PDA

View Full Version : Legend Of Hyrule - Linken's Quest - V2.0

Zion
September 17th, 2006, 21:09
Hi! :D

Finally Linken's Quest v2.0 is here :p & I think your going to like the changes :D

here is the Changelog

New Chat/Conversation window,
Cutscenes/story is in,
Attacking Animation,
Enemies With Ai,
Ability to kill a enemy and be Killed by a enemy yourself,
Rupees,
Ability to Purchase things from the shop,
Dungeon level added,
Fully Functional Menu,
More Sound Effects,
Animals,
Townspeople with Ai
& Object Collision

Pretty big changes there :p

I hope you all enjoy the game :D

Everyone involved or who helped or gave advice on this project are mentioned/credited in the credits screen :D

All the gfx, music & sounds contained in this game is pd (public domain/made by fans)

Download from the Dream Coding compo here : http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36088

Screenshots :

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/zion_02/screenshot-7.png

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/zion_02/screenshot-8.png

Give your Feedback at the url above:)

pokothehobo
September 17th, 2006, 21:12
Awesome!!!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 17th, 2006, 21:17
Man great realease this will fill my lunch hours..Thxs

Vega
September 17th, 2006, 21:19
Is this a flash game? A lua game? neither? It looks awesome

Zion
September 17th, 2006, 21:20
Lua :p

JKKDARK
September 17th, 2006, 21:20
Zion, you are amazing. Keep the good job ;)

Vega
September 17th, 2006, 21:21
ignore that post above... man this is sweet.

J sims
at glance I thought it was a commercial game.

Vega
good work zion, this really shows what can be done with lua. awesome, congrats man.

Vega
September 17th, 2006, 21:23
now, if only someone would create a lua remake of Chaos (the old ZX Spectrum game) I would be sooo happy.... hint hint zion! lol . no really I cant get over how great this looks. Really superb stuff.

PlagueMusic
September 17th, 2006, 21:38
ROFL! Ulitmate Lua Coder!, that surely is NOT a understatement, truely a excellent release!

Mourningstar
September 17th, 2006, 21:52
Looks good...downloading now...

benh
September 17th, 2006, 21:57
Great work, I'm impressed

jimmi
September 17th, 2006, 22:04
wow this thing rocks iv always loved zelda...

woo 100th post :D

Mourningstar
September 17th, 2006, 22:08
Where/how do you get the sword????

hakibou24
September 17th, 2006, 22:11
wonderfull, great homebrew

pkmaximum
September 17th, 2006, 22:14
Great work Zion going to try it out right away ^_^

ninja9393
September 17th, 2006, 22:33
Where/how do you get the sword????
U have to find it (trust me it is there)

jman420
September 17th, 2006, 23:08
freakin sweet! good job Zion!

but! I must point out, did you ever think about that fact that the music is blatent plagerisim? if not for anything else, you could get seud for stealing copyrighted music...

(and no, I'm not an idiot, its humorous spelling)

Veskgar
September 17th, 2006, 23:42
I must point out, did you ever think about that fact that the music is blatent plagerisim? if not for anything else, you could get seud for stealing copyrighted music..
Oh come on, he's not selling this for profit or claiming ownership of any copyrights/trademarks. He'll be just fine!

Great GREAT work! This is high-quality dedicated stuff. Thanks so much for the release...

Zion
September 17th, 2006, 23:48
Jman, All the gfx, music & sounds contained in this game is pd (public domain) made by fans, so how could i be sued? lol :rolleyes:

Kvonx
September 18th, 2006, 00:39
...........HEY wheres my post, anyway Great JoB!!!!

psman
September 18th, 2006, 01:21
sweet update zion keep up the good work

Kaiser
September 18th, 2006, 01:22
Nice release Zion. :)

pibs
September 18th, 2006, 01:49
he didn't steal anything for the game, but even if he would they can't catch him. I mean comeon he created a great game, don't you think he has the time to protect himself from pesky intruders

btw great job zion:D

AtariFreek
September 18th, 2006, 03:50
Where do u get the freakin sword?

sroon
September 18th, 2006, 03:53
Zion!you big powerfull maaaan! :D
You are a Master!....THEE Master bro!
Zelda is one of the reasons I gotr into video games man!
You just keep on making my day!
I hope one day(prolly next semester because im taking cumputer sciences) I can make my own Zelda game and share it with every one!

( O ) ( O );)

ICE
September 18th, 2006, 04:41
unbelievable. finally a homebrew rpg that doesnt feel like a demo with nothing to do

Nafogel
September 18th, 2006, 04:50
sweet, I saw that he had posted it earlier but I didnt have time to download it because I was running late for work. I'll definitely give it a shot now that I'm home, I just hope I can fight back the urge to play it while my boring history teacher is giving a lecture tommorrow, lol

Cap'n 1time
September 18th, 2006, 05:16
It is obviouse that alot of work has gone into this project, keep it up!

BL4Z3D247
September 18th, 2006, 05:25
...speachless :)

tophead420
September 18th, 2006, 07:14
awesoe iv been waiting for a new release of this great job

mr_nick666
September 18th, 2006, 09:20
at glance I thought it was a commercial game.

This really does look so polished - EASILY commercial standard! :D Im so impressed with this homebrew - its quite possibly the one Im waiting for the most at the moment! (Daedulus takes a back seat!) ;) It really shows what you can do with LUA too! :eek: GREAT WORK! :D

dejkirkby
September 18th, 2006, 09:22
Zion This is great work. You sholud be damn proud.

Rocksil
September 18th, 2006, 09:44
SWEET i got a mem stick strictly for lua games and i neva really knew there was a zelda game on lua im try it now:D

ExcruciationX
September 18th, 2006, 12:47
Great work, Zion! :D By the way, how is Monkey64 coming?

mr_nick666
September 18th, 2006, 13:34
now, if only someone would create a lua remake of Chaos (the old ZX Spectrum game) I would be sooo happy.... hint hint zion! lol . no really I cant get over how great this looks. Really superb stuff.

I still play Chaos on PSpectrum! :D A PSP specific version would be cool though! *hint* *hint* ;)

Are you going to impliment a way to skip the intro? :confused: (it looks really nice but on my fourth play it started to lose its appeal! :rolleyes: )

Did you know it crashes if you go into the village then try to go back into your house?? :eek: (I went to the shop while I was there if that helps you?)

moveit124
September 18th, 2006, 14:37
umm are you supposed to be able to walk through the wall in linkens house... in the middle of the screen or what? o.o;;;

PSPKOR
September 18th, 2006, 19:05
Very nice, been waiting a while for this second release. Keep it up.

ACID
September 18th, 2006, 19:13
Nice keep it up.

Cloud_35
September 18th, 2006, 20:16
Oh yeah! :)

Only... the link sprite is very small.

(Whatever!!!)

Shilo
September 18th, 2006, 20:47
Awesome game Zion!!!!!!!!!!!! This is defiantly my favorite LUA game. I'm realy looking forward to your next release :D

Apoklepz
September 18th, 2006, 21:05
Oh yeah! :)

Only... the link sprite is very small.

(Whatever!!!)

Right...it's actually the son of Link.:rolleyes: So small is ok.

Hey Zion. I just tested this on my PC. Amazing work, Sir...It's great to see somebody actually taking full advantage of the Lua language....Glad you're keeping it alive and kicking!
How's that tooth of yours?

Zion
September 18th, 2006, 22:15
Ive re-uploaded the game for those who were experiencing dificultys :D

DrNicket
September 18th, 2006, 22:15
Great start!

I haven't found the sword yet.
I'd like to make some suggestions/bug reports if I may:
- There are some contradictions and redundant lines in the intro text. eg. 'he never came back... finally...after a long time...he did'
- The game froze/blacked out when I re-entered Linken's home after I had gathered the second four rupees and spoke to the old man. (Not every time)
- Once when I returned to Linken's home, I discovered the walk through side wall thing mentioned earlier in this thread (didn't go anywhere). When I walked across to Zelda, I heard Rupee colection sounds and saw that I had 12 rupees.
- Can you have the intro and dialogue progress with a button press rather than timed? This will help us read/play at our pace (fast or slow)
- Is the sword a pixel hunt? I figure I combed over most if not all of the game (even searched the old man's house/dungeon). Still can't find the pesky sword.

I hope I haven't given anything away. I just want to help and have fun. If you need a hand with any story/script/dialogue aspects, just ask.

Keep up the great work!

Edit: Zion... we posted at the same time... heheh. I'll try downloading the new version and see what's changed.
Has anyone else been having the "unexpected end of archive" problems? I've had it with downloading this and IrShell 2.2. I got Linken2.0 after the third try, but after a dozen I still haven't got the full file for iRShell. (I'm using Firefox, but I tried IE as well).
Please PM me if you have had this problem and if you have solved it; Let's keep this thread focused.

Vega
September 18th, 2006, 22:19
I still play Chaos on PSpectrum! :D A PSP specific version would be cool though! *hint* *hint* ;)

Are you going to impliment a way to skip the intro? :confused: (it looks really nice but on my fourth play it started to lose its appeal! :rolleyes: )

Did you know it crashes if you go into the village then try to go back into your house?? :eek: (I went to the shop while I was there if that helps you?)

Sorry to go off topic a little here.... but man, a chaos remake would be completly amazing. If I wasn't so lazy to learn new things, that would be my first PSP Coding project (hint hint hint hint hint hint ;) wink ;) wink wink hint hint)

But yeah this zelda game is the best lua game I have ever come across. Is this coding grand prix a competition? If it is, zion, your definitly the winner, not meaning to brown nose ya here or nothin, but It truly is an awesome homebrew game... any further updates or are you finished with this project?

BTW... Chaos.... hint hint wink wink hint.

Zion
September 18th, 2006, 23:04
***SPoiler Alert!!!***

okay, im going to spill the beans on where the sword is, :D

Get 8 rupees,
buy a bomb,
Go left at the fountain (into the next map),
press x next to the house door to blow it down :D
Go inside and get the sword :D

LOL, It was easy, and i thought you were gamers :p

DrNicket
September 18th, 2006, 23:15
okay, im going to spill the beans on where the sword is, :D

LOL, It was easy, and i thought you were gamers :p

I couldn't get shop buying to work. (shrug)
There was no need to spill the beans so soon. Though I do appreciate the offer. Next time put it in a spoiler please.

Zion
September 18th, 2006, 23:21
get 8 rupees then press square for the item you want to buy :p

read the readme for the controls :p

M!ckeY
September 18th, 2006, 23:33
yes, i've been waiting for another release of this game, thanks Zion :)

moveit124
September 19th, 2006, 05:16
zion... in zeldas house... or linkens house... whoevers house it is lol... the one you start in... in the middle.. you can walk through the wall O.o... if you walk >>> right above the gray part of the wall... you walk straight through it o.o

DrNicket
September 19th, 2006, 06:13
Indeed, but only so far. I could not get through to the bedroom or anything. My guess is this is either an oops bug or merely something to tease us with... perhaps?

Zion
September 19th, 2006, 13:26
lol, its a bug :p

moveit124
September 19th, 2006, 14:16
fix it! fix it!... jk lol... nice job man ^^ fun game... but umm...

when buying a bomb it says "press square to use the bomb" when it should be triangle...

when i got the bombs... i had to press x to make it work... and umm... the bomb went on top of me... so i couldnt move... could it go in front of him instead...?...

after blowing up the door... if you go inside... and come back out... like i accidentily did the first time :P... the door isnt blown up or anything... so you cant technically play the game fully...

the chicken in town does the same thing... when it comes up it stands on top of you so you cant move...

oh oh the ummm what you call it... OLD MAN does this too :P... he likes to step on your head x.x.... it hurts too O.o

the sword is also a lil glitchy... maybe you should seperate the sword animation from linken himself or something... cause its hard to hit the bad guys without getting hit yourself :P...

INVISIBLE RUPIES! lol... ya there are invisible rupies below zelda?... i think this is when you come back in the house...

anyways nice job zion... love this game ^^

Zion
September 19th, 2006, 19:49
more bugs :p They will all be fixed once i port it to C

moveit124
September 19th, 2006, 21:52
yay!... c++ O.o... imma noob programmer :P havent programmed in years o.o

Vegetable
September 19th, 2006, 21:58
Why is he called Linken and not Link?

Zion
September 19th, 2006, 22:00
For legal reasons :p

Vegetable
September 19th, 2006, 22:02
But if you were to be smacked around by the arm of the law, it would be for the use of official Nintendo art.

I don't quite understand.

Zion
September 19th, 2006, 22:08
lol, read the front post....the game contains NO nintendo owned stuff at all....

its all fan made

Vegetable
September 19th, 2006, 22:11
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/zion_02/screenshot-7.png

I beg to differ.

Zion
September 19th, 2006, 22:14
Im certian they are fan made....pspdemon got them and told me they are fan made,

He was adamant that no copyrighted stuff is used in the game...

This is PD, so there are no differs to beg.

PD = Public domain
not nintendo

Im getting sick of people accusing me of this when i have clearly stated that it isnt

Vegetable
September 19th, 2006, 22:21
I can understand if it was an honest mistake, but the pictures in the corners are clearly copyrighted material.

http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/categories/Ocarina_of_Time/Official_Art/Link/media/link01.gif http://trsrockin.com/images/sc_yzelda.jpg

Zion
September 19th, 2006, 22:53
not neccarily....

Just because they are good doesnt mean they are made by nintendo...

JD/
September 19th, 2006, 22:58
Awesome game zion this will be even better than it is now when you've learnt c++ :)

@vegetable give zion and pspdemon a little credit here i think they're smart enough to not use copyrighted material.

lockrock
September 20th, 2006, 01:24
error aleat you can't attack while stand still

Zion
September 20th, 2006, 01:28
your not supposed to be able to :p

Vegetable
September 20th, 2006, 08:04
not neccarily....

Just because they are good doesnt mean they are made by nintendo...

Oh, of course. I guess Nintendo must have printed off fan art in the manual of the game that I have sitting right here, rather than drawing something new.

http://zs.ffshrine.org/album/ocarina-of-time/inst-us/34-35.jpg http://zs.ffshrine.org/album/ocarina-of-time/inst-us/08-9.jpg

I mean, there's always so much great fan art for a game that hasn't been released yet, right?

mr_nick666
September 20th, 2006, 08:42
Oh, of course. I guess Nintendo must have printed off fan art in the manual of the game that I have sitting right here, rather than drawing something new.

I mean, there's always so much great fan art for a game that hasn't been released yet, right?

Why try and spoil it? :confused: Ignorance is bliss... and safe :) If these images were on a PD site then we have plausable deniability - you've minged that up :( Thanks... :mad:

Vegetable
September 20th, 2006, 12:41
I say he should keep the copyrighted crap in the game, Nintendo isn't going to care enough to sue him.

one winged angel
September 20th, 2006, 12:48
hi does someone know which song is snd0.at3 is in the eboot can i download the full version somewhere?

moveit124
September 20th, 2006, 15:12
zion stop wasting time with them if you know that all the pictures are fan made... just go on making the game... your wasting precious time with these noobs :P... gogogogo linkens quest 3.0! :P

Cap'n 1time
September 20th, 2006, 15:49
It is actually true that the character art comes from the OoT players guide, not that i give a rats ass, the game is still amazing! And any moron can see that you used PD sprites, just some people like to leap before they look.

F9zDark
September 20th, 2006, 19:06
I say he should keep the copyrighted crap in the game, Nintendo isn't going to care enough to sue him.

If you believe that 'he should keep the copyrighted crap in the game' then why did you waste your time trying to prove your point?

Zion, great game; ignore the losers who have nothing better to do but complain and keep up the great work.

Vegetable
September 20th, 2006, 19:47
If you believe that 'he should keep the copyrighted crap in the game' then why did you waste your time trying to prove your point?

Why are you assuming my intent was for him to remove the material from the game? I've found that quite often people are merely misinformed and/or lying, so I pointed him back on the right track.

And honestly, if Nintendo were to sue his ass, they would have regardless if the art is fan-made or not. There are laws stating that you cannot sell fanart without the original copyrighted character owner's permission.

moveit124
September 20th, 2006, 19:58
keyword "sell"... who is selling stuff here?

Zion
September 20th, 2006, 20:07
please can we get back on topic........

yaustar
September 20th, 2006, 20:16
The most likely cause of suing by Nintendo would be over IP rather then copyright.

Judging from the number of other zelda related projects such as Zelda Classic, this should be okay as long as the IP isn't butchered.

Vegetable
September 20th, 2006, 21:14
keyword "sell"... who is selling stuff here?

Even distributing it without selling it is against the law.

Remember that Chrono Trigger remake a bunch of dudes were "making"? Squenix shut them down because they had the power to do so. If it weren't against the law, it would have stayed in development (if development had begun at all, in that case).

Zion
September 20th, 2006, 21:53
please get back on topic...

this is getting very annoying now..

Im getting the stage now where i would like nintendo to shut me down, that way i wouldnt have to hear people moaning about copyright issues even though it was a honest mistake....

Its people like you (vegatable) that take the fun out of coding....:(

+ i didnt here you complaining about "The stoke of link". That game used all nintendo sprites and gfx...
where were you then? :confused:

moveit124
September 21st, 2006, 01:36
hey zion check your pm's

Zion
September 21st, 2006, 01:46
i saw it :p il get back to you on that....really busy at the moment :D

moveit124
September 21st, 2006, 03:49
alright np...

Lodis
September 21st, 2006, 04:19
This is really excellent, it has a commercial quality to it and really shows the potential of Lua coding. I was looking forward to an update of the last release so it is good to see this progress.

TheTruth345
September 21st, 2006, 23:15
this game is awesome!!! THANKS, good luck learning C++ :D

Vegetable
September 22nd, 2006, 12:41
+ i didnt here you complaining about "The stoke of link". That game used all nintendo sprites and gfx...
where were you then? :confused:

Never heard about it. I did bitch about the distribution of RPG Maker 2000 materials with that game making thing for the DS, though.

Zion
September 22nd, 2006, 18:18
Lets let it go now man, and get back to discussing what the thread was made for : Discussion of the game

mr_nick666
September 22nd, 2006, 18:23
Lets let it go now man, and get back to discussing what the thread was made for : Discussion of the game

/\ /\ Amen :) Itching for your next release! :D (either that or the lice have returned :( ) I have no idea about coding - is it going to be a massive job converting your code to C? :confused:

Zion
September 22nd, 2006, 18:27
Well, its going to have to be done from scratch...

dejkirkby
September 22nd, 2006, 18:34
Scratch being the operative word if Mr. Nick666's lice have returned. But seriously, I like this game a helluva lot and can't wait for each new release.

DrNicket
September 25th, 2006, 08:45
More power to you Zion.

aniso82
July 13th, 2007, 09:02
thank youuuuuu :thumbup:

Safari Al
July 13th, 2007, 13:41
Please don't bump very old threads.