PDA

View Full Version : Several PSP Items

wraggster
September 27th, 2006, 16:26
Several amusing and not so amusing items that need to be discussed openly.

Site Impersonations

Whilst it doesnt affect this site its rather sad that a site impersonates a coder on their forums so that they get the release thread.

Most of you know but if you dont the rather excellent Dark_Alex was impersonated by the people over at PS2Nfo over the release of one of his creations, its rather funny because the coder isnt even a member there.

Sad rating - 8

The Non Crediting Sites

Well heres a funny one firstly we have the newsposters over at PSP Spot who seem to post every PSP Scene release but only around 10% of the time ever post the source. Come on guys lets all play fair.

Then we have Maxconsole, a site thats of a decent size but wont link to any release from this site or QJ, yet they post all our news, sadly yesterday they posted the PS1P emu news and cut out the watermarks from my screens. For that i will now until the release put the watermark slap bang in the middle. If the scene is to move on lets all link properly.

Sad rating - 9

The GPL Wars

Lessons need to be learned over GPL releases and source codes, firstly some people were far too quick to jump down others necks, firstly i advise patience from all sectors, then contact the relevent parties and make sure no special permissions were given.

Then and only then ask for the source in a friendly manner. To all coders in this day and age people want your work and as an end user the GPL part annoys me, but if the release is subject to that then please try to accomadate.

Im sure everyone understands the need to protect the release of the people involved but remember all coders put a lot of time on projects. Sometimes a little bit of slack should be given.

Sad rating - 6

Hopefully all issues can be resolved and that all the different communities in the PSP scene can work as one. The flaming becuase of the GPL issue the other night was not neccessary at all. Lessons must be learned by all parties.

Thats it for now :)

wraggster
September 27th, 2006, 16:28
The linking from us to maxconsole stopped because for a long while they stopped to us, lets hope that everything can return to normal, this isnt a nasty newspost just hopefully one to pull all sites as one strong PSP scene.

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 16:35
This is the friendliest, nicest, best and most original homebrew PSP Website I can think of, a big reason I post any of my PSP mods here :) and only here...

...Then Qj and other scum steal them and reword it to look as if I posted it there...O well least we all know where it originally comes from :)

valar
September 27th, 2006, 16:36
sounds fair..

Darksaviour69
September 27th, 2006, 16:40
to be fair on QJ they have got better.
but Impersonating a coder! thats really low. (PS2Nfo)

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 16:40
Briggzy I'm with you on that this is the friendliest site and the best period. Thats why i don't even go to any other sites but this one. I really love this site.

Shuin0
September 27th, 2006, 16:41
It's kind of sad to see other sites try and make up news them selfs or steal and and take it as there own. Sites like that just want to get members to sell there e-mails to companies O.o.....

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 16:42
to be fair on QJ they have got better.
but Impersonating a coder! thats really low. (PS2Nfo)
How so have they gotten better. Just wondering

Shuin0
September 27th, 2006, 16:42
It's kind of sad to see other sites try and make up news them selfs or steal and and take it as there own. Sites like that just want to get members to sell there e-mails to companies O.o.....

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 16:43
Just use the edit button shuino it will remove it if you use it

Darksaviour69
September 27th, 2006, 16:48
How so have they gotten better. Just wondering

well i don't want to get into pasted stuff, but they do source better now + someother stuff. As wraggs said we want a strong scene, so we are actively trying to stop the bitching, but some other sites just really take the...... micky, with the stuff they do.

quzar
September 27th, 2006, 16:51
The problem with the GPL thing is that giving a grace period isn't part of the way the GPL works, and so if we were to enforce it in any way, we should not be hosting binaries until issues have been resolved (as opposed to the other way around). The GPL is very strict in this.

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 16:52
Well the only thing with QJ is that they steal from this site, now dont get me wrong I bet we have had stuff from their site too but when they get stuff from here and re word it to look as if its EXCLUSIVE to them...

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the last thing I will ever do is post something exclusive to them ever...

...I have something "exclusive" to post here very very soon and all im saying is that it merges 2 homebrew games together with a big mod...

...Mr Nick will know what I am on about :P cuz hes helping out with it...I hope

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 16:53
Totally agree senor dark. I was just curious because before discovering dcemu i only new of them and they where awful moderators treated members like crap and members treated other members like garbage. And here for the exception of one moderator everybody is great , awesome , superb

Darksaviour69
September 27th, 2006, 16:57
Totally agree senor dark. I was just curious because before discovering dcemu i only new of them and they where awful moderators treated members like crap and members treated other members like garbage. And here for the exception of one moderator everybody is great , awesome , superb

i never posted in the QJ forums, so i would'nt know

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 16:57
The exception of 1 moderator lol...

I like every1 here apart from QJ wannabes coming on the IRC ruining it for us all

I hate the saddos that go on qj's comments and write "Wow First comment" haha how sad!!!

mr_nick666
September 27th, 2006, 16:59
This is the friendliest, nicest, best and most original homebrew PSP Website I can think of

/\ /\ Other than DJMNV of course! ;)

...Then Qj and other scum steal them and reword it to look as if I posted it there...O well least we all know where it originally comes from :)

/\ Thats BAD :mad: Did any of my MODs end up there? :confused: I bloody hope not! :eek:

...Mr Nick will know what I am on about :P cuz hes helping out with it...I hope

/\ You still working on your Flower Arranging game? :rolleyes:

valar
September 27th, 2006, 17:01
people can be annoying sometimes so don't get involved too much and carry on great work at dc.emu, pretty please...stellar site.:)

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 17:01
i never posted in the QJ forums, so i would'nt know
Well i did over a year ago and reached only 5 posts and have never been to the site again. Tells you how good this site is cause i spend houers here and on the aol chat helping people out with the need of help.

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 17:02
Mr Nick PSPDemons mods ended up on QJ and they didnt even link them to DCEMU, they linked his mods to his cancelled QJ account haha how very unusual...

...DJMNV I do like becuase I am a moderator there afterall haha and im the nicest moderator there haha apart from Dawd, You, Vetta and everybody else haha... I try my best :)

mr_nick666
September 27th, 2006, 17:04
Mr Nick PSPDemons mods ended up on QJ and they didnt even link them to DCEMU, they linked his mods to his cancelled QJ account haha how very unusual...

...DJMNV I do like becuase I am a moderator there afterall haha and im the nicest moderator there haha apart from Dawd, You, Vetta and everybody else haha... I try my best :)

Hmmm... I wonder if they altered them :mad: I may have to have a look :rolleyes:

Im the NICEST Moderator of all by the way! :p

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 17:05

Hey whats DJMNV. And i know all the guys you mention except you is that even a nick:confused:

quzar
September 27th, 2006, 17:09
/\ You still working on your Flower Arranging game? :rolleyes:

are we finally gonna get a proper homebrew ikebana sim?!

:faints:

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 17:09
DJMNV is a website that has mods for games such as turrican among other things...

...Mods such as PSPDemon, Vetta, Mr Nick etc are all members there and we post mods there maybe 3 or 4 days b4 they are posted here :)...

...Its DCEMU friendly anyway cuz we all love DCEMU :)

When Mr Nick released Sonic Turrican on DJMNV haha I was well pleased :)...made the sites rating go right up apparantly...

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 17:20
I see well ill take a look at it. Thanks

dejkirkby
September 27th, 2006, 17:22
I really hope that all the sites can learn a lesson from DCEmu.
The things I hate most about other ,and more recently, this site are:

Where can I get iso's?/can you help me with an iso?
Woo! First post!
We aren't helping you you f**king n00bs!

I do my best to help anyone, but it really angers me when these three comments are on!

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 17:23
kewl have fun :)...

...I tried that PSP Spot for the first time ever about 2 minutes ago and they have a ISO Loader for 2.71 psp's...

...I thought that was illegal to distribute on a website...they really are ruining the scene you were right Wraggy...

DPyro
September 27th, 2006, 17:35
http://jaywebdesigns.com/dawd/

mr_nick666
September 27th, 2006, 17:35
Hey whats DJMNV. And i know all the guys you mention except you is that even a nick:confused:

Come on over and find out! :p Here \/ \/ \/ \/

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 17:46
Snipr :) your alive...aint seen you on the forums in a good while...

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 17:48
Actually i think a navy seal sniper took him down. One shot one cyber kill. LOL

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 17:49
haha that happened to me on SOCOM online last night :P

ACID
September 27th, 2006, 17:52
Nice i suck at socom Always get killed before i blink im good atFighting games and rpgs but sthink at first person shooters

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 17:54
lol im well rubbish on fighting games especially DOA online...

...not to bad on RPG's I had a all time score on Phantasy Star Online :P

SOCOM is ace online but i hate people that find out glitches and use them in game :@

troom
September 27th, 2006, 17:59
have to say i like this site a lot more than QJ you guys are a lot nicer than they are every time some one ask for help over there some one bites there head off iv seen on this site people try and help you unless you ask a dumb Q that you could of googled any way thats my 2 sgillinn. soraidh

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 18:00
lol troom your always welcome here :P among other people...

QJ dont help people cuz they think they are professional and know so much about PSP...

...A used Tampon knows more about the PSP than any mod there haha...

Emeriastone
September 27th, 2006, 18:03
That's right. Put them in their place Wraggster!

mr_nick666
September 27th, 2006, 18:04
have to say i like this site a lot more than QJ you guys are a lot nicer than they are every time some one ask for help over there some one bites there head off iv seen on this site people try and help you unless you ask a dumb Q that you could of googled any way thats my 2 sgillinn. soraidh

We're a helpfull bunch for the most part here! (theres a wealth of knowledge to draw on) ;)

I notice you're located in Hell... I dont remember booking you in...! :p

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 18:06
I notice you're located in Hell... I dont remember booking you in...! :p

Hahahaha...theres only 1 PSPDemon on this website Little Nicky :P I take it ya finished work now :P me ill be starting it at 9pm lol how very unfair :(...

...I been browsing psp websites wondering y the hell they're all the same lol I also found my matrix mod on like 12 psp websites haha I only posted it on DJMNV and DCEMU :S

Adamuko
September 27th, 2006, 18:08
Sites that bash on other sites

Sites like DCemu who bash on other sites and cry about it are lame to a new level. I have seen at least 5 topics in the news forum (and is not actually news, just site bashing) That bitch about how they are the best site and all sites are lame.

Sad rating - 10

Illegal Machine
September 27th, 2006, 18:11
Im a member over at PS2NFO and I like that site a lot. they release these SICK mods over there and they don't care who says its ok or not. that's pretty cool in my book right off the bat.

however "Site Impersonations

Whilst it doesnt affect this site its rather sad that a site impersonates a coder on their forums so that they get the release thread.

Most of you know but if you dont the rather excellent Dark_Alex was impersonated by the people over at PS2Nfo over the release of one of his creations, its rather funny because the coder isnt even a member there.

Sad rating - 8"

I read those posts and the admin over there STATED ON THE FRONT PAGE that Dark alex was being impersonated ALREADY on those forums, that that user WAS NOT Dark Alex, and that HE HIMSELF, (the Admin) would be posting with that account untill the REAL Dark Alex came forward to reclaim his account (apparantly they didnt know if he was ever a member or not)

So its not as shady as you guys and those QJ 5h17W4D5 made it out to be..

and for the record I think its pathetic how QJ whines and cries about that site all the time, I wouldn't have even known about it had they not cried like a bunch of little girls about them over and over.

And YES, its a good site. who cares if they support warez, sice when did Sony start paying YOU to enforce copyright laws? oh yea they don't so don't concern yourself with it, it's PS2NFO's decision, and I stand by them for it

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 18:13
I like PS2NFO I too am a member there and big deal somebody Impersonated Dark_Alex...it happens all the time, just gotta hope it does not happen much longer, PS2NFO found out about this impersonator and banned him/her good for them :)

Adamuko

Sad Rating - Infinity

Fanjita
September 27th, 2006, 18:13
...A used Tampon knows more about the PSP than any mod there haha...

Interesting claim.

As for GPL - there's just no excuse for not abiding by the terms of the GPL. You're piggy-backing off someone else's hard work - so you are legally and morally bound to obey the terms that they allow you to use that work under.

To try to excuse it with "remember all coders put a lot of time on projects. Sometimes a little bit of slack should be given" is just wrong. In the vast majority of cases, the original coder put in lots more than the coder that builds on top of it.

And for ps2nfo - the impersonation of dark_alex is just the most visible aspect of their treachery. If you examine most downloads on that site, you'll find that the info and credits in the readme files, and often even in the apps themselves, are edited according to ps2nfo's whim. That aspect is something that is simply inexcusable.

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 18:19
Interesting claim.

Thank you fanjita...

...I agree with source releases and I am glad DCEMU releases them, I was mega pleased when I heard of the source code released for GPSmash...

...A PSXP source code would be pretty nice to see as well.

The legality of homebrew for the PSP is very unsure to be personally, I am no noob but I dont know if it is illegal or not, ISO loader definately are and I steer clear from that side of homebrew but ya know it has to be said :)

quzar
September 27th, 2006, 18:39
Thank you fanjita...

...I agree with source releases and I am glad DCEMU releases them, I was mega pleased when I heard of the source code released for GPSmash...

uh huh... you know that most of the big stink is because over half of the emulators that DCEmu hosts are violating the GPL right?

jak66
September 27th, 2006, 18:41
And for ps2nfo - the impersonation of dark_alex is just the most visible aspect of their treachery. If you examine most downloads on that site, you'll find that the info and credits in the readme files, and often even in the apps themselves, are edited according to ps2nfo's whim. That aspect is something that is simply inexcusable.
indeed, if i remember right QJ did a news post on ps2nfo, said that the hex edited stuff like the hello world tiff exploit and removed yours, diltews and other peoples names

LazerTag
September 27th, 2006, 18:47
I'd have to say on the source issue. As coder you should already know what sort of license your getting into when you take on someone else's source to build upon it, period. As for people "jumping the gun" over it, I don't see how the source issue is any different then a site who has news or images taken and no credit given to them either. You tend to jump on it away when you see those things too. Anyway just one persons opinion here.

Kramer
September 27th, 2006, 18:53
Thank you fanjita...

Lol I hope you know that Fanjita is a QJ mod.

Nafogel
September 27th, 2006, 19:17
qj sucks. When i posted the release of my app "Flash Selector v1.1" qj took it from this site and completely reworded it, and then they completely misspelled my name and never corrected it even though i sent them several emails and complaints.

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 19:29
haha fanjita is evil for been a QJ mod but I like him...hes a one off!!!

But fanjita did say i had an interesting point so i agreed with him :P

S34MU5
September 27th, 2006, 19:51
you go girl ^.^

scarph
September 27th, 2006, 19:57
wragg this is gonna sound a little offensive but o well. You don't have to credit a site that posted the news. Removing the watermark is fine, it's not your property. Just cus you wanna have all the money from the ads thats no reason to through a fit

I hope you listen to what i have to say and not instantly freak out.

M!ckeY
September 27th, 2006, 20:00
You still working on your Flower Arranging game? :rolleyes:
that's sounds awesome...:D

Briggzy11
September 27th, 2006, 20:11
wragg this is gonna sound a little offensive but o well. You don't have to credit a site that posted the news. Removing the watermark is fine, it's not your property. Just cus you wanna have all the money from the ads thats no reason to through a fit

lol but this new psx emulator is a DCEMU exclusive and wraggy took the pictures himself, he has a right not to want them on any other website...

chronomaster5042
September 27th, 2006, 20:17
Just a point I'd like to make is, I don't think wraggster is bashing QJ in this article, just stating that maxconsole doesn't cite sources...

LloydKansas
September 27th, 2006, 20:17
Yes, removing the watermarks from personal images is just sick. It would be different if the pictures were taken from the coder themselves, but in this case they are the complete property of Wraggster, and other sites have no right to remove the watermarks. If the news is original as well, the site that it came from should receive credit for their work. I completely agree with everything Wraggster has said.

jerrt
September 27th, 2006, 20:27
to wraggs,

i am a member of both the dcemu network and ps2nfo, and while you have the right to feel how you do, i think the comment about what you said concerning the dark_alex fake and ps2nfo came off a little wrong. [I know you don't like sites that condone iso loading but hear me out]

from what i can tell [you should contact ps2nfo if you want to know the full story from the source] someone, that could have been anyone not really associated with ps2nfo, created an account to act like dark_alex. there were posts made then someone said, "hey that isn't the real dark alex" ps2nfo [the screen name of the guy who runs it] seized the account and offered the real dark_alex a chance to have it for his use. ps2nfo became the only one who was allowed to use the account until dark_alex claimed its rightful use.

I don't think it was ps2nfo's fault that an impersination and real posts under fake names happened, and you make it seem that way. i only type this because if a similar post was placed about your site in their forums/news, i would write the same rebutle for you and i only feel it fair.

edit* i read through the first 4 pages to see if any posted anythign on this, then i wrote my comment, then i read the last three. sorry i'm repeating what other people have said. also, i don't know anything about ps2nfo posters changing thing in releases and i don't comment on that in my statements. i can only hope they don't really take away the credit from others. it goes your site then theirs in my list of sites i have always thought of them as very reliable.

Darksaviour69
September 27th, 2006, 21:37
that was very well posted jerrt. You disagreed, and put forward an arguement why....with (shock) no flameing! If every post was like that we internet would be a better place (that includes me)

Fanjita
September 27th, 2006, 21:41
Hopefully most rational adults realise the site wars are just petty nonsense, by and large, and that trying to generalise about users and staff at any given site is just silly.

No-one holds you hostage at any given site. You can browse them all, see what they have to offer and their style, and decide which ones suit your needs and preferences.

We all have our favourite sites, and we all have sites we dislike. Trying to force those beliefs on others is just foolish.

It's important to keep your eyes and mind open, and to know the sins of any given site that you frequent. Then you can decide for yourself whether you are comfortable supporting that site.

Personally there's no way that I would visit a site that steals credit for releases (I don't mean sourcing, here, just authorship. From what I can see, all the sites have issues when it comes to correct sourcing). And I could never support a site that actively promotes piracy.

NyghtcrawleR
September 27th, 2006, 22:16
Maybe I should have, maybe I shouldnt have...I wanted to see what would happen if I went over to maxconsole and posted a little something:
Here's the first post:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8892/maxconsolekk7.th.png (http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maxconsolekk7.png)
Which promptly got deleted....so I decided I'll post again, which is the second time:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4928/maxconsole1wx3.th.png (http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maxconsole1wx3.png)
After this, which I got banned. I knew it would happen, but I guess they couldnt suck it up.

Cap'n 1time
September 27th, 2006, 23:00
Hopefully most rational adults realise the site wars are just petty nonsense, by and large, and that trying to generalise about users and staff at any given site is just silly.

Agreed. The site war is nonsence between users with "mine is better than yours" or the classical "my dad can beat up your dad." At the same time we feel that QJ is run with a lack of morallity, but thats a conversation for IRC which you and anyone else are more than welcome to join any time.

But to our users, please quit with the "OMG QJ suxors, DCEMU rocks!" because you dont really understand why with disagree with them. You are acting exactly like the QJ members that post thoughtless crap on their homepage.

quzar
September 27th, 2006, 23:06

Technically, all pictures are owned and copyrighted by the people who took them, in this case, wraggy would be the owner. More common internet rules of though seem to track that if you do not post a specific claim to copyright, then by posting them on a public website, you are forfeting them to the public domain.

Yes, removing the watermarks from personal images is just sick. It would be different if the pictures were taken from the coder themselves, but in this case they are the complete property of Wraggster, and other sites have no right to remove the watermarks. If the news is original as well, the site that it came from should receive credit for their work. I completely agree with everything Wraggster has said.

How is it any different? When a coder posts an image, it too is a 'personal' image...

Agreed. The site war is nonsence between users with "mine is better than yours" or the classical "my dad can beat up your dad." At the same time we feel that QJ is run with a lack of morallity, but thats a conversation for IRC which you and anyone else are more than welcome to join any time.

But to our users, please quit with the "OMG QJ suxors, DCEMU rocks!" because you dont really understand why with disagree with them. You are acting exactly like the QJ members that post thoughtless crap on their homepage.

Actually the root of the problem is that we consistantly have newsposts here that trash qj and other sites. In the olden days that's how it was against dcemulation, leading to the idea amongst people here that it was some sort of wretched hive of scum and villany.

A few of the posters (IMO) hit the nail on the head with the site revenue thing. ANY SITE that is based on the maintainer of it profiting is bound to run into issues of actively trying to draw traffic from other sites by any means they deem morally acceptable.

aries2k4
September 27th, 2006, 23:36

No-one holds you hostage at any given site. You can browse them all, see what they have to offer and their style, and decide which ones suit your needs and preferences.

We all have our favourite sites, and we all have sites we dislike. Trying to force those beliefs on others is just foolish.

It's important to keep your eyes and mind open, and to know the sins of any given site that you frequent. Then you can decide for yourself whether you are comfortable supporting that site.

Exactly!!! I browse through many sites looking for info but of course I have my favorites. I would like to see the site bashing stop though. I think it kind of spoils the psp scene.
ps. I donīt really go to ps2nfo anymore though,lol I like to see my posts go up right away in a forum, not wait at hour to get an edited version. whatīs the point:rolleyes:

Adamuko
September 27th, 2006, 23:49
This topic has no point other than to bash on other sites, I was warned for my post on page 4 for just saying to DCemu what they are saying to all the other sites. This site is very hypocritical, they have taken news from other sites such as the Gameboy Advanced emu from qj.

Basil Zero
September 28th, 2006, 02:01
i only go to two sites, QJ and this site, i go to QJ to talk about homebrew and other systems.

I come to this site, to hear news and download the homebrew.

BEST OF TWO WORLDS, i say

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 02:32
This topic has no point other than to bash on other sites, I was warned for my post on page 4 for just saying to DCemu what they are saying to all the other sites. This site is very hypocritical, they have taken news from other sites such as the Gameboy Advanced emu from qj.

I agree with you, and after asking for imput from a few other mods, agreed that that warning was uncalled for. I accidentally removed your previous warning as opposed to this one, but your points should be back down to 4 as opposed to 8.

Users should not be punished for speaking their mind, as long as it's not personally insulting to others.