PDA

View Full Version : X06: Halo RTS explodes

wraggster
September 27th, 2006, 21:14
Microsoft has announced an all-new Xbox 360 RTS game set in the Halo universe from Ensemble Studios, the makers of Age of Empires.

Halo Wars will be built exclusively from the ground-up for the Xbox 360, and puts you in command of human UNSC armies as they deploy for mankind's first deadly encounter with the enemy Covenant forces.

In an update on its website, Bungie had the following to say about Halo Wars:

"Bungie has been working with Ensemble primarily in the area of the game's fiction to help inspire the story and ensure continuity with the existing Halo Universe. Aside from that, Ensemble is applying their skills to deliver a great Halo experience in a whole new genre, which is ironically where Halo began in the first place. If you've seen some of the very early Halo videos out there, you might recall that before it ever became an FPS, it was in fact designed as an RTS (building off of Bungie's experience with the Myth franchise). Now, many years later, Ensemble is able to take the franchise full circle and bring it back to the place where it all began."

The post continues: "Ensemble brought their prototype to Bungie quite a while back, to show the guys that an RTS could not only work on the 360, but kick ass too. Frankly, Ensemble is one of very few folks on Earth that we would trust with our baby, and that trust is doubled thanks to the excellence of the Age of Empires franchise."

Ensemble's Chris Rippy commented: "The Halo Wars team is made up of a bunch of guys that are all very passionate Halo fans. When we sat down to start thinking about our next project, we thought bringing the Halo universe into the RTS world would be a perfect a fit, and would make an amazing game. We couldn't be more excited about Halo Wars, and can't wait for everyone to try it out!"

Halo Wars seems to be the first of many RTS games heading for Microsoft's console, with EA's Battle for Middile-Earth II already out on the system and other notable RTS developers expressing interest in the console.

Screens Here (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=146691)

Cooe14
September 27th, 2006, 21:26
Hmmm... where have a heard this before a RTS with a group of humans, and space marrines (Earth people/Terrans) a group of mindless mutations (Flood/Zerg) and and a advanced race of high tech aliens on a holy war (Covanent/Protoss). StarCraft anyone :). But if it is being made by Ensemble it will still be a good game.

ExcruciationX
September 27th, 2006, 21:36
Awesome!

BrooksyX
September 27th, 2006, 22:18
Finally, I was hopping they would make a halo RTS after the first time I played it.

SmashinGit
September 28th, 2006, 10:52
It just keeps getting better and better!

Darksaviour69
September 28th, 2006, 11:19
i love halo, i love C&C ( not so hot with Age of Empires, but i meet the guy that made that series) so i'm happy

Darksaviour69
September 28th, 2006, 15:28
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13532&type=mov&pl=game
video

yeah its going to be great, i'm guessing it going to take place before the first halo (as master cheif was the last spartin), i would guess that the fall of reach will be on it too

edit: i'm right

Q: Where does “Halo Wars” take place in the Halo timeline?
A: “Halo Wars” takes place before Halo 1 during the UNSC’s first deadly encounters with the Covenant.

http://halowars.com/faqs.html

SmashinGit
September 28th, 2006, 23:40
That video looks awsome, thanks Darksaviour69. I'm not a big rts fan although I do like playing Command & Conquer so i'll definately be giving this a try.