PDA

View Full Version : Fans say Playstation 3 lacks the 'wow' factor

wraggster
September 23rd, 2006, 10:10
THE Tokyo Game Show was the event that gaming fans had been waiting for: a chance, at last, to play the much-hyped — and much delayed — PlayStation 3.
For Sony, it was a chance, after a series of embarrassing mistakes, to prove that PlayStation still deserves to dominate the video games market.

What the machine actually delivered was a dazzling array of graphics. The dozen games on show yesterday have reached such sophistication that eyelashes, blades of grass and droplets of water can be animated individually.

But fans and analysts were united in the view that the PS3, despite the superiority of its technology, has failed to demonstrate its “wow” factor.

It will be an expensive, complicated machine, and must make early gains before Christmas to win over the Japanese market, where it will be sold for 50,000 yen (£226). Britain will not get any PS3s until March.

Fans criticised a lack of innovation. The controller was almost exactly the same as the one that came with the original PlayStation and PS2.

It also relies heavily on recycled hits. The games set to be released with the machine bear tell-tale “more of the same” titles such as Everybody’s Golf 5, Virtual Fighter 5 and Ridge Racer 7.

As a result, industry observers have tipped Nintendo as the likely victor in the console war.

Its new machine, the Wii, features a revolutionary motion-sensitive controller. It will cost 25,000 yen in Japan and £179 in Britain.

The new sword-fighting game Bleach, where players swish the controller around the room and their actions are mimicked by armour-clad knights on the screen, may convert newcomers to Wii.

Other titles being tipped by include Bladestorm, based on the 100 Years’ War; Coded Arms Assault, a futuristic shooting game set in Tokyo; Elebits, a bizarre game where players control a swarm of tiny egg-shaped creatures with bolts of electricity as they attempt to tidy the room; and Dead Rising, an unremittingly gory title for the Xbox 360.

jerrt
September 23rd, 2006, 13:25
i was wow-ed

as long as they release information closer to launch, so that consumers can know what they are buying before they have to buy it, i don't care what they did at tgs. i was impressed because it was all about showing people the games and getting people to find out about them first hand. some games where absent, alot where there. i'm happy and impressed. i think everyone is so info starved right now, that they feel they are not getting enough information. i say, go get a hot dog. or a veggie dog if you are vegitarian. [:

ACID
September 23rd, 2006, 14:44
Titles alone wowed me

garfit
September 23rd, 2006, 16:32
good things come to those who wait - ps3

Video_freak
September 23rd, 2006, 18:31
The PSP wowed me with it's beautiful titles/graphics. The announced price also wowed me. :rolleyes:

muffinman
September 23rd, 2006, 18:56
the ps3 wowed me from the games.

a nintendo fanboy wrote this :p

KCBlack
September 23rd, 2006, 19:26
To start off I've always liked nintendo, but I've never been a fanboy. Anyway, they're right. The PS3's controller was pretty intriguing with the curved design at first, but now its just the same old ps2 one only wireless with some rumble shit added in. Think about it. The Wii may not have the best graphics ever, but the controller and the titles - if your into those kinda games like me - are amazing. I'm definitely getting one. The X360 has Xbox live. Need I say more? XD

migsgiz
September 23rd, 2006, 23:07
i was happy with the news,hdmi/price/games
heck i even sold my 360 b/c of the news
now if i cant get the 60gig, ill be happy with the 20gig!
tell then ill play with my cps1&2 on my psp