PDA

View Full Version : Iwata: 'We want women to go for Wii'

wraggster
September 19th, 2006, 16:18
"We want to appeal to mothers," says Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata

Nintendo's Wii is aiming to win over many first-time console buyers, including elderly women and mothers, says Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata.

Speaking to Bloomberg, the Wii boss says that targeting the female non-gamer could help Wii break all of the console boundaries: "We want to appeal to mothers who don't want consoles in their living rooms, and to the elderly and to young women," he says. "It's a challenge, like trying to sell cosmetics to men."

In the article, president of Enterbrain and Famitsu editor-in-chief, Hirokazu Hamamura also predicts a rosy future for Nintendo's console, saying that it could become "the most popular console of all time." "Non-gamers can see how fun [Wii] is just by looking at people playing it," he says, "and that's very different from the PS3 or Xbox 360."

Nintendo's lady-targeting Wii strategy could be on the back of its runaway success with DS games like Nintendogs and Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training, which have both discovered large female audiences. Nintendo hopes that the Wii's unique features will make it even more successful than the handheld: "If we can do this," Iwata says, "the Wii could break all the boundaries in terms of user rates for game consoles."

Nintendo Wii is out in Europe on December 8.

dejkirkby
September 19th, 2006, 16:27
Cool. I'll buy my mother one! She'll really appreciate it.

bsg
September 19th, 2006, 17:02
Let us send emails to Lucas Arts about how much we would like adventure games (grim fandango/monkey island/etc.) on the Wii.

Here you can contact Lucas Arts:

http://yodashelpdesk.lucasarts.com/email.asp?sid=102939060919080057104025&pid=1368&pnm=Grim%20Fandango©&seid=3568&pos=Windows%2098

gotmilk0112
September 19th, 2006, 22:37
yes my mom is exited about playing Wii Sports: Golf and Bowling. LoL!

Dickhead
September 20th, 2006, 20:46
I am looking to buy wii for my wife and to keep it in the bedroom. She has a psp(as well as me) and a DS. Would be great if we can connect these all up to the wii. Infact I am looking to buy a wii over the ps3 as the ps3 is very expensive and i aslo have an 360

CampaKaze
September 20th, 2006, 21:06
Well if you think about it, games are getting more and more popular with girls because everyone is growing up with games, so once teen generation from present is grown up pretty much everyone will like games, therefore making it a huge market for guys and girls because almost every girl i know likes playin vid games, and as many guys who dont like em as much as girls