PDA

View Full Version : How to de-gloss an Onyx DS?

wraggster
September 21st, 2006, 20:00
Someone at Neogaf (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120209&page=2) posted how to degloss his DS:

I do highly recommend working with a lamp if you decide to do this. You see to wipe off the dust and look at it at an angle to see where it's still slightly glossy. Once you work off the gloss it's a different kind of plastic underneath and scratches don't show.

For a last couple notes, I used one of those fluffy-feeling kind of paper towels to brush dust off the file now and then. It got it off best and would grab on the grit to let me know how much is left on the part of the file I was using.

Also, after you wipe off the dust, there is still going to be a very thin layer on the top that will make it look lighter. Just use your hand oil (it will soak up your hands dry) and when you rub it you should see the superfine dust form into clumps, it seems bluejeans are best for wiping this off, then use a finer cloth to buff it more.

I decided I'd leave the sides smooth and shiny because it looks kind of cool, it'll make sliding the power and volume easier and it'd be a pain to work on.

Before and after Screens Via Comments

Tennisgy
September 21st, 2006, 20:22
how could he?

Mabolsa Ritchie
September 21st, 2006, 21:33
Hmm could possibly leave a glossy design on there if you sanded it down carefully. The tutorial is very basic but the effect is great. A matte DS. I was thinkning of attempting this a while ago but got distracted modding my 360 pad.

NoQuarter
September 21st, 2006, 21:46
Pretty nice,probably prevents those smudge marks too.

mmmbud
September 21st, 2006, 22:10
I sanded my ds phat a while ago, it looked great under the silver paint its a classic snes colour.

kcajblue
September 22nd, 2006, 00:04
id rather get a different color replacement shell than do that to my DS lite.

woods05
September 22nd, 2006, 00:22
I like the before picture and I don't like the aftermath picture.

Junixx
September 22nd, 2006, 04:08
I sanded my ds phat a while ago, it looked great under the silver paint its a classic snes colour.

Dude, i may have to do that, I've been using mine so much i can see that color around the edges LOL it looks cool

but im still a tad confused on what you use, it says in the article a file, does it mean like a nail file? :confused:

Video_freak
September 22nd, 2006, 04:13
Dude, i may have to do that, I've been using mine so much i can see that color around the edges LOL it looks cool

but im still a tad confused on what you use, it says in the article a file, does it mean like a nail file? :confused:
Same here. :P

BelmontSlayer
September 22nd, 2006, 06:40
Yes, a nail file. Like older women carry around in their purses.

ACID
September 22nd, 2006, 06:42
Oh mi god is he crazy

kcajblue
September 22nd, 2006, 06:45
thats what i first thought when i saw the picture.
i thought to myself "that guy must be crazy to do that to his DS Lite."

ACID
September 22nd, 2006, 06:46
It looks ugly without it.

Junixx
September 22nd, 2006, 12:37
I would rather have the gloss on a DS Lite but the silver off of my DS Phat lol