PDA

View Full Version : .dat files

benh
September 24th, 2006, 02:32
hi all

Can you give me a link to a program that opens .dat files because i need to open 1 from a firmware dump for a hack but i dont know how to open them, i have tryed notepad etc.

any suggestions

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 02:51
Depends on the format of the .dat file. Try a hex editor such as xvi32.

benh
September 24th, 2006, 03:02
nope a hex editor didnt work any other ideas

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 12:21
It probably be a proprietary format so you have to make you own tool to 'read' it.

benh
September 24th, 2006, 13:09
how would i make my own tool

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 20:45
By coding it.

benh
September 24th, 2006, 21:12
But i wouldnt know how to make a program to open a file that i dont know has what kind of coding is in it

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 21:17
But i wouldnt know how to make a program to open a file that i dont know has what kind of coding is in it

Then this question below is pretty much moot unless you use this as excuse to start learning.

how would i make my own tool

In short you are hacking a file format so you can edit it from a more 'readable' front end. You need to understand the way that the data is laid out by experimenting before you can write a proper tool to edit the file.

benh
September 24th, 2006, 21:24
can u help me?

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 21:37
No, for two reasons:
1. I don't have time
2. It really doesn't sound like you know what you are doing and by the nature of your previous questions, it looks like I will end up developing the tool rather then you.

benh
September 24th, 2006, 21:40
oh ok i want to open the .ireg file more than the .dat file, but i mean there must be some way of opening them becasue sony have made them

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 21:42
Of course there is, what it DOESN'T mean is that the general public has access to that method hence you are reverse enginnering the format.

benh
September 24th, 2006, 21:50
r u sure theres no program to do it, because it opens in the hex editor and some of it is text but only bits the rest are symbols or maily there are a load of Y s with 2 dots above them

yaustar
September 24th, 2006, 21:54
Well unless you have access to the tools and source that Sony use to create/edit/read that file, you are either going to have to code your own or wait for someone else to do it for you.

If you are prepared to start hacking the format yourself at risk of screwing your PSP over, change a couple of values in a hex editor, record what happens when you try and use it on the PSP and work a theory/reason on why it happens and test the theory.

benh
September 24th, 2006, 21:59
ok thanks for your advice

Zion
September 25th, 2006, 00:24
By coding it.

:rolleyes: