PDA

View Full Version : PS3 : Price cut and additional features!

happy_mak
September 22nd, 2006, 05:14
Well, if this is not breaking news, I dont know what is

PS3 price has been cut 20% even before it is launched!!!!

In japan , though, and the price it would retail for is 49980 yen as against the earlier 62790 yen.

That is massive and also the cream is in the announcement that the 20 GB model would also include a HDMI out!!!! Now this is a bonanza am sure.

Well i was leaning towards the Wii, uhh well now, I guess I am again "sitting on the fence" , back to square one.:cool:

http://newsinfo.inq7.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=22453

NoQuarter
September 22nd, 2006, 05:32
I'll take all of the above :)

Video_freak
September 22nd, 2006, 06:37
I'm stuck between the 360 and the PS3 now... :P

ACID
September 22nd, 2006, 06:38
360 is a big paper wait go with the PS3

dejkirkby
September 22nd, 2006, 07:34
Video_Freak, the 360 should be called XBox 1.1

shadowprophet
September 22nd, 2006, 07:50
Im telling you guys when you see a ps3 in person, your gonna be shocked at its monstrous size. it rivals the x-box-1 in sheer size.

I read that somewhere on a 1up blog, they just couldnt get over the ps3's massive size.. Its not gonna be as small as everyone thinks ..

NoQuarter
September 22nd, 2006, 07:50
Yeah the 360 has a ton of harware problems.That doesn't mean the PS3 won't though.

That sux Shadowprophet,guess I'll have to make it it's own home.I just gotta have Tekken 6 and MGS 4 though !

ACID
September 22nd, 2006, 07:54
Hey will the usa get the price drop or only japan

NoQuarter
September 22nd, 2006, 07:55
I sure hope the US gets the price drop,that'd make things a little easier on me.

ACID
September 22nd, 2006, 07:58
Ill get it regardles but i think its only fare

dejkirkby
September 22nd, 2006, 08:00
Nice to see you again SP.
Back on topic, I will guarantee that this reduction doesn't find it's way to the leper colony that Sony treats Europe as. In fact to make their money back, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a price hike.

shadowprophet
September 22nd, 2006, 08:12
Nice to see you again SP.
Back on topic, I will guarantee that this reduction doesn't find it's way to the leper colony that Sony treats Europe as. In fact to make their money back, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a price hike.

I really wish I had been keeping up with ps3 news, the last I had heard, they where haveing problems with the blue ray drives in them.

If though they can somehow get the price around 500.00 us. I can see a price tag like that working.
But, Concider that japan for all its market power is still only a place roughly the size of california. Im almost certain we wont see a price drop like that world wide.

Sony is too greedy to foot the bill for a world wide price cut like that..

dejkirkby
September 22nd, 2006, 08:17
With the marketing that Sony has done for the PS3 in Europe, no doubt they are gonna lose big time. They will definitely lose the Christmas battle. And with their Easter release, they won't pick up on that many sales, because Easter isn't that much of a big deal, in relation to retail. Except for Easter Eggs, obviously!

shadowprophet
September 22nd, 2006, 08:21
With the marketing that Sony has done for the PS3 in Europe, no doubt they are gonna lose big time. They will definitely lose the Christmas battle. And with their Easter release, they won't pick up on that many sales, because Easter isn't that much of a big deal, in relation to retail. Except for Easter Eggs, obviously!
See we wont know how good sony is going to do this generation untill there new horse is out of the barn so to speak. But As i see it reguardless of how well the ps3 preforms this generation, sony has done irepairable damage to its public relations, with its condecending attitude tword its fans. ultimately this attitude wont be forgotten quickly. I believe sony lit the fuse this generation, and by next gen they will have blown up completely. Its just not good buisness politics to piss off your consumers lol

Too bad R.I.P sony,. lol

**Not to double post so i'll just edit into this.

Not to mention confusion is the very last thing you want a consumer to be. im not a buisness major, But it just seems to me the more you confuse people with addons and features people either dont need dont want or cant even use, just alienates the comsumer further.
My suggestion, nintendos simple approach to this has really been to nintendos benifit in these confusing times.

im not saying consumers are stupid. But people have enought things to worry about without going to the electronics store and trying to figure out of there tv has some feature they have never even heard of. lol

im sure some of the features are very helpful. but when you present the consumer with loads and loads of overwhelming information. it only serves to confuse the average consumer.

in short, I understand the need for upgrades and new features. But Is it really necessary to that your ps3 does absoultly everything under the sun ?

When you make a console that does everything. Is it really still a console ? or is the fact that it plays games just a bonus feature too ?

some if the new features in consoles really are unnecessary.

dejkirkby
September 22nd, 2006, 09:03
I agree with everything you just said. But to add to it, I believe this:
The PS3 is being sold, primarily, as a games machine. All the extra features, like you said could be very useful, but the fact is no matter what spin Sony put on it, consumers will see this as a games machine. With that in mind, I think Sony have seriously priced themselves out of the console market. When push comes to shove, in these financially turbulent times, £500 is way too much for Sony to expect their fanbase to spend, especially when the cost doesn't stop there. What with the add-ons, upgrades, memory costs, HDTV, etc. I believe Sony has dropped the ball. Then with the catastrophe that they have with the botched worldwide launch and then screwing over Europe, Sony have then punted the ball for a Microsoft/Nintendo field goal. I seriously would prefer to have a PS3, but finance dictates that I can get my boys a PSP each and still have enough for a Wii and some extra peripherals. Unfortunately (for me) I will have to wait a long time before I can get me a PS3.

shadowprophet
September 22nd, 2006, 10:29
yeah, don't quote me on this. But this generation ive noticed that no one's as interested in next generation platforms , like they where previously.

last generation I remember scrambling to get in line to buy a ps2 and there where a lot of other people in that line. Im sure it will be like that on launch day for the ps3. But over all I feel people are losing interest in (the next big thing) Im sure there are many people who are very excited about next gen don't get me wrong. But the buzz that's being generated for next gen systems at the moment, is shockingly low. Need proof. Ask ten people at random what system there gonna get next gen. I guarantee you at least five of those ten people, literally don't care about next gen anything.

Weather it be because this generation was forced upon us too soon. or people are just getting tired of the infinitely paying for the same old shit. something's definitely wrong with the hype meter this gen...

dejkirkby
September 22nd, 2006, 10:37
I really believe that it boils down to money. In this debt reidden culture there won't be the amount of people able justify the spending of such sums of money on a console, especially in the wake of cheaper alternatives.

shadowprophet
September 22nd, 2006, 10:50
I really believe that it boils down to money. In this debt reidden culture there won't be the amount of people able justify the spending of such sums of money on a console, especially in the wake of cheaper alternatives.

Good point,, the economy everywhere is getting worse every day.

At this point asking someone for 500.00 for a console is like really is asking a lot.
people never really bring that into these debates. But its true, with the stress on the economy right now. five hundred dollars is a hella lot.. Ive always said the ps3 was too expensive.
I'll probably get one anyway. But hell. they have already ruined every game i like anyway.

they've killed final fantasy with action rpg ninja gaidan rip-off bullshit. they cant seem to get castlevania right to save there lives. metal gear solid has went from cult classic. to shameless fan boy pleaser.

And mario. god help him if they make him any more eco friendly after mario sunshine. the next step will be soy powered karts.

.. i dunno. everything's changing. and its not all for the better...

dejkirkby
September 22nd, 2006, 11:00
Ha Eco-Friendly Mario. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo didn't let him fly until he produced a certificate stating he was carbon-neutral!!
No doubt I will be getting a PS3 eventually, but personally I would rather spend my £500 on other things and wait for a price reduction. You will always get fanboys that will buy PS3 just because it's Sony, but with a price tag of £500 that will dwindle. Hell, you can get a HD-ready TV for that cash, or even a mid-spec laptop or a high spec desktop. even my side-by-side fridge-freezer only cost that and it's huge!

irongiant
September 22nd, 2006, 12:52
Nintendo have shat all over europe for many many years and resold the same old tat time and time again with each redesign of the Gameboy along with rereleases of the same NES and SNES games.

How quickly people forget. Anyone who thinks for a second that anything Sony has said or done will affect sales on the street is living in a fantasy world. The ONLY thing that will stop PS3 being a worldwide success is the price, nothing more nothing less. Harcore gamers only make up a small percentage of console buyers, the massive majority are joe public who wants the next Fifa, Madden, Tekken or whatever. They couldn't give a hoot about what KK spouts or what's being displayed at TGS, all they want is the latest machine and the latest version of their fave games.. just look at the sales charts to see who/what the games buying public is.

ninja9393
September 22nd, 2006, 13:14
i am still only going to buy the wii

Makaveli777
September 25th, 2006, 17:52
A price drop was needed badly. I'm definatly getting a ps3 though because of the exclusives they have like metal gear solid, tekken, killzone, devil may cry, final fantasy etc. ShadowProphet is right though im kinda happy with my current gen systems right now and dont feel like switching yet. There are still games to be played on them.

gdf
September 26th, 2006, 22:40
Think of us poor europeans! We hav to wait longer for the damned thing, it costs most in the uk and our games will probly be £50, almost $100!Why do we have to suffer!:mad:

mavsman4457
September 27th, 2006, 03:14
Think of us poor europeans! We hav to wait longer for the damned thing, it costs most in the uk and our games will probly be £50, almost $100!Why do we have to suffer!:mad:

I feel so bad for you. America the beautiful!

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 03:35
i am still only going to buy the wii
I might get 360 or PS3 in a couple years... :)