PDA

View Full Version : Emergency PSP: Reviving the Handheld To Greatness

wraggster
September 27th, 2006, 22:46
Via Gamedaily (http://www.gamedaily.com/features/?id=1130)

The PSP is running second place to the Nintendo DS right now in the handheld wars. You can argue that point all you want, but it's fact. Thanks to the launch of the improved DS model (the Nintendo DS Lite) and a more affordable price, Nintendo's in a prime position to take a stranglehold of the handheld market This doesn't bode well for the folks at Sony, who put a lot of time and effort into making their debut handheld system the one to look for on the market for on-the-go gaming thrills.

But all is not lost. Sony may have lost the battle, but not the war. So we've decided to take a closer look at the situation and provide some advice as to how Sony can recover some of their lost ground and make the PSP the powerhouse it deserves to be.

Meanwhile, let's get through the tips...

1. Drop the UMD movies already. Look, Sony, you tried to establish your Sony PSP as an all-out entertainment machine, but let's be honest- the UMD movie is a lost cause. First of all, it's too expensive. Releases go anywhere from $15-$30, and the movies don't boast nearly as many extras as they do in DVD format. Secondly, if people want to watch movies on the go, they can snag a portable DVD player for around $100. Finally, studios, not to mention store chains, are losing veritable interest. UMD movies are being discounted for quick sale or dropped from shelves altogether in favor of more interactive entertainment, such as games or systems. This multimedia has run its course, and it was an interesting experiment, but UMD movies are the new Beta. There, I said it. Now drop it already.

2. Lower the system price. A drastic move? Yes. But a necessary one. You're about to enter the Christmas season with a handheld that's priced almost double the price of your PlayStation 2. Parents and their children will instead turn to the alternative, the much cheaper DS Lite, with their holiday dollars. So you'll need to compete with that by dropping the price of your basic unit once more. Yes, we know you knocked it down to $200. But $150- or even $130- looks more desirable, and may turn on more of the crowd you're seeking out. Sure, you'll eat a few bucks in hardware, but think about the rise in unit purchases, leading to more game purchases.

3. Fix the D-pad. Sure, you're already at work on a new prototype unit that will eventually replace the ultra-shiny PSP. But, for now, could a little something be done to fix up the D-pad so that it feels less strenuous? I don't see why we would need to use a cheap stick-on accessory that came with a Capcom or Namco game to get a more natural feeling out of our system, when a little rethinking in manufacturing can easily fix the error. We know you're reinventing the system as you know it- but that doesn't mean you can't tweak the current one.

4. Get more exclusive games. Part of the appeal of owning a certain game system is that it has a few exclusive titles that can't be played anywhere else. The PSP already has plenty of these, such as Daxter, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, and Pursuit Force, but now's the time to step up and get some deals made for some more big, exclusive games. And we don't just mean fun little compilations like EA Replay and Activision Hits. We mean BIG licenses. Make a deal with Square Enix to set up the next Chrono game for the little handheld. Talk with EA and get a new Burnout tailor-made for the PSP. See what I'm getting at?

5. Get more online friendly. We see that you're offering online play via Infrastructure with some titles and the ability to challenge players via Wi-Fi, but, really, you need to keep up with Nintendo. And with that, you need to set up some kind of gamer-friendly online network that not only allows players to hook up in more of your first-party games, but does so for very little price- if any at all, for that matter. And make it more user friendly than the interface you have now. Instead of just setting up Hot Spots, make accessibility something of a snap, like the DS does. Trust me, you'll thank us when we're gathering Dark Mirror leagues and taking part in NBA 07 tourneys.

6. Make PS1 downloads reasonably priced. "Riiiiiiiidge Racer!" OK, so the PS1 download service that you're going to be introducing probably won't revolutionize the game scene. But you've still got a cavalcade of classic gamers who will take advantage of getting Gran Turismo on their system just to race against others. But please, please, PLEASE- make your download service easy to afford. Set up a point system for a cheap dollar trade-off, introduce pre-paid cards for cheap, and even set up an earning system to get bonus points to add to your profile. Paying $15 for Ridge Racer is not even close to acceptable, especially when I can find the original PS1 game for $2. Time to make these games shine for a fraction of the cost. You'll get more downloads this way, I assure you.

7. Get a better marketing campaign. Yes, talking hairballs can be fun. But we're more about the mice listening to cheese (OUTSIDE!) and the diversity of ads. I haven't even seen an ad yet for Dark Mirror, one of the system's best games this year. Sony, you need to introduce a better, more visceral marketing campaign that talks more about the games and less about dialogue involving having all the women in the world falling in love with you. Show us what you got with games, not a smarmy tongue. We already know you can talk up a storm.

8. Get the multi-colored units out quicker. Want to turn on more gamers? A plain black system probably won't get it done by itself. We know that you've revealed multiple-colored systems over at the Tokyo Game Show, so now you can surprise us by getting them on shelves for a good price. Sure, I'll take a sporty blue PSP for $150. It almost reminds me of the old Sega Sports Game Gear unit, but much, much sleeker.

Hope these tips helped you out, Sony. Trust your own instincts if you must, but following this advice will certainly make things easier for your Christmas season. Good luck to you guys.

Agree or not tell us via Comments

JD/
September 27th, 2006, 22:58
I would probably buy another psp if it was blue and downgradeable. I think i agree with all the points madebut i think sony are starting to get more exclusive games released I know of a few games ill be buying for the psp in the coming weeks.

Video_freak
September 27th, 2006, 23:28
I completly agree with every single point made there (except the D-pad remodel). UMDs are too pricy, the PSP is too expensive compared to the DS, there aren't enough quality games, we need better online support, cheaper PSone game downloads, better ads, and more unit colors. What's wrong with the D-pad though?

PsychoSync
September 27th, 2006, 23:33
Yeah Wragg, that would be awesome if all you said there could become reality. Is it me or Sony seems to be lazy with their PSP? They could make it no.1 with all the ressources they possess and end up making more money in the process.

imoneofthem
September 27th, 2006, 23:40
Hmmm....it's very interesting to consider

One of my theories is that in Japan the DS is over popular due to Utada Hikaru (a famous japanese singer and tetris queen) starring in the adverts.

However, I wouldn't say the PSP is completely falling downhill. Consider that the DS was release a year earlier than the PSP (the DS had a head start in the market).

However let's consider this:
The PSP is a 'multimedia' system. It plays music, videos, etc. A handheld console aims to deliver gameplay, not multimedia!

The popularity of PSP homebrew is far superior than the DS homebrew mainly due to the fact that you only have to use the 32mb MSDuo bundled with the PSP when first purchased. To utilise DS homebrew you require to purhcase adapters online and then choose which versions to pick for the flashcartridge. Although the PSP is similar regarding firmwares, it is a different matter and now one can run homebrew on all firmwares except for 2.8 and 2.81 (2.8 does not have kernal mode at this time).

On the subject of hardware, the PSP is an overpriced system whilst the DS is cheaper.

Regarding software, the DS is a system to be left alone whilst the PSP is constantly being used to run retail games from the memory stick or streamed from a computer via USB. This points out Sony's big hole in software sales.

Me and my brother own both a DS and a PSP each. I admit that the PSP homebrew scene is enormous and offers a big selection. My DS remains abandonned in the cupboard (yet I plan on using it for the new zelda and pokemon titles).

I wouldn't say the PSP is a failure (not outside of Japan), but the DS seems to be selling better than the PSP everywhere...

And regarding the PSX titles on PSP..I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were to release the titles on UMD disc. If they dare to release it as an application for the system, coders will rip it apart and customise it for the scene thus provoking sony even more.

NeoXCS
September 27th, 2006, 23:47
I think the PSP appeals to the older market more than the DS. The DS is more likely to be an a younger kids wish list than a PSP. PSP is more complicated and they would shy away from it. DS is full of family fun games and big name games galore, so it appeals to more in that sense as well. I myself love my PSP and wouldnt trade it for anything.

motormaniac
September 27th, 2006, 23:50
I agree w/ everything, i mean espeacilly the online stuff because i mean this is a single player gaming device and whats the fun in never being able to play against other people because u dont have a router or the game wont let you. I mean every time i get a online game i get excited but i go and try out multyplyer mode and i cant because of the security on my router!

I mean come on Sony, give us somthing worth 250 bucks!

pibs
September 27th, 2006, 23:53
[QUOTE=JD/]I would probably buy another psp if it was blue and downgradeable./QUOTE]
lol mines blue and downgradeable :)

but yea sony should lower their price on the psp!

motormaniac
September 28th, 2006, 00:01
but yea sony should lower their price on the psp!

AMEN

vanle
September 28th, 2006, 00:20
HereHere. Cheap ps1 games would almost make me update my firmware...ALMOST

g00gy
September 28th, 2006, 00:31
you hit it on the spot wrag.

i hope they dont create a psp2 and leave us classic psp owners with nothing.

Emeriastone
September 28th, 2006, 00:34
Tis all good with me, but WTF is up with the d-pad thing? Seriously, if you can't use the d-pad because it's too "strenuous," then you must be an effing pansy.

Hungry Horace
September 28th, 2006, 00:49
whilst the ideas / points raised are certainly valid (i for one whould like a better d-pad and better online-gaming faciltiies) i think it's far too easy to forget that it's not as simple as DS vs PSP.

the PSP has come to sit in a very different market to the DS, and although Sony may not have intended it that way, they seem content to let it stay that way.

all my friends are a similar age to myself - the 22-28 bracket, and whilst i know plenty of PSP owners (although only one other who uses homebrew) i dont know a single DS owner. I can only put this down to the console appealing to a different (younger) audience.

i think trying to compare the two on direct sales figures is just stupid, and that Sony should concentrate their efforts on fulfilling the wants of the market group the PSP appeals to.... Yes that does include homebrew access, but should also include online gaming, downloadable media (music, movies etc), *inovative* games, whilst leaving the DS to carry on selling to the Kids who are quite content playing the latest churned-out beat-em-up and yet-another f**king Mario game.

crystlshadow
September 28th, 2006, 01:35
Wraggster makes excellent points and has good ideas, but....... Lets not forget that the PSP was already under priced at launch for $250. So a third price cut would be great for us but devastating for sony due to production costs. As for the controls, the analog stick needs a major update, I personally still play racing games with the D-Pad, it feels better. The games. We can definately use a better library of titles but it does suck that it takes the same amount of resourses to make a PSP game as a PS2. Once again development costs cripple the PSP but quality games counter this! Also sony should test games that require a large amount of loading time... (this makes games undesireable for example Midnightclub, excellent game poor load time therefore I dont play it!)... and instead of putting them out on UMD fling it on MEM Card, I would still buy it due to less load time if any. Sony I've yet to hear Nintendo complain about HOMEBREW on their systems, hint hint**, loosen up! Also keyword accessories. Lets be BOLD and put out a touch screen for the PSP, why not?, if the PSP can handle GPS, PS3 interactivity and all that other cool stuff I dont see the problem. Apparently the PSP is still on it's experimental stage anyway! But truth be told, I love both of my PSP's. Also PSone DL's need to be cheap and I would even welcome a yearly membership! The PSP is far from defeated!

imoneofthem
September 28th, 2006, 01:44
It's true that the PSP offers a change, rather than the Nintendo's continuous range of Mario titles...

However, being a person who has played a good number of the mario games I find that I am very attatched to the titles because of the gameplay offered. This may relate to graphics.

Gameplay > Graphics in my opinion
(don't judge a book by its cover)

I know that sony will be releasing the playstation emulator soon, however it still concerns me to its capabilities. Eventually when the emulators from the homebrew scene work 90-100%, people will start using images made from games or even images obtained from the internet aka warez. It's nothing big anyway, unless Sony can include multiplayer via wifi (1 in a 100 chance I say)...

Regarding Hungry Horace's comment:
I know a lot of people as well who do not have any knowledge about homebrew and they are legit when it comes to their PSP. However in the near future I will expect the number of psp's w/homebrew to grow (considering the current devellopments).

Basil Zero
September 28th, 2006, 01:59
You go wragg!

Nice points...however its too bad that Sony might not take your points seriously, if i was sony, i would.

Broadus
September 28th, 2006, 03:46
Man, a PSP2 would suck.

As for the first post...

Yep, UMD movies are pointless.
Lowering the system price might be too suicidal for Sony.
The D-pad IS pretty unresponsive when trying to use it for movement...
FPS games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty will be big titles and will be exclusive to the PSP. 3D portable GTA games are already exclusive to the PSP. There's a TON of good games coming out in Q4 of 2006.
Is there really a problem in the online play? Well, the only online game I've ever played on the PSP is SOCOM, and I think they did that flawlessly.
It's going to suck that players will have to upgrade in order to get new features like the PS1 emulator, unless DevHook can keep up.
I don't have much interest in those multi-colored PSPs... If I didn't already own a 1.5 PSP, THEN I would think of buying one. But that's just me.

You know what Sony REALLY needs for the PSP?
Some kind of attachment or program that will let players play Ad Hoc games online. PSP Star Wars Battlefront 2 would be so awesome online.
Two joysticks. My God, two joysticks. Some kind of attachment that adds another joystick! The shooter genre would be PERFECT for the PSP if they'd just add another joystick!

dillonc123
September 28th, 2006, 07:44
Yes a chrono trigger for the psp would be so cool.

ACID
September 28th, 2006, 07:53
PSP 2 will definately suck

Broadus
September 28th, 2006, 08:31
Hopefully the next generation of portable game consoles won't come out in, like... Ten years. If we're lucky.
Though "lucky" depends on how you look at it. In a few decades, give or take a few dozen years, we'll have all-out PS3/360/WII-looking portable devices on the markets.

razorak
September 28th, 2006, 08:49
i definitely want a price drop =)

steve-b
September 28th, 2006, 11:24
wheres number 9? Let me type it up for you.

9. Let us run homebrew already!

irongiant
September 28th, 2006, 12:28
Why is it these pillocks have to keep coming up with this crap.. the PSP is not competing directly with the DS so it's not a bloody race. They're different machines and appeal to a different demographic, they were designed to target certain people and both are successful.

The real and only games machine battle/race/competition is the PS3 vs XBox360. They are head to head with each other on specs, features and just about everything so there is the only real console battle.

Why should Sony reduce the price? The PSP is selling very well at the current price point, for the functionality included it's good value.. as long as they're still selling well and Sony are making a profit on them there's no reason to lower the price. Comparing the price to the PS2 price is ridiculous, the PS2 has been available for years now and manufacturing processes have improved so costs have reduced. The PSP is still very early in it's life cycle, too early for big price cuts.

PSOne downloads i hope will be cheap otherwise i won't bother.. The DPad could do with a tweak, the full resolution for movies should be unlocked and UMD's should be very very cheap.

As for games, there's already plenty of quality PSP games available and plenty more on the way.

razorak
September 28th, 2006, 12:41
wheres number 9? Let me type it up for you.

9. Let us run homebrew already!

AMEN!!

hack.fool
September 28th, 2006, 16:58
no way to say it better Wraggster
I agree e v e r y single word...
we can only hope that some1 from $ony take a look..

dman32
September 28th, 2006, 17:58
I would love to know what games are superior to the psp....if you compare the ratings of games on the psp vs. ds for this year the psp wins. like by looking at the editors choice section on ign...the ds has 3 games since the new mario where as the psp has had 7. and 13 for the year or something like that. I think the ds has better games is a myth...the game reviews don't support that. Sales may...just because ds users will buy anything whether its good or bad.

dejkirkby
September 28th, 2006, 18:12
Homebrew aside, the DS is definitely marketed towards children, whereas in the UK at least, the PSP is marketed.........hardly ever.

F9zDark
September 28th, 2006, 18:33
This article is spot on and made me feel, almost depressed, knowing that none of it would become reality.

Online tournies for PSP games? Shit, I'd be there in a ****ing heartbeat.

And while I do believe that its hard to compare the two markets, I must say that Nintendo has done a hell of alot better job at delivering to their intended market.

The PSP is all over the place; its got Music, Movies, Camera and GPS coming, which are all more adult oriented tastes and then it gives us shitty, non-adult oriented games (well, most of them anyway).

Its almost a conflict of interest. A lower price + for younger audience games would bring in some people from the DS market (which the PSP could do). But at the same time Sony should also work at trying to maintain the market they have.

IF Sony were to work out a percentage of games, where 60-70% of games were geared towards its adult fans (this means games like Syphon Filter and Metal Gear Portable Ops) and 40-30% of games were geared towards younger audiences coupled with increased online capabilities and an online community for PSP owners, with a reduced price, Sony would find probably 200% increase in PSP sales.

And whats sad is that Sony has all the inklings of this desire showing. The web browser for instance. Sony is HALF WAY THERE at having a community formed (the web browser serves as the gateway), with a litte effort, time and money, Sony could pull it off and require no update or new firmware.

Now if Sony wanted to be really smart about it, they could build this community part of a PSP-Online service, that would be a new button on Internet icon of the XMB and serve as a link between PSP fans and information on new games and general sony news. It could also be programmed in a way to allow for the tunneling of all of Sony's ad hoc games across the internet so anyone with a multiplayer PSP game could play with anyone else in the world.

Damn... That just sounds utopian. :D

SSaxdude
September 28th, 2006, 21:18
The PSP is already doomed. No matter if there are some more good games coming out, sales are just nowhere as good as the DS.

Even if the PSP does die in a year or two, it'll be remembered for it's great homebrew.

Hungry Horace
September 30th, 2006, 01:41
Homebrew aside, the DS is definitely marketed towards children, whereas in the UK at least, the PSP is marketed.........hardly ever.

agreed. it's the same reason i dont really like any nintendo games, except a few on the GameBoy classic, which was such a pioneering machine, it lead to some interesting games. and yes, it'd be nice to see the PSP advertised occasionally.

The PSP is already doomed. No matter if there are some more good games coming out, sales are just nowhere as good as the DS.

i completely disagree. i hate to repeat myself but this is -not- a direct compeition of sales between the two!! different markets = different projected sales targets. Sony arent sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting to be told "you've got to pull the plug on the PSP, the DS is winning the war" - it just doesnt work like that.

the_eternal_dark
September 30th, 2006, 09:20
agreed. it's the same reason i dont really like any nintendo games, except a few on the GameBoy classic, which was such a pioneering machine, it lead to some interesting games. and yes, it'd be nice to see the PSP advertised occasionally.

I disagree with both of you, the DS is marketed for all ages, especially those of us who like taking on the roles of our favorite past heros, come on, Nintendo wouldn't let go of us original gangstas. No body turns their back on the Family. No body.

*that didn't come off as hardcore as I wanted it to*

potatoman
September 30th, 2006, 19:57
instead of that, sony could simply do 1 thing... LET US USE HOMEBREW ON ALL FIRMWARES!!
they could put a 20 MB limit on it or something so we dont go off making our own gta's but honestly, no one has the time or resources to better a COMMERCIAL GAME!
therefore, letting us use homebrew=more psp sales=more homebrew+more COMMERCIAL GAME SALES!

because honestly, the people who use homebrew probably buy more commercial games than the people who don't (in my opinion, might b true tho :) )

WHO'S WITH ME??? :p

F9zDark
October 1st, 2006, 05:02
Well point is, regardless of one's personal observations (which are generally biased anyway) its still a known fact; nintendo markets to kids almost exclusively.

Kids are a great market, especially where the area that I live in. Most of the towns near my town, the average income is between 80,000 to 100,000 dollars a year, with one town being host to people who get pay checks in the millions of dollars.

And in these towns the parents around here are far too rich to care about their kids, so what do they do? Goto the store and buy them all nintendo DS's, why? Because its marketed for kids! It requires no wasted effort in research to get it working, just plug it in, pop in a cartridge and a kid is catotonic for 4 hours a day.

A wholly different demographic than that of the PSP...