PDA

View Full Version : ComboCracker

wraggster
September 19th, 2006, 00:08
BassAceGold has posted a new entry into the Dream Coding Grand Prix Coding Competition (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/dcgp2006.shtml), heres the release details:

Heres an app i made that can crack the three digit combination locks that we use in my school. By entering the last digit of the
combination it can mathimaticly calculate the rest of the combination and narrow it down to 100 combinations to try on the lock. The instructions in the zip contains the info on how to get the last digit.
Not every combination has to be entered correctly for the lock to open therefor not every combination is listed. This has only been tested on a Master Lock Combination Lock and works.

Download at the release thread --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36158

kcajblue
September 19th, 2006, 00:11
i tested it with my lock. and when i put in the last digit. the right combination didnt show up.

BassAceGold
September 19th, 2006, 03:42
Not every combination has to be entered correctly for the lock to open therefor not every combination is listed.
:p

cloud_952
September 19th, 2006, 06:11
...umm.. yeah. Okay. O_o Why do I need a program to tell me what numbers are possible on the lock? There's nothing mystical here, actually.

I have a 3 combo. lock. Each number can be 0-9, 10 numbers each. That means that the number of possible combinations is 10^3, or 1000. By knowing one number (why does the programmer assume we know one number?), this means it because only two things to find out, or 10^2, 100. Simple math can do this for you. o_O Then, don't be an idiot and you can try all of them yourself without having a program tell you. Do it in order.

Not to belittle the author, sorry if it sounds that way, but.. I'm curious what this is other than a program that takes 10^2, lists all the numbers, and adds the number we provide to the end. ^^;

SwordOfZork
September 19th, 2006, 08:18
Cloud nailed it. Theres nothing special about this program that using 2 seconds of thought can't provide you with.

Eliminating one digit of a three digit combo leaves you with a two digit combo. Of course the combination will end up being somewhere between 00 and 99 when disregarding the third number. Of COURSE theres 100 possibilities. Just as how knowing two numbers would result in a single digit code, and only ten different possibilities.

This is basic math. No, this is basic common sense.

dejkirkby
September 19th, 2006, 08:41
I said exactly the same thing in the other thread about this program.

quzar
September 19th, 2006, 10:27
Um... no, it's not only 1000 combos. He mistakenly called it a '3 digit' lock as opposed to a '3 number' lock. It's one of those locks that you turn it and stop at 3 numbers from 0-39 going from right to left, passing over the numbers first two times, then one time, then stopping on it.

The number of combinations is 40^3. If this were to actually narrow it down to 100 combinations, that would be really close.

dejkirkby
September 19th, 2006, 10:56
Then I apologise for saying it's useless.

BassAceGold
September 19th, 2006, 14:48
Sorry for the confusion, the lock that this cracker is used for is the type quzar described. Those "3 numbered" combination locks have 64 000 different combinations and my program narrows it down to 100.
Just to be sure here is a pick of the type of lock that this was ment for http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/padlock.jpg

dejkirkby
September 19th, 2006, 15:06
That's a big difference then. Props to you!!

cloud_952
September 19th, 2006, 16:28
Can I ask again why the program assumes (and only works if) we know the third number? I guess you could say that people might leave the lock on the final digit, but that's alot of hoping and praying.

BassAceGold
September 19th, 2006, 23:22
There are instructions in the zip that have a method of finding the last digit of the combination.
all the info for combination lock cracking can be found here http://www.fusor.us/lockpick.html