new to the scene most of you wont know me so...

Name and where I live

** Name Coming Soon** im from a delighful little town in West London also known as Hounslow. Lived since i was born and although its a complete sh*thole its still got that cosy home feel to it :)

How did I get into the DC scene?

Well i bought a DC on the cheap only about 3 months ago now and when searching google i found this site and im glad i did. Although i dont play much of the homebrew as im on a 56k dial up so downloading large files isnt really an option, i use loads of the emus to play games that i never had the first time round and would be too hard to track down now.

Thoughts about the Scene

To any coder or developer of any game - you are amazing. i used to program small games for my old Amstrad CPC464 and that was hard enough to learn that language, but compared to the code used now it may as well have been english because the code now is SOOOO more complicated, im currently trying to learn C++ but as always its hard to find the time and its hard anyway.

The future

Im only in sixth form now and only 17 so theres alot of time for me to learn some code and maybe program some simple games for DC. I'd like to take up developing games as a hobby, because since my 464 broke ive been wanting to create some games.

Oh and good topic wraggster ;)