PDA

View Full Version : First time coder

LilSwish722
September 23rd, 2006, 23:43
ok i downloaded cygwin and everything that im supposed to do...if anyone can give me tips on how to hack the 2.8 it would be greatly appriciated(never been able to spell that word;) )

psiko_scweek
September 24th, 2006, 00:08
ok...1st time coder and you want to hack the 2.8FW? good luck with that one. my only advice would be to research the living hell outta what the Noob team and Dark Alex has found out. thats your best bet.

but honestly i woudlnt even bother, start small make basic homebrew and work your way up.

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 00:13
If you are truely a first time coder, forget the PSP completely. Learn a language and the concepts on the PC (the easiest platform and environment) then develop for other hardware later when you have a much better idea of what is involved.

If you intended to learn C/C++ then look at my article on 'Where to Start C++ Programming'.
http://parabellumgames.no-ip.org/articles/

However, Python is one of the easiest langauges to grasp and allows you to learn the concepts easily. Used with Pygame (SDL bindings) and you can easily make games out of it.

Another alternative is C# (a great OO language) with the ever improving XNA SDK. However this limits you to the PC and Xbox360 for development.

Zion
September 24th, 2006, 00:14
I agree with yaustar

LilSwish722
September 24th, 2006, 00:50
um thx...ok then ill try to crack a 1.0 or a 1.5 whichever u guys think is easier...i cant do pc cuz i dont have the software for it...and right now im an hour and 15 minutes into a cygwin set up...so whichever u guys think is easiest other than the pc

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 01:19
The software that you need for the PC is free.

- Codeblocks
- Visual Studio 2005 C++ Express Edition
- DevCpp

All the above are good IDEs and come with a compiler for C/C++ for the PC. They are all free.

Same with all the software that I mentioned in the previous post. It is all free.

LilSwish722
September 24th, 2006, 01:37
ok well...ill try that...but if i was to code a psp which fw should i start with

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 01:41
If you are going to code for the PSP, then you code FOR the PSP. The firmware doesn't matter as much at this stage.

In regards to your eariler request, you are defintiely in NO stage to starting hacking any firmware in the literal sense of the term.

LilSwish722
September 24th, 2006, 02:07
lol wow u seem kind of um...drill sargent like no offense...but im kinda saying i dont really understan...could u please help me

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 02:11
As long as the PSP can run homebrew, it doesn't matter what version firmware the PSP is. You are coding for the PSP platform and NOT the PSP firmware.

You will need to clarify what you mean by 'hack the X.XX firmware' as well.

LilSwish722
September 24th, 2006, 02:21
ok i have the 2.8 firware so im trying to make a homebrew or that, i just need help and it says uur a coder so im asking for help on that
also, do u have aim or msn messenger becuase it will be easier to talk on there

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 02:25
If you have 2.8 then you are going to tons of trouble with the TIFF SDK when you don't know how to code.

You still haven't stated properly what you aim is. IF you want to learn how to program, do it on the PC. I will be on the IRC channel for DCEmu for the the next 10 mins. After that, I am off to bed.

LilSwish722
September 24th, 2006, 02:28
well my aim for psp coding is i wanna help out the homebrew scene lol..i hate sony just as much as the rest of the people that are coders. plus ive played enough homebrews so i think its time i learned to help and i dont know where the irc channel is

Anger
September 24th, 2006, 02:29
sorry for off topic but on the subject of cygwin its a pain getting it to work, i wish it could be done through vs 6.

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 02:30
In which case my original reply STILL STANDS:

If you are truely a first time coder, forget the PSP completely. Learn a language and the concepts on the PC (the easiest platform and environment) then develop for other hardware later when you have a much better idea of what is involved.

If you intended to learn C/C++ then look at my article on 'Where to Start C++ Programming'.
http://parabellumgames.no-ip.org/articles/

However, Python is one of the easiest langauges to grasp and allows you to learn the concepts easily. Used with Pygame (SDL bindings) and you can easily make games out of it.

Another alternative is C# (a great OO language) with the ever improving XNA SDK. However this limits you to the PC and Xbox360 for development.

In a nutshell, learn to program ON THE PC. Worry about the PSP later.

sorry for off topic but on the subject of cygwin its a pain getting it to work, i wish it could be done through vs 6.

Can't you create a makefile project in VS 6?

LilSwish722
September 24th, 2006, 02:34
ok ok wow u sound kind of irritated or something. im just trying to get some actual help but ur saying start with the pc coding, so i will take ur advice

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 02:40
Marginally, since I stayed up to answer your queries only to come back a full circle to my FIRST reply.

LilSwish722
September 24th, 2006, 02:51
ok well im sorry about that since i only half understand all of this, so casn u please guide me ,whenever u have time, on C++ programming for the PC. I went to that link u gave me and it kind of confused me and didn't really give me anything to work with. It didn't tell me where to get started. So if you or anyone else can help me it would be greatly appreciated. And if you don't want to stay on here then you can email me instructions or websites anytime at [email protected]

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 03:00
Well considering the link I did give has an article with 31 links to information, I am not sure what more you need. Section 1.2 has four links alone to provide direction. Can you be more specific?

LilSwish722
September 24th, 2006, 03:14
Ok I'm sorry for keeping you from going to bed, you can go to bed if you want. But what I was saying was I need something that goes step by step like the PSP Programming on PSP-Programming.com, which is what I was using. But I will check those sites you gave me. Thanks for the help.

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 12:23
Step 1: Download DevCpp from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dev-cpp/devcpp-4.9.9.2_setup.exe
Step 2: Read tutorials
Step 3: Learn.