PDA

View Full Version : 0x89 PSP Dev News

wraggster
September 30th, 2006, 10:13
Some news from the 0x89 team regarding the Shell for PSP they are working on:

Finally... i have some good news to tell. :)
Yes, i know its been nearly a month since ive posted news, but anyway...
I received a prototype touchscreen overlay the other day and i am currently building an adapter for it.
Now onto 0x89.
I have been told by Raphael that he has nearly finished the video player and in its current state it can play 480x272 avi, mpeg and wma at full speed!
I have also been informed by Insomniac that his image viewer and music player are also nearly finished, but he is still working on a few codecs.
I will contact them both to see if they can get PMF, AT3, VAG and FLAC codecs in them.

So, right now the codecs/file types are...
Video: avi, mpeg, wma, pmp, avc, divx.
Music: mp3, ogg.

We still need a final GUI design... but i really hope that is finished soon, ill have to contact zettablade. (different timezones)
We also need to play around with the prxs, as we intend to flash 0x89 directly to flash0 and store configuration files (xml) and themes etc on flash1, this way if only one prx needs updating its a lot easier for us.

This is how it currently stands, we hope to include more. Also, another little thing i might work on (with help from Dark_AleX and Mathieulh) is 2.xx UMD loading from 0x89 with only the 2.xx kernel and needed prxs, but we will see.

Hope you enjoy reading!

More Info (http://0x89.org/index2.php)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 30th, 2006, 10:19
Man sounds awsome cant wait for this a new flashable shell/os to replace $ony's piece of crap.

jak66
September 30th, 2006, 10:26
*drools over psp with better XMB* this is so unfair,first wraggy teases us with ps1p, and now we get this
hopefull this will be done soon, cant wait

Mr. Shizzy
September 30th, 2006, 10:47
Yes, I have been dreaming of this shell. HarleyG and his team are incredible coders! :D I've been following these projects closley. Here is HarleyG's official website:

http://0x89.org/

The one feature that's on my wishlist (an XMB that supports .gif wallpaper - which would basically give us moving wallpapers) , sadley does not seem to be planned for this release. But, who knows, maybe if HarleyG reads this, the idea will interest him. Or maybe it will someday be included as an update. But that's just a small thought of mine. 0x89 looks like an amazing shell, and I can't wait to try it! :D

notaforumtroll
September 30th, 2006, 10:49
Ohhh f**k!!! this is gonna be soooo good!
i really have my hopes up more for this
than an ps1 emu at full speed ^_^

ExcruciationX
September 30th, 2006, 11:00
Look's cool! :D

segis666
September 30th, 2006, 11:03
Look's like gread news :D
im looking forward for the release :)

mr_nick666
September 30th, 2006, 11:21
Man sounds awsome cant wait for this a new flashable shell/os to replace $ony's piece of crap.

/\ /\ Interesting idea.. :rolleyes:

This does sound really nice - cant wait to be able to try it :eek:

aries2k4
September 30th, 2006, 13:53
It is amazing what the homebrew scene does for the psp. looking forward to the release of this project.

Nikolaos
September 30th, 2006, 14:20
holy shizzle look at the codecs these guys are putting in!! ima shat my pants!!! o.O!

smith1
September 30th, 2006, 15:56
It doesn't replace the shell, just so you know. It just autostarts like with the custom firmware autostart homebrew.

I also don't see why people think the PSP's XMB is so bad. It's perfect for on the go stuff. It looks decent, too.

jak66
September 30th, 2006, 16:04
It doesn't replace the shell, just so you know. It just autostarts like with the custom firmware autostart homebrew.
This is a XMB replacement so yeah, it does replace the shell
just go here an read for yourself what HarleyG said this is
http://0x89.org/forum/index.php?topic=16.0

smith1
September 30th, 2006, 16:15
This is a XMB replacement so yeah, it does replace the shell
just go here an read for yourself what HarleyG said this is
http://0x89.org/forum/index.php?topic=16.0
And yet you can boot straight back to the XMB with the push of a button. A glorious replacement that is. It's just an autoboot like the custom firmware. Want to experience the x089 feeling? Set irshell to autoboot and viola!

jak66
September 30th, 2006, 16:19
And yet you can boot straight back to the XMB with the push of a button.
Where does it say that? it does say that you can return to 1.5 but it doesnt say that you can return to the xmb with the push of a button

smith1
September 30th, 2006, 16:21
0x89 is a XMB replacement that is currently being developed. It will replace the old XMB, however, allowing you to return to the old one simply by holding a button.It's not a replacement for the XMB any more than me holding a piece of paper over another piece of paper and calling that a replacement. It's just autoloaded on PSP boot, like the custom firmware will do.

jak66
September 30th, 2006, 16:46
ok i see your point, can you link where it says '0x89 is a XMB replacement that is currently being developed. It will replace the old XMB, however, allowing you to return to the old one simply by holding a button.' as i couldnt find that part
and going by your examples custom firmware is a picture (XMB) being coloured in (custom fw) and 0x89 is a seperate picture (0x89) that is an extention of the other picture (XMB)
as that was really confusing hopefully this isnt as confusing, custom firmware runs over the top of the XMB but 0x89 will run seperate from XMB, but can be change from one to the other

Freshmilk
September 30th, 2006, 16:50
this is great news, can't wait for this :D

dejkirkby
September 30th, 2006, 16:57
Looks good!
dejkirkby loves choice!

DPyro
September 30th, 2006, 17:06

I also don't see why people think the PSP's XMB is so bad. It's perfect for on the go stuff. It looks decent, too.
And Sony's XMB doesnt autoboot? :rolleyes:

Gene
September 30th, 2006, 18:21
sounds nifty.

mavsman4457
September 30th, 2006, 18:24
This is going to be so sweet and I just thought of an idea, although it may require too much memory on the flash. Sony is going to have their emulator built in to the xmb so why not do the same thing here? Originally I was thinking that if PS1 ISO's could be loaded straight from the XMB then that would be awesome but now I am thinking, why limit it to PS1 games? Make other systems bootable from the XMB also. Also it would be awesome to be able to make DVD ISO's and play them on your PSP so you have the same features as the DVD.

F9zDark
September 30th, 2006, 18:36
They want to write this to flash0? Sounds awesome, but very risky... Sounds like something for the Modchip really. Now if they made this dev hook compatible(read: insert the files into the flash0 directory of a Devhook firmware folder) that would be sweet as hell; coupled with the boot selector (I believe there was one released for devhook) this could be a 'safer', no mod-chip necessary option.

I certainly love the media features so far. Sounds like the dream shell :).

smith1
September 30th, 2006, 19:18
And Sony's XMB doesnt autoboot? :rolleyes:Not in the way that 0x89 will be :rolleyes:.
ok i see your point, can you link where it says '0x89 is a XMB replacement that is currently being developed. It will replace the old XMB, however, allowing you to return to the old one simply by holding a button.' as i couldnt find that part
and going by your examples custom firmware is a picture (XMB) being coloured in (custom fw) and 0x89 is a seperate picture (0x89) that is an extention of the other picture (XMB)
as that was really confusing hopefully this isnt as confusing, custom firmware runs over the top of the XMB but 0x89 will run seperate from XMB, but can be change from one to the otherhttp://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-0x89-psp-xmb-replacement-60920.html

It's just going to be another irshell or whatever when it's done, if even that and if it's ever finished.

They want to write this to flash0? Sounds awesome, but very risky... Sounds like something for the Modchip really. Now if they made this dev hook compatible(read: insert the files into the flash0 directory of a Devhook firmware folder) that would be sweet as hell; coupled with the boot selector (I believe there was one released for devhook) this could be a 'safer', no mod-chip necessary option.

I certainly love the media features so far. Sounds like the dream shell .There's no reason for it to be included with Devhook as it'll just be an eboot, but with the files needed to run on flash0/1 instead of the memory stick.

mavsman4457
September 30th, 2006, 19:46
It's not just going to be like IR shell. You need to research it more. It will have all the feaures of the xmb, changing settings, connecting to assecc points, etc., plus a more appealing look and the ability to play more types of media. Sony will be embarrassed when this comes out.

tophead420
September 30th, 2006, 19:54
Uhh people this is not a shell lol its an XMB replacement lmao but anyways iv benn waiting on this a long time and its really nice to hears news of it i cant wait till the first release and keep it up guys cant wait

smith1
September 30th, 2006, 19:59
/me lols.

K, keep putting that veil over your eyes.

kayhanbakid
September 30th, 2006, 20:23
I wonder at what clockspeed it will play movie files. The other media player that's out plays avi's and mpg's very well but it runs at 333mhz. So you can watch a movie in perfect quality but after that you're basically out of batteries. I use it a lot none the less.

jak66
September 30th, 2006, 20:23
well, from what i read in the first post (i really couldnt be bothered to read past first page) itll load this 'shell' as default XMB, unless you hold a button while booting (like autoboot eboot in custom firmware) then itll load Sonys XMB

F9zDark
October 1st, 2006, 04:37
There's no reason for it to be included with Devhook as it'll just be an eboot, but with the files needed to run on flash0/1 instead of the memory stick.

I never said include it in devhook; I said give us a means to install the shell into devhook's firmware folders to test it without having to write to flash. Writing to flash is extremely unsafe and even though there is a modchip that can undo this, its costly and hard to install.

pkmaximum
October 1st, 2006, 05:17
I can't wait when this is released. I was always waiting for a decent replacement home brew Shell. IR Shell almost fulfilled my desires. But not quite. I want something with a mouse, movie player with more codecs and such

And this definetly fulfills that. I hope its released soon though -_-

F9zDark
October 1st, 2006, 05:47
I wonder how things like codecs are handled. A modular design would allow anyone to add new features without having to reinvent the wheel or even recompile the program. It does make it more complex, but easier in the long run.

It would be awesome to have IRkeyboard support and text reading and writing, maybe even a PDF viewer. It could bring the PSP the glory that Sony intended but was too stupid to do from the beginning.

I hope there is support for both WMA and WMV (says WMA under video, so I don't know which is right). Since anyone who uses a Windows PC to rip their cds is left with files in WMA format, which is nice for 2.71 firmwares, but I do not really like going into devhook just to listen to my WMAs.

IndianCheese
October 1st, 2006, 06:49
If you released an alpha now, would it be usable at all?
Does the AVI include DivX?
Will it be able to load ISOs or Lua Scripts directly from the menu?
Will nearly all graphical settings be customizable (boot video, start-up greeting, background effects, menu title names, etc.)
Is the internet browser going to be from scratch or just a loaded "NETFRONT.PRX"?
Will it be able to block system updates?

unit999cn
October 1st, 2006, 07:03
Some news from the 0x89 team regarding the Shell for PSP they are working on:

Finally... i have some good news to tell. :)
Yes, i know its been nearly a month since ive posted news, but anyway...
I received a prototype touchscreen overlay the other day and i am currently building an adapter for it.
Now onto 0x89.
I have been told by Raphael that he has nearly finished the video player and in its current state it can play 480x272 avi, mpeg and wma at full speed!
I have also been informed by Insomniac that his image viewer and music player are also nearly finished, but he is still working on a few codecs.
I will contact them both to see if they can get PMF, AT3, VAG and FLAC codecs in them.

So, right now the codecs/file types are...
Video: avi, mpeg, wma, pmp, avc, divx.
Music: mp3, ogg.

We still need a final GUI design... but i really hope that is finished soon, ill have to contact zettablade. (different timezones)
We also need to play around with the prxs, as we intend to flash 0x89 directly to flash0 and store configuration files (xml) and themes etc on flash1, this way if only one prx needs updating its a lot easier for us.

This is how it currently stands, we hope to include more. Also, another little thing i might work on (with help from Dark_AleX and Mathieulh) is 2.xx UMD loading from 0x89 with only the 2.xx kernel and needed prxs, but we will see.

Hope you enjoy reading!

More Info (http://0x89.org/index2.php)
OMG!!!That's great!!!:D

stJimmy
October 1st, 2006, 13:02
HAHAHA sony have been owned by homebrew!

Cant wait for the release!

smith1
October 1st, 2006, 15:15
I never said include it in devhook; I said give us a means to install the shell into devhook's firmware folders to test it without having to write to flash. Writing to flash is extremely unsafe and even though there is a modchip that can undo this, its costly and hard to install.Or you could politely ask them to release a version that loads from the memory stick instead of flash. I really don't know why they're having it from load from flash instead of the memory stick, there's absolutely no need to. Maybe to make it seem more mythical! Yea, that's it :D.

pkmaximum
October 1st, 2006, 17:00
Well I believe their completley trying to replace the XMB in the PSP. With their own OS. So that is why they plan to flash it to the PSP. But if you have custom firmware. I don't see why you can't just set it, so you hold "X" and it auto loads to that homebrew. Because no matter what I still kind of like the SONY XMB. But if this is really as good as they claim, I may like it more.

smith1
October 1st, 2006, 19:25
Well I believe their completley trying to replace the XMB in the PSP. With their own OS. So that is why they plan to flash it to the PSP. But if you have custom firmware. I don't see why you can't just set it, so you hold "X" and it auto loads to that homebrew. Because no matter what I still kind of like the SONY XMB. But if this is really as good as they claim, I may like it more.If they completely replaced it, then you shouldn't be able to load the XMB by holding a button. They're only flashing some files to make it seem more like a replacement, when it's not.

pkmaximum
October 2nd, 2006, 02:04
Umm check my post again, I said they shouldn't have to flash it to your PSP. But if you have custom firmware, you can set up your txt file so that you can hold x to load up a selected eboot at start up.

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 16:44
I really hope they have standard eboot format because I do not really want to write to flash...

With such great features it would suck if they only released a flash0/flash1 version.

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 16:57
If they completely replaced it, then you shouldn't be able to load the XMB by holding a button. They're only flashing some files to make it seem more like a replacement, when it's not.

From Harleyg on the 0x89 forums:

It replaces the Sony XMB.

http://0x89.org/forum/index.php?topic=78.msg862#msg862

So it does indeed replace the XMB and new PRXs are written to flash to handle the shell's new features.

This is really looking bad for some of us who want just a traditional shell :(

dejkirkby
October 2nd, 2006, 16:59
The big problem will come if people don't like to use the new shell. Will there be a way back?

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 17:33
Yeah, harleyg said there is a way back.

dejkirkby
October 2nd, 2006, 17:34
Then I'm gonna try it when it's released.

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 18:22
I might give it a shot, so long as there are no reports of brickage. As I said, writing to flash is tricky business. Fonts and some customized firmware aren't so bad, but replacing the entire XMB with a new Shell just begs for trouble.

I hope it does work because it will pave the way for other XMB replacements, maybe someday, even Linux.

smith1
October 2nd, 2006, 22:28
From Harleyg on the 0x89 forums:

http://0x89.org/forum/index.php?topic=78.msg862#msg862

So it does indeed replace the XMB and new PRXs are written to flash to handle the shell's new features.

This is really looking bad for some of us who want just a traditional shell :(Those prxs could go straight to the memory stick, like they should, and it'd function all the same. He's not replacing the XMB at all, he's just using a method similar, if not the same, as the customized firmware thing to autoboot it.

Besides, just because he says it replaces the XMB doesn't mean it does. I could say the sky is red, but that doesn't make it so.

If you can boot right back into the XMB with the push of a button, then he's replaced nothing.

I might give it a shot, so long as there are no reports of brickage. As I said, writing to flash is tricky business. Fonts and some customized firmware aren't so bad, but replacing the entire XMB with a new Shell just begs for trouble.

I hope it does work because it will pave the way for other XMB replacements, maybe someday, even Linux.He's not overwriting the XMB. He's not replacing it. He's just autobooting an eboot that draws its files from flash0. Like the devhook thing. If you flash the devhook files to flash0, are you necessarily replacing your 1.5 firmware? No. They're just there to load the devhooked firmware faster. That isn't necessary for this homebrew 0x89 as if it fits in flash1, then there's no way its size is big enough to see a long load.

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 00:26
I got you word from the Lead Developer and Project Leader's mouth about it replacing the XMB, so I'd think he means that he is indeed replacing the XMB.

He said that anyone can 'go back' to 1.5 if they wish. This indicates to me that he means there is indeed an uninstall feature.

If you read the 0x89 forums you will see clearly that he intends on replacing the XMB with his shell. That it won't be a 'customized firmware' per se, but nearly an entire overhaul of the 1.5 firmware and XMB.

More proof from the same thread:

Rabbit: "Custom Firmware"s out today are really just very simple mods. 0x89 is a vastly superior and more complicated mod. Nothing is a custom firmware or a firmware replacement. 0x89 still needs a Sony firmware to work. What it's doing is removing the XMB (the menu system you're on when you quit to home or boot without a UMD), and replacing it with a better, custom-made one, which can be updated independently of the firmware so that features and improvements can be made to it without altering how programs behave. IE: homebrew won't need to be recompiled for a different firmware every time 0x89 gets an update. In fact, homebrew [probably] won't need to be recompiled at all with the 0x89 mod.

harleyg: Correct.
Atleast someone understands. Tongue

saggar: is there a possibility, that since 0x89 is on Flash, that someone could have it installed, then upgrade there psp firmware, and keep 0x89 on the flash?

harleyg: No.

If the XMB was never replaced, then someone could just install the update and have 0x89 files left alone. But since it actually REPLACES the XMB, once an update is applied it will overwrite all of the files that 0x89 replaced with its own, with Sony Update files and may even resort with a brick.

So I think the evidence is quite clear (aside from the sentence "it will replace the Sony XMB") that the XMB is indeed being replaced by 0x89.

smith1
October 3rd, 2006, 01:28
So I think the evidence is quite clear (aside from the sentence "it will replace the Sony XMB") that the XMB is indeed being replaced by 0x89.Whatever. You can't simply remove the XMB and use your own. The PSP doesn't work like that. The PSP is not something you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes.

I don't even know why I'm arguing over this as 0x89 will never be finished.

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 02:35
Whatever. You can't simply remove the XMB and use your own. The PSP doesn't work like that. The PSP is not something you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes.

I don't even know why I'm arguing over this as 0x89 will never be finished.

What the hell are you talking about? Flash contains files, which can be overwritten, deleted, or repaired with the right tools. If the XMB couldn't be removed or altered then flash wouldn't be as troublesome as it is.

The true Trojan.Bricker actually erased all the files in Flash0 (XMB files, PRXs, everything) leaving people with a $250 paper weight. Another example of this was back in the day when the PSP was in its infancy in the US and homebrew was first discovered, Sony put up a fake updater on their site (probably testing the feature site wise and the PSP's built in network update feature). Some wise folks over at PS2dev.org found it, installed it and were left with bricks, because the update wrote files to flash, but some weren't right or were corrupted.

If what was in the flash couldn't be altered, removed, or changed, then

1)We wouldn't have the option to update, since it would be impossible

2)We wouldn't have to worry about writing to flash, since we couldn't!

You really need to do some research man...

pkmaximum
October 3rd, 2006, 02:40
I just wish we could have some what of an idea, when this is going to be released. The whole idea behind this sounds really awsome =D

M!ckeY
October 3rd, 2006, 02:41
@smith1
many users here have told yo that it will repalce the XMB, and they have even given links....yet you still continue with saying that it will not replace it. Dude, get your facts straight, or shut up.

DeeDub
October 3rd, 2006, 06:13
This sounds great!

I would love AAC to be inplemented as well... most of my music is in this format!

pibs
October 3rd, 2006, 06:20
yup i need a new shell, im currently still confused with the one from right now lol

smith1
October 3rd, 2006, 20:04
1)We wouldn't have the option to update, since it would be impossibleUpdate formats the flash0 partition and then write the new firmware files to it. It doesn't matter how much you've added to it, as it'll just be deleted.

2)We wouldn't have to worry about writing to flash, since we couldn't!I never said you couldn't write to flash0, I said you can't remove the XMB without bricking the PSP. Learn to read, thanks!

You really need to do some research man...How about you do the research and reading? Thanks.

It's obvious you're all brain-washed by harleyg's XMB replacement words, which it really doesn't. I'm not the only person who knows this, btw. There are many high-level developers who know this and voice it in more respectable forums, such as PSPU's.

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 20:13
PSPUpdates is far from being a respectable and reputable source of information. The fact that you even said such proves to me that you are a fool beyond any doubt and that any proof you may have had in substantiating your claim is now completely nullified.

The fact remains, the XMB can be altered. Custom firmwares, font packs and new backgrounds all alter the XMB. If the XMB can be altered, whole or in part, it can be replaced.

If you do not wish to believe so, that is your choice. But considering that harleyg was the first to make a custom firmware, I'd think he'd know alot more about it than you. And to reiterate my point above, you believe that PSPUpdates is a respectable forum, which that in and of itself proves that you know jack shit about the PSP and the Homebrew scene.

smith1
October 3rd, 2006, 20:25
PSPUpdates is far from being a respectable and reputable source of information. The fact that you even said such proves to me that you are a fool beyond any doubt and that any proof you may have had in substantiating your claim is now completely nullified.Hah. And that response shows you're a complete fool.

The fact remains, the XMB can be altered. Custom firmwares, font packs and new backgrounds all alter the XMB. If the XMB can be altered, whole or in part, it can be replaced.Er, you know the custom firmware is an extremely simple modification that doesn't change the XMB or firmware at all? It simply renames one file, vshmain.prx and then loads another in its place. The thing is, though, the new one, once its done its job, loads the original vshmain.prx. The XMB and firmware itself is unaffected, there is no change to it.

If you do not wish to believe so, that is your choice. But considering that harleyg was the first to make a custom firmware, I'd think he'd know alot more about it than you. And to reiterate my point above, you believe that PSPUpdates is a respectable forum, which that in and of itself proves that you know jack shit about the PSP and the Homebrew scene.Er, Dark_AleX made the first custom firmware. harleyg simply added a few more options to it. Link to Dark_AleX's thread on it. (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=24450)

Cloudhunter
October 3rd, 2006, 21:41
If files can be altered, they can be replaced. Simple as that.

harleyg knows what he is doing.

In a way, the firmware is just a Operating system, Admittedly totally specialised, but just like Windows is. But yet Windows can be Replaced with Linux, and lots of other operating systems. The media, be it flash0, or flash1, or the memory stick is immaterial.

Unless you have greater proof than what you have, or have the knowledge to make it yourself, then please keep your opinions to yourself.

Cloudy

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 21:59
When 0x89 nears release we'll have more information on how it works and we'll know if it can work as specified. So we'll just have to wait and see.

smith1
October 3rd, 2006, 22:54
When 0x89 nears release we'll have more information on how it works and we'll know if it can work as specified. So we'll just have to wait and see.I agree 100%. In fact, I'll drop the 'issue' until then =).

pkmaximum
October 4th, 2006, 00:41
People lets stop the arguing, after all nothing has been released, to argue over yet XD

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 00:46
People lets stop the arguing, after all nothing has been released, to argue over yet XD

LOL a little late man ;)

mavsman4457
September 24th, 2007, 02:50
Sorry to bring up this really old thread but wouldn't it just be the perfect team to step up and fill the shoes of DA? This XMB replacement was going to be great but then they decided not to replace it because DA's firmwares were so popular. This thing had avi support!!! I'm sure there are many out there that would love to have that. To me, it seems like this team just tried to do more than most people were looking for by making a whole new OS. I'm sure it would have been great but most people just want a normal XMB with great features like the ones that they were adding. We need to get these guys back into the scene.

Safari Al
September 24th, 2007, 02:59
yeah this sounds pretty nice