PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Microsoft to Cut Premium Bundle in Anticipation for HD DVD Player

wraggster
September 26th, 2006, 21:44
Digitimes, the premier news source in usual bullshit rumors, has a new one today that actually seems a legitimate, kind of. They are reporting that there will be a $100 price cut on the Xbox 360 Premium bundle, bringing the price down to $300 so that they can later bundle the HD DVD player with the Xbox 360 for $400 and still have a solid competitive price on the PS3.

Microsoft, to prepare for the price cut, has negotiated reduced production costs for the Xbox 360 with Taiwan-based manufacturing partners, stated the sources. The manufacturers estimate that the total production cost can be reduced by 15-20% due to diminishing costs for most components along with increasing production scales and decreasing defect rates, the sources pointed out.

Adrenalin
September 27th, 2006, 11:59
i think a 100$ price drop (bringing it to 50$ away from wii, which would be incredible) is very unlikely.

a smaller price drop say max 50$ seems plausable.

BrooksyX
September 27th, 2006, 14:42
if they dropped the premium pack to $300 I would probably get a 360. Honestly I could care less about high def movies right now, so I dont need a hd-dvd player.

Uruz 6
September 27th, 2006, 15:06
if they dropped the premium pack to $300 I would probably get a 360. Honestly I could care less about high def movies right now, so I dont need a hd-dvd player.

Same here.

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 16:07
Can't I just buy the Premium pack for $300 without the HD-DVD reader? I don't have an HD TV... :(