PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Racers 2 Playtest

wraggster
September 16th, 2006, 15:22
Heres an excerpt:

So, two years ago, the PSP was released, and one of the biggest launch titles for the system was Namco's Ridge Racers. Essentially, the title was a compilation of the classic Ridge Racer courses from previous games rolled into one package. Since the game's release, Namco has been giving the system a lot of love with quality titles and updates to some of their classic titles, such as the Tales series. When the company announced plans to release a new Ridge Racer for the system, there was definitely some excitement, especially when screenshots were released which showed off tracks from previous Ridge games that didn't make the cut in Ridge Racers. If this were a world where everything went right and things always turned out the way they should, Ridge Racers 2 would've had tons of new tracks from the previous titles as well as some from the 360's RR6, but that's not how things turned out. If you're a Namco fan, you might want to turn back now, the next couple of hundred words are not going to be pretty.

To focus on what's actually new in Ridge Racers 2, there are around ten new tracks in the game, taken from various Ridge Racer titles of the past. My personal favorite, Phantom Mile from Ridge Racer Type 4, is one of those new tracks in the game. Unfortunately, there aren't any tracks taken from Ridge Racer 6. Two new modes appear in the title; Duel, which allows you to race one on one with a computer-controlled opponent using a similar car to yours, and Survival.

Full Article at IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/733/733018p1.html)

jefdizon
September 16th, 2006, 17:10
I tried it and must say that there are some minor tweaks on gameplay. I've played the first game for countless hours, here's what i've noticed on RR2;

Some of the original tracks were made wider, some slopes less steep, some corners broader.
The cars' handling and performance are better, some are more unstable, others faster.
The special cars from the original are revamped (i personally liked the new pacman vehicle) :D

Overall, it's basically the same, the graphics, the annoying announcer, but it can be forgiven for the new tracks and unlockables. I only wish they could've added netplay. But overall it's a good fun game. http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

donne
September 16th, 2006, 17:23
Fact is.. I love Ridge Racer.. Too bad I don't own xbox so I can play its version (and Boo-hooo since I can't taste some of its track). But having a collection of tracks from previous games is okay for me, since now I can have it on the go.

Btw, Wraggster.. There's a lot of RR2 news lately.. I don't know, but why don't you put this news into one of previous ones than making a new threads ? Sorry, just wondering..

nattog
September 17th, 2006, 00:42
it took me quite a bit of time to actually notice any difference at all. definatly not a sequal, more of an add on as the article says. i would only get this if you do not have the original

Veskgar
September 17th, 2006, 01:13
I have the Japanese release as it is the only release so far and I found the game fairly fun. Considering I never really got into Ridge Racer games (I like more realistic games with REAL cars like Gran Turismo, Need For Speed, etc) this game is good clean fun.

I've read this is more than an UPGRADE than a SEQUEL. I've never played the first Ridge Racers so I guess it is better that way. I like how the game controls except for when bumping into walls. The drifting is very fun once you get used to it.

If you are more into ARCADE style fun games instead of more realistic SIMULATION type games then this should be a must own game.

Works on 1.50 PSP's with DevHook!

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
September 17th, 2006, 22:58
yeah, if you don't have the first one , this game is for you!!!!