PDA

View Full Version : PSP Double Expand Memory Convertor

wraggster
September 27th, 2006, 06:46
A very interesting new accessory from SuccessHK (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_PSP_Double_Expand_Memory_Convertor.html?a ff_id=24)

http://www.success-hk.com/item_photo/item/PSP-0450-L.jpg

Product Features of SONY PSP PSP Double Expand Memory Convertor

This product is special manufacture and mainly use with PSP console.
Support any kinds of SD/MINI SD/MMC memory stick.
Double extend your PSP console memory capacity.
Compatible with 2-pieces of SD/MINI SD/MMC/Memory stick and convert use in PSP.
Easy set up and use.

http://www.success-hk.com/item_photo/item/PSP-0450-X3.jpg

More Description of SONY PSP PSP Double Expand Memory Convertor

PSP Memory Expansion Adapter lets your SD/mini SD and MMC card connect to PSP and you can use them for save-data such as photos

THe Memory Converter retails for USD 16.77 and can be brought from SuccessHK (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_PSP_Double_Expand_Memory_Convertor.html?a ff_id=24).

Very Nice Indeed

pibs
September 27th, 2006, 06:48
hells yea! this is cooltastic now to get some cheap sd cards from the swapmeet for like five bucks :D

i was gona actually make the other one where u break apart the ms connecter and do all that nonsense but this is a great alternative

Kaiser
September 27th, 2006, 06:51
Pretty cool. Its too bad about the weird cord. However I guess the price makes up for it.

Veskgar
September 27th, 2006, 06:57
This is really good stuff with potential. The PSP definitely needs more storage capacity than 4GB. I just wonder about the speed. It uses that strange cord and I would think it would not be as fast as an Ultra II PRO Duo. Also, what about 1.50 PSP's with a 4GB limit? How does this combat that? Or does it?

I don't think I'd like the feel of that bulky add-on on the back but this is still neat.

whitey75
September 27th, 2006, 06:57
Excellent Idea! Looks pretty bulky though. Might get in the way a bit!

Gene
September 27th, 2006, 06:59
looks nifty but i dont think i'll be needing it.

happy_mak
September 27th, 2006, 07:25
It is cool, certainly with that price making it more appealing, but i hate to make my PSP any heavier than it already is. Better wait for bigger and cheaper mem sticks. well thats too much for the asking though.

LAMPRO
September 27th, 2006, 07:58
my boy had the datel and the battery snaps had popped off, so it was sorta dangling when you held the psp up.. from the diag it looks like it could be the same kinda cord.. flimsy but functional.. not for me- couldnt stand it.

this is good for some one who has a 2gb mspd and wants to sd 1gb piggyback for more ish. wutevs.

mr_nick666
September 27th, 2006, 09:21
my boy had the datel and the battery snaps had popped off, so it was sorta dangling when you held the psp up.. from the diag it looks like it could be the same kinda cord.. flimsy but functional.. not for me- couldnt stand it.

this is good for some one who has a 2gb mspd and wants to sd 1gb piggyback for more ish. wutevs.

/\ Nice idea but I agree with you... :rolleyes: I want my PSP looking its best - ie: not with bits of wire hanging out of it! :o

vladiftodi
September 27th, 2006, 10:04
cool , but if put 2 of 4GB SD will it be compatible with 2.71?

shrimpidy
September 27th, 2006, 10:44
In Canada, there's a place that sells 1 gigs for 20$. I am definately going to consider this.

Strangler
September 27th, 2006, 11:09
Im thinking of getting that but does anyone knows how the psp reads those sd memory cards and such when you buy an addon such as this for it? I mean doesnt the psp homebrew read straight form the memory stick pro duo? Meaning can you load homebrew from both this and pro duos at the same time without having to swap and form your psp?

MikeDX
September 27th, 2006, 11:27
i'm going to get one of these, plus a 4gb sd card. Makes for a cheap 4gb mspro ;)

aleborri
September 27th, 2006, 11:50
just too ugly and bulky, the idea is good though.

bails
September 27th, 2006, 12:07
I'd also like to know if you put 2 4gb SD cards would it have the effect of having 8GB of storage on the PSP. thought 4gb was current maximum.

nigelrigel
September 27th, 2006, 12:41
HOLY MOLY, Sd CARDs, 80$ for like 4 GB OMG OMG OMG

kando
September 27th, 2006, 13:22
s o l d.

mavsman4457
September 27th, 2006, 13:47
Going to buy this. It will sell out quickly.

Sektor
September 27th, 2006, 14:41
If you are going to make your PSP bulkier, you might aswell get the 8in1 PSP pad. I'd rather just buy a 4GB duo though, they are getting cheaper but it's hard to find a cheap one that isn't a fake and I'm not sure I can trust the fakes.

Strangler
September 27th, 2006, 15:17
it says that its only for like pictures and stuff, how do u guys know it will work with homebrew as isnt homebrew specifically designed to be put inc ertain folders like m:/psp/game or something. wouldnt this be a completly seperate drive and folder?

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 15:26
HOLY MOLY, Sd CARDs, 80$ for like 4 GB OMG OMG OMG
4gb pro duo cards are 100 usd so thats not that cheap.
This thing looks ugly:eek:
Why not just keep your extra cards in a pouch or something. Its not like all the memory cards can be used at the same time.

bandit
September 27th, 2006, 15:41
This is similar to the Datel Media Dock that I reviewed. I'll see if I can get this and do a comparison.

Nookadum
September 27th, 2006, 15:48
This might be very good. But I'll wait for any 3rd party reviews to see if homebrew works well with this adapter.

Seriously, who cares about looks when you'll have more space and cheaper memory for use with homebrew! :D

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 15:55
This is nice! Too bad it's big though... :o
Oh, and for those who think SD is expensive, I know where to find a high speed (150x) 4GB SD card for $50 SHIPPED from a reliable store (not eBay). :D

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 15:56
Then just let them know video.

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 15:59
Fine:
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They took off the rebate. :( It's $69.99 now. I knew I should have gotten it yesturday, then again, I didn't know this thing existed. :(
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4962201

mnuhaily22
September 27th, 2006, 16:31
cool, but huge, but cool, good price, but still huge ;)

masterpsp2.6
September 27th, 2006, 16:46
looks to bulky and stupid!! i jus got a little psp carry case holds everything including 3 1gig mem stick and 2 2gig sticks

bandit
September 27th, 2006, 17:44
Fine:
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They took off the rebate. :( It's $69.99 now. I knew I should have gotten it yesturday, then again, I didn't know this thing existed. :(
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4962201
Thanks. If I can get my hands on the converter, I'll have to get a 4GB SD since its cheaper than a MSDuo

Regarding people saying this is huge..from the looks of it, its not huge. If you want to talk about huge, take a look at the Datel Media Dock/4GB HD. Thats huge.

JD/
September 27th, 2006, 18:16
I would get it but It seemas to bulky plus i know that extension ms pro duo cord would get in the way of me and playing homebrew so I dont think ill get it its a good concept though.

brainpan
September 27th, 2006, 18:23
If anyone cares, I have been finding 4gb pro duo on ebay for less than 100$ the past couple of days. I actually purchased a 4gig for 70$ inlcuding shipping.
Maybe I just gotl luck but the same seller seems to have ample supply. Located in the US too.

grit
September 27th, 2006, 18:39
What I would like to get my hands on is exactly that kind of adapter but with usb on the other end. So one can connect a usb hard drive to ms slot.

Anyone knows something like this?
Or any other workaround to achive this goal? ;)

TIA

brainpan
September 27th, 2006, 19:27
I read an article over at HACKADAY about some guy working on that but I dont think it would do you any good unless your firmware was 2.81 or above.

M!ckeY
September 27th, 2006, 19:39
@brainpan

you got a pretty cheap memory stick, but is it a fake?

grit
September 27th, 2006, 19:39
I read an article over at HACKADAY about some guy working on that but I dont think it would do you any good unless your firmware was 2.81 or above.
Thank you for pointing that out!
Yes I'm ware that only =>2.81 supports bigger than 4GB ms..

kando
September 27th, 2006, 19:55
no, 2.80+.

brainpan
September 27th, 2006, 20:03
motoko250 says...you got a pretty cheap memory stick, but is it a fake?

I certainly hope not but I guess I will know in a few days.:p
The seller has 100% positive feedback and emailed right away after bidding ended. It was a sandisk card from what I can tell and from my experience it is usually Sony cards that are counterfeited.

S34MU5
September 27th, 2006, 20:07
that is cooooool
but a bit massive
but cheap

bandit
September 27th, 2006, 20:55
If anyone cares, I have been finding 4gb pro duo on ebay for less than 100$ the past couple of days. I actually purchased a 4gig for 70$ inlcuding shipping.
Maybe I just gotl luck but the same seller seems to have ample supply. Located in the US too.
Although the seller is located in the US, he could have gotten his supply in HK or China. Regardless, never buy memory cards on eBay if you're looking for legit cards. If you dont care, go ahead.

mavsman4457
September 27th, 2006, 23:26
I guess I was just lucky but I have bought two memory sticks on ebay and so far they have been good.

Edit: OK I just ordered mine and I'm in for one. I will report back to you guys how annoying this thing is to play with on the back, how fast the load speeds are, and if there are any positives, negatives, or just differences in general. $25 incuding shipping isn't bad compared to the $80 that the other one is from liksang.

Edit2: Just looked on wikipedia and found out that the largest sd card out right now is 8gb and the largest sd card potential is 128gb!!! That would be ridiculous if it is true.

MikeDX
September 28th, 2006, 19:47
Ordered two today, $24. something each. They wanted over $60 for two as a pack! stuff that, i'll take two singles for $24 :)

GSA1508
September 29th, 2006, 07:09
For those who are wondering "how it feels like" to use this expansion, I can compare it with the 4GB HDD from the same company.

I purchased in Hong Kong the 4G HDD and it works very well; but as some people already mentioned in the thread, is a little bulky; and this aditional weight and space only in one side of the PSP feel "unbalanced" and with time becomes anoying.
In the case of the HDD is "compensated" by using the aditonal 2X Batery which is also 2 times the size of the original one; adding of course more wieght & space (the whole unit assembled cannot fit INTO ANY comercial CASE, please be aware of that!!!).

YES the price is excellent (cheaper than the HDD & battery pack and definitelly much than the MS from Sony); and there is a miriad of vendors and sizes to choose from.

SO, If you do not mind the weird feeling in one hand; this product is for you!.

Strangler
September 29th, 2006, 11:05

I heard its very dangerous getting pr duos off ebay as many of them are fake, can you confirm the seller sells good ones and give s a link to his store?

twisterko2000
September 30th, 2006, 22:23
Thats cool and all but if you look around online you can find a good cheap 4gb duo. It looks really big plus to fit in your pocket I dont think so. I found this online it could be help to some people... Its a Sandisk 4gb duo on sale with a rebate
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4989941?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Oraichu
September 30th, 2006, 23:03
The idea with PSP is to make it smallest possible and being mobile/portable.

Got a 4gb Memory Stick DUO already, and buying this big box for more space? No thanks.

DaxDce
December 31st, 2006, 09:45
...is there anyone who knows how to exceed the 4gb limit of the 1.50 firmware?

i can connect a compact flash to my psp, and i have an 8gb CF but psp doesn't recognise it.

PS
i've tried to install "3.02 OE-A by Dark_AleX" but even under 3.02 firmare my 8gb CF is not recognized... there's a way to solve this?

mavsman4457
December 31st, 2006, 23:00
This memory adapter does not read anything larger than 2gb. I believe it says that in the manuel. If you want to use that 8gb CF card you are going to have to get the Neo 4-in-1 memory adapter.

DaxDce
January 1st, 2007, 00:15
This memory adapter does not read anything larger than 2gb. I believe it says that in the manuel. If you want to use that 8gb CF card you are going to have to get the Neo 4-in-1 memory adapter.

i don't think it's an adapter problems. It's a limit of the firmware, 1.50 can't accept more than 4gb (if i inizialize the 8gb cf from the psp the size it's limited to 4)

mavsman4457
January 1st, 2007, 21:43
No, I'm positive. I remember checking the manual and thinking how crappy it is that it doesn't read anything larger than 2gb. Maybe they were referring to the fact that anything larger than 2gb's together would exceed the PSP's limit thus making it not functinal but I'm pretty sure the adapter can't read anything larger than 2gb.

bandit
January 2nd, 2007, 02:24
i don't think it's an adapter problems. It's a limit of the firmware, 1.50 can't accept more than 4gb (if i inizialize the 8gb cf from the psp the size it's limited to 4)
Its not the firmware. I was using a 4GB pro duo on my 1.50. I had a Neo Max 8 in 1 with a 4GB CF card and it read fine. Its the adapter.

mavsman4457
January 2nd, 2007, 02:40
Its not the firmware. I was using a 4GB pro duo on my 1.50. I had a Neo Max 8 in 1 with a 4GB CF card and it read fine. Its the adapter.

I never realized that the Neo adapter could only recognize one card at a time until today when I researched it more closely. I thought it was so much better than the double memory expander for a while until I saw the info today. I bought the double memory expander expecting it to read memory sticks and SD cards but I was then surprised to see that it does not read memory sticks and it has a 2gb limit for each card. The perfect adapter would be one that can access as many cards as are plugged in, have infinite memory in each slot, and could read any type of card: CF, MS, SD, MicroSD, MiniSD, Micro Hard Drive, and even has a USB port for external hard drives. That would be the ultimate adapter.