PDA

View Full Version : PS3's Lack of Rumble May Disappoint

wraggster
September 26th, 2006, 21:31
Immersion Corporation, who you may recall from their rumble-controller suit against Sony, has released a study. Engadget reports that (somewhat unsurprisingly), it indicates gamers will miss the rumble feature in PS3. The 'SIXAXIS' gamepads planned for the PS3 will only have the 'tilt' feature, as far as is known so far. From the article:
"Not only does the (completely unbiased) poll report that 72% of the 1,075 respondents agree vibration feedback enhances their game experience, it goes on to note that 59% of those surveyed would prefer rumble on the PS3 controller, while only 8% care about motion / tilt sensing (sorry, Nintendo). As if these numbers didn't paint a clear enough picture of the message Immersion is trying to convey, two further questions spell it out even more explicitly: when asked if the lack of rumble capabilities would affect their buying decisions ... 5% said that it would definitely cause them not to buy a PS3 and 32% claimed that they were less likely to pick one up for this reason and this reason alone. "

Adrenalin
September 27th, 2006, 11:57
this made me laugh
"unbiased"

8% for motion sensing? that isn't so bad, if this survey was only using gamers (as it seems likely) as opposed to non-gamers (which nintendo also wants to appeal to), then the figure is likely to be lower (than in my suggetsed case) (based on my uncredulous(is that even a word?) assumptions)

well, surveys can be interesting

quzar
September 27th, 2006, 12:07
source?

irongiant
September 27th, 2006, 12:16
Personally i can't stand the rumble/vibration and always turn it off.

Darksaviour69
September 27th, 2006, 12:24
source?
http://immr.client.shareholder.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=212029

briyan
September 27th, 2006, 14:04
seriously..the vibration function is negligible
Synonyms: big zero, casual, dinky, entry level, exiguous, immaterial, inadequate, inappreciable, inconsequent, inconsiderable, insignificant, insufficient, light, little, measly, minor, negligible, no biggie, paltry, petty, picayune, puny, runt, scanty, shoestring, shrimp, skimpy, small, small potatoes, small-time, trifling, trivial, two bit, unconsidered, unimportant, wimpy, worthless:(

muffinman
September 27th, 2006, 23:31
i dont think ill mind to much after a while. It surely wouldnt make me look at the ps3 with a wad of cash in my hand and say "wait the controls have no rumble. I'm not buying this"

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 23:32
No rumble isn't that bad, but is still an inconvenience compared to Nintendo's Wiimote...

pkmusicmaker
September 29th, 2006, 08:21
Shouldn't we be able to plug a ps2 controller in if we want rumble? I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Malksta
September 29th, 2006, 12:42
Rumble sucks

Kramer
September 29th, 2006, 13:34
Rumble was cool when it first came out on n64 but nowadays I dont even notice it on my PS2 so if I was getting a PS3 I wouldnt miss it.

quzar
September 29th, 2006, 15:41
the ps2's dual shock rumble was quite lacking. IMO the Dreamcast and Gamecube have both made much more functional use of the rumble (anyone who has ever played Rez with rumble or played a heated game of timed SSB:M and felt the rumble right before the screen showing the winner comes up knows that ;) )