PDA

View Full Version : GTA blamed in court case...again

wraggster
September 26th, 2006, 21:37
Via Gamestop (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6158619.html)

Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto franchise is once again the target of lawyers in a high-profile murder case. Attorneys in the trial of convicted killer Cody Posey have named Sony Computer Entertainment America, Take-Two Interactive, and Rockstar as responsible for a triple homicide that took place in New Mexico in 2004, according to news outlets in the state.

The court found Posey, then 14 years old, guilty of murdering his stepfather, stepmother, and stepsister with a gun. Posey allegedly snapped after years of physical and mental abuse at the hands of his stepfather. A judge convicted him of first-degree murder in February.

Lawyers today said Posey would not have committed the murders if he hadn't played the "murder-simulation device" Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Circling the courthouse is Miami attorney and antigame crusader Jack Thompson, who has descended upon New Mexico and is aiding the lawyers in the suit.

splodger15
September 26th, 2006, 21:41
why blame gta all the time they blame it

Emeriastone
September 26th, 2006, 21:41
But somehow they overlook the larger fact of incrimination--

Posey allegedly snapped after years of physical and mental abuse at the hands of his stepfather. A judge convicted him of first-degree murder in February.

Meh. People will find something else to point their fingers at until the end oftime.

Rocksil
September 26th, 2006, 21:43
well dat suks 4 rockstar

Jpdeathblade
September 26th, 2006, 21:43
Seriously who is that stupid. "O I can run over old ladys in this sweet 3d game, I can do it in real life"

To be honest if yout that stupid you desurve to die. Just like drunk driving or driving witout a seatbelt, you crash and die you desurved it for being retarded =P

ExcruciationX
September 26th, 2006, 21:45
Seriously who is that stupid. "O I can run over old ladys in this sweet 3d game, I can do it in real life"

To be honest if yout that stupid you desurve to die. Just like drunk driving or driving witout a seatbelt, you crash and die you desurved it for being retarded =P
Amen.

F9zDark
September 26th, 2006, 21:46
If anything games might have saved his life...

His lawyers are ****ing retards. It clearly says that his stepfather physically and mentally abused him. The lawyer is only doing this because he wants to get a huge fat check for suing Sony, Rockstar and Take Two.

JKKDARK
September 26th, 2006, 21:47
omg, gta is a great game. Only there are stupid people.

gymnotropic
September 26th, 2006, 21:50
If the person was not mentally fit to play the game, then he shouldn't of been allowed to.

He doesn't sound like he was very mature. The game has a M(mature) rating, so yeah.

If he was not of sound mind, then he might not of done it if he didn't play the game-- it is his own fault in the end, though.

NoQuarter
September 26th, 2006, 21:50
Wtf?
Yeah, blame the game not the abuse the kid recieved.
I wonder if his parents bought him the M rated game anyway.
Nobody seems to blame the violent television programs anymore,not that they cause this kind of behavior anyway.They were just the scapegoat for the longest time.
Anybody know what part of New Mexico,I used to live there?
Blaming a game for violence in an already unstable home is just silly

hksrb25s14
September 26th, 2006, 22:01
They should blame the family they had it coming treating the child like crap, and then finding something to blame, I bet you they planted the PS2 and a copy of GTA in his room.

Nookadum
September 26th, 2006, 22:07
If the boy was being abused by the parents, then they deserve getting slaughtered like that. :mad:

People need to ****ing learn how to treat their kids right.

Stoner4Life
September 26th, 2006, 22:13
It seems to be a very popular scapegoat but people need something to blame these random acts of violence on even if there were many other reasons for this.If they ever stopped the selling of violent videogames they might as get rid of all gaming systems, movies , books, and the internet itself and live in a boring uneventful society.

-=me=-
September 26th, 2006, 22:14
wow..........

Jpdeathblade
September 26th, 2006, 22:26
RANT:

Hell all video games are violent just on a different scale. When I play video games I dont want to go out and do what I see. I cant even remember the last time I want into public, jumped on someones head, and stole the coin the poped out of them to save my princess.

If someone plays doom or gta and they go an follow the acts they must be messed up in the head. And even without video games people will die all the time because of guns, etc.

Hell, I remember colombin (SP?) and how Eric Harris took the lives of his classmates. I also have played the doom games that he made. And on many sites they say the game didnt even full his anger. And doom still sells, again think about this 2 kids out of millions go on a rampage, and just because doom is on his computer its dooms fault.

Ok Im done ranting....back to ps1p

gamesquest1
September 26th, 2006, 22:28
errrrrr 1 second soooooo millions of games where sold and yet by some coincidence only the one in the hands of a abused child leads to complete break down of his high standards of life du to being subjected to such awful gameplay...........also the lawer was saying that the game does nothing to show the consequeses of such actions..............erm does getting killed by the police not seem like consequeces....they just money hungry twats

samthegreat68
September 26th, 2006, 22:37
errrrrr 1 second soooooo millions of games where sold and yet by some coincidence only the one in the hands of a abused child leads to complete break down of his high standards of life du to being subjected to such awful gameplay...........also the lawer was saying that the game does nothing to show the consequeses of such actions..............erm does getting killed by the police not seem like consequeces....they just money hungry twats
yeah those twats!

but maybe the kid knew the cop-off cheat..

Dbgtgoten
September 26th, 2006, 22:39
First of all sony and take two and rockstar have to do is point out wtf they bought a M game for thier child (he was 14 at the time) , point out he was being abused(mentally and physically by his own parent), and if they claim he got it from somewhere or someone why if they were abusing him all the time didn't they watch(no parental supervision) what he was doing its stupid and the people who sue those companys need to be shot for stupidity.

Thats all i have to say stupid people and blaming shit everyone knows it just a damn game and no ones gonna do those acts i mean the game even says "do not reenact these acts in real life blah blah blah"

At least thats what i think

motormaniac
September 26th, 2006, 22:44
This is funny actually, i mean what kind of idiot would kill someone because they Did in a game, even if the Dad did abuse him.

SigmatiC
September 26th, 2006, 22:49
There is a murderer in us all..
I play GTA so I don't have to go and kill people in real life ;>

Mentaly sane people know how to separate Games from reality, insane pepole do not.

Suing them is B.S.

CrAzY_fLiP3
September 26th, 2006, 22:54
lol wow. dude seriously in this world, people getting hurt is ENTERTAINING. honestly lol. take for example someone falls down the stairs. the FIRST THING you will do is laugh. it is practically instinct. then your guilt kicks in. lol. its nothing personal, its just entertainment. anyway what im trying to say is, they shouldnt blame take two and rockstar, they know what pleases the fans. but come on.. blaming GTA for a kid that was beaten by his parents? isnt there any sense left in the world..

CrAzY_fLiP3
September 26th, 2006, 22:55
and what the hell man wtf were the parents doing?! how does a ****ing FOURTEEN year-old get a gun

CrAzY_fLiP3
September 26th, 2006, 22:59
RANT:

Hell all video games are violent just on a different scale. When I play video games I dont want to go out and do what I see. I cant even remember the last time I want into public, jumped on someones head, and stole the coin the poped out of them to save my princess.

LMAO i TOTALLY remember the last time I DID THAT. hahahahahahhaa

neovlace
September 26th, 2006, 23:04
I agree with all of the above comments from mine. I live in Alamogordo, NM, it's about a 45 minute drive from where this crime took place and is also the city in which Posey was found guilty in court. ALL of the lawyers here are dipsnits. All they are looking for is a chunky paycheck and some more negative fame for our little podunk town. It's a shame how most of these lawyers are "sore losers" when their clients are prosecuted and they lose the case. If I ever see Jack Thompson in my way I will be sure to run him over with my car. At least then I can say GTA made me do it. hehe........:P

dmac
September 26th, 2006, 23:14
Games are a way to vent so that we don't have to do these things in real life. If you want to kill something pick up a game. Games are games, life is life, don't mix the two up.

the_eternal_dark
September 26th, 2006, 23:18
I remember the good old days of people blaming games like Doom or Quake and listening to Marilyn Manson made them kill everyone, good excuse...

not really...

The_It
September 26th, 2006, 23:23
uh yeah time to show off this.:D
http://www.zestuff.com/_gfx/products/13_i.jpg

Jpdeathblade
September 26th, 2006, 23:32
LMFAO vgcats =P

stotheamuel
September 26th, 2006, 23:36
Wow incredibly lame what is this 14 times now?

the_eternal_dark
September 26th, 2006, 23:37
Wow incredibly lame what is this 14 times now?

Something like that...

$ony should be going after people that make this claim, as should any other company, since it could ruin their rep.

F9zDark
September 26th, 2006, 23:41
This is funny actually, i mean what kind of idiot would kill someone because they Did in a game, even if the Dad did abuse him.

This is the thinking that is what fuels the anti-game fire. No offense, but if you think his actions are because of the game, then I question your intelligence.

We all, as gamers, know that it is NOT the game that drives anyone to these heinous acts. His father abused him, both physically and mentally. He snapped because he was abused. He killed his stepfamily because he was abused. Got it?

Games had nothing at all to do with what he did. The media and police plant that BS in there to aid the anti-gaming movement. To be totally honest, I gurantee that it was the games that kept him sane. It wouldn't surprise me if he had killed his family at 11 or 10 years old if he hadn't had games to keep him sane.

It is a scientific proven fact, with humans and animals, physical and mental abuse lead to aggression and violent behavior.

Video_freak
September 26th, 2006, 23:49
The court found Posey, then 14 years old, guilty of murdering his stepfather, stepmother, and stepsister with a gun. Posey allegedly snapped after years of physical and mental abuse at the hands of his stepfather.
He wasn't doing it because of GTA, it was years of physical abuse!

Lawyers today said Posey would not have committed the murders if he hadn't played the "murder-simulation device" Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
It isn't a "murder-simulation device", it's a game, which people know isn't real and play because they can't do that in real life.

antigame crusader Jack Thompson
All I have to say to that man is: "Up yours! :mad:"

stotheamuel
September 26th, 2006, 23:50
This is the thinking that is what fuels the anti-game fire. No offense, but if you think his actions are because of the game, then I question your intelligence.

We all, as gamers, know that it is NOT the game that drives anyone to these heinous acts. His father abused him, both physically and mentally. He snapped because he was abused. He killed his stepfamily because he was abused. Got it?

Games had nothing at all to do with what he did. The media and police plant that BS in there to aid the anti-gaming movement. To be totally honest, I gurantee that it was the games that kept him sane. It wouldn't surprise me if he had killed his family at 11 or 10 years old if he hadn't had games to keep him sane.

It is a scientific proven fact, with humans and animals, physical and mental abuse lead to aggression and violent behavior.

Dude he agrees it wasnt because of the games lol re-read his post

shrimpidy
September 26th, 2006, 23:51
Y is GTA taking a lot of the hits for these kind of crimes? Most decsent gamers are nice people and would never consider killing anybody unless they utterly have to. I play it and it didn't influence me in any way except making new friends by relating to them through liberty city stories.

F9zDark
September 27th, 2006, 00:07
Dude he agrees it wasnt because of the games lol re-read his post

He's not agreeing. Re-read his post. His rhetorical question is in direct opposition to the point that the teen's father abused him.

He is basically saying that the kid is an idiot for following the actions in a game and that his father abusing him had nothing to do with his actions because he followed what was in the game.

Not only that the sentence is ripe with grammar that does not agree with itself.

psychadelicious
September 27th, 2006, 00:08

Yea I agree. I drink and drive myself but if i were to get injured I would have no one to blame but myself. Its not like it would be make sense to say I did it cause I saw a beer commercial.

motormaniac
September 27th, 2006, 01:17
He's not agreeing. Re-read his post. His rhetorical question is in direct opposition to the point that the teen's father abused him.

He is basically saying that the kid is an idiot for following the actions in a game and that his father abusing him had nothing to do with his actions because he followed what was in the game.

Not only that the sentence is ripe with grammar that does not agree with itself.

How bout u re-read my post, im saying that no one is that stupid that they would do it in real life becasue they saw it in a game. I was burning the lawyers for thinking it was the game that made him do it. I think the game Had Nothing at all to do w/ the Murder. Thanks stotheamuel for sticking up for me, I appreciate it.

motormaniac
September 27th, 2006, 01:20
Please Dont Drink and drive psychadelicious u'll hurt other people too ya know.

F9zDark
September 27th, 2006, 01:34
How bout u re-read my post, im saying that no one is that stupid that they would do it in real life becasue they saw it in a game. I was burning the lawyers for thinking it was the game that made him do it. I think the game Had Nothing at all to do w/ the Murder. Thanks stotheamuel for sticking up for me, I appreciate it.

Well I am afraid you had poor word choice... The same can be said for anyone committing a stupid act: "what kind of idiot would -----insert stupid act here----" that is always in regards to the person committing the act.

And the supporting clause offered no information which described your intent either(or really supported your true idea; it did, however, support the idea that you did not intend to convey). Given the words presented and how they were presented I took what you said in a context that you did not intend. But had the right words been used, the right message would have been conveyed.

But this is no place to debate semantics.

motormaniac
September 27th, 2006, 01:38
I dont do that well in Englsih or whatever class it is. the only class im good at is HTML and JAVA:D LOL

sroon
September 27th, 2006, 04:23
WOW if fuggen people cant just fuggen admit how fuggen retaded they fuggen are then they can go fugg themselves!
Were gona fuggen lose or most fuggen faverat fuggen games cuz fuggen people keep fuggen blameing our most precious fuggen video games!
MAAN! I HATE FUGGEN PEOPLE! I WORK MY FUGGEN AZZ OF EVERY FUGGEN DAY AT WORK TO PAY FER THEZE FUGGEN GAMES, AND TO FUGGEN JUST RELAX WITH MY MOTHAFUGGEN GIRL AND PLAY GAMES WITH HER!!! AND THERE GONA FUGGEN SOON MAKE GTA FUGGEN ILIGAL!!!! IS IT THAT PEOPLE ARE FUGGIN USING A VIOLENT FUGGEN GAYM TO BLAME THERE FUGGEN STUPEDITY ON OR IZ IT JUST FUGGEN ME???????

now that iv licked all the spit off of my lips and hopeing I dont get banned for saying all thiz I just need for people to understand that our favourate games are at stake(stake good) because of all the people that are shooting up universitys and and stores cuz they "played it on GTA" All i can say to theze jackazzes are "GROW UP"

( O ) ( O )

ArugulaZ
September 27th, 2006, 04:42
I like how they described Thompson as "circling the courthouse." You know, like a vulture.

JR

Vangar
September 27th, 2006, 04:57
GTA can't be blamed after years of getting abuse, but GTA still is a shit game that promotes it.

pibs
September 27th, 2006, 06:27
Ive been playing GTA since its first release for PS and you don't see me on the news for killing the yakuza gang or dressing like tony montana and shootin peeps.

those people are just mentally ill!

mr_nick666
September 27th, 2006, 09:32
Meh. People will find something else to point their fingers at until the end oftime.

/\ /\ Indeed so... :mad: Guns dont kill people.. Rappers do! :o Ive been playing Mario for years and it doesnt fill me with the urges to stomp on goombas and rescue princesses :rolleyes:

vladiftodi
September 27th, 2006, 10:09
i dont care, GTA rocks, its not true, ive been playing gta since little, since the first release iwas maybe 8 then, and i hvent killed any person, neer thugh of that also, still i have a lot of problems like anybody, so its bullshit :P
still GTA rocks,

Milleniumas
September 27th, 2006, 13:45
Hey now we could blame the films and music too ! There are tons of violance in the films and lots of nasty words in the music. So lets buy some Guns out of the shop or streets and shoot every human. Then we can say that if it was not film like "Terminator" or "Matrix" or Album Slipknot then I wouldn't have killed him. It is the way we can earn money nowadays :) Blame everyone except yourself!

gamemaster14
September 27th, 2006, 20:44
I dont see why they always blame gta for murders. I like Postal 2 for PC its alot more Murdery.

Broadus
September 28th, 2006, 03:35
Man, it never ends. I wonder if people realize Grand Theft Auto wasn't the first video game wherein humans killed other humans.

F9zDark
September 29th, 2006, 05:39
Its the center of attention because its central character is always involved in some illegal activity. Games like Duke3d and Doom, where the player killed aliens and demons respectively, had its damnations from the church, but not from government entities, as far as I know.

You never hear about games like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor being said in court cases because the player assumes the role as a hero. Now if there was a game where the player was a soldier part of the Nazi SS and committing acts of genocide was part of the game design, then I gurantee that game would serve as the scapegoat.

Oraichu
September 30th, 2006, 23:08
If a game is able to drive you to murder, then obviously you ARE mentally unstable.

JKKDARK
September 30th, 2006, 23:58
Agh.. i can't believe it :mad: