PDA

View Full Version : Does Wii boxart capture Nintendo's new vision for gaming?

wraggster
September 20th, 2006, 20:36
Gamestop, EB Games, and Amazon have all updated their websites with what appears to be official Wii box art (i.e. no "for display purposes only"). If legit, the asymmetric white bar looks top-heavy like it wants to roll right. That's a long-winded way of saying it looks ugly, subjectively speaking.

I can only imagine, however, that some fancy shmancy branding agency helped Nintendo design the new box art and starting asking all these "Who am I?" questions for the Wii to answer. The ad group then determined that Wii provides a different take on gaming and decided an asymmetric box design should be used as well.

So does Wii box art succeed in reflecting Nintendo's new take on console gaming? Do you dig the look?

Screens Via Comments

fg-54
September 20th, 2006, 20:49
they look ok.

JKKDARK
September 20th, 2006, 20:50
it looks better than the ps3 boxarts.

fg-54
September 20th, 2006, 20:54
i haven't seen the ps3 boxart yet, what is it like?

lexluthor
September 20th, 2006, 20:56
I like it. Its simple and effective. Nintendo dont want to play the Wii up as being a "Video Game Console" as such.. they think it scares people.

This is reflected in the box art by not having the words Nintendo printed in big letters.

EDIT:
Whats with the WiFi logo on Downhill Jam? Ohhh could be... :D

ExcruciationX
September 20th, 2006, 21:28
Look's fine to me! :)

philr359
September 20th, 2006, 21:36
its plain but effective and looks nice!
definately much better than ps3

gotmilk0112
September 20th, 2006, 21:45
better than p$3

pubjoe
September 20th, 2006, 22:26
The wii logo is okay, non-distracting, nothing too surprising. That tony hawkes box-art is hidious though, it looks like he's doing some sort of demented egyption dance move.

Is there a cack-handed & one-eyed american game art painter, who has done all the painted artwork for every big game that requires a demented sense of perspective?.. Remember the US streetfighter 2 cover art?

bsg
September 20th, 2006, 22:31
It looks nice but plain.

I am wondering if the words nintendo are on the console itself and on the start-up screen, because it seems there won't be any Nintendo brand on all of the Wii.

souLLy
September 20th, 2006, 22:54
i like the style personally

The Hombrew Hunter
September 21st, 2006, 01:42
Ai Ai's holding a Wiimote.

Neat.

Adrenalin
September 21st, 2006, 02:29
i saw another pic of zelda boxart which was gold, so i dunno which one is right, but i liked the golden one (very zelda-ish style like my 64 ocarina pak)
monkey ball looks very awesomely done
tonyhawks looks crap, but the wifi logo (as someone pointed out) could spell out an awesome feature if true.

as for the actual "wii" part on ther top, i don't don't hate it or love it, it seems alright.

It looks nice but plain.

I am wondering if the words nintendo are on the console itself and on the start-up screen, because it seems there won't be any Nintendo brand on all of the Wii.

naturally there will be, just in some cases more or less visible than others.

Video_freak
September 21st, 2006, 02:58
Looks a little too cartoony for my taste. :P

sko, TheLogicalGamer
September 25th, 2006, 02:16
The wii logo is okay, non-distracting, nothing too surprising.

When has anyone ever said, "Man, this is most exciting boxart ever!" Nobody. Nobody cares about boxart.

THH~Fixed it for ya.

masterpaul
September 25th, 2006, 16:03
The boxart is awsome.

The Zelda one is amazing. Imagine if the print it out on shiny paper like MP:H boxart.

CrackA
September 25th, 2006, 20:26
very nice indeed

dejkirkby
September 25th, 2006, 20:32
I don't mind the boxart, but saying that no boxart has ever repulsed me!