PDA

View Full Version : DS' State Of Domination

wraggster
September 27th, 2006, 00:27
Via Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11009)

As we've recently remarked here on Gamasutra, Nintendo's DS continues to dominate both hardware and software sales in Japan. But we looked to Ricciardi and Minamoto for some more explanation - is it that the DS is penetrating new retail stores, or is it just that existing stores are selling massive amounts of DS games? Riccardi comments of the games: "I think they're just being sold more in places they were already sold... Most people will buy their games at [large Japanese electronics retail stores] Bic Camera or Yodobashi Camera - you will get discounts [with a special loyalty card]."

But overall, Ricciardi noted that the DS has "...broken [games] into a much more mainstream thing than it used to be." For example, Minamoto's father recently bought a DS without any prompting from her. Ricciardi continues of the DS' near-total domination of the game charts: "I don't see it slowing down soon... [even though] you can't predict anything here.. it's penetrated so much." Minamoto adds: "So many people just bought the DS - they're not going to throw it out after 6 months.."

So why is DS especially popular in Japan - and may not ever reach that level in the West? Apart from the content being right, Ricciardi notes: "The culture here is more suitable to have a handheld game in the first place", with plenty of train journeys and other opportunities to play brief game sessions. Minamoto adds: "The Keitai [cellphone] industry opened up the possibility of playing games in such a way - that's why DS had an easier path."

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 00:38
Ricciardi notes: "The culture here is more suitable to have a handheld game in the first place", with plenty of train journeys and other opportunities to play brief game sessions.
That may be it... I think it's mostly the games, personally.

kcajblue
September 27th, 2006, 01:24
the DS does dominate! :D

firstknight
September 27th, 2006, 02:10
Dominate Sucker (DS) hahah

pubjoe
September 27th, 2006, 02:50
My Mum asked for a DS for her 60th!!!

She's never been slightly interested in games before, but I said "it's alright, just hold it like a pen and paper"... She was hooked!

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 02:53
Wow, your mother is cool! /\ :eek:
Hehe, misread. :o

kcajblue
September 27th, 2006, 03:48
he is talking about his mother and not his grandmother.;)

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 15:45
NDS will always dominate regular game releases. Because sony only makes like 3 good releases a year. Yet the PSP will always dominate homebrew

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 16:04
Hey Acidburn, I just got a crazy idea. Maybe Sony and Nintendo should get together. Spny should do hardware, and Nintendo software! :)

Junixx
September 27th, 2006, 16:31
I think competition keeps the prices down ;)

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 16:45
Well nintendo keeps prices down sony will always try to goutch people

the_eternal_dark
September 28th, 2006, 02:58
Sintendo just doesn't work all that well as a name, plus I couldn't imagine buying ds games on umd's (umd's suck so bad).

Think of the ads though 'Sintendo, so good, it's bad' or 'Beats the hell out of working', which the second should be used for both anyway.