PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Hackable Via PSP Connectivity

wraggster
September 16th, 2006, 16:32
It wont be long now till the PS3 is released and with PSP Connectivity rumoured and lets be honest it would be silly not to, but on that same token can the PS3 be hacked for Homebrew via the PSP Connectivity.

Anyone got thoughts on this ?

Video_freak
September 16th, 2006, 16:33
I never thought of it that way. Nice thinking wraggster. Now we just need the PS3 to come out for hackers to try... :)

Rocksil
September 16th, 2006, 16:35
That is truly possible but some thing like this has really happened b4

not here anymore
September 16th, 2006, 16:48
what about hacking the ps3 with the rgb cable + pad. We could short-circuit the component output and link it to the DATA line of the pad to hack the PS3!!
Seriously how lame those news can be is beyond my comprehension.
But i guess you don't care as the number of comments increases, then you can keep on selling those ad spaces.
LAME.
I think i'm through with this site. 1 worthy news out of 10, and it's copied from elsewhere.
ENOUGH! BYE!

JKKDARK
September 16th, 2006, 16:51
just only we need to wait.

Video_freak
September 16th, 2006, 16:53
what about hacking the ps3 with the rgb cable + pad. We could short-circuit the component output and link it to the DATA line of the pad to hack the PS3!!
Seriously how lame those news can be is beyond my comprehension.
But i guess you don't care as the number of comments increases, then you can keep on selling those ad spaces.
LAME.
I think i'm through with this site. 1 worthy news out of 10, and it's copied from elsewhere.
ENOUGH! BYE!
He might have just come up with a way of hacking the PS3, or just entertaining us for 5 minutes. So just shut up about putting DCEmu down. It's the PSP site out there and the only one I visit! :mad:

Jpdeathblade
September 16th, 2006, 16:54
Excuse me but what a little bitch shadow runner is....

Hey how you think they site stays open? And ya news is from other places. Hell turn on the news stations and youll see they are all reporting the same thing. Its because not everyone wants to go to one site to see this stuff.

Anyway I hope the ps3 can be hacked into playing gameboy and sega games etc. And with that HD you ca store alot of stuff on it.

gamesquest1
September 16th, 2006, 17:04
errrr well im pretty sure that by the time ps3 is out there will probably be 2-4 updates by then and i very much doubt that the psp will have any sort of ability to load code onto the ps3 it will just be used as some little fad to make people buy both like ....whooooo we get a new charecter if we go out and buy a psp and this game ive just bought again yeas that character is well worth spendin £200 to get nah highly doubt they would give much leyway for psp users to access the ps3.......but then again i was shocked how simpley people got games onto the first psp's drag and drop i couldnt believe that

mike03$$$
September 16th, 2006, 17:16
I think that they can use eboot pbps cause of the memory card slots and maybe a possible windows xp

DragonPimpsta
September 16th, 2006, 17:21
Thatr'd be cool, too bad i wont have a ps3 :(

psychadelicious
September 16th, 2006, 17:36
Yea that shits too expensive. Perhaps one of my ghetto friends will come across a few and then I can get one for cheap.

Jonesyxxiv
September 16th, 2006, 17:55
I hope so but I doubt it.

StealthCP
September 16th, 2006, 18:01
It Sony sees this, they'll be sure to try and stop it for sure.. :D

PSPdemon
September 16th, 2006, 18:03
hmmm.....

i think its fair to say its possible......thats unless if sony decides to make it that only "certain" files are sent to and from the psp to the ps3....

but it is very possible....

( thats my opinion.... )

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

mike03$$$
September 16th, 2006, 18:04
just watch next thing you know windows xp for ps3 just watch

klisejo
September 16th, 2006, 18:04
Yeah, but what if sony does PS3 firmware updates like theyve done with the psp.

hakibou24
September 16th, 2006, 18:06
lol, great idea

jimjamjahaa
September 16th, 2006, 18:12
there were a lot of talk about ps3 linux. and not just that the ps3 firmware is based on linux (which it is) but that you will be able to boot a traditional .iso and install a traditional operating system on the thing

if this is true, it will make the ps3 for a lot of poeple

imagine, full compatability with ps1, 2, 3 and emulation for all possible platforms, with the power of the cell processor giving you some unreal homebrew games. also all linux games, and any games for windows that run on wine

but, that is only a dream at the moment because there has been no confirmation or denial

mike03$$$
September 16th, 2006, 18:35
there will probaly be devhook ps3 so dont update we learned our mistakes with the psp so we know what to look for

mike03$$$
September 16th, 2006, 18:36
and windows xp i say watch it will be lots of homebrew im getting the 60 gb ps3 thats more than enough memory have what i want

mike03$$$
September 16th, 2006, 18:39
i know tis shouldbe easy for the ps3 i tried the psp one but i need the windows 95 cd and im tryin to search google for someone that has the files already

rehbock
September 16th, 2006, 19:02
It wont be long now till the PS3 is released and with PSP Connectivity rumoured and lets be honest it would be silly not to, but on that same token can the PS3 be hacked for Homebrew via the PSP Connectivity.

Anyone got thoughts on this ?

sony wants to release 3.0 firmware by selling their first Ps3

hm i bet when gonna connect your psp to the Ps3 a message will show up with something like
"Update to 3.0"PWN SONY !!!

masterpsp2.6
September 16th, 2006, 19:40
ill be first in line for the PS3..and i know someone will hack the sheeet out of it!!!

crowba
September 16th, 2006, 19:52
PS3 will already be opened for Homebrew Sony said. Its Linux and 3rd Party development is welcome, so no need for hacking

stotheamuel
September 16th, 2006, 19:53
itll have linux... is there any need???

and it would be a WII killer if they were to allow emulators..>

Can anyone say free virtual console??

What do you guys think is the most powerful console a ps3 could emulate... gamecube,xbox :cool: ...? (no need for ps2)

the_eternal_dark
September 16th, 2006, 20:43
Honestly, it would be sweet if it were going to be open source, but then you'd have rampant piracy and then no developers would want to develop for something that could possibly lose them money. Thats probably the main reason $ony keeps updating the psp, not to just surpress homebrew, but to prevent the theft of the newer games coming out for it.

John Vattic
September 16th, 2006, 21:15
you are all getting your hopes up.

as of now sony read this, and has a 5 person team working on blocking the possibillity. for good!

so thanks alot for NOT keeping your big mouths shut.

:mad:

MicroNut
September 16th, 2006, 21:21
Will the PS3 be hacked?
Probably.

The PS3 hasnt see the light of day yet.
So no one has had the opportunity to take it apart

And no one has worked with the PSP and PS3 together.

At this time, Anything is possible so the idea is premature.

Chackan
September 16th, 2006, 21:32
Well, now that you talked about it in public, Sony won't allow it xD

crowba
September 16th, 2006, 22:00
There will be a virtual environment that allows Homebrew Code but makes Iso Emulation and special syscalls impossible, Sony made that clear on E3 this year so this topic is obsolete

hksrb25s14
September 16th, 2006, 22:04
lol It would be funny if Sony put FW on the PS3, man that would bite.

motormaniac
September 16th, 2006, 22:06
That would Be so Awsome if u could run hombrew on PS3, I wish i could aford a PS3

Video_freak
September 16th, 2006, 22:18
That would Be so Awsome if u could run hombrew on PS3, I wish i could aford a PS3
Same here... :(

MicroNut
September 16th, 2006, 23:03
a member of this site is in possession of a PS3 Development unit, and we can confirm completely, that the current image exploit available for 2.01+ psp's also crashes the PS3 while in the XMB (Does not run the code, but does kill the xmb completely).

This is a quote from another website.
I wont quote the rest because it flames kiddies.

Sony will certainly be watching all forms of hacks regarding attacks on its IP as well as successful hacks against its competitors like the Xbox360.

Its also easy to say that nothing is hacker proof, its always just a matter of time.

gimpyjr
September 16th, 2006, 23:09
Dude. I posted this exact same type of thread in 2005 at the start of the PSP scene and everyone thought I was nuts. But if you all want to spend $600 on a PS3 just to use it for homebrew you are the one who is nuts. :-)

Not to mention what could you possibly write for the PS3. It has 8 processors. 8! Not to mention if developers can't even write code for it how would you expect us too.

MicroNut
September 16th, 2006, 23:21
There are many ways to compromise any machine.
Buffer overflows are just one.

But if you all want to spend $600 on a PS3 just to use it for homebrew you are the one who is nuts

I agree up to a point.

The original Xbox emulates almost everything a gamer might want.
(And XBMC is just an incredible application.)
But it doesn’t emulate everything or all of the potential content perfectly.

So then there is the future.
There is room for a more powerful console to take over the homebrew scene.

So far it isn’t the Xbox360.
The hacks for that machine do not yet allow homebrew.

gamesquest1
September 16th, 2006, 23:50
There are many ways to compromise any machine.
Buffer overflows are just one.

I agree up to a point.

The original Xbox emulates almost everything a gamer might want.
(And XBMC is just an incredible application.)
But it doesn’t emulate everything or all of the potential content perfectly.

So then there is the future.
There is room for a more powerful console to take over the homebrew scene.

So far it isn’t the Xbox360.
The hacks for that machine do not yet allow homebrew.
Well its not impossible for people to buy i console just for homebrew so far i bought a xbox and a psp just for the fact that the homebrew on them where so amazing.....and upon remebering im amazed how good the psp homebrew is as the xbox homebrew scene even had an official xbox development kit when they where making theres and virtually nothin was possible without this so i have to say this now makes me appreciate the psp scene alot more now....thinkin abar it lol

MicroNut
September 17th, 2006, 00:01
Well its not impossible for people to buy i console just for homebrew

It's the primary reason I own 3 Xbox's.
Aside from a few games for the xbox that I love
(Halo2 with keyboard and mouse)
I use my Xbox's for emulation, streaming audio and video.

I bought a PSP so I could finally have a portable S/NES and Genesis.

I love Genesis emulation on the PSP as well.
But I have to say... that the Genesis Nomad that I have looks and plays games better than the PSP.

F9zDark
September 17th, 2006, 00:05
I too have heard that PS3 will ship with Linux preinstalled on its hard-drive. So hacking it is pretty moot.

Also, there really is no need for emulating PS1 and PS2 games; Sony failed the PS3's backwards compatibility quality tests when 40 PS1-PS2 games didn't work properly. With that kind of dedication from Sony, who needs to waste HD space and processor threads running emulators?

gamesquest1
September 17th, 2006, 00:20
I too have heard that PS3 will ship with Linux preinstalled on its hard-drive. So hacking it is pretty moot.

Also, there really is no need for emulating PS1 and PS2 games; Sony failed the PS3's backwards compatibility quality tests when 40 PS1-PS2 games didn't work properly. With that kind of dedication from Sony, who needs to waste HD space and processor threads running emulators?
Errrrr have a guess what people dont ONLY want to emulate ps1 and ps2 they want loads of consoles....and if you want to be funny about it you ps3 will be "WASTING" threads emulating the ps1 and ps2 even if you just using them with the backwards compatabilty as thats alls that the ps3 will be doing with them.

pibs
September 17th, 2006, 00:37
ill get a ps3 if it emulates a dreamcast and xbox, as for hacking the ps3...nothing is impossible, maybe just take out the hd and run some code on it through your pc?

SnoopKatt
September 17th, 2006, 00:39
ill get a ps3 if it emulates a dreamcast and xbox, as for hacking the ps3...nothing is impossible, maybe just take out the hd and run some code on it through your pc?
I hope someone will make a Dreamcast emulator too, since it's very possible (DC is 200mhz, PS3 is 3200mhz, 200*7=1400mhz, which means it's very capable of running DC), but I don't know about the XBox (XBox is 733mhz, PS3 is 3200mhz, 733*7=5131mhz). This is considering that you usually need a machine about 7 times as powerful to emulate it. Of course, if you made some shortcuts or if the processors were similar, maybe the PS3 could do it.

It's going to be tough, I'm sure there will be several security measures. But they will probably be a way to get through. Then we'd be looking at one of the most powerful homebrew/emulation machines (PC is definately the most powerful).

mog
September 17th, 2006, 01:00
Hack the PS3? ...Why do we need to?
The only thing that I can see that needs to be hacked is the stupid movie region coding on Blu-Ray.

On DVD, UK and Japan were both in same region (Region 2).
But on Blu-Ray, Japan is in Region A (with the US) while UK is in Region B.

Does that mean that UK PS3's can play Japanese DVD movies but not Japanese Blu-Ray movies? :confused:
Region coding is so stupid; hopefully this can be hacked. :)

Veskgar
September 17th, 2006, 01:06
I'd much rather run homebrew on the PSP and take it anywhere than be limited to running stuff on the PS3 at home.

Any exploit or hack would be cool and the efforts to bring about such things would be appreciated, but I think the PS3 will be pretty secure.

F9zDark
September 17th, 2006, 02:28
Errrrr have a guess what people dont ONLY want to emulate ps1 and ps2 they want loads of consoles....and if you want to be funny about it you ps3 will be "WASTING" threads emulating the ps1 and ps2 even if you just using them with the backwards compatabilty as thats alls that the ps3 will be doing with them.

If you read my post you will see that I mentioned specifically emulating PS1 and PS2 games (which someone mentioned earlier). A person of even average intelligence would have realized that I never mentioned emulating other consoles on the PS3 was a bad idea; just emulating PS1 and PS2 consoles was redundant considering the PS3's capabilities.

As well, using PS3's backwards compatibility to play PS1 and PS2 game discs, isn't "WASTING" threads; the PS3 will, undoubtedly, boot these discs as it would its own games and as the PS2 does with PS1 games.

However, what would be "WASTING" threads, would be to boot into Linux (which would consume a thread) then load an emulator (which, if programmed properly, would consume a thread; if not, diminish the effeciency of the current thread, since now its running TWO programs, Linux and said Emulator) just to gain the same effect that can be completed:

1)More effeciently
2)With less bugs
3)More user friendly design

using the native PS3 menu system/firmware/OS etc.

The moral of the story? Keep your mindless drizzle to yourself.

smith1
September 17th, 2006, 02:34
What's the point of this thread? "PS3 may be able to connect with the PSP. Let's talk about how that may be exploited." Er...

YourStillWithMe
September 17th, 2006, 03:05
I would buy a ps3 but ummm

The Games Are going to be 70-90 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** that

I'm thining im seriously buying the Wii due to the fact that its so expensive who cares if it is compatible with the psp i'll wait till sony gets there head out of there you know what.

Illegal Machine
September 17th, 2006, 03:23
I couldnt care less about a system thats going to cost like a grand to buy when you consider the price, the cost of various accessories, and a few games.

I havent TOUCHED my PS2 for anything other than playing DVDs, GTA, and Katamari. as far as I'M concerned the PS3 would have to do some AMAZING things out of the box in order for me to even consider buying one.

Then you have this so called PSP connectivity, I'd love to see what that could mean. now I think the PS3 is supposed to have a location free unit built into it, but like I said, I'm probably not getting one.

Veskgar
September 17th, 2006, 04:15
I hope thats not true. If game sales are what make or break a console, I won't be buying any $70.00-$80.00 games. $59.99 is the MAX I'd consider paying for a GOOD game.

goldenmage
September 17th, 2006, 06:45

How 'bout doing some research? Gamestop has already allowed ALL of PS3's launch titles to be pre-ordered at $59.99. Of course, price may change, but if that was likely, gamestop would've put up a disclaimer, which they have not done.

See for yourself ------> http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?filter=0&orderAscDesc=Asc&linkpage=2&rangeFrom=50&rangeTo=74.99&currentpage=1&keyword=ps3&searchtype=adv&platform=0&genre=0&lookin=title&selection=ALL&imageFlag=&sortby=default&searchcount=12&statcd=&publisher=&esrb=&title=

nomi
September 17th, 2006, 07:39
Does ppl here even pay attention to the ps3 news. SONY declared that with ps3 they are supporting homebrew!

mnuhaily22
September 17th, 2006, 08:05
Wow, imagine the homebrew that the PS3 will be able to load(Lauphing moniacly)hahahahaha!!!!

DuRoLuRo
September 17th, 2006, 09:33
I´m going a little of-topic.

I´m gonna get a Wii, and i hope that it will load normal roms in the virtual console, but i don´t think it will. So i just hope that someone will hack the Wii, to use all those free roms out there:)

vladiftodi
September 17th, 2006, 10:07
i think that there will be other methods. thinkijhn of power of ps3, the key could be obtained that way, one think is for sure, piracy will be way more developed that on psp, way more

gamesquest1
September 17th, 2006, 15:59
If you read my post you will see that I mentioned specifically emulating PS1 and PS2 games (which someone mentioned earlier). A person of even average intelligence would have realized that I never mentioned emulating other consoles on the PS3 was a bad idea; just emulating PS1 and PS2 consoles was redundant considering the PS3's capabilities.

As well, using PS3's backwards compatibility to play PS1 and PS2 game discs, isn't "WASTING" threads; the PS3 will, undoubtedly, boot these discs as it would its own games and as the PS2 does with PS1 games.

However, what would be "WASTING" threads, would be to boot into Linux (which would consume a thread) then load an emulator (which, if programmed properly, would consume a thread; if not, diminish the effeciency of the current thread, since now its running TWO programs, Linux and said Emulator) just to gain the same effect that can be completed:

1)More effeciently
2)With less bugs
3)More user friendly design

using the native PS3 menu system/firmware/OS etc.

The moral of the story? Keep your mindless drizzle to yourself.
HAH well heres a quote for you SHUT UP unless you are playing the original game on the original console you are EMULATING the hardware which the game was designed to run on and the fact that a homemade emulator could be more interesting is due to the fact the creator might be able to allow users to play games from many regions and also play them off the hard drive so shove your mindless drivel up you F*ING ARSE you nonce yes the officail one is bound to be better to a degree but the main point is that sony will be the ones implementing how people can use it so there will probably be region locks on the games still which i wouldnt want and im pretty sure anybody who ever imported games would so kep ya sony is amazing shit in your gob course they can make a better emulator cus they are the bloody creators of the console and they also get paid to do so

acn010
September 17th, 2006, 16:05
there is so many ways to hack it.....
wireless is one way too.
only problem is what kind of security they will add

dejkirkby
September 17th, 2006, 16:10
The security will be tight, but as history as always proved, where there's a will, there's a way. The hackers will be rubbing their hands, just waiting to take up the challenge.

J sims
September 17th, 2006, 22:51
actually emulating is only done when you dont have the hardware.The ps2 doesnt emulate the ps1 since it actually has the dedicated hardware installed. However if I am not mistaken the ps3 is using a form of software emulation to run game. I believe what F9zDark is trying to say is that the ps3 would used software hard coded into the linux based firmware to emulate games.

(linux based ps3firmware> Sony emu> ps1game)

rather than load on OS like for example fedora or suse and run a game over that.

(linux based ps3firmware> fedora> homebrew emu >ps1game)

The closer you can get to coding directly to the machine the more efficient your program is going to run. This principle is why alot of homebrew games for psp 1.5 wouldn't work for psp 2.0 for a long time.programs for psp 2.0 couldn't run in "kernal mode"(Not sure if psp 2.0 can't run in kernal mode now).

F9zDark
September 18th, 2006, 03:07
Good points J Sim. Also one has to realize the simple fact, that programming a linux based, cell processor compatible emulator for the PS3 will probably be a severe pain.

I mean, just look at Daedalus for instance. Writing an N64 emulator for the PSP is probably equal to the amount of effort required to write a PS2 emulator for the PS3 that doesn't run in the hardware or native firmware.

And then people have to spend time converting their games into ISOs for the emulator, copying bios information from the PS2 to be installed onto the PS3, since, I gurantee Linux wont allow access to that part of the firmware for an emulator on the harddrive.

All in all its just a ton of wasted effort for little gain.

Now emulating other systems, as I said, is a great idea for the PS3.

Agret
September 18th, 2006, 09:40
I think that they can use eboot pbps cause of the memory card slots and maybe a possible windows xp
....maybe a possible windows xp? Are you retarted? The PS3 has a cell processor, how far away from x86 do you want to get!!!

What's with this speculation about how to run homebrew on PS3? I think it's very easy, simply goto Linux in your PS3 menu and then run your homebrew app/game.... For sony fanboys I can't believe you guys don't know that the PS3 has Linux on it

there is so many ways to hack it.....
wireless is one way too.
only problem is what kind of security they will add
Pfft, you can't seriously believe you'll hack the PS3 over the wifi

YourStillWithMe
September 20th, 2006, 03:39
goldenmage-Yeah, I reserved Tiger 07 and NBA Live 07 from there on the PS3 and the MOD said that the ps3 game prices might increase and he also said sony has been having problems with the ps3 and the blue ray on it. Also-there not doing reserves for ps3 but are for Wii which pisses me off i might just wait a little to get a ps3, like most shouldve done for the 360 because some people went nuts to get that system now you can find it anywhere!