PDA

View Full Version : Map This! v0.3

deniska
September 20th, 2006, 22:04
Download: http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/mapViewer_v03.zip (http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/mapViewer_v03.zip)

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/mapthis_v03.jpg

NEW IN v0.3
-----------
- Multiple POI icons support - a few types of POI can now be merged in one file for simultaneous display.
- POI files: removed icon size definition (the size is read from the image itself, this should be backwards compatible with prev definition though..).
- speed up in menu responses
- some new parameters in config file:
###########################################
# THIS VARIABLE IS INTRODUCED TO SMOOTH #
# THE MAP MOVEMENT BETWEEN GPS UPDATES #
# IE THE MAP WILL CONTINUE MOVEMENT IN #
# THE SAME DIRECTION WITH A SLIGHT #
# DECREASE OF SPEED FOR EACH NEXT #
# FRAME RENDERING #
SPEEDFACTOR=0.97
##########################################
## LOAD WIFI MODULE ##
LOADWIFI=0
- NMEA buffer increased to 1024 - this may help some GPS devices
- map size bug fixed. Now it should support maps up to 1024x1024
- Basic trip computer in gps mode. Display of elapsed time, distance and average speed.
- Set mark. In gps mode, displays distance & direction to mark.
- Scrollable menus in map/poi selectors: ability to display/scroll through up to 100 items.
- Numerous improvements in gmdl tool by in7ane: new map/poi sources added, POI converter, custom map import,
routing tool, etc.
- Ability to disable top info bar and scale for maps with custom scales and projections: just remove coords.txt

Additional documentation & information:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This%21

most current beta build eboot can be found here:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=291940#post291940

wraggster
September 21st, 2006, 00:53
awesome news, posted at PSP News :)

seesoe
September 21st, 2006, 04:25
this is nice:) again great work deniska, i will be exploreing the codes and new version tomorrow when i have time to really look at it, but tonight i will get my new maps and POI, ima download everything all over again start my gps things from new with the v0.3

keep it comeing:D

icsocket
September 21st, 2006, 05:03
I joined to this forum so that I can say big "THANK YOU " to you. I just build my own cable and Map This! works like a charm with GPSlim 240.

Also many thanks to in7ane and others helping other people. Hope I can help someone, too.

Look forward to see your next version.

Hi, everyone. :o

deniska
September 21st, 2006, 05:31
welcome in, icsocket!

I did not know Holux came in with gpslim 240 model.
Wow, it's half the size/weight of gpslim 236 with same specs..
Nice find!!!
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/gr240/gpslim240_s.png

Totaliser
September 21st, 2006, 06:49
Hi Deniska. I was thinking of adding a speed variable for reading back from the GPS file. Everytime you increase this variable, it would read that amount of extra sentences per read. I could view some long cycle rides in a shorter time. Now all I have to do is figure it out!

BTW A big thanks to you for making MapThis! and in7ane for the map downloader.

wiki84
September 21st, 2006, 10:29
Great job Deniska!

Russoxley187
September 21st, 2006, 13:46
Once again... you rock....

deanspeed
September 21st, 2006, 17:53
Im getting errors when trying to exstract it.

deniska
September 21st, 2006, 18:27
hmmm, just tried to d/l & extract the file - works for me... try to re-download & use winzip...

kididio
September 22nd, 2006, 07:26
Hi, a nice release again, GREAT.

But, there is an error by parsing the poi files, when i´am using your/my png´s. The first !Image argument is ignored by mapthis an only the normal red/blue poi-pic is shown.all other !image tags under the first, it works, my poi list file looks like:

!Image=dummy.png <= ignored by software
00.000000,00.000000,-
!Image=gas.png <= the 2nd,3rd,[...] poi pic works
56.003404,14.34512, Aral Station Nuernberger,
I´am the only one with this problem, or there any others out there?

fokia
September 22nd, 2006, 09:46
Nice... :D

But haven't tried it yet... my psp charger has move to the new house and I haven't, yet...

Can't wait...

deniska
September 22nd, 2006, 16:08
Hi, a nice release again, GREAT.

But, there is an error by parsing the poi files, when i´am using your/my png´s. The first !Image argument is ignored by mapthis an only the normal red/blue poi-pic is shown.all other !image tags under the first, it works, my poi list file looks like:

!Image=dummy.png <= ignored by software
00.000000,00.000000,-
!Image=gas.png <= the 2nd,3rd,[...] poi pic works
56.003404,14.34512, Aral Station Nuernberger,
I´am the only one with this problem, or there any others out there?
00.000000,00.000000,- is not a valid POI so it will not be displayed there seem to be no other POIs to be displayed with dummy.png image...

So I don't see a problem with software here - just incorrect POI file...

strikerranger
September 22nd, 2006, 20:05
apsolutly great work ! i thought you got some other work to do and that you took a little break before you made a new update 0.3 anyway, i like this version, it's smoother and you deleted the wifi map upload.

What is your final project ? i mean, are there comming some new aplications in the future ? or just little updates.. let em know.. mapthis rocks:)

demologik
September 23rd, 2006, 11:49
...i like this version, it's smoother and you deleted the wifi map upload.

why did you delete the WIFI map uplaod?

also.. when i load a map for SEATTLE in Map This! v0.3 Mapviewer, my memstick light starts blinking and then i can't do anything.. is there no support for large areas?

if not, how can this be overcome?

its been loading for over 20 mins now.. so i think it should have been done by now..

question.. what is the LARGEST area map supported.. i am trying to disply a 6.4 MB file and the MapThis! program is stuck in a loop or something.. but it will work just fine in a smaller area..

:confused:

deniska
September 23rd, 2006, 14:42
WIFI module is controled from a config file - it's still there...
You should be able to load 1024x1024 tile maps (>1Gb)
Your map is probably missing some tiles in the base zoom (1x folder), has a corrupted image, or you zipped a very large map (>30 MB)
Loading (not map transfer to MS) of any unzipped map should not take more than 2 seconds...

rainiac
September 24th, 2006, 13:03
You've done a great job. A very usefull software.

wish list:
-make the cursor move faster probably by pressing R-TRIGGER + ANALOG PAD
-still able to view the map even if there are missing tiles on 1x (so we delete all irrelevant tiles like the blue sea)
-when on gps mode - it should be able to jump to a different map when it's available.

GPSFan
September 24th, 2006, 13:50
looking forward to trying it. Thanks again!

darkfabius
September 24th, 2006, 20:20
hello, great job :D

I have a question :
which of maps source is a lighty in the MS ?

kididio
September 25th, 2006, 07:16
Deniska, i know that.

But, the first POI Image is not loading correct, only 2nd, 3rd etc., thats why i´ve made this dummy "poi" u see above, i know that an ZERO coordinate is not valid ;).
When i delete the lines, !Image=dummy.png,
00.000000,00.000000,- ,, the second poi group comes up to the 1st and does´nt work, i can upload my mapfile with poi´s bei rapidshare, ~50 meg, when you interrestet to see it, and when i´am @home from work.

deniska
September 26th, 2006, 06:00
Could this be a problem with a specific icon image or perhaps large file size?

Please try to recreate the problem with a different set of icon images and smaller POI file (perhaps just few entries per icon)...

If you create a smaller map (~8mb with a POI file) that replicated the problem and post it here as zip - I'd be happy to take a look at it...

deniska
September 26th, 2006, 06:05
hello, great job :D

I have a question :
which of maps source is a lighty in the MS ?

My guess would be google reqular maps...
You could alway try to run some image batch processing of maps tiles in photoshop or any other editor to reduce the quality, number of colors etc...
This could win you additional space on MS...

kididio
September 26th, 2006, 08:34
I´ve tried to do the icons as smal as yours, and i think i have do this right, every icon have a size of ~400 byte and 40*20 px.

I can make a smaller map with reproducing the problem, i hope that my isp fix my dsl problem, cant go online longer than 3 min. every 2 hours at home :( , at the moment i only can go online @work, but there i can´t run the windows downloader, but i do it, watch out for the link next day´s.
and thank you for your great support!!!

GPSFan
September 28th, 2006, 03:52
I am excited to try it looks liek a great release. However I broke the cable and i need to resoulder it. Once it's done I am excited to try it as I am going on a long distance road trip in 3 days I hope to use the GPS. I also like the new map loader update reminder. But seems to happen very often almost everytime I load it a message pops up saying there's a newer version. What is the difference the most recent is 0.15

deniska
September 28th, 2006, 16:05
I am excited to try it looks liek a great release. However I broke the cable and i need to resoulder it. Once it's done I am excited to try it as I am going on a long distance road trip in 3 days I hope to use the GPS. I also like the new map loader update reminder. But seems to happen very often almost everytime I load it a message pops up saying there's a newer version. What is the difference the most recent is 0.15

Following thread keeps track of changes/upgrades to gmdl tool:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068 - just read through it - you'll see what was changed...

Good luck with your trip...

BTW, I've been using my cable for ~2 months already w/o any problems... I did all soldering under the PSP connector cap and sealed it with crazy glue - which seams to be very solid & robust solution...

kpaul_nyc
October 1st, 2006, 01:45
I see the subway map there, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get that on my psp? I mean view the map, without gps.

CrunchyMush
October 2nd, 2006, 10:45
I see the subway map there, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get that on my psp? I mean view the map, without gps.
Just install v0.3 of MapThis! and it comes with the subway map and a world map as samples.

CrunchyMush
October 2nd, 2006, 10:52
BTW, I've been using my cable for ~2 months already w/o any problems... I did all soldering under the PSP connector cap and sealed it with crazy glue - which seams to be very solid & robust solution...
Good stuff. The PSP remote i got unfortunately was a bit of a cheap nasty one and had flimsy tinned conductors which made it a bit messy trying to do it all in the cap, plus I wanted the headphone plug to work too so I could just switch to games without having to unplug things.

I ended up getting a small rectangular project box (I think it was for a doorbell button or something) from Maplin Electronics and a bit of veroboard. Being the scavenger I am I just desoldered the headphone plug from the remote and mounted it on the vero, hooked up the necessary conductors and it's all sweet.

I only mention it because it's probably an easier option for the folks who aren't great at fiddly soldering or are worried about yanking the conductors out of the plug that still gives a fairly tidy result (albeit not quite as tidy as putting it all in the plug housing).

GPSFan
October 3rd, 2006, 07:36
I resouldered everything together tested the cable everything was working fine. But when I popped in the software version 3 it didn't work. I used the original testing software and it worked fine signal was coming through. Config.txt is set properly. But no GPS signal. no UMD in device and wifi is shut off. Is there something else I'm missing? Thanks for any help.

deniska
October 3rd, 2006, 15:52
I resouldered everything together tested the cable everything was working fine. But when I popped in the software version 3 it didn't work. I used the original testing software and it worked fine signal was coming through. Config.txt is set properly. But no GPS signal. no UMD in device and wifi is shut off. Is there something else I'm missing? Thanks for any help.

Does it still work with green screen program?
what gps do you use (GPSslim 236??)?
Post a screenshot of MapThis in GPS mode - it may help to troubleshoot it..

icsocket
October 4th, 2006, 03:38
I noticed when I enable hold switch, Map This! stop accepting GPS coordinate anymore. Is there any way of walk around this? There are too many buttons and it is easy to miss click some of those. (My wife is afraid of buttons… :) )

GPSFan
October 4th, 2006, 03:43
Yes it does work with the original testing program I think that's the "green screen" program. As for the GPS it is the exact set up you use the (GPSslim236). It worked before but if I use the new version 3 doesn't seem to work. Is it due to a setting on Config.txt? I will have the screen shot for you once I am able to use my PSP.

Does it still work with green screen program?
what gps do you use (GPSslim 236??)?
Post a screenshot of MapThis in GPS mode - it may help to troubleshoot it..

deniska
October 4th, 2006, 14:26
Yes it does work with the original testing program I think that's the "green screen" program. As for the GPS it is the exact set up you use the (GPSslim236). It worked before but if I use the new version 3 doesn't seem to work. Is it due to a setting on Config.txt? I will have the screen shot for you once I am able to use my PSP.

Post screenshot and config file...

GPSFan
October 4th, 2006, 19:30
############## DEFINE BAUD ################
BAUD=38400

## TRY >1 VALUES FOR SLOW BAUD DEVICES ###
READTIME=1

######FAKE FEED SWITCH 0 or 1 #############
##IF '1' READ NMEA MESSAGES FROM gps.txt
FAKEFEED=0

###### SECURITY CHECKSUM FOR BETA TESTERS
CHECKSUM=-8398

####### SPEED CONVERTION MULTIPLIER #######
## MOST DEVISED GIVE SPEED IN KNOTS #######
### USE 1.8523 FOR KILOMETERS #############
SPEEDFIX=1.8523

###### HEIGHT UNITS FIX: USE 1 for METERS #
###### USE 3.280839895 FOR FEET ###########
ALTFIX=1

##### TIME ZONE OFFSET IN HOURS ###########
TIMEZONE=-4

## ALERT MESSAGE WARNING DISTANCE ########
WARNINGDISTANCE=35

# FRAME RENDERING #
SPEEDFACTOR=0.99

## LOAD WIFI MODULE ##
LOADWIFI=0

and I've tested the cable it's working fine, did I also need to replace the EBOOT.PBP even though I am using version 3?

GIS
October 4th, 2006, 20:28
Hey GPSFan
I have the same "config.txt" as you.
What du you mean with "replace the EBOOT.PBP" ?
Setup
1. Delete the old version of MapThis!
2. copy the files from \mapViewer_v03\1.5\ to you PSP to : \PSP\GAME\
3. change "FAKEFEED=1" to "FAKEFEED=0" in "\PSP\GAME\mapViewer\system\config.txt"

What FW version is you PSP ?

GPSFan
October 5th, 2006, 09:39
Hey GPSFan
I have the same "config.txt" as you.
What du you mean with "replace the EBOOT.PBP" ?
Setup
1. Delete the old version of MapThis!
3. change "FAKEFEED=1" to "FAKEFEED=0" in "\PSP\GAME\mapViewer\system\config.txt"

What FW version is you PSP ?

Hi I'm using 1.5. So I did exactly what you mentioned but I changed the miles to km that's the only change I've made. The previous versions there was a problem with the EBOOT.PBP and it needed to be replaced. I'm not sure if that problem has been fixed ni the new version that's why I asked.

GIS
October 5th, 2006, 21:44
OK
Try :
1. Format Menory Stick
3. change "FAKEFEED=1" to "FAKEFEED=0" and miles to km in "\PSP\GAME\mapViewer\system\config.txt"

GPSFan
October 8th, 2006, 23:50
OK
Try :
1. Format Menory Stick
3. change "FAKEFEED=1" to "FAKEFEED=0" and miles to km in "\PSP\GAME\mapViewer\system\config.txt"

I did all that. I foud out there was a problem with my cable just a few moments after I tested it witht he old test program. I tried it recently again and it didn't work I have to resoulder things when I have time. But thanks for everyone's your suggestions.

ZeroAltitude
October 9th, 2006, 06:39
Hi Deniska,

I've been coding an update to MapThis 0.3. The purpose of my code has been:

1. Leave what you have alone: if a person has MapThis already working, my code will not affect that.

2. Help people with slow GPS units use MapThis: my GPS unit is from 1997 or something. It's so slow, merely increasing the readtime variable does not fix my problems.

3. Provide a few ideas that might get integrated back into the main codepath: there are general optimizations to the serial port polling code that may help MapThis.

What I have accomplished: my current code appears to accomplish the first two goals. As far as I can tell, if a user of MapThis does not include a new config.txt line saying 'SLOW_GPS=1', my code should not activate at all. Further, I get consistent locks using my wicked old GPS using this code (though I'd still like to keep trying to improve that).

May I share my code with you? What is the best way to do that?

DaxDce
October 14th, 2006, 21:34
is there a section for adding suggestion for the (hopefully) new version of mapthis?

deniska
October 18th, 2006, 16:57
Hi Deniska,

I've been coding an update to MapThis 0.3. The purpose of my code has been:

1. Leave what you have alone: if a person has MapThis already working, my code will not affect that.

2. Help people with slow GPS units use MapThis: my GPS unit is from 1997 or something. It's so slow, merely increasing the readtime variable does not fix my problems.

3. Provide a few ideas that might get integrated back into the main codepath: there are general optimizations to the serial port polling code that may help MapThis.

What I have accomplished: my current code appears to accomplish the first two goals. As far as I can tell, if a user of MapThis does not include a new config.txt line saying 'SLOW_GPS=1', my code should not activate at all. Further, I get consistent locks using my wicked old GPS using this code (though I'd still like to keep trying to improve that).

May I share my code with you? What is the best way to do that?

Hey,
You can post the files that you changed here (zip and attach to this thread) - make sure you put some comments outlining the logic changes...

Russoxley187
October 21st, 2006, 03:12
I changed the FAKEFEED=0 to reflect that. but now I cget a bad data fault.
GPS is on but bad data.
I looked at the slim236 viewer prog and it tracks fine.
8 sats. So I know that my gps and cable works.
Any suggestions?

Russoxley187
October 21st, 2006, 04:03
and i dont get any satilites on mapthis.
none at all, I keep checking my 236 green screen software, its still good. My calbe wokrs and I get 8 sats...
just not in mapthis
strange....

ZeroAltitude
October 21st, 2006, 04:47
Hi Deniska,

Here you go! Let me know if you think you'll integrate these changes so I don't have to manually merge future releases :). Also let me know if I've done a good job of making sure my changes won't affect others.

Cheers,

~0

deniska
October 21st, 2006, 17:56
and i dont get any satilites on mapthis.
none at all, I keep checking my 236 green screen software, its still good. My calbe wokrs and I get 8 sats...
just not in mapthis
strange....
You did take out the UMD and made sure WIFI switch is off, right?If it still does not work - post your config file here, i'd like to take a look

deniska
October 21st, 2006, 18:23
Hi Deniska,

Here you go! Let me know if you think you'll integrate these changes so I don't have to manually merge future releases :). Also let me know if I've done a good job of making sure my changes won't affect others.

Cheers,

~0

Thanks.. I'll give it a try once I have some time at work and if everything works - i'll add it to the "official" code...

I see that you making use of interupts.. I actually got them working in a test prog but never moved them in to main code....

Russoxley187
October 23rd, 2006, 02:41
duh...
still had the wi fi switch on...
what a dumbass...
thanx alot.
I was thinking about something....
IT would be cool if we could coutn the number of people who use this prog...
I wnat to be able to say that I'm so and so out of whomany who have a gps on their psp...
this kicks ass....

deniska rocks...

Russoxley187
October 23rd, 2006, 12:25
Deniska,
Is this the final release, or are you woorking on another one?

strikerranger
October 23rd, 2006, 16:23
i hope so, MapThis is GREAT !!, really. i'm using it now for a month, and it's still fun. i hope deniska beats sony's GPS, becouse sony will make lotts of cash, deniska is just making it for you !

deniska
October 23rd, 2006, 16:53
Deniska,
Is this the final release, or are you woorking on another one?

There has been some slowdown in development of MapThis due to urgent projects at work and some personal matters...
I am still working on this application though...
Currently I am almost done, implementing a new filesystem for maps, which should greatly reduce the map transfer to PSP time and make maps smaller and a bit more manageble...
So - expect more releases and improvements... ;-)

GPSFan
October 24th, 2006, 03:57
There has been some slowdown in development of MapThis due to urgent projects at work and some personal matters...
I am still working on this application though...
Currently I am almost done, implementing a new filesystem for maps, which should greatly reduce the map transfer to PSP time and make maps smaller and a bit more manageble...
So - expect more releases and improvements... ;-)

That's surperb news I look forward to them. The new improvement will greatly be appreciated since map size etc has always been an issue atleast for me. :D

Russoxley187
October 24th, 2006, 12:40
Deniska,

I wonder if you are also working on the map part.
The maps jump every time it tracks. What if it was one giant picture, instead of many different ones.
Just wondering.

deniska
October 24th, 2006, 14:57
FYI, I put together a beta build featuring new GPSFS (map file system) support.
The binaries and details are found here:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068&page=22

deniska
October 24th, 2006, 15:06
Deniska,

I wonder if you are also working on the map part.
The maps jump every time it tracks. What if it was one giant picture, instead of many different ones.
Just wondering.
The gps device gives updates once a second, it's hard to predict where the object is between those position updates.
You can try to tweak following variable in config.txt to make things smoother:
# FRAME RENDERING #
SPEEDFACTOR=0.96

BassKadett
October 25th, 2006, 20:13
Was this ever tested on 2.x+ fw? More specifically 2.6 w/ TA-082 :)

I really want to do this and I'm ready to press the order button for the 236.

I'm using MapThis! v0.3 and it's already my absolute favorite homebrew app. I'd really like to be able to use GPS with it. Thanks deniska! :)

Russoxley187
October 25th, 2006, 20:18
I think the map portion works in 2.x, but not GPS tracking.
Only 1.5 FW.
Its in the forums somewhere, dig for it.

BassKadett
October 25th, 2006, 20:29
crap! the last i heard, in the 30 page thread, was that it was for 1.5 only, but testing needed to be performed. one more reason to hate the new mobo.

icsocket
October 26th, 2006, 04:03
I tried to compile source file (for fun), but getting some errors as below. I guess I am missing a library or something. Can you help me out?

Than you!

$ make
psp-g++ -I. -I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall -g -DDANZEFF_SCEG
U -DNDEBUG -I. -I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall -g -DDANZEFF_S
CEGU -DNDEBUG -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -c -o graphics.o graphics.cpp
graphics.cpp:13:21: error: jpeglib.h: No such file or directory
graphics.cpp:14:20: error: jerror.h: No such file or directory
graphics.cpp: In function 'Image* loadPngImageImpl(png_struct*)':
graphics.cpp:190: warning: unused variable 'a'
graphics.cpp: In function 'Image* loadJpegImageImpl(jpeg_decompress_struct)':
graphics.cpp:217: error: 'dinfo' has incomplete type
... more errors....

ZeroAltitude
October 26th, 2006, 05:14
I am pretty sure I manually svn co'ed libjpeg and libpng and built them to get this to compile. There may be a few others. If you have trouble, post back in this thread and I'll find the references.

~0

deniska
October 26th, 2006, 06:13
build zip libpng and libjpeg and then try to recompile..

pspryu101
October 26th, 2006, 06:47
tomorrow is my trip!! and my gps is not working propery!!! i mean my gps is working, i know i did my cable the right way but whenever i turn my gps on in ur app it says GPS ON and then goes LOCATION OUT OF RANGE! my gps is fresh out of the box and it's working properly but wat i don't get is why it won't receive anything??? i also used ur very first app that configures ur gps but it won't work either it just keeps on showing the same things like number and letters.... maybe the cable??? but i know i built it right.... i'm sure of it!!! maybe because it's out of batt becuz i tried it without charging it that's why it won't receive anything??.....please HELP me!!!! i really need ur help!! thanks!!!!

i would include a video of this guy that has the exact same problem as i do but unfortunately youtube is down right now...sorry....but i will keep on the look out!! thanks!!!

deniska
October 26th, 2006, 13:08
make sure that
1)FAKEFEED is 0 in config.txt
2) NO UMD in drive
3) WIFI switch is OFF

check your map's coordinates against some other source - make sure you have valid lat/lon...

.. and .. make sure that your GPS device has a good fix (Holux changes the blinking pattern of the GPS light)... For example, if Holux GPSlim236 does not have a good fix - it would transmit the coordinates of the last good fix, which may be somethere out of your map's range....

Russoxley187
October 26th, 2006, 14:47
I had the same problem...
I always get the out of range problem when I'm not actually on the map.
Like your actual coordinates are not on the map you loaded.
Load a different one.
Try that...
That should help...

ss173b
October 26th, 2006, 16:46
I'm using firmware 1.52 and downloaded mapViewer_v03 and copy the files under 1.5 folder to the MS.

Strangely, when I run the program, it give an error message saying "The game could not be loaded". I tried again by formatting the MS and copying the files to the Game folder.

Still, I get the same error message. Pls help!!!

Cheers, Kelvin.

Russoxley187
October 26th, 2006, 17:39
FW 1.52?
Try downgrading to 1.50.
Maybe that will fix your problem.

BassKadett
October 26th, 2006, 19:51
what about 2.71 emulating 1.5? Is the hardware preventing the GPS to work? Are there any plans to make it available to the non-1.5ers?

Thanks guys!

deniska
October 26th, 2006, 19:56
GPS functionality requires certain kernal functions, which may not be available in 2.71..
You'll be better off downgrading to 1.5FW and emulating 2.71FW when needed... I think there is some work done in that direction already...

BassKadett
October 26th, 2006, 21:49
Unfortunately, that is not an option for me. I may get an older, non 082 PSP to have 1.5 and this GPS. Thanks for the help!

pspryu101
October 26th, 2006, 23:58
Thanks alot!!! u r a lifesaver!!!! and thanks for ur new GPSFS app it's so much better!!!! pc to psp transfer is so fast, saves space, and faster load times than .zip!!! keep em coming!! o i got one question.....how did u make a global map??? that comes wit the app??? bcuz i can only download maps that are only 1024x1024 so can u teach me how u did that and what is the best settings for my gps??? i got d same one u hav

deniska
October 27th, 2006, 01:08
Thanks alot!!! u r a lifesaver!!!! and thanks for ur new GPSFS app it's so much better!!!! pc to psp transfer is so fast, saves space, and faster load times than .zip!!! keep em coming!! o i got one question.....how did u make a global map??? that comes wit the app??? bcuz i can only download maps that are only 1024x1024 so can u teach me how u did that and what is the best settings for my gps??? i got d same one u hav
In the download tool, navigate to the place you want the map for and select the most distant zoom.
Click the "Advanced" button, then press "get numbers" one. - No you can change the "min zoom" option from zero to higher value ane therefore create less detailed and wider coverage maps...

icsocket
October 27th, 2006, 02:40
Thank you ZeroAltitude and deniska. However I don’t have any experience with compiling business…. Could you explain step by step?

(I found couple of files, jpegsr6.zip and lpng1212.zip. But not sure whether they are right files nor how to use those. I unzip all of them into source folder and compiled it. It did go lot further, but end up another error as below. I knew that is not the right way.)

Thanks again.

/usr/local/pspdev/lib/gcc/psp/4.0.2/../../../../psp/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mapViewer.elf] Error 1

deniska
October 27th, 2006, 21:22
Thank you ZeroAltitude and deniska. However I don’t have any experience with compiling business…. Could you explain step by step?

(I found couple of files, jpegsr6.zip and lpng1212.zip. But not sure whether they are right files nor how to use those. I unzip all of them into source folder and compiled it. It did go lot further, but end up another error as below. I knew that is not the right way.)

Thanks again.

/usr/local/pspdev/lib/gcc/psp/4.0.2/../../../../psp/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mapViewer.elf] Error 1

You probably want to checkout the source from SVN server from PS2dev.org (sometimes it's down though)
For example to get the zlib you type following line at your unix prompt:

svn co svn://svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/zlib
Once you get the code - go to zlib directory and follow the instructions in README(.PSP) file

gl0om
October 28th, 2006, 09:15
hi deniska, your program is supemegaGreat!! Thank you!!

And i've go a question: i've made a map of Moscow, but after loading it in Map This only one district is displayed. Its top-left area - "Leningradskoye shosse", but i was making a whole map of city!! There are all neccessery images and folders in _Moscow dir, i have no idea why it doesnt work as it should.... may be i mus add some lines in coords.txt .. i dont know...
please help me =)

deniska
October 29th, 2006, 02:24
MapThis! looks at bottom-right corner tile at the lowest zoom to determine map's dimension...
It first looks for 1x/1023/1x10231023 tile (checking if it is 1024x map) if it does not find it it looks for
1x/511/1x511511 one (assuming that it may be a 512x map) and so on...
So make sure you have that bottom right tile image in your maps folders...

gl0om
October 29th, 2006, 10:32
yes there are all files in maps folders!!! Its very strange thing, not all images are loads from maps folders except only one area (leningradsoke shosse). This area is displayed on all levels of zoom (from 32x to 1x). And one more thing - In _Moscow folder i've got subfolders from 64x to 1x, files from 64x does not load at all.

here is link to my map
http://files.filefront.com//;6096801;;/
(88mb)
i dnot know may be only I have this trouble.

deniska
October 30th, 2006, 05:28
yes there are all files in maps folders!!! Its very strange thing, not all images are loads from maps folders except only one area (leningradsoke shosse). This area is displayed on all levels of zoom (from 32x to 1x). And one more thing - In _Moscow folder i've got subfolders from 64x to 1x, files from 64x does not load at all.

here is link to my map
http://files.filefront.com//;6096801;;/
(88mb)
i dnot know may be only I have this trouble.

I tried your map and it seems to work fine for me...
what version of MapThis do you un it with?
You did run unzipped version, right?

Perhaps, your MS is corrupted?
If nothing helps, try formatting your MS and reinstalling the entire thing..

gl0om
October 30th, 2006, 08:32
I ran unzipped map with MapThis! v0.3. I dont know if my MS is corrupt, but other soft such as loaders + iso/cso games works perfectly.
Ok i'll try to format my MS - hope it'll fix my trouble. Thank you!

deniska
October 30th, 2006, 15:56
You may want to try the beta version, attached to the download tool thread (somethere towards the end of it) - I tested your map with GPSFS version (although the map was left as directory structure)
Let me know how it works out...

Anthrox
October 31st, 2006, 04:32
Does anyone know for sure if this works with the GPSlim 240? It'd be nice to have that instead of the GPSlim 236 but I don't want to buy it if it won't work. One of the lines under interface is "Compatible Bluetooth device with Serial Port Profile (SPP)" which leads me to believe it will but confirmation would be nice. Thanks.

edit: I know you mentioned this device on the first page but when I went to the site and looked at the interface specs, the 236 had bluetooth and serial port as different entities whereas on the 240 the serial part was gone and there was only mention of serial within the bluetooth specs. The way I understand it is that the 240 doesn't actually have built in bluetooth but needs to connect to a serial bluetooth device via the usb-like port? Meaning that if i hooked it up to my psp it should interface properly right?

pspryu101
October 31st, 2006, 06:44
In the download tool, navigate to the place you want the map for and select the most distant zoom.
Click the "Advanced" button, then press "get numbers" one. - No you can change the "min zoom" option from zero to higher value ane therefore create less detailed and wider coverage maps...

hey again thanks for the help!! so wat r u workin on rit now??? i'm really looking forward for more updates!! keep it up!!! i hav a suggestion.... wat if u add feature.... like a sound sayin like if u hav to turn left, right or straight then ur psp will talk sayin "TURN LEFT" or "TURN RIGHT" it doesn't hav to say the location just left and right for now....wat do u think?? and wat if wen u use the mark feature then iit will just act like a POI .....that way u don't hav to dl POIs to use....:)

by the way i hav another question.....how do u create different maps??? like the one u hav on ur latest mapthis v.03 like this
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/mapthis_v03.jpg
and how do u set ur settings for the best performance of the gps?? thanks!!! :D

gl0om
October 31st, 2006, 13:22
You may want to try the beta version, attached to the download tool thread (somethere towards the end of it) - I tested your map with GPSFS version (although the map was left as directory structure)
Let me know how it works out...
YES!!!! Map loads with GPSFS version from GPSFS files. But doesnt with zip files (unpacked version i didnt try).
Thank you so much!!!!!

deniska
October 31st, 2006, 15:36
zip support was dropped in GPSFS version....

in7ane
October 31st, 2006, 17:07
pspryu101, I wrote up how to create simple custom maps on:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This%21#Creating_a_Custom_Map

As for speaking turn left/right - the speaker would have to be forced to work with the headphones plugged in (is this possible?), after that the direction POIs would still be needed, but I guess could be marked up to trigger the left/right audio files to be played. But it's down to deniska if this is actually possible.

pspryu101
October 31st, 2006, 23:19
thanks in7ane.....i dunno i was just wonderin...hope it's possible though...

icsocket
November 1st, 2006, 01:19
You probably want to checkout the source from SVN server from PS2dev.org (sometimes it's down though)
For example to get the zlib you type following line at your unix prompt:

svn co svn://svn.ps2dev.org/psp/trunk/zlib
Once you get the code - go to zlib directory and follow the instructions in README(.PSP) file

Aaaah! Thank you Deniska. Finally, I was able to complie it. So much to learn, so little time.....
(Also thank you ZeroAltitude.)

icsocket
November 1st, 2006, 01:28
Does anyone know for sure if this works with the GPSlim 240? It'd be nice to have that instead of the GPSlim 236 but I don't want to buy it if it won't work. One of the lines under interface is "Compatible Bluetooth device with Serial Port Profile (SPP)" which leads me to believe it will but confirmation would be nice. Thanks.

edit: I know you mentioned this device on the first page but when I went to the site and looked at the interface specs, the 236 had bluetooth and serial port as different entities whereas on the 240 the serial part was gone and there was only mention of serial within the bluetooth specs. The way I understand it is that the 240 doesn't actually have built in bluetooth but needs to connect to a serial bluetooth device via the usb-like port? Meaning that if i hooked it up to my psp it should interface properly right?

Anthrox, I am using MapTHis with 240. I agree that their spec sheet is confusing. They (240 and 236) are virtually same device except output voltage is 3V instead of V3.3~5. (based on spec) I am using 1K register as with deniska's original design and it works great. 240 also has bluetooth.

Russoxley187
November 1st, 2006, 12:27
OK>>>
I got everything working with the latest beta build.
Works like a charm...
I do have 2 questions though...

Whats the most satellites somebody can get? I had 10. I imagine thats pretty good.

And whats fix quality? Mine always reads 1. Its very accurate, but I was wondering.
Thanks for the help...
With 10 Sats, is it even worth it buying a external antenna?

deniska
November 1st, 2006, 15:00
OK>>>
I got everything working with the latest beta build.
Works like a charm...
I do have 2 questions though...

Whats the most satellites somebody can get? I had 10. I imagine thats pretty good.

And whats fix quality? Mine always reads 1. Its very accurate, but I was wondering.
Thanks for the help...
With 10 Sats, is it even worth it buying a external antenna?

I never got higher number than 9 so far.
Fix quality: 0 = invalid
1 = GPS fix
2 = DGPS fix
Here is the link explaining what DGPS is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_GPS

You may consider external antenna if you have a stationary setup (car/boat/etc) -it should improve the reception in "bad" places (short tunnels, bridges, area with sky scrappers)

Russoxley187
November 1st, 2006, 15:05
Well, I never had 10 either until this morning...
Pretty strange..
I want to relocate my GPS because right now its in my blackberry holder in my windshield.
Thats why I'm prob gonna get an external antenna.
Thanks for the info...

Russoxley187
November 8th, 2006, 20:06
Does anyone know how long the Battery on a GPSlim 236 will last with continuous use?
Just wondering.
I have to make a 8 hr trip into the mountains on North Carolina and I don't want it to die.

deniska
November 9th, 2006, 21:51
Here is what's new in this version:

1) Added new logic for slow gps devices, submitted by ZeroAltitude. This should provide better reading from gps devices with ~4800 baud. You need to put "SLOW_GPS=1" in the config.txt file in order to activate it.

2)Added straight line and path distance calculation logic for non-gps mode. Usage: press [Left trigger] to set/clear marker. Press or hold [right trigger] to add another waypoint(s) to the path. The total path distance will be calculated as a sum of straight line distances between the waypoints. Up to 5000 most recent waypoints are stored in memory and used for plotting of the path. Distance can be calculated for virtually unlimited number of points, but the path will only be drawn for the last 5000 points.

3) Speed of displaying of saved GPS data (FAKEFEED=1) can now be changed with [X] button (while in GPS mode). It rotates between 1x, 3x, 5x, 7x, & 9x.

Please test it and let me know if you have any problems...
You can get the file here:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=272114#post272114 (post # 281)

pspryu101
November 10th, 2006, 01:00
hey tried ur new beta build...but when i load my maps (GPSFS maps by the way) they won't show up...it just says NO MAP DATA AT THIS ZOOM....even tho when i used ur previous build, the v3.5 one...it works.....maybe on this build the GPSFS maps don't work....wat do u think is wrong???

EDIT: hey i tried it...used a regular map like b4 and i tried the waypoint thing and it was working great!! it's a good addon...do u no how to get rid of the white line that follows the cursor or will it just stay there until u turn the marker off??

in7ane
November 10th, 2006, 10:03
pspryu101, you are probably running the old GPSFS file, you need GPSFS2 linked to from http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068&page=28 the new GPSFS maps (5 GPSFS files per map directory) definitely do work.

There are instructions on http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This%21#Converting_Old_Maps on how to convert to the newer format.

deniska, thanks. Excellent feature with the non GPS path, one suggestion with that - could you make the white line originate from the last waypoint rather than the origin. And you know what the next requests will be - the ability to save the path as a series of POIs to use in GPS mode :)

The latest revision of the GPSFS2 app improves repairing maps (the old one still downloaded the tiles already there).

Edit:

World maps not showing the coordinates was due to my mistake in the GPSFS extraction code in the download application losing coords.txt if x or y were 0, this is now fixed if you download the app again (this would have affected you if you encoded a world map into GPSFS, extracted it, and encoded it again).

Edit2:

Running wrong version. A feature request to do with that - could you make Map This! display the build number somewhere automatically, if there is an equivalent of System.Windows.Forms.Application.ProductVersion with autoincrementing (corner of the map selection screen for example).

pspryu101
November 11th, 2006, 05:34
so wat exactly is the new feature of the new GPSFS2??? i just can't figure it out???

EDIT: so i just created a new map wit the new GPSFS2 map downloader and after downloading my map....it just shows NO MAP DATA AT THIS ZOOM....on every soom level it says that...my map won't show up....anyone help me out on this??? and how to use it's new features

Twobee
November 11th, 2006, 15:04
I had to format my memory card before I could get it working properly because somehow my programs were getting corrupted, I would recommend you try pulling everything off your card and formatting it, I just did it with the PSPs format option.

in7ane
November 11th, 2006, 19:14
pspryu101, see if the GPSFS maps from http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This%21#GPSFS_.285_file_format.29 work for you (subway ones have no lat/lon, the star maps should). The 5 file format loads tiles faster than the single file one on large maps.

If these maps do not work for you - it is a map this/memory card/psp problem

If they do - try to extract a map you've created and see if the extracted version works

If all else fails - post a GPSFS (5 file) copy of a map you've created that doesn't work and I'll take a look at it

pspryu101
November 12th, 2006, 01:52
thanks alot in7ane for the fast reply!!! but unfortunately i'm going to have to try it tomorrow or on monday bcuz my bro just borrowed my psp for today cuz he's going to a trip today and will come back tomorrow so i'll see if i hav time....thanks tho...

o yea how bout the map that was featured on the mapthis! v3.0..how do you create a map like that bcuz when i create a map all i see in the selection is google maps, msn maps, and ask maps....thanks!!!

kididio
November 13th, 2006, 15:58
Hi deniska.
I´ve some trouble with my generatet pois again.
I´ve convertet my map (256x256) to the gpfs2 filesystem, it works very well, but, my generatet pois from the old version won´t work with this version :eek: , i´ve copied all files 1=1 to the new dir, _files, icons etc; but when i´am load this in the v0.39 there are no pois on my display, have you changed everthing in the interpreter or i´am to ugly to check how it works ? with new made maps it works!
can you tell me were´s the bug ?

Russoxley187
November 13th, 2006, 16:13
Deniska,

I was wondering how difficult it would be to add another feature that displays the name of your current map. I made about 30 some maps with various zooms, and its impossible to keep up with them.
Like the Right trigger for example, I don't think its being used.
Is that something that sounds good to you? I wanted to thank you and in7ane for making this possible. I just took a 8 hr trip to the mountains of North Carolina and I did not bring a Map, Only my PSP. My wife almost passed out after I told her I didn't bring a map. It worked like a charm. Those roads were crazy...
I never got lost once. You guys rock...
Thanx again...

BassKadett
November 20th, 2006, 06:25
I've searched around, but I couldn't find any answers, and I can't PM yet.

The maps download program only displays red X's when I try to preview. I know this has worked for me in the past, but it doesn't work anymore. Any ideas on how to get it to work? I have .NET 2.0 and I'm using 2.15a. I need new maps! Thank you!! :)

Russoxley187
November 20th, 2006, 16:47
Search this thread, I think there was a more recent version than the one you have...
Google changed the way they did business I think..
Check the "Windows maps download tool for MapThis! by in7ane " Thread too....

deniska
November 20th, 2006, 18:28
Deniska,

I was wondering how difficult it would be to add another feature that displays the name of your current map. I made about 30 some maps with various zooms, and its impossible to keep up with them.
Like the Right trigger for example, I don't think its being used.

The right trigger is already being used... :-(

Russoxley187
November 20th, 2006, 19:26
Is there any other button thats not being used?
Like a combination of two buttons ?
Maybe the volume button? Mute?
Its just an idea. I just think that that is a pretty good function to have, what do you think?

pooka
November 21st, 2006, 02:37
ADVICE TO DENISKA:

Why not set up a SVN or CVS to Mapthis!. An even better idea is to put it on sourceforge.net. Hope to keep up with your coding:).

Thanks.
Pooka

Russoxley187
November 21st, 2006, 05:21
ADVICE TO DENISKA:

Why not set up a SVN or CVS to Mapthis!. An even better idea is to put it on sourceforge.net. Hope to keep up with your coding:).

Thanks.
Pooka

Whats that?

kididio
November 21st, 2006, 16:13
svn/csv is the standard poi format for navigon and/or medion (germany almost) poi files, csv´s are to 99% equvalent to deniskas poi files, there are only more signs in the description string...and the lon/lat data is rotated. look:

9.12700,53.07033,"km 90.3 in Rtg. Bremen, unter Geschwindigkeitsregelanlage","[2974]"
8.92972,53.02922,"km 104.5 in Rtg. Hamburg, unter Geschwindigkeitsregelanlage","[2975]"
8.91306,53.03639,"km 106 in Rtg. Osnabrück, unter Geschwindigkeitsregelanlage","[3110]"
9.17333,53.08694,"km 86.5 in Rtg. Hamburg, Höhe Raststätte Grundbergsee","[8116]"
10.18975,53.56781,"an Brücke vor AS31 'Hamburg-Ost' in Rtg. Bremen, teilstationär","[8260]"
10.40942,53.56028,"an Brücke AS6 'Schwarzenbeck' in Rtg. Berlin, teilstationär","[8259]"
7.97897,50.41233,"km 99.93 linke Spur, Elzer Berg nach AS Diez in Rtg. Süden, LKW-Spur: 40km/h, AS41-42","[2976]"
7.99517,50.41036,"km 101.3 mittlere Spur, Elzer Berg nach AS Diez in Rtg. Süden, LKW-Spur: 40km/h, AS41-42","[3671]"
6.57894,51.48981,"Autobahnende in Rtg. A57 Krefeld auf Mittelstreifen","[3776]"
9.49328,51.25964,"Fuldabrücke in Rtg. Osten","[2990]"

code tag won't work?!

deniska
November 21st, 2006, 20:28
Actually, svn & cvs are source code control and repository systems..
more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Versions_System

Well, I'll probably put the source in after version 0.4 comes out. (should be in a couple of weeks or so)

wraggster
November 21st, 2006, 23:14
version 0.4 eh

cant wait :)

BassKadett
November 23rd, 2006, 04:57
Search this thread, I think there was a more recent version than the one you have...
Google changed the way they did business I think..
Check the "Windows maps download tool for MapThis! by in7ane " Thread too....

Thank you! I think I have the latest build, 2.15aGPSFS2, and its working! Thanks again and keep it up deniska and in7ane.

I know I've asked before, but has MapThis! with the GPS locator been tested on a ta-082 psp? I have the software working under emulated 1.5 perfectly, but I still want to take advantage of the GPS. :)

rkman
November 29th, 2006, 04:31
Thanks for the great HB! By the way, do you have a SVN for Map This! ? I could be easier to grap the source and compile.

[Update] opps haven't seen your previous thread. Can't wait for 0.4 :)

rkman
November 29th, 2006, 08:25
Two possible bugs:

1. After resuming from stand by mode(push power button up and release) to map viewing status, all maps can not be loaded/refreshed properly.

2. crashed several times after pinpointed couples of points(by pressing right button) in Marker On mode.

Some hopes on my list (no order):

It would be nice if

1. usbmod is on when program is running so can upload maps without exiting->usb connection->upload->exit from usb connection->re-enter MapThis!

2. CUP frequency can be set below 222MHz, saving power

3. exit confirmation

4. adjustable cursor speed (the default is slow for me), or maybe can move block by block ( pressing right button and move analog stick?). and the pointer is too thin I think.

5. can remember the position in a map since last viewing

deniska
November 29th, 2006, 16:13
Two possible bugs:

1. After resuming from stand by mode(push power button up and release) to map viewing status, all maps can not be loaded/refreshed properly.

2. crashed several times after pinpointed couples of points(by pressing right button) in Marker On mode.

Some hopes on my list (no order):

It would be nice if

1. usbmod is on when program is running so can upload maps without exiting->usb connection->upload->exit from usb connection->re-enter MapThis!

2. CUP frequency can be set below 222MHz, saving power

3. exit confirmation

4. adjustable cursor speed (the default is slow for me), or maybe can move block by block ( pressing right button and move analog stick?). and the pointer is too thin I think.

5. can remember the position in a map since last viewing

Thanks for the bug reports and suggestions..

1) Stand by mode is not supported in current version.. sorry..
2) Which version of the program did you try? (is this any of the last betas?)
3..5) I'll look in to these

rkman
November 29th, 2006, 17:45
sorry, forgot to mention I'm using the latest mapThis_v3.9_1.5_EBOOT.

deniska
December 1st, 2006, 22:09
Well, this is the last beta before the official 0.4 version. Please give it a try and report bugs...

New stuff:
- add POI ( press [X] in map mode to kick the dialog menu)
- list / search POIs ( press [O] "Select attraction type" menu)... POIs are sorted by distance to current location and can be filtered via pattern search
- remember current map coordinates and zoom from one session to other
- new help screen (could someone create a better/more informative help.txt file??)
- build/version number display
- new screen rotation logic in TRACK UP MODE - hopefully should create a smoother rotation and slightly compensate for GPS errors while not moving.
- some graphics tweaks & cleanups here and there...

F9zDark
December 2nd, 2006, 00:53
I have finally gotten the Holux off Ebay, should be here mid next week. So far I have been using Map This! 0.3 for displaying maps, which works perfectly so far. Once I get the Holux and do some driving I'll let you know if I find any bugs/issues.

Thanks for all your hard work :)

rkman
December 2nd, 2006, 02:56
bugs of 3.99 EBOOT.PBP

1. crashed when pressing O under "select map" mode

2. when "hold button" is in its position, GPS doesn't work

3. in menu mode, up/down buttons are over sensitive for me

4. if we do have POI files in a map folder, "NONE" should not be displayed in "Select attraction type" menu.

hopes

1. when the cursor is on a POI, press X to edit its content

2. under "POI search results" mode, it's good if the description of POI can be displayed. Also, the "POI search results" mode cannot properly display POI files generated by in7sane's map downloader. Format mismatch between self generated POI files and those by in7sane's tool?

3. on a POI in GPS driving mode, it can play a small WAV file together with displaying the text description of the POI, and maybe in7ane can use microsoft's "Text-to-Speech" engine to convert the text direction for POIs, such as those generated by googlemap, to small WAV files then we will have voice direction(even it has to be pregenerated and saved to PSP)

4. can select multiple POI files to display

5. maybe can support kml/kmz POI file format since it's used in google earth?

6. has a power saving "GPS record only" mode in which only gps recording is working but GPS navigation/screen display off. useful for hike tracking.

Thanks!

Russoxley187
December 2nd, 2006, 03:20
bugs of 3.99 EBOOT.PBP

4. if we do have POI files in a map folder, "NONE" should not be displayed in "Select attraction type" menu.

hopes

2. under "POI search results" mode, it's good if the description of POI can be displayed. Also, the "POI search results" mode cannot properly display POI files generated by in7sane's map downloader. Format mismatch between self generated POI files and those by in7sane's tool?

3. on a POI in GPS driving mode, it can play a small WAV file together with displaying the text description of the POI, and maybe in7ane can use microsoft's "Text-to-Speech" engine to convert the text direction for POIs, such as those generated by googlemap, to small WAV files then we will have voice direction(even it has to be pregenerated and saved to PSP)

Thanks!

I agree with some of the bugs, I got them too.

It crashed a few times selecting a map too.
Otherwise I love it...

rkman
December 2nd, 2006, 04:39
emm.. one more thing

in the graphical keymap(really cool), the "del" doesn't work. since we have letters all in upper case for POI description, the "R_trigger" seems not that useful except for several symbols such as ^@* etc.

Russoxley187
December 2nd, 2006, 04:55
bugs of 3.99 EBOOT.PBP

The problem with a wav file or mp3 is that its impossible for you to head it, your audio jack is being used by the GLS /usb cable.
I think that was answered somewhere else before, real good idea though...

rkman
December 2nd, 2006, 05:13
The problem with a wav file or mp3 is that its impossible for you to head it, your audio jack is being used by the GLS /usb cable.
I think that was answered somewhere else before, real good idea though...

Not a problem, the self made GPS cable actually doesn't use the audio jack, but only two of the 6-pins, the audio jack uses other 3 lines (pink/red/black).

Russoxley187
December 2nd, 2006, 17:25
Not a problem, the self made GPS cable actually doesn't use the audio jack, but only two of the 6-pins, the audio jack uses other 3 lines (pink/red/black).

Well,

My GPS cable works correctly all the time, and I tested that theory several times.
I was playing some music an then I plugged in the GPS cable.
The sound went off...
MAybe my Cable is different, not sure, but it does not work for me.
I use the Audiojack as an Line in to my Car stereo.

in7ane
December 2nd, 2006, 18:22
deniska, if you are releasing 0.4 before Friday (off for a few weeks then) and want to bundle a correspondingly versioned map download app I've put one up on (I'll trigger the auto update as soon as Map This! 0.4 is released):

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.4.0b.zip

Functionality wise it's the same as the latest GPSFS one.

rkman
December 2nd, 2006, 18:44
I was playing some music an then I plugged in the GPS cable.

is the cable attached to the GPS receiver? if not, sounds weird since all 6-pins are open in both case(w/ w/o cable)

Russoxley187
December 2nd, 2006, 18:46
its not, but let me try it again..

Russoxley187
December 3rd, 2006, 00:47
nope,. it did not work,
I tried both ways, with it connected to the GPS and without...

deniska
December 3rd, 2006, 01:36

Actually, the phone jack seems to trigger the power on the serial port in PSP, ie w/o the audio jack the GPS communication does not seem to work....

deniska
December 3rd, 2006, 06:30
bugs of 3.99 EBOOT.PBP

hopes

6. has a power saving "GPS record only" mode in which only gps recording is working but GPS navigation/screen display off. useful for hike tracking.

Thanks!
Thanks for the feedback...Nice finds..will try to fix it ASAP.... lol I did not realize people use hold button..since mine is broken..(psp fell down)

As to "hopes" section... well, I'll try to implement some of it eventually...

GIS
December 3rd, 2006, 22:33
I have ben testede the new 3.99 version and everything works OK.
You have make a great application.

(I use Dark_Alex's Custom Firmware 2.71 SE-C)

GIS
December 4th, 2006, 11:45
Bug: GPS-function, when I use this, the GPS-point-Icon is : disappeaing or showing in nord-direction when I am not driving in nord-direction. I can take a picture, if you want. This is only happen in the "Toggle North up"-mode.

Russoxley187
December 4th, 2006, 12:59
Deniska,
I have a question for you.

I remember somebody a while ago asked about Map This working on FW 2XX. He was told that he needed Kernal Acces for it to work in the GPS mode.
Here comes the question.
I have two PSP's, one uses ,Dark_Alex's Custom Firmware 2.71 SE-C, the other is a Ta-82 2.71which I do a reverse Devhook on to emulate 1.5 FW.
When I devhook I can also Load ISO's, which I was told I would only be able to do having 1.5 Kernel Acces.
But it works fine. I tried Mapthis this moring and it gave me first a BAD then No for GPS signal.
What do you think?
Do you think it can be made to work with DEvhook emulating 1.5
When you go to check the FW, it tells you 1.5. Not like the otehr homebrew enablers.
I think its called HENB

deniska
December 4th, 2006, 16:39
Bug: GPS-function, when I use this, the GPS-point-Icon is : disappeaing or showing in nord-direction when I am not driving in nord-direction. I can take a picture, if you want. This is only happen in the "Toggle North up"-mode.

Thanks for the report, I got this problem too while driving yestreday... I'll try to fix it in the next release...

deniska
December 4th, 2006, 16:46
Deniska,
I have a question for you.

I remember somebody a while ago asked about Map This working on FW 2XX. He was told that he needed Kernal Acces for it to work in the GPS mode.
Here comes the question.
I have two PSP's, one uses ,Dark_Alex's Custom Firmware 2.71 SE-C, the other is a Ta-82 2.71which I do a reverse Devhook on to emulate 1.5 FW.
When I devhook I can also Load ISO's, which I was told I would only be able to do having 1.5 Kernel Acces.
But it works fine. I tried Mapthis this moring and it gave me first a BAD then No for GPS signal.
What do you think?
Do you think it can be made to work with DEvhook emulating 1.5
When you go to check the FW, it tells you 1.5. Not like the otehr homebrew enablers.
I think its called HENB

Well, this is more a question for Booster & DarkAlex.
My guess is that reverse devhook (which I know nothing about) has incomplete serial port emulation for ta-82 board. Of perhaps, the board has different input voltage - so you just need a different resistance value???
Of course, serial port is not used in most comercial ISO games so you would not know the difference, playing the ISO images...

deniska
December 4th, 2006, 16:50
deniska, if you are releasing 0.4 before Friday (off for a few weeks then) and want to bundle a correspondingly versioned map download app I've put one up on (I'll trigger the auto update as soon as Map This! 0.4 is released):

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/gmdl0.4.0b.zip

Functionality wise it's the same as the latest GPSFS one.

No problem... I'll try to wrap something up before friday.. After that I am off for a week too - going skiing to Utah...

Russoxley187
December 4th, 2006, 16:56
Deniska,
I'll try to contact Booster or Dark Alex, and ask them that same question.
Thanx for your help..
You are awesome.
Have fun Skiing...

deniska
December 4th, 2006, 22:11
The release addresses a few bugs that people found in v0.3.99.. So please re-test

New variable is introduced in config.txt:

## SCREEN TURN TOGGLE SPEED:
## MINIMUM SPEED AT WITH SCREEN ROTATION
## TAKES PLACE. VALUE IN KNOTTS
## THIS SHOULD MINIMIZE SCREEN ROTATION
## DUE TO GPS ERRORS WHILE THE POSITION IS
## UNCHANGED
TURNSPEED=3

GIS
December 5th, 2006, 22:11
The GPS-point-Icon bug i fix.

Russoxley187
December 5th, 2006, 23:40

???
WHAT?

F9zDark
December 6th, 2006, 05:44
Just gave this a shot after getting my Holux; works great, thanks alot for this. Now I just gotta straighten up my cable (since its just jerry rigged at the moment) Tomorrow, if I finish work early, I'll give it a nice test run.

GIS
December 6th, 2006, 07:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIS

???
WHAT?

See post #129 and #131

The-Avenger
May 5th, 2007, 13:22
At PSP Updates QJ (http://pspupdates.qj.net/Map-This-v0-4-99-beta-now-with-localization-support/pg/49/aid/91434)

It says it has a Localization feature. What is that?

Feature suggestion: Make it so it switches to other maps automatically as you start to leave the current map.

Now all we need is MapThis! 0.5 (not BETA).

ThE AvEnGeR

plastikowl
May 6th, 2007, 03:30
thank you for bringing this thread back to the top.

Boss_psp
May 2nd, 2008, 04:19
Deniska Deniska Deniska Greattt Job !!!

mhfan305
January 4th, 2010, 20:45
is there any way, or will this maybe be implanted in the future, to up the speed of the pc cursor using the psp analog? Im trying to play a few games but I cant do to the enormous lag. Im using v0.4 psp slim.

kikiiru
April 10th, 2010, 10:20
I am currently living in Japan and I recently bought a PSP here. This PSP is the MOST RECENT one so it is currently impossible to hack and put homebrew software on it. The version is 6.20 and it is NOT downgradable. I also purchased a GPS receiver attatchment which I am now dissapointed to realize it is only a receiver and does not come with any software. I could of course blow another 90$ on Japans recent release of their navigation software which is only limited to Japan.

I want to use MapThis! because its free but I have a sinking feeling that because my PSP is so new I cannot use this software. It's what everyone else has used for their GPS receiver because Sony like to play mind games when it comes to releasing corresponding software.

So, as a person with a PSP 3000 with 6.20v which cannot be downgraded will I be able to use MapThis! ? Am I doomed to buy the mediocre and overpriced navigation software from japan which I cant use outside of japan or really understand anyways?