PDA

View Full Version : Metareview - LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

wraggster
September 17th, 2006, 19:34
Via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/17/metareview-lego-star-wars-ii/)

Traveller's Tales was on to something when they decided to take the popular LEGO brand of Star Wars toys and make a video game based on our favorite bricks. The resulting LEGO Star Wars was a novel, family-oriented romp through the galaxy far, far away. LucasArts was more Force sensitive this time around and assumed publishing duties from Eidos for the sequel, LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy. Overall marks are only slightly higher than the first game, but critics agree the stronger source material makes The Original Trilogy worth its weight in galactic credits.

GameSpy (90/100) thinks the sequel's enhanced "born to build" features will appeal to the kid in all of us: "There are a lot more LEGO elements scattered throughout each stage than there was in the first game. By blowing up LEGO objects, you'll often be able to rebuild the scattered bricks into new items that can be used to reach otherwise hidden areas. It really gives you the feeling that you're playing within a living LEGO world."

1UP (80/100) knows the only substitute for a good blaster is a good ship: "While the vehicular stages vary in terms of quality, the mere fact that so many exist really adds to the scope of the game. Lego Star Wars II offers a surprising amount of playtime, and is much larger and longer than the original game (which was one of its biggest criticisms)."

GameSpot (77/100) discovered that fancy next-gen visuals not make one great: "The current-gen console versions all look slightly better than the original Lego Star Wars, while the PC version looks a bit better than those, since it can run at much higher resolutions. The Xbox 360 version has the most graphical flair, with better reflections, better explosions, and a cool lens-focus effect. It's definitely the best-looking version, but it's also got a very minor frame rate problem that crops up when there are a lot of particle effects."

Video_freak
September 17th, 2006, 19:38
Well, the average score would be 82 and a third out of 100. That's good enough for me! :P

Nafogel
September 17th, 2006, 20:36
I love this game. I love Star Wars. Heck, I even love legos(just look at my username and see if you can figure it out :) )

Wils
September 17th, 2006, 21:26
I was reading a rumour earlier that now they've exhausted Star Wars, the next license they'll be working on game-wise will be Lego Batman.

This, of course, would be pretty great. :)

dmac
September 17th, 2006, 23:43
Lego Batman sounds like it could be cool. I never tried any of the Lego StarWars games yet, but I am a big StarWars fan. I have Battlefront I & II. I guess I will have to pick up this game sometime.

ikarimaru
September 17th, 2006, 23:49
My roomies got this for Xbox and I bought it for 360. The 360 version obvious looks a lot better (obviously), but other than that, they're exactly the same, which is good. Sometimes different consoles get different ports (coughcoughGhostRecon:AdvancedWarfightercoughcough ). It's a very fun game, especially on Co-Op, and having the ability to drop another human player into whatever point in the game you're in is definitely a plus. Anyone that loved the first will love this game. Anyone who's generally able to enjoy simple platforming will like it also. :)

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
September 17th, 2006, 23:54
its a very good game, i brought the psp one and its just FUN!!!!! even the grafixs look good on the psp!!!!

JKKDARK
September 17th, 2006, 23:58
it sounds good :)

Veskgar
September 18th, 2006, 01:23
This is a very good game for the PSP. This shows almost perfectly that you can have a console gaming experience in the palm of your hand with the power of the PSP. Games naturally get better with age on any platform and I think this is a sign of great things to come.

I play the PSP more than any other console or handheld now.

I definitely recommend this game to ALL PSP owners. Boy/Girl, Chile/Adult, it doesn't matter. This is a great game for all.

The Hombrew Hunter
September 18th, 2006, 02:41
The DS version pawns as well.

The character creator is sweet, and Co-Op is easy to abuse. Have a friend that's RREEAAALLY far into the game? Have him story/free play a level with cool chars. Progress through to get almost all the chars, end wireless. Go back to your game, beat the next story level, get all the chars from the PREVIOUS level.

I got an Ewok, Endor Luke and Solo, Saber Luke (one of 'em) and others after the FIRST LEVEL of Episode IV A New Hope.

Yay having a friend who is a lego and star wars dork!

dejkirkby
September 18th, 2006, 04:46
It got this for PSP and frankly it disappoints. The hype machine for this game built it up and it's not as I thought it could or would be.

Nafogel
September 18th, 2006, 05:56
kinda off topic, but does anyone here remember Lego Mindstorms? what the heck happened to those? I remember when they were real popular, i mean, having the ability to build REAL robots when you were just a kid was INCREDIBLE! I eventually sold all mine on ebay for like 500 bucks! now their probably only worth a couple hundred...

fafenstein
September 18th, 2006, 10:40
Very good game,

Real Fun, Funny, good graphics....
I love it !!!

;)

MaxSMoke
September 18th, 2006, 11:48
It's a pretty impressive game. The Light Saber combat doesn't quite work as well as the blaster packing characters, but maybe I'm not using the Jedi's right.

I've heard that it can run poorly off the UMD, but it runs very briskly off the Memory Stick. I've seen no big loading issues. You can see how limited each room is though to keep a steady framerate. You jump from small section to small section very seamlessly though, so it's no hassle.

As far as graphics and control, I'd put this up there with Daxter and GTA. As far as gameplay, well that depends on rather or not you like Starwars Lego. It's a neat little game with lots to do and see, but it's rather on the easy side.

scourge
September 18th, 2006, 13:53
have in mind that these scores are NOT awarded to the NDS version but to the high-end versions of the game.

to be precise:
gamespot rated the NDS version 7.3/10 and not 7.7/10 as the home consoles/pc versions.
and gamespy rated it 2/5 = 40/100 and not 90/100 which was the score of the xbox360 version.

Russoxley187
September 18th, 2006, 14:59
I love it,
I have it for the Xbox and PSP. Obviously it looks alot better on the Xbox because of the bigger screen size, but otherwise a pretty solid game...
I have been playing it nonstop all weekend. I let my kids play the xbox version and I can play my psp in peace

Veskgar
September 19th, 2006, 05:47
I let my kids play the xbox version and I can play my psp in peace
LOL, smart move!

muffinman
September 19th, 2006, 23:05
im enjoying it atm, but the light saber combat is very slow...