PDA

View Full Version : c++ help

weirdelf
September 21st, 2006, 18:41
I have triedloads of different c++ tutorials. At the end of them it always says to type "make". When I do this it says that there is no specified target and doesn't do anything. I read all of the tutorials carefully and don't know what I have done wrong

Lukeson
September 21st, 2006, 18:53
you need to have a *nix developement environment installed for this. Try this:

http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/c/lesson01.htm

PS: The installation of the toolchain took 2 and a half hours on my 1,5Ghz system, not 4hours on a 3Ghz (as stated in the tutorial).

weirdelf
September 23rd, 2006, 10:14
I already have these things

psiko_scweek
September 23rd, 2006, 10:46
one thing you could make sure is your file...

make sure its somthing like

main.cpp

not

main.cpp.txt

also make sure in your makefile, you have it set up so it states that the OBJS is

main.o

of course if your file is named anything other than main be sure to update the Makfile.

oh yeah, one last thing.

make sure your makefile is just Makefile not Makefile.txt or Makefile.cpp just plain Makefile.

those should work

weirdelf
September 23rd, 2006, 11:00
thanks, will try that

weirdelf
September 23rd, 2006, 11:13
I have checked all these things and found the problem is the my Makefile is Makefile.txt. But I dont know how to make it so it is not .txt

psiko_scweek
September 23rd, 2006, 13:08
alright now that we know what the problem is we can work on getting it solved!

(im going to assume your using windows)

alright if it acutally says Makefile.txt when you lookat the file in windows, you can highlight the file by clicking on it, press the F2 key, so your renamng it and then just delete the ".txt" at the end.

now if it doesnt say ".txt" at the end here is how to do it, open the folder that has the Makefile, click on Tools -> Folder Optons. That will bring up a dialouge box, the second tab will say "View" click on that and toward the middle you will see a bunch of checkmarks and radio buttons, click on the box that says "Hide Extensions of Known File Types" so that it is no longer checked. Now of course hit apply and exit and now it will actually say "Makefile.txt" so you can follow the instructions above.

Please note, windows will ask you if your sure that you want to change the extension to a possible unusable type, please click on YES.