PDA

View Full Version : Browser not displaying .GIF animations

Apoklepz
September 19th, 2006, 02:08
I just got me a new laptop, with windows XP on it....I have a problem with my internet explorer not displaying .GIF images properly. They do show up, they just won't animate. I've also noticed that if I try to save any .GIF format from any web page, it only lets me save them as un-animated bitmap files.

I've looked in the browser's options, but can't find anything that will display the animations properly.

please help

GobboFett
September 19th, 2006, 10:02
If your using Internet Explorer then switch over to Mozilla Firefox. Sooooooooooooo much better and not as problem ridden as IE (plus it has a built-in pop-up blocker :)).

dejkirkby
September 19th, 2006, 10:06
I switched to Firefox earlier this week. It is way better than IE. Fact.

Apoklepz
September 19th, 2006, 18:24
I know that, and I thanks you guys...I have Firefox on my PC already. Can you help me with my Explorer problem?

souLLy
September 19th, 2006, 21:13
are you using the aol browser by any chance?

Apoklepz
September 19th, 2006, 21:58
No, no...souLLy...This problem is with Internet Explorer by itself....I'm getting still or no images where animated .GIF formats (sprites/avatars/etc)should appear.

Tomlo
September 19th, 2006, 23:14
IE has a popup blocker too, whats so special?

Your IE problem is probally due to incorrect IE settings. At the top bar where the file, edit, view, favorites buttons are click "tools" then select "Internet Options". From there click advanced and scroll down to the multimedia and make sure "Play animations in web pages" is selected, look over it to see if any other options could be stoping animations and apply any changes.

Apoklepz
September 20th, 2006, 05:18
thanks Tomlo...the weird thing is that it's been ON all along, so it's something else...I'll post the full list tommorrow...I'm really tired right now.

pibs
September 20th, 2006, 08:12
i perfer firefox, not only because of the custom themes but because of the tab feature, it helps alot in keeping your research sites all in one screen and not all over your desktop. plus the ctrl+f feature is waay better than the ie one, firefox also supports many plugins like the video downloader(very useful for psp videos) and firefox updates by itself when it needs to =D

acn010
September 20th, 2006, 08:27
firefox is good..........

Darksaviour69
September 20th, 2006, 09:09
+ the popup blocker in ie sucks, while firefox gets it right about 95% of the time ( what popups to stop and which ones should not)

Tomlo
September 20th, 2006, 21:18
They both have their strengths and weaknesses, for example IE is more accepted world wide and many programs depend on it (ex. Counter-Strike) to run where firefox is less abused by malicious software.

IE has themes too and personally I really see no advantage to opening a page in a new tab as compared to opening a page in a new window.

Apoklepz
September 20th, 2006, 22:14
They both have their strengths and weaknesses

Exactly, that's why I like to have Firefox on my PC and IE on my Laptop.