PDA

View Full Version : Can i use 3DS Max to make a PSP game?

PsychoSync
September 17th, 2006, 21:34
Well that is my question, I am currently learning to use 3DS Max (i really love it!) and want to know if it would be possible to make a 3D game out of this.

Can i do something in 3DS Max that could be used by a 3D engine like LTE or any engine for PSP?

csd-san
September 17th, 2006, 21:40
It'd be possible, but I'm not sure if LTE specifically supports it.

yaustar
September 17th, 2006, 21:55
Not directly no. You still need to programmer a game to use the 3Ds models.

PsychoSync
September 17th, 2006, 22:37
Ok but its possible to export 3D content from 3DS to something that can eventally be used for a PSP game?

yaustar
September 18th, 2006, 20:03
Yes.

jman420
September 19th, 2006, 09:00
yes! :D all models I have used for the many PSP games I have taken part in, were made using Discreet 3DS Max 7.. While it is not possible to directly use a model in an open source model viewer, you can generaly find a person that will program a game with you :D

PsychoSync
September 19th, 2006, 15:02
Well thanks thats what i wanted to know. Now i'm gonna continue increasing my 3DS skills!

@Jman420: I just looked a rendering of your work on the Survival Horror project and it look really good. Was this running on PSP or only a picture? And it was made with 3DS?

jman420
September 19th, 2006, 15:52
it wasnt a screenshot no, but we are using the same technique as RE1, 2, & 3, aswell as FF7, 8 & 9.. which is to have a a pre-rendered background with a sprite in front of it..

The reason is, on 3DS I have ability to render with anti-aliasing, as well as raycasting, and higher quality graphics then the PSP could render alone :D

PsychoSync
September 19th, 2006, 20:36
If you have the time, could you tell me how long you've been using 3DS and how did you learn, how much time it takes you to make a room like in one of your games and stuff like that.

jman420
September 20th, 2006, 00:42
sure, I have the time now :p (had college all day lol) yes, well, I worked in GMAX for a few months priior to getting 3DS, and I got somewhat used to the methods to make models.. (using different shapes to finaly come up with a mesh that worked)

after that, I started work on the PSP game Caelestis, which I never realy got any better at. (mostly, I was just trying to make a level "good enough")
so I quit working on that for a while..

and started work on my E's Lua game, which I had a bit of fun modeling, but finaly got bored while making the second level..

And that brings me to Generic Survival Horror Clone #1, which Was the first project I started working on in a serious sence.. it took me about 3 days to make the original renderings I made, and from there I only went uphill.. I got another 3D artist to join, and went on to make even more levels..

but the one level I am most proud of (and the only one I've submitted to the forum) is the Library level, which took me about 3 weeks of modeling at least 5 hours a day..

with practice, I have gotten much better, but I still need more to get the speed factor up..

I hope that helped some :D

its also like a free biography if you need it :p