PDA

View Full Version : AmplituDS Released

wraggster
September 16th, 2006, 15:04
Dark Knight ez (http://amplituds.drunkencoders.com/)posted this news/release:

Hey all.

AmplituDS is my first real project for the NDS, and it being one of the first homebrew games to feature (IT) music and not only that, but on top of that it's actually also used as gameplay element.
It's based on the gameplay of Amplitude for the PlayStation 2. From the people who also created Guitar Hero.

The current release only uses SRAM to save one's highscores and options.
Support for FAT and thus allowing people to create (and insert) their own game stages will follow shortly, also including the ability to write the savefile as a file to the inserted FAT card.

Other than that... It should be noted that the game is not the easiest game out there. For beginners, I recommend starting out by choosing Close View as camera mode and using the Turrican version. The SMB remix stage is harder but more fun if you get it right due to the high recognisability factor of the song. :)

So, have fun!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

JKKDARK
September 16th, 2006, 15:08
Great job, Dark Knight ez ;)

GamerGuyDude
September 16th, 2006, 20:05
Hmmm... how can I put this simply....

This game is the best homebrew game I've ever played. Period.

Congratulations, you have nailed exactly what made Amplitude and it's younger brother Frequency so fun to play. I first played your game using the face buttons and that was great, then I tried with the stylus and it felt like a whole new game!

I really wish I had the talents to contribute to your project, but unfortunately the most I can offer is encouragement.

Also, a word of advice, don't worry about the ship. The game is barely playable when in ship-view camera mode. The second viewpoint is much nicer to play. If you're going to do anything about graphics, maybe spruce up the white rectangle a bit like what Frequency did. http://www.the-nextlevel.com/reviews/ps2/frequency/screen1.jpg

The background looks beautiful. No need for changes there! I would focus your effort on maybe adding a track or two. Five seems like a good number. A vocal track would be amazing!

All in all, a lovely piece of work. Kudos and good luck!

ACID
September 16th, 2006, 20:47
Super great job

Arimasen
September 16th, 2006, 22:15
I just recorded myself playing this game for anyone who wants to know what it looks like during gameplay. I hope you enjoy it (and I hope the first post can be updated with this, and possibly the creator of AmplituDS contacted about its first movie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IhZO1JPQKo

Junixx
September 16th, 2006, 22:58
lol once i figure out how to play this game it will probably be better....

:Edit:

Ok i got it now its a good game :)

Mr_Biggs
September 16th, 2006, 23:07
Dis be that shit that makes me happy, g. or some crap like that. love it bro, now we just need some MP3 support.

Video_freak
September 16th, 2006, 23:09
This makes me wish I had a passcard for my DS... :(

Talka1ot
September 16th, 2006, 23:41
Anybody wanna give me a quick rundown on how to play? I never got the original but I always wanted too. That video was nice, but I didn't see what your hands were doing while you played. If it all sounds good, I'll load this shit up tonight.

And yeah, mp3 support would be awesome.

MAD2X
September 17th, 2006, 00:47
Is this supported on supercard SD? I can't get it to work and I really want to try it.....

Arimasen
September 17th, 2006, 02:12
Anybody wanna give me a quick rundown on how to play? I never got the original but I always wanted too. That video was nice, but I didn't see what your hands were doing while you played. If it all sounds good, I'll load this shit up tonight.

And yeah, mp3 support would be awesome.

It plays just like Frequency/Amplitude. Notes scroll, you hit them. Once you combo a full bar of the track you are on, it clears and goes on autoplay for a short while for you to move to the next track and play that one. You have to keep moving to keep a good combo up.

Trigger_Happy00
September 17th, 2006, 02:24
Frickin' awesome, it works (so far) on the MMD.

Talka1ot
September 17th, 2006, 02:37
Sounds good so far, I'ma load it up.

Himura
September 17th, 2006, 23:36
It's funny, I was going to try to learn DS coding to make this same type of game! Great job! Now, just find a way to let us make our own songs, and we're golden!

Talka1ot
September 18th, 2006, 01:48
Someone needs to get on making a guitar hero for the DS pronto. Like, make it like DDR on the top with the frets and whatnot (Use color coding, but throw like an arrow or a button lable inside the color) and with shitty graphics or whatever. Make the bottom screan touch sensitive, and allow it to take up/down motions as strokes and draw some strings/GH wedge with a moving animation or whatnot.

How hard would that be to make for someone who made this game?

SmaMan
September 18th, 2006, 01:55
It works on my MMD until I go to "Select Stage" on the menu. Then it says loading song for a bit, then the screen gets a bit darker and it freezes. How did you get it to work on yours, Trigger Happy?

LordArchan
September 18th, 2006, 01:56
It works on my MMD until I go to "Select Stage" on the menu. Then it says loading song for a bit, then the screen gets a bit darker and it freezes. How did you get it to work on yours, Trigger Happy?
yea same happens on mine, the screen just darkens and then it freezes on my MMD.

EDIT: well i got it to work, but you need to rename it bootme.nds whitch i dislike to do, it is a great game, although i would like a different way to boot it.

ShinaKitsune
September 18th, 2006, 20:37
Looks aweseome, good work.
I can't get it to boot on my SCLite though~

SmaMan
September 19th, 2006, 02:09
yea same happens on mine, the screen just darkens and then it freezes on my MMD.

EDIT: well i got it to work, but you need to rename it bootme.nds whitch i dislike to do, it is a great game, although i would like a different way to boot it.
Aww. Now I'm gonna have to rename it every time I want to play it. And since it never seems to read my CF card when it's in the MMD, I'm going to have to unscrew it everytime I feel like playing it.

P.S. Anyone happen to know how I could fix this problem?

zanysmash
September 19th, 2006, 09:13
Looks aweseome, good work.
I can't get it to boot on my SCLite though~

working on my SCLite, just copied the .nds file into microSD at root directory. I got latest firmware SCLite 1.63

Got 108 points on Turrican version! :p

ACID
September 19th, 2006, 10:00
This makes me wish I had a passcard for my DS... :(
You need to get one freak ther not that expencive.:rolleyes:

LordArchan
September 19th, 2006, 14:57
i hate having to make it bootme.nds because i also want to listen to music, which I can't. :( i know i asked it before but is there anyway to fix it?

SmaMan
September 20th, 2006, 02:42
Same thing here. At least this game is worth doing that. I managed to get over 200 in the Turrican one the other day.

P.S. You are planning on making more than one song per .nds file right?

Dark Knight ez
October 7th, 2006, 01:06
Hey guys.

I just noticed all your responses to my game AmplituDS. Thank you for all your great responses.

To those who want a different way of loading it:
The next version will have FAT support. If your card is supported to be read from by Chishm's FAT library, you'll have a blast. Also with trying to create your own stages. :)

Anyway, I won't really discuss all the new features now. There are a lot. Check ds-scene.net for a quick sneak-preview.

To the person who created the video:
Thanks. :) I was searching for "research material" (I don't actually own the game Amplitude, just played it a couple of times) and came across the video of my own game. Totally sweet. You were pretty good at it too. The topscreen is not glitched in the new version anymore. And you'll also like the new di--- I'll not go into that actually. Let's just say you'll like a lot about the new release which is coming up. :p

See you guys around.

pleasntnightmare
October 10th, 2006, 03:57
I loved this game, the first time I played it. BUT!

Is anyone else having a problem with the game locking up after the first time you play it?

If so...a little would help be appreciated!! :)

thanks

SSaxdude
October 10th, 2006, 04:15
I love the game Amplitude, I used to play that online back in the day.

iball
October 10th, 2006, 07:11
I'm waiting on the FAT versions...

Dark Knight ez
October 11th, 2006, 18:49
"Is anyone else having a problem with the game locking up after the first time you play it?"
Hmm... at that moment in time, it tries to save to SRAM. That might be what's causing it. I haven't heard of other cases where it crashed doing that though. Could you specify what card and what setup you're using?

To all other people: keep your eyes open this weekend.