PDA

View Full Version : Sony: Nintendo is losing audience, not expanding it

wraggster
September 23rd, 2006, 10:05
Something to wind up all DS fans:

Via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/22/sony-claims-nintendo-is-losing-core-audience-not-expanding-it/)

In an interview with GameDaily, Sony VP Jack Tretton spoke out about the PSP versus DS market share battle. He believes according to early adoption rates of both the PSP and DS that Nintendo may actually be losing its core gamer audience instead of expanding upon it. From the interview:

"[Nintendo and their DS] are appealing to the same audience that Game Boy has always appealed to. And if you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms ... They're potentially losing some of their core audience and they're not really expanding beyond that, and we think we're expanding into a completely new audience as we did with PlayStation ... we'll dip down to the younger consumer eventually, and we'll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation."

Is he talking out of his backside or what ?

souLLy
September 23rd, 2006, 10:08
I'm glad he doesn't let stupid things like facts cloud his judgement.

b8a
September 23rd, 2006, 11:07
The only thing somewhat shady about his statement is the first part, but I honestly don't know what the adoption rate for the GBA, GBC, GB were. He could very well be telling the truth. DS may be selling well, but that doesn't mean that people are snatching it up in the same droves as previous Nintendo handhelds. I completely agree with everything else he says. Nintendo hasn't given themselves anywhere to go but down, while Sony was setup for a gradual incline from the start. I don't see where the facts contradict his statements (other than possibly the adoption rate of the DS, which I just don't know. You do have to admit that the adoption rate of the PSP has been spectacular, especially given that Nintendo's GB line was the only real handheld option for close to fifteen years).

cloud_952
September 23rd, 2006, 12:20
FACT: o_o To work for Sony, you have to be totally, utterly, ******* insane.

If you have any touch with reality, better look for a new company.

Dave the Rave
September 23rd, 2006, 12:22
What about people who's first handheld console was an NDS? I'm not talking about kids either, I'm 35 and the NDS was my first handheld as I didn't think any of the others were any good. Apparently games like Brain Training are selling well to mature adults, that's an entirely new market that Sony haven't tapped into yet.

ComixSans
September 23rd, 2006, 13:51
I feel sorry for Sony.
They have been so popular, being so trendy and cool, but now the losing friends to that nerdy nintendo.
just cos their inovotive and make better games.

Shadowblind
September 23rd, 2006, 13:54
Yup, if only Nintendo werent so much better then them at everything but homebrew, and less money-hungry. Oh well. :)

ACID
September 23rd, 2006, 14:33
His talking out his A**. His first words when the sony was unveiled last year where. The best and new generation of hand held Ha till this day if not for homebrew sony PSP would have been dead. Crap i have 4 PSP all 1.50 and i still havent played a true original game. NDS is all original

SSaxdude
September 23rd, 2006, 14:34
Sony is losing their audience because most people don't care/want a Blu-Ray player or some resolution that their TV doesn't support. Nintendo went with the practical aproach, and that's why they'll gain more of an audience.

JKKDARK
September 23rd, 2006, 14:49
Nintendo ****s sony in the handhelds

The Hombrew Hunter
September 23rd, 2006, 16:29
Yeah, this man is speaking out of his sh*t-filled *ss.

DS has already pretty much blown Sony out of the water.

BMH
September 23rd, 2006, 17:24
Sony sees things in 4 dimensions.. So maybe he's right.. On some 4th dimensional way of thinking.....

Video_freak
September 23rd, 2006, 18:05
Sony VP Jack Tretton
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, his name is so close to "you-know-who's". :eek:

emuking
September 23rd, 2006, 19:10

that has been known since the beggining of time, nintendo always ****s anyone in the ass when it comes to handhelds

kcajblue
September 23rd, 2006, 19:40
very true.

Kaspanova
September 23rd, 2006, 19:43
what a crock of shit. sony always trying to outsell themselves.

Sony just want to sell SONY FILMS. its been apparant since the launch of PS2.

Noticed on their DVDs, they say "PS2 Compatible"

Noticed they sold the UMD aspect of their PSPs more than the games. With a new format of film that FLOPPED BIG TIME.

Now Blu-Ray, more film material in their consoles.

Why don't they just concentrate on films? it would benefit us all.

werpu
September 23rd, 2006, 20:30
Cloud #7 I must say... while sony majorly ****ed up with the PSP from a good starting position (hint at sony, dont fight homebrew, lowere the prices and you have a winner instead of a loser) I do not see where Nintendo is losing its core audience.
The GBA never was core, it always was an entry machine, so was the Gameboy and the Game and watch series. Now I look at the demographic, the NDS is not only played by kiddies like the old handhelds, you can find users along all ages, now lets look at the sales figures, while both started out equally, it seems like a 5-10:1 parity now is in actual sales figures between both consoles.
The only machine dying I can see there is the GBA...

woods05
September 23rd, 2006, 20:39
He is jealous that PSP sucks and the DS is much better.

Metal_Spirit
September 23rd, 2006, 20:42
Well... I´m 35... and guess what... I could buy either a PSP or a DS.. And choose the DS lite.
Why? Simple... The DS is a fun original console... The PSP just is a portable PS2. Nothing new there.
This is how i see it. And the DS was my first handheld console, although I own a PS2. But after trying the DS, and although the PS3 technicly is impressive, i´m really considering the wii... I want fun, and nintendo is offering me that. Sony is giving me good games too, but on a style I´m already tired of after all these years.

kcajblue
September 23rd, 2006, 20:45
i see what you mean.

Lorestel
September 23rd, 2006, 21:00
Nintendo will always win in the handheld market, and Sony will always whine.

breizhatavpilamiks
September 23rd, 2006, 21:31
I want fun, and nintendo is offering me that. Sony is giving me good games too, but on a style I´m already tired of after all these years.

I couldn't agree more. Nintendo is the only big player still out there who keeps delivering games in the style I learned to love while growing up... 100% focus on playability and fun and not on the latest in shiny 3D visuals. What use are fancy graphics when a game itself is nothing more than the umpteenth Doom/Quake clone? I am 31, and of course I could afford both a PSP and a DS, but I am simply not interested in the former. I'm going to bag a Wii and not a PS3, that's for sure.

Junixx
September 24th, 2006, 02:11
I couldn't agree more. Nintendo is the only big player still out there who keeps delivering games in the style I learned to love while growing up... 100% focus on playability and fun and not on the latest in shiny 3D visuals. What use are fancy graphics when a game itself is nothing more than the umpteenth Doom/Quake clone? I am 31, and of course I could afford both a PSP and a DS, but I am simply not interested in the former. I'm going to bag a Wii and not a PS3, that's for sure.

I also agree with that

greyfox123
September 24th, 2006, 04:33
sony is just angry because they have been sucking so much with everything. All they are trying to do is get into the teen market, but they are failing at that by making everything horribly overpriced so no teen can really afford one. Sony is eventually going to be dead in the water because all they are doing is being non inovative and copying what ever nintendo has to offer.
sony tries to give you insane graphics and everything, and that is just usless unless the game is good. They should stop worrying about having so much useless Sh*t in the ps3 and worry about the price and playability.

lightningdude
September 24th, 2006, 08:33
I had at one time considered picking up the PSP. That was before I had heard of the DS Lite. The DS seemed to big to play to me, but my Lite is perfect. Besides, the PSP has only 2 or 3 titles that I would like to play, and a soon-coming "port" of a game that I have on GBA.

With the Supercard that I have, my DS Lite does just as much, if not more than the PSP can. So what if the screens aren't as big. I take quality over quantity anyday.

iball
September 24th, 2006, 10:30
Everytime a Sony executive open his or her mouth, sh1t falls out.
This is just a desperate attempt by upper management to try to "spin" the PSP's low sales numbers in relation to the fast sales of the DS.
I stopped buying Sony video games when the PS3's price was announced and one of the executives said that everyone will buy a PS3 because "it's the Playstation brand" and went on to insult their own fanbois.

iam608s
September 24th, 2006, 13:17
stop your mouth after you done the game very fun Sony suck .

Cygoku
September 24th, 2006, 21:27
What a troll!

Cygoku

Payk
September 24th, 2006, 23:31
I ALWAYS was a sega fan. from mega drive to the dc i got it all. (just no nomad)....well i never had a nintendo before the ds. I know lots of ppl who had a ps1 a ps2 and now a psp. They also want a ps3.
I CANT CONFIRM HIS "GUESSMENT".
I am pretty shure that many ppl bought a ds because of the "touch", and not becuase of nintendo it self. I dont think that nds owners are the gba-generation or something. And at least ds has been sold more then the GAMECUBE! So the fan community is definitly grown up. Sonys marketing strategys doesnt effect me...

EDIT: Last time i read an article about the ps3 controller. And why they hv stolen the idea.
They said in this business its not uncommon to do that. He said "PS was first 3d console and nobody was wondering why n64 has stolen the idea"....
>WELL at first Sega saturn was very first console for the home, which could render 3d in realtime.(not 100% sure, but ps1 wasnt first for sure...and think about virtual boy...many years before).

JKKDARK
September 24th, 2006, 23:36
What a troll!

Cygoku
I wonder what is troll.. :confused:

stotheamuel
September 25th, 2006, 01:10
and less money-hungry. Oh well. :)

you're kidding right??

Payk
September 25th, 2006, 15:48
JKKDARK:

I wonder what is troll..
Ehmm.....lets say...like a ugly hobbit....but shouldnt u know that? (i mean: Solltest doch wissen hehe)

masterpaul
September 25th, 2006, 15:59
hmm... I wonder how he would explain himself after 5 years.

My guess," I don't recall saying anything like that"