PDA

View Full Version : PS1P WIP News Update - DCEMU Exclusive - New PSOne Emu for PSP Coming Soon

wraggster
September 28th, 2006, 00:47
Hi all before i take my rather bruised eye to bed ( Never playfight with children on tramplolines btw, my sons knee caught my bloody eye with some major force and thus i have a black eye and a swollen face, i laugh now but boy is it sore :D)

Anyway my Anonymous Coder friend who is working on PS1P the PSOne emu for the PSP posted to me this update about the emulator:

As I said yesterday, I had to send you a version that was a few days old, my current one is a little better with hard-coded buttons, and I'm also looking at fullscreen and new optimizations for the GPU. Oh yeah, and at the present time the GPU is still mostly in software mode, since it's a lot easier to make it work in software first, I'm trying to convert it to 100% hardware but having a bit of a hard time. Currently only the final blits and the PS1 VRAM->VRAM copies are HW-optimized for the PSP. I'm currently trying to optimize the RAM->VRAM and VRAM->RAM using the same technique, which should help a lot in loading times (which are already very fast as you can see, although I can still get them even faster easily, while breaking compatibility with a number of games) and also maybe in gameplay with games that stream data to/from VRAM and RAM in real time during gameplay.

There should be a BIG speed boost when the GPU is fully converted to HW too.

to be honest some of that doesnt mean a deal to me but the BIG Speed boost does ;)

More info as i get it and please to all those that say its fake, this emulator is as real as the person posting news about it, meaning very real.

Whilst i think about it remembering that the PSone has a lot of buttons, what do all you DCEmu Members think would be the best way to get all the buttons on the PSP?

answers via comments

Exoskeletor
September 28th, 2006, 00:52
Do you know when you will have a beta version to test it? as for the buttons.. combinations is a solution. 2 buttons together. we have a lot of compinations that we can make

**1_Man_Matrix**
September 28th, 2006, 00:53
Awesome News!

I'm thinking profiles for each game!
Let us find a way to make them work, then save them as individual configs for each game.

Or...

If I remember right, the PS1 didn't use the d-pad and the left-stick at the same time, so maybe have up and down on the d-pad L3 and R3 and have left and right on the d-pad L2 and L3.

:D perhaps...

Mr. Shizzy
September 28th, 2006, 00:54
It seems QJ now has a site where any user can post storys. Of course one of them stole the PS1-P story, Wraggs screenies and all. Just a few hours ago Anonymous Coder (or so he claimed, who knows for sure) posted this in there comments:

11. » it works

believe me my emulator works.

you'll see on the 7th of october when i release the first beta to a select few members of staff on psp sites!

also i'm expecting a officail release to be sometime in november.

p.s this emulator is being made to play set games i want to work, not just any game. (most of my work will be making my fave games such as FINAL FANTASY work).

FF9 is also a b***h to do..

by Anonymous Coder (Unregistered), at Sep 27, 2006 at 02:41PM

This is very exciting news. :D

aries2k4
September 28th, 2006, 00:54
Great news!!! hopefully it won´t be long until we can try this baby on our psp´s. Wraggster, I´m pretty jealous of you, lol. How´s C&C playing?
thanks for the update.

Cloud_35
September 28th, 2006, 00:59
Japanese emulator vs. (Us or UK) emulator!!!

Isn't it a fake??? The Anonymous Coder seems suspicious...

-=me=-
September 28th, 2006, 01:01
sweet. i cant wait to play! I hope driver 2 works.....

nyrtrublue
September 28th, 2006, 01:02
well idk if sound is going to be implemented but if it isnt you could possibly map the volume keyes, the mute button and possibly even the screen brightness button but i wouldnt reccomend that unless you are out of ideas for mapping bc some certain games such as ape escpe required a full controller

Vega
September 28th, 2006, 01:07
I think the best option to use for our button problem would be just to incorporate a self mapping feature in the emulator. Some games dont use certain buttons while some do, so just let the user decide what buttons is what and we should all be sweet!

OMG I cant wait for this. Unlucky about the eye too Wraggster... but man, I am so jealous.... I WANNA' PLAY THIS EMULATOR SOOOOOOOOO BAD!

*mouth waters*

NeoXCS
September 28th, 2006, 01:09
I can't wait for this release it's gonna be amazing! On the button issue, if you make it possible to map your own buttons then most games will be fine without any special combo keys and such. Most of the games for the PS1 don't need all the buttons.

wraggster
September 28th, 2006, 01:10
Just got this update

Oh, and tell people that QJ guy is DEFINATELY not me. (see the new topic)

I'll only use this channel (your mail) or DCEmu to communicate with the rest of the world.

--A.C.

Gene
September 28th, 2006, 01:12
i wonder who this "Anonymous Coder" is...*hinting twords a certain coder*. but keep it on the dl, for various reasons.

NeoXCS
September 28th, 2006, 01:12
Wow, he is like a creepy stalker! :eek: :D I like this coder! :p

oafan
September 28th, 2006, 01:14
i cant wait, and it should be self mapping

Jpdeathblade
September 28th, 2006, 01:14
Great news. Makes me happy to still have a 1.5 (never updated...)

I so want this emu... I dont even care if its working properly. But if the first release is lke 90% speed and compadablity with no sound Ill be happy (RE2 and crash are just waiting to be ripped...someone send me a ripping guild plz =P)

psychadelicious
September 28th, 2006, 01:15
Does this thing have sound?

FrozenIpaq
September 28th, 2006, 01:15
I think I'll keep my opinions to myself on this issue ;p
BTW - this anonymous coder is questionable in my opinion, but if wragg believes him...then I guess it is true

Jpdeathblade
September 28th, 2006, 01:18
Dosnt matter. Hey you should make the menu like Dgen. That is a great menu, you can map all the keys and settings for each game and save them.

Tell the AC (Codename: Hobo) to put out a beta that has a link to this site before you get to the menu...so noone can steal credit =P

skater9269
September 28th, 2006, 01:18
How could wraggster not believe he has played it

Mr. Shizzy
September 28th, 2006, 01:20
Just got this update

Oh, and tell people that QJ guy is DEFINATELY not me. (see the new topic)

I'll only use this channel (your mail) or DCEmu to communicate with the rest of the world.

--A.C.

I had a suspicion. There are so many impersonating coders out there that your only way to be sure is to get your news right here at DCemu. :D

DPyro
September 28th, 2006, 01:20
BTW - this anonymous coder is questionable in my opinion, but if wragg believes him...then I guess it is true
wraggster has a beta, so theres no question this is real :rolleyes:

Mr. Shizzy
September 28th, 2006, 01:23
Folks, there is no question that this is real. It's 100% real. Wraggy took those screenies from the beta he already has!

carish
September 28th, 2006, 01:25
IBTW - this anonymous coder is questionable in my opinion

I take it as Anonymous Coder is just a nickname like anyother.

Cheers M Anonymous, I'm lookin forward the day i'll be so happy to run your ps1p on my psp :)

Vega
September 28th, 2006, 01:28
so is this coder gonna' name himself after the first release?
He sure is making this generate a new level of anticipation

mavsman4457
September 28th, 2006, 01:29
I think the solution to the buttons issue is to have full customization for button mapping. And by this I mean unlimited combinations of buttons like L+R+X+Right could be menu. Not that you would do that but just have any combination of buttons is what I mean. Also, it's awesome that this coder has chosen DCemu as his exclusive news outlet. Feel better wraggster! :)

Shuin0
September 28th, 2006, 01:29
I deff want to try out this emu its gonna be slick

BrunoM
September 28th, 2006, 01:32
agree most games didnt have the need for all the bottons so ya let us do or own maping and its all kool!

**1_Man_Matrix**
September 28th, 2006, 01:32
Anonymous coder is my hero :rolleyes:

I bet they wear a cape and a top hat and a mask...
Ah, so mysterious.

Silent Hill on PSP :D 2. F-ing.Good.

Tetris999
September 28th, 2006, 01:34
man can someone realease this stupid beta thing lol! jk dont ill wait but wragg stop tempting us!

mavsman4457
September 28th, 2006, 01:34
Now we won't have to buy all of the PS1 ports that Sony makes for PSP and sells for $40! Hooray!

PlagueMusic
September 28th, 2006, 01:38
i wouldn't be surprised if it is dark_alex but i doubt it
now we can rub this in qj's face :O

gamesquest1
September 28th, 2006, 01:41
Hi ive got an amazing idea and im almost certain it would work.....but there would need to be a proffesional comany involved in the making.. my idea is to add the L2 + R2 in the form of a custom made remore control like the normal psp one but its designed to clip on the top to give the L2 and R2 feel im pretty sure it would be easy to make but i have sort of been expecting a company to bring one out.......anybody like this idea as i know buttons can be mapped to the remote so this would solve L2+R2 problems and i also think this could pass as an official accessory that sony could make in my opnion .....thoughts please:D

ACID
September 28th, 2006, 01:48
Hope its booster or dark behind this.

**1_Man_Matrix**
September 28th, 2006, 01:48
Hi ive got an amazing idea and im almost certain it would work.....but there would need to be a proffesional comany involved in the making.. my idea is to add the L2 + R2 in the form of a custom made remore control like the normal psp one but its designed to clip on the top to give the L2 and R2 feel im pretty sure it would be easy to make but i have sort of been expecting a company to bring one out.......anybody like this idea as i know buttons can be mapped to the remote so this would solve L2+R2 problems and i also think this could pass as an official accessory that sony could make in my opnion .....thoughts please:D

Good idea, but it's just too far fetched. I definently like it though :D
Sony wouldn't release one, and if they did, there would be too much complaint that it should have always either been out or the PSP should have had L and R 2. But if an official one did come out, it would be like admitting 'Ok, we were wrong.. Shouldv'e always been like this'. And they don't like to do that, heh.
Very innovative though, I like it ;) They'ed just count as the remote buttons your saying.

DPyro
September 28th, 2006, 01:49
You could probably make your own hardware mod, that plugs into the controller/sound :)

mavsman4457
September 28th, 2006, 01:55

I was thinking for a while that Sony would and should come out with a mod like this that also has a right analog stick that plugs into the usb port. Good idea!

FrozenIpaq
September 28th, 2006, 02:03
I still have my doubts about this.. Seriously, are you all blinded by Wraggster's hype? Please take the time to realize that if this does work, it may run at the same speed at yoshihiro's. Unless solid proof can be given, I'm taking this as fake

AtariFreek
September 28th, 2006, 02:04
I CANT WAIT TO PLAY DRIVER ON MY PSP!!! And OMG FF7 eeeeeeeee!!!!! WOOHOO!!! On the button issue, just use combinations, so right on pad=right R+righ on dpad=right analog right

dj2005
September 28th, 2006, 02:07
I still have my doubts about this.. Seriously, are you all blinded by Wraggster's hype? Please take the time to realize that if this does work, it may run at the same speed at yoshihiro's. Unless solid proof can be given, I'm taking this as fake
I highly doubt that Wragg is hyping it up that much as I don't see the extra traffic worth ruining his reputation.

**1_Man_Matrix**
September 28th, 2006, 02:10

Wraggster has earned hyping right far beyond any as far I'm concerned. I see no reason to doubt him whatsoever. It's his domain? Why ruin it's reputation and lead us astray? Never has before.
As for the speed issue... Atleast there prob won't be any GPL problems :p
I understand your concern though... We might get fudged over, but I'm going positive and optimistic on this one :D

Oops
September 28th, 2006, 02:11
Please forgive my ignorance, my English is not native: what's a hobo ? Besides, his way of avoiding fame reminds me Exophase's one and I hope things will turn out same way: a new nice and skilled coder with a high quakity emu hehehe.

kcajblue
September 28th, 2006, 02:12
There should be a BIG speed boost when the GPU is fully converted to HW too.Awesome!!! :D

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 02:13
I highly doubt that Wragg is hyping it up that much as I don't see the extra traffic worth ruining his reputation.

What ruining his reputation? He doesn't specifically say anything is fullspeed, he avoids saying anything about speed at all, only talking about compatability, so he's not lying, he's just not correcting people who are interpreting "fully playable" as fullspeed.

Oops: a hobo is a homeless person who travels from place to place begging and may or may not attempt to find small jobs.

stotheamuel
September 28th, 2006, 02:14
Oh wraggster... you can tell them it's me now. :p lol

dj2005
September 28th, 2006, 02:17
What ruining his reputation? He doesn't specifically say anything is fullspeed, he avoids saying anything about speed at all, only talking about compatability, so he's not lying, he's just not correcting people who are interpreting "fully playable" as fullspeed.

Oops: a hobo is a homeless person who travels from place to place begging and may or may not attempt to find small jobs.
Uh, I said I DOUBT he would hype it up and ruin his rep.

DeeDub
September 28th, 2006, 02:28
I think remaining an anonymous coder is actually quite a good idea... Then Sony's laywers will have noone in particular they can go after once they realise a free emulator is in circulation that does exactly what they are hyping up for their download service.

I have an idea for the button mapping also. How about each game being tied to a corresponding config file? When you map the buttons with a non-default configuration, the emulator generates the config. For example ISOX.iso is coupled with ISOX.cfg for the button mapping. This way we could create a database online of all the games people have mapped to best suit each title, and we could grab them as we need them without having to remap them ourselves!

**1_Man_Matrix**
September 28th, 2006, 02:30
Were not idiots.

We are not blind worshippers bowing down to some crazy zealot. (Sorry, got RE4 last night... friggen' sweet!).

We're just excited about the information we've been given, by a very reliable source. A source that gets excited and disappointed along with the rest of us when things happen, or don't.

Like I said, I'm staying optimistic :D

EDIT: Individual cfg profiles for each game seem to be the general consensus (That how you spell it?)! lol :rolleyes:

Oops
September 28th, 2006, 02:30
a hobo is a homeless person who travels from place to place begging and may or may not attempt to find small jobs.

Oh I see, thanks. Maybe before the end of the year my post count will grow over 10 :D.

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 02:38
Uh, I said I DOUBT he would hype it up and ruin his rep.

Yes, I know.

YourStillWithMe
September 28th, 2006, 02:45
Does this emulator have sound wraggster? I bet the coder is either strmnmm, Fanjita, Dark Alex, Booster or Yoshiro no doubt there the only ones keeping the psp scene alive hats off to you all.

I'm very pumped Where are my FFVIII fans!!!?

Not Final Fantasy 7 ff8 FFVII is VERY overrated, good game but overrated

psychadelicious
September 28th, 2006, 02:45
Please forgive my ignorance, my English is not native: what's a hobo ? Besides, his way of avoiding fame reminds me Exophase's one and I hope things will turn out same way: a new nice and skilled coder with a high quakity emu hehehe.

A hobo is short for homeless person.

pkmaximum
September 28th, 2006, 02:46
Great, I can't wait till this is released to the public. Thanks for the news Wraggster =D

nyrtrublue
September 28th, 2006, 02:48

Wraggsters word is golden what he says goes if he says its amazing its amzing...follow?

nyrtrublue
September 28th, 2006, 02:54
Does this emulator have sound wraggster? I bet the coder is either strmnmm, Fanjita, Dark Alex, Booster or Yoshiro no doubt there the only ones keeping the psp scene alive hats off to you all.

Dont rule out NJ, PMF,Zx or maybe even a coder new to the scene. You may think its unlikely but look at exophase.

And imagine yoshi set up the first emu as a joke cause everyone said it was fake and then bang he popped out the real one...lol...not

Spider_Loc
September 28th, 2006, 02:57
sweet

M!ckeY
September 28th, 2006, 02:59
i can't wait for this emulator :)

DPyro
September 28th, 2006, 03:01
The coder is new...

dagger89
September 28th, 2006, 03:09
Or is an old coder under a new name??? hmmmm..... And what about FF:IX? VII and VIII are too overrated...

And about the controller, why not use the button combo Select+Home to switch between the L and R 1, and L and R 2?....

Or holding the trigger for a certain time....

Jpdeathblade
September 28th, 2006, 03:12
I think the AC (ie Hobo) should work on compatability and speed and keep sound for last. I can live without sound.

Lol the PSP ep of South Park is on now =P

phenikx
September 28th, 2006, 03:13
this emu will be great.................i love my psp but now i love it more :D

Muhu
September 28th, 2006, 03:20
this emu will be great.................i love my psp but now i love it more :D
Same here.
P.S. Welcome to the forums!

SSaxdude
September 28th, 2006, 03:28
This will be awesome!

stotheamuel
September 28th, 2006, 03:28
Wraggsters word is golden what he says goes if he says its amazing its amzing...follow?

wow thats an amazing ass kissing skill you got there huh?

raphabot
September 28th, 2006, 03:33
i want it!

sroon
September 28th, 2006, 03:33
LOL i know who it iz!
u know Sniper?
well this will be awsome!
AND IT IZ REAL BELIVE ME!

( O ) ( O )

M!ckeY
September 28th, 2006, 03:34
this will also make me love my psp even more...i thnik it's going to have little psp's:eek:

ccdelta
September 28th, 2006, 03:35
A lot of people seem to like the completely customizable button scheme, which is a wonderful option. I just wish I could remember how many console-based games actually gave you that choice. Most "good" games gave you a choice of 2 to 3 right handed configuration, and a couple of left-handed configurations.

Being left handed myself, I am partial towards the idea above (I do not like the few games I've played where only a single configuration was offered). While having a completely customizable scheme sounds great, I wonder about it's ease of implementation.

So from a left-hander's perspective, here is one possible suggestion:
- the analog stick be the "look around" control
- the X/O/[]/triangle buttons be for moving back/right/left/foward
- Let L & R be a default X and [] (would it be conceivable that a double-tap on L or R changes it's functionality to O and triangle until double tapped again?)
- The digital pad be as follows: left = L2, up = L3, right = R2, and down = R3.

Heck, after looking what I wrote, I think some of the suggestions are not too swift, but I wanted to provide you with a finite configuration scheme as a counterpoint to the "just let us map it however we want" point of view.

King of the Losers
September 28th, 2006, 03:37

FFVIII...best...game...ever

sroon
September 28th, 2006, 03:41
yeh ff8 iz the best! HORAY FER LONEWOLF SQUALL!!

( O ) ( O )

**1_Man_Matrix**
September 28th, 2006, 03:43
A lot of people seem to like the completely customizable button scheme, which is a wonderful option. I just wish I could remember how many console-based games actually gave you that choice. Most "good" games gave you a choice of 2 to 3 right handed configuration, and a couple of left-handed configurations.

Dude, that's the beauty of homebrew and emulators... You can make the game think your using certain buttons before you run it.

mavsman4457
September 28th, 2006, 03:43

Being left handed myself, I am partial towards the idea above (I do not like the few games I've played where only a single configuration was offered). While having a completely customizable scheme sounds great, I wonder about it's ease of implementation.

So from a left-hander's perspective, here is one possible suggestion:
- the analog stick be the "look around" control
- the X/O/[]/triangle buttons be for moving back/right/left/foward
- Let L & R be a default X and [] (would it be conceivable that a double-tap on L or R changes it's functionality to O and triangle until double tapped again?)
- The digital pad be as follows: left = L2, up = L3, right = R2, and down = R3.

Heck, after looking what I wrote, I think some of the suggestions are not too swift, but I wanted to provide you with a finite configuration scheme as a counterpoint to the "just let us map it however we want" point of view.

I don't understand how configurations can be left or right handed. Frankly, I didn't understand a word you said or understand any of your logic. I might just be stupid though. :) Welcome to the forums.

dagger89
September 28th, 2006, 04:00
yeh ff8 iz the best! HORAY FER LONEWOLF SQUALL!!

( O ) ( O )

FF9... FF8 was too boring... FF9 was a return to roots...

sroon
September 28th, 2006, 04:15
Yess il admit that FF9 iz more original but FF8 is my kinda style
Example: I love the gothic clothes and chains and swords and stuff!

( O ) ( O )

ccdelta
September 28th, 2006, 04:21
mavsman,

Thanks for the welcome to the forums. In some games, they give you multiple controller configurations with left-handed configurations often being identified as "Southpaw".

As an example, Star Wars Battlefront II (US release)has one configuration where the analog stick is for looking up/down/turn left/turn right (to me, a typical left-handed configuration), whereas the remaining configurations have the analog stick for moving forward/backward/sidestep left/sidestep left (what I consider to be a right-handed configuration).

Sorry for the confusion. I hope some part of what I said previously makes more sense.

Emeriastone
September 28th, 2006, 04:33
I would suggest:

1. - program the buttons as normally as possible, then
2. - use the psp music button (you know the music note) to toggle between the other buttons, i.e. r2 and 3 and l2 and 3, and the right hand analog stick.

UH BTW: Wraggster doesn't hype, ppl. He tells it straight up.

delirumhappy
September 28th, 2006, 04:38
I would suggest:

1. - program the buttons as normally as possible, then
2. - use the psp music button (you know the music note) to toggle between the other buttons, i.e. r2 and 3 and l2 and 3, and the right hand analog stick.

The PSP homebrew scene has overused the note button...

I suggest we wait on how Sony will map their buttons on their PS1 Emulator

Emeriastone
September 28th, 2006, 04:41
The PSP homebrew scene has overused the note button...

I suggest we wait on how Sony will map their buttons on their PS1 Emulator

And let Sony beat us to the punch?

PSP history shows that Sony takes ideas from homebrew.

I don't think I'd feel the same if we got our ideas from Sony instead of the otherway around.

pibs
September 28th, 2006, 04:57
kant wait till this comes out :)

btw nice sig emeria

porchemasi
September 28th, 2006, 05:03
all i want is ff7 which doesnt need l2 and r2 or the right anolouge

Lodis
September 28th, 2006, 05:05
Is there any reason to expect this emulator to run much faster than the one that was already released i.e psxp?

I am not sure about this, only time will tell.

BrooksyX
September 28th, 2006, 05:06
I cant wait for this to be released, it sounds like even at its current state that it is running well. I dont think buttons will be an issue with most games.

BL4Z3D247
September 28th, 2006, 05:17
Is there any reason to expect this emulator to run much faster than the one that was already released i.e psxp?

I am not sure about this, only time will tell.
yes there is, cuz psx-p is dead as far as i know and this emu is probably as fast as psx-p in it's current state that Wraggy has and it doesn't even have the dynarec implemented, so yes it will be faster than the already released psx-p

brainpan
September 28th, 2006, 05:30
I have not had time to read everyone else commments but I think Project64(or maybe a plugin for) handled button mapping really well by allowing users to configure buttons themselves, save it in a special config file, and load up whatever controller config they desired depending on the game.

For instance, I had a special config for Starfox64 which I saved a special Starfox64 button config for and loaded up whenever I played that particular game. I personally though it worked great. I think this coupled with some sort of option to map a particular button that when pressed in conjunction with another will act as a single button input. Example:
If I map the Triangle button to be my "toggle" button athen I map my toggle button+ L Button to be the L2 button. sorry if this is long winded but I think this would be th emost sensible of solutions.
The advantage of this would be that everyone would have the ability to map buttons in a way that is most confortable for them AND people can share button input configs online.

EDIT:
Ok, so I finally got around to reading most of the comments and a few people suggested making the "toggle" button one of the buttons directly below the lcd. This wont work for past paced games where quick reflexes are needed(Medal of Honor), sports titles, etc.

Let me say it one more time. Fully mappable controls with and optional(and mappable) "toggle" button. This will solve ALOT of headaches.

BTW I hope your reading this STRMNRMN:)

delirumhappy
September 28th, 2006, 06:28
And let Sony beat us to the punch?

PSP history shows that Sony takes ideas from homebrew.

I don't think I'd feel the same if we got our ideas from Sony instead of the otherway around.

What about the WLAN switch?

Flip it up to stay with R1 and L1
Push it down to activate R2 and L2

lplover2k
September 28th, 2006, 06:29

hmm i think Wraggster tried the emu if i am not wrong..so i dun think it's fake unless Wragster is playing april fool with use lolz :D

dagger89
September 28th, 2006, 06:43
What about the WLAN switch?

Flip it up to stay with R1 and L1
Push it down to activate R2 and L2

But then that would eliminate any adhoc play in the future... Sure, maybe it won't come out immediately (prolly w/i a year), but did u guys think we'd have adhoc SNES a year ago?...

Gene
September 28th, 2006, 07:06
But then that would eliminate any adhoc play in the future... Sure, maybe it won't come out immediately (prolly w/i a year), but did u guys think we'd have adhoc SNES a year ago?...

good point.

phenikx
September 28th, 2006, 07:41
Same here.
P.S. Welcome to the forums!

tnx 4 the welcome.........dcemu is a good site ull be seeing me 4 a long time...hehehe

rdetagle
September 28th, 2006, 08:06
What someone needs to do (after release, probably) is to code a cheat/remap config file, similar to CW CHEAT for devhook games. the latest version of that includes RemaPSP.

That way, we could get cheats and remapped buttons together!

consoul
September 28th, 2006, 08:30
But then that would eliminate any adhoc play in the future... Sure, maybe it won't come out immediately (prolly w/i a year), but did u guys think we'd have adhoc SNES a year ago?...I like your forethought.

Using the WLAN switch would also waste battery power, by uneccessarily powering up the PSP's wi-fi.

Broadus
September 28th, 2006, 08:36
Man, I can't wait for a full-speed PS1 emulator on the PSP! I want to play A FPS Medal of Honor portable-style. Besides that crappy Gameboy Advance one.

Obviously, like everyone has said already, key combinations and game-specific controller profiles could make up for missing buttons. I could already imagine what buttons I'd use to play Medal of Honor.

razorak
September 28th, 2006, 08:44
oh boy...i wanna use it..lol

dagger89
September 28th, 2006, 08:49
What about using the included headphone controller, like Team EEE's Quake 2?

benn
September 28th, 2006, 09:31
personalluy i think the eye incident is karma for withholding a quality emu from the unwashed masses ;)

i personalluy cannot wait for this emu. playing FF7 and Tactics on the go has been all i wanted since hearing about psp 2-3 yrs ago.

DrNicket
September 28th, 2006, 09:52
As much a fan of the FF franchise, I say this to be different: X-Com UFO Defense for me! I've been playing it on and off ever since I got the first computer capable of running it (and THAT is long time ago).

I agree with the custom button mapping option. When PacManFan was still in his 'it' days, I had worked out a few potentially ideal button mapping options but even then they wouldn't be ideal for all games, for all players. I say use every button that's available to you, including the remote (as an option for those that want it).
I'm considering modding an old PS1 controller to use the remote connection to add the handgrip and more buttons. (Thanks for the idea gamesquest1).

To our favourite AC of the week, Good luck to you.

LloydKansas
September 28th, 2006, 10:03
Definitely looking forward to this release, can't wait to give the PSX FF titles a whiz on the old boy (lol). Also looking forward to Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Resident Evil, Driver, Silent Hill (I love Silent Hill passionately), and hopefully even Legend of Legaia. Keep up the good work, and don't lose faith, you'll overcome the HW issues soon enough ^.^ As far as the controls, I agree with everyone else on being able to map your own stuff, seems like not only the most logical, but the quickest to mind as well, rather than racking your brain over a workable config.

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 10:05
I love how regardless of the scene, emulated device, or platform, every user thinks that the control layout is some sort of insurmountable task that the coder may not be able to grasp on their own. It's funny how that is.

jonezybaby
September 28th, 2006, 10:43
I say let every1 make there own buttons 4 games so each person can feel comfortable doin it as they like?

Sharpy
September 28th, 2006, 11:07
sounds totally awesome, I'd have to try the psx version of doom, resident evil and silent hill on there. For the key combinations an idea would be to map the controls to the exact buttons on the psp to ps1 itself but for l2 and r2 it could be a directional push on the analogue stick

DuRoLuRo
September 28th, 2006, 11:50
How about making a little mod, that lets you connect PS2 controller to the PSP, that way we wouldn´t have any problems with button-mapping:D

makes
September 28th, 2006, 12:04
you'll be able to bust out your rap skillz anywhere with parappa the rapper on psp!

and play some good rpgs too. :)

Wally
September 28th, 2006, 12:40
I reckon combinations wont work. Maybe taking advantage of the remote for l2 / R2 buttons??

Veskgar
September 28th, 2006, 13:13
As much a fan of the FF franchise, I say this to be different: X-Com UFO Defense for me!
YES! Another X-Com fan. I listed this game on another thread. I got this game in the summer of 96 for the PS1 after reading the great reviews it got. I was so addicted to the game. There was something about trying to capture those Alien motherf**kers alive so that experiments could be conducted to create more advanced technology. Loading times for the game on the PS1 sucked but that should be fixed by using an EMU.

This game should be really small in file size which I'm pretty psyched about. This was probably the most addicting turn-based strategy game for the PS1, second only to Final Fantasy Tactics.

My suggestion for the controls is this:

I prefer in a lot of games to use the analog nub for movement which would free up the D-Pad. If on the games that require L2 & R2 trigger buttons you could just activate L2 & R2 by hitting RIGHT on the D-Pad, that would be a fairly easy solution and would not really get in the way of gameplay. Alternatively, for those who don't want to sacrifice the D-Pad, tapping the sound key on the PSP could maybe activate/de-activate L2 & R2 triggers.

I think what I just suggested is the best solution regarding L2 & R2. What do you all think?

magixien
September 28th, 2006, 13:42
Don't forget to give all sources... lol

More seriouly, it is very interessing to see this project come out just one day after the polemic about PSx-P.

One week before first beta come out, so wait and see... :-)

mcvader
September 28th, 2006, 14:07
The Coder would probably have been a member of DcEmu as he obviously knows he can trust Wraggy enough to give him an exclusive Beta, He might have even posted on this thread!

The buttons won't be a problem at all as most games can be played with the original psx controller and don't use all of the buttons.

Wraggster, give us a proper review of the beta you've been playing this whole time:)

gamesquest1
September 28th, 2006, 14:16
well im going to try to make my idea of the remote control mod to make custom L2 and R2 buttons......i will also test these ith other games such as gta lcs using remapsp ill just have to get another psp remote as i dont want to break my original..and seing as im doing this ill also make a headphone and mic socket on it for use with the psp sound recorder.......wonder iff i will ever be arsed making it, i would just prefer a profesionaly made one

SiskoData
September 28th, 2006, 14:59
YES! Another X-Com fan. I listed this game on another thread. I got this game in the summer of 96 for the PS1 after reading the great reviews it got. I was so addicted to the game. There was something about trying to capture those Alien motherf**kers alive so that experiments could be conducted to create more advanced technology. Loading times for the game on the PS1 sucked but that should be fixed by using an EMU.

Just as an info as I used to love playing this game on the Amiga so I guess you can try it on the PSP with the Amiga emu

Yungblaqs
September 28th, 2006, 15:10
i can't wait for it to be released now!!!!

hurry up!!!

lastgift
September 28th, 2006, 15:14
ok im confused i was reading some of the other topics and i saw that quite a lot of people againts umd piracy .... and now an emulator is coming out soon wich probly uses psx iso's and u all think its great :s

Kramer
September 28th, 2006, 15:17
yeah its great because we can dump our own games and play them on our psp instead of upgrading and paying for games we alllready own.

lastgift
September 28th, 2006, 15:19
ok i was just getting mixed messages from ppl thx kramer

Shuin0
September 28th, 2006, 15:20
for the buttons how about you only make the games playable via the joystick and use the d-pad for other buttons? Or for the double triggers one tap on a trigger can be the a R1 and holding it in can be R2

gamesquest1
September 28th, 2006, 15:22
ok im confused i was reading some of the other topics and i saw that quite a lot of people againts umd piracy .... and now an emulator is coming out soon wich probly uses psx iso's and u all think its great :s
come on virtually every emulator uses game dumps which means people could download games i think this person might be joking making that as their first post look piracy happens... its up to you if you dont like it but how would you like it if you had to pay for all your games everytime you want to play them just incase you want to swap games with people so you get to play lots of games sounds silly but ppl dont want to pay for games they have already

hack.fool
September 28th, 2006, 15:37
my best button conf would be:
L = L
R = R
R2 = HOME+R
L2 = HOME+L

I CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!! o.O

valar
September 28th, 2006, 16:02
why can't sony just release a special usb adaptor where you can plug your dual shock in?

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 16:04

I don't know if this is in the rules yet, but I said this in another thread and it's going to be added to the rules:

The reason we allow the discussion [of psx backups] is that it's legal to make backups from your own copies as long as you are not circumventing any copy protection (reason we can't discuss dreamcast backup) and as long as you aren't modifying the data. [Age of the system is not a factor]

drock82
September 28th, 2006, 16:37
i wont mind paying for ps1 games because some of them i dont even have and some are even hard to find!the varios ps1 emulators no doubt will be more popular than sony official one since they didnt quite mention anything about rippin ya own game and putting it on memory stick-but anyways these are the games i would love to see working full speed!!

1. Resident evil:directors cut
2.tekken 3
3.tomb raider 1
4.metal gear solid
5.mega man legends
6.syphon filter 2
7.oddworld:abe's oddessey
8.fear effect
9.twisted metal
10.resident evil 2

valar
September 28th, 2006, 16:51
i'l like to play einhander,rtype delta,raiden dx,fftactics,ff7,omega boost,tekken 3,re2,abe,tenchu1,rival schools...

porchemasi
September 28th, 2006, 17:11
Pleaseee We Need Ff7 To Be Fully Playable With Sound At 30fps Focus On Ff7 :)))))))

We All Know The Reason We Want A Ps1 Emu Is For Ff7!

bullhead
September 28th, 2006, 17:11
For R2 and L2 I would be content with:
R2=Right on the D-pad
L2=Left on the D-pad

porchemasi
September 28th, 2006, 17:13
my best button conf would be:
L = L
R = R
R2 = HOME+R
L2 = HOME+L

I CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!! o.O

SUM TIMES U NEED A FINGER ON THE DIRECTIONAL PAD PLUS L2-R2 i suggest X + L=L2

Mr.Denny
September 28th, 2006, 17:23
Whilst i think about it remembering that the PSone has a lot of buttons, what do all you DCEmu Members think would be the best way to get all the buttons on the PSP?

answers via comments

That`s a tricky one. I assume the only buttons your missing is R2 and L2?. What if the user pressed L twice quickly to activate the L2 button?. Other than that i`m not quite sure. Still, not many games used all the buttons i think.

Best of luck though, you truly seem like a nice fellow. :)

delirumhappy
September 28th, 2006, 17:44
That`s a tricky one. I assume the only buttons your missing is R2 and L2?. What if the user pressed L twice quickly to activate the L2 button?. Other than that i`m not quite sure. Still, not many games used all the buttons i think.

A tricky one indeed...

spurs_fan
September 28th, 2006, 17:50
i wonder how sony is going to resolve this problem with their emu

Apoklepz
September 28th, 2006, 17:50
I wonder if it will support custom made multi-isos....for example, I made one a long time ago that had Ehrgeiz, Tekken 3, and Marvel Vs. Capcom...I still play it everynow and then on my modded PSone console, and on my Laptop PSP emulator.

dejkirkby
September 28th, 2006, 17:52

What about if you need to press both L or both R buttons? None of these maps will work!

SteveV2
September 28th, 2006, 17:54
Keep the buttons on the psp as they are in relation to the PSX pad, just using the volumes - + for L2 and R2 and adjust the volume via the menu (on a scale of 1-20, or a sliding bar).

potatoman
September 28th, 2006, 17:56
i think that left should be l2 and right should be r2
(analougue controls movement)

dejkirkby
September 28th, 2006, 18:07
Steve V2 that's probably the best idea so far.

ste
September 28th, 2006, 18:20
Awesome News!

I'm thinking profiles for each game!
Let us find a way to make them work, then save them as individual configs for each game.

Or...

If I remember right, the PS1 didn't use the d-pad and the left-stick at the same time, so maybe have up and down on the d-pad L3 and R3 and have left and right on the d-pad L2 and L3.

:D perhaps...

This is the answer I believe......

YourStillWithMe
September 28th, 2006, 19:20
I think that the analog left should be l2 and the analog right should be R2 or the same thing but w the d pad i dont plan on using the directional buttons for any ps1 games. . .

and no one is answering my question does this freakin thing have sound!!!!!!!!??????

Mr.Denny
September 28th, 2006, 19:24
I believe it does

However, i`m not 100% certain

enekomh
September 28th, 2006, 19:31
I'd prefer using the analog pad as controler and use the cross buttons for other things (remember that not all the PSPs have the cross diagonals working correctly).
In the previous version I think they said it didn't have sound so I don't think it has yet... Sincerely, I don't care for sound as long as games work smooth (even though games like Final Fantasy Saga or Metal Gear Solid would look a bit strange).

NeoXCS
September 28th, 2006, 21:44
Wraggy
A few things i didnt mention earlier theres no sound at the mo or wasnt for me anyway and although games are working perfectly they arent yet full speed although some are very good.

This is still on the front page but here is a link so you can go to the thread from here if you like. :) http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37098

This should answer speed and sound questions! :)

magixien
September 28th, 2006, 22:00
full speed ort not ? sound or no sound ?

NeoXCS
September 28th, 2006, 23:27
full speed ort not ? sound or no sound ?

Just read above magixien, it's not full speed yet and there is no sound. ;)