PDA

View Full Version : What fan to use?

MrTeressaBond
September 20th, 2006, 19:05
What fan do i use instead of thestock fans with the processors?

many has suggested that the Zalman CNPS9500 is an excellent choice, and correct me if i am wrong, may i ask, when you overclock a CPU, of ocurse it gets very hot, and using a fan wil cool it down.

if a CPU being overclocked and turns to be very hot, do u use a very fast fan to cool it down to keep it stable or something? thus the cooler the CPU, the higher u can overclock?

also, because i like Zalmans, is there a better fan than the CNPS9500 itself?

i would really appreciate it. thanks.

Joe88
September 20th, 2006, 21:07
you should take a look at some of thermal take heatsinks and fans
you can also go fanless and still get a good job with the sythe heatsink

eh what case do you have right now ?
full-tower or mid-tower ?

Tomlo
September 20th, 2006, 21:23
Cooler doent mean that you WILL get a better overclock but it does help lenghthen the life of the processor and you have better peace of mind. Basically the motherboard is the biggest factor when overclocking. Zalman and Thermaltake make nice cooling solutions. I personally like zalmans since they are nice chunks of copper with nothing fancy and are rock solid dependable.

Joe88
September 20th, 2006, 22:16
Yes ASUS boards for the most part can give you full control of all the OC to RAM to the CPU

also it depends on what processor you have

Tomlo
September 20th, 2006, 22:44
DFI is undoubtibly the best ocing board there is, ASUS is in a close second and is my brand of choice. Better cooling probally wont get you any major difference in your overclock but it will allow you to keep your OC on for an extended amount of time and lenthens the life of your cpu.

Joe88
September 21st, 2006, 06:23
Ive had a bad experience with DFI :/
after I transfered to ASUS
never had a problem again

MrTeressaBond
September 21st, 2006, 10:20
ohh cool. sweet. i kinda now understand now. thanks for that.

may i ask again just to remind myself, is there a better fan than the CNPS9500 itself?

Tomlo
September 22nd, 2006, 00:57
Ive had a bad experience with DFI :/
after I transfered to ASUS
never had a problem again

Ya DFI is a very very picky brand, If you dont use top quality parts in them they just wont work and there's litterally hundreds of bios options to go though to get things to run right, But If you can get them going their a beast.

As for a better fan, I would need to know what socket your buying the fan for. Im sure theirs about a million other options out there so It would help to have your budget too, Maybe you can get you some Phase change cooling :D lol

MrTeressaBond
September 22nd, 2006, 10:14
well obviously for a Pentium D or Core 2.

Joe88
September 23rd, 2006, 05:06
it could be any core that uses a LGA 775 molex adapter

take a look at this one from theremaltake lolz

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/Retail/CL-P0086/+CL-P0086_image/enlargedView.jpg

Tomlo
September 23rd, 2006, 09:31
See thats the kind of thing that just turns me off, theres just too much plastic for me. Its a great brand and I love those heatpipes but I like to see a nice solid chunk of pure copper. Plastic insulates heat rather than conducting it like copper.

Joe88
September 24th, 2006, 03:51
no this is what I call a heatsink XD

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/Retail/cl-p0071/+CL-P0071_image/onMBenlarged.jpg

ACID
September 24th, 2006, 03:58
AUSU will do

Tomlo
September 24th, 2006, 06:54
As "The Bruce Dickenson" would say:

"I gotta a fever and the only perscription is more copper"