PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: PS3 Connect and PSP Connectivity Tidbits

wraggster
September 28th, 2006, 18:11
Via Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/rumor-ps3-connect--and-psp-connectivity-tidbits-203870.php)

An EB Games employee sends word that the company, in conjunction with Sony, has launched a training website that is meant to get their sales people up to speed on all the Playstation 3 has to offer.

Most of the information on the site is already known, but there are a few tid-bits of note. First the page has this to say about PSP connectivity with the PS3:

The HDD will become a storage space for the massive amounts of media you will be sharing with your PSP (movies, music, TV shows, game content.).
That's right, they list TV shows, music and movies, which has me hoping that the PS3 will have the ability to stream television, music and movies directly to your PSP live over WiFi. That would be sooooo sweet.

There's also a bit on the site about Sony's online service for the PS3. Something we know next to nothing about.

Unfortunately, the information is presented in a laundry list. Instead of trying to figure it out and risk getting it wrong, I'm just going to present it here.

_PS3 ONLINE_ • *Communication/Community:* • *Voice/Video Chat* • *Messaging* • *Lobby/Matchmaking* • *Score/Ranking* • *Friend List/Avatar* • *Game data upload/download
• *Commerce: *
• *Shop (accessible from inside games)*
• *Content download*
• *Micro payment*
• *Subscription*
• *Entitlement (user access rights) management

A couple of things pop out to me. It sounds like it's going to offer just about everything that the Xbox 360's Live offers, though it's not clear what the interface will be like. I'm not too happy about that word subscription in that second batch of descriptors. And why are they calling Entitilements "user access rights"? I thought they were supposed to be like achievments, or did I miss something?

Well Sony only has a month and a half left to explain PSP conncectivity and PS3 online to us. I expect the info to hit something in the next few weeks.

Facho
September 28th, 2006, 19:24
The online service is the last thing Sony can mess up. If
they do mess up, it will be a clear advantage for the 360.