PDA

View Full Version : WiiMednafen 0.0

wraggster
October 23rd, 2011, 13:15
WiiMednafen 0.0 released by raz0red

WiiMednafen is a partial port of the Mednafen [1] emulator.

Emulators supported:

GameBoy/GameBoy Color
GameBoy Advance
Game Gear
Lynx
Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Neo Geo Pocket
PC Engine (CD)/TurboGrafx 16 (CD)/SuperGrafx (Fast version)
PC-FX
Sega Master System
Virtual Boy
WonderSwan
It should be noted that the Virtual Boy emulation included with this emulator is much improved over WiirtualBoy. Most games now run at 100% speed without frame skipping. These improvements are due entirely to Ryphecha (Mednafen) who optimized the core emulation code in addition to eliminating idle loops on a per game basis.

Why port Mednafen?
So, a common question might be, "Why release a Mednafen port when a number of the included emulators already exist for the Wii?". After releasing the port of the Mednafen Virtual Boy emulator (WiirtualBoy), my intent was to release a port of the WonderSwan emulator. However, along the way, I decided that rather than replicate a lot of code between projects, I would release a port of Mednafen itself. Also, the possibility does exist for some issues to be resolved with the Mednafen code base. For example, the Lynx port does resolve some of the graphical glitches that exist in WiiHandy (RoadBlasters, Cyberball 2072).

Known Issues
This is a very early release of this port, and as such there are a number of known issues. Further, this emulator hasn't had a tremendous amount of testing so I am fairly certain there are a number of unknown issues as well. Please let me know if you experience any via the Google Code project.

Only standard controllers are supported in this release (no support for NES Zapper, etc.).
Save states do not display an associated screenshot.
PC-FX emulation is extremely slow.
Loading CD images via SMB (Network) will cause noticeable slowdown.
Cheats can't be created/edited within the WiiMednafen interface. (They must be created manually or preferably via Mednafen itself).
Individual cheats can't be enabled/disabled. Currently, all cheats are either enabled or disabled globally (via "Advanced" settings).
If you have a hard drive that falls asleep, it is highly recommended that you install the application and its support files on an SD card. This ensures that configuration changes and save states will persist properly, even if the drive goes to sleep.
Many emulator options are not currently exposed, they will be added with subsequent releases.
Several features like rewind, etc. are not currently supported, they will be added with subsequent releases.
The front-end is functional but minimal. This is something that may be addressed once I am satisfied with the overall state of the port.

http://code.google.com/p/wii-mednafen/

Download Via Comments