PDA

View Full Version : Kinect will 'take time' to win over core critics

wraggster
September 26th, 2011, 21:15
Kinect causes something of a divide between hardcore gamers, with those who want to give it a chance fighting against those who write it off as a family friendly gimmick.

Forza 4 integrates Kinect right across the board, from using it as a proximity sensor in the car-perving Autovista mode or an invisible steering wheel in the main game, should you choose.

It's still very much a secondary control system (perhaps even laying claim only to third or fourth choice considering actual steering wheels). But when we asked Forza 4 creative director Dan Greenawalt whether Kinect will play a more central role in Forza in the future he seemed optimistic.

"You can learn from the old way but you can't just fill it in there," Greenawalt pointed out.

"I remember a time ten years ago when everyone was saying 'A first person shooter can never be done on console because of the controller. It'll never work." Everyone was certain of that and then we had Halo.

"We even had GoldenEye before that and people ignored that even though it proved it, and Halo proved it in a bigger way. Now we all expect the best first-person shooters are played, it seems, on console.

"Kinect is the same thing - it takes time," he continued. "You should be charging us as the innovation engine of the industry; the big franchises, the big teams, the creative powerhouses. Players should be charging us to surprise them."

"I think most people think, 'Well I haven't thought of anything and so therefore there's nothing that can be done.' That's just silly, our job is to come up with new ideas and surprise people.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/320178/kinect-will-take-time-to-win-over-core-critics-says-forza-dev/