PDA

View Full Version : Kutaragi on 360, Wii: "We don't care"

wraggster
September 30th, 2006, 10:32
Last week Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi delivered the keynote address at the 2006 Tokyo Game Show. As usual, he appeared confident, laying out his long-term vision for how the PlayStation 3 will take over many functions traditionally performed by the PC.

As for the PlayStation 3 launch, Kutaragi let Sony Computer Entertainment America president Kaz Hirai lay down the nuts and bolts in a video interview with GameSpot. However, the so-called "Father of the PlayStation," whose English is limited, did speak very briefly with British trade magazine MCV about the looming next-gen conflict.

When asked his opinion of the PS3's competitors, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii, Kutaragi was blunt. "We don't care," he flatly told the trade.

But while he was confident about the PS3's chances, the executive also admitted that the console's launch was not exactly going according to plan. "Right now...we can't manufacture enough blue laser diodes for our PlayStation 3s," he said, "But we will resolve that."

Blu-ray diode production problems pushed back the PS3's European launch to March 2007. The console is still set to go on sale in Japan November 11 and in North America November 17. However, its day-one inventory has been drastically cut from 2 million units to just 100,000 units in Japan and 400,000 units in the US and Canada.

ACID
September 30th, 2006, 10:34
He shouldnt care they know the audience they are aming for.

cloud_952
September 30th, 2006, 11:16
Kutaragi is totally insane.

No touch with reality. The only people who dismiss their competitors are those who are setting themselves up for failure. It's kinda sad. I like Sony.. but they're being so dumb.

SSaxdude
September 30th, 2006, 15:21
Kutaragi can keep telling himself the PS3 is a computer...

cloud_952
September 30th, 2006, 19:29
I'd feel kinda wrong looking up pr0n on a PS3 in front of the tv with a controller. >_> That just doesn't seem right.

Yep, my PC isn't getting replaced any time soon.

ICE
October 5th, 2006, 16:49
the only time you can ignore your competetors is when your actually better than them. i mean better at marketing, better publishers, better system, and better ideas. sony is none of those things. it is more expensive though.........

downloaddownload
October 8th, 2006, 06:12
A number of relatives in my family come to me for advice in electronics and such and I always give them good recomendations but it gets harder and harder as months go by to find quality. I just dont feel good about the newer systems. It never was this difficult when people where shopping for a super nintendo.

NoQuarter
October 8th, 2006, 06:21
It is really kinda foolish not to care about your competitors.These guys are getting a little nutty at sony.
The evidence for their foolhardiness is their stock price.
Really can't say it's a bad idea to make the PS3 a computer it will be the fastest one I'm gonna posses.

Video_freak
October 8th, 2006, 06:26
Wii, 360 Rep: We're better than you.
PS3 Rep: :covers ears: blah blah blah, I can't hear you..... WE DON'T CARE!!!!!:mad:

NoQuarter
October 8th, 2006, 06:28
LOL,that is kinda how it comes across video freak!

irongiant
October 9th, 2006, 11:29
They don't care because they have a plan and they're sticking to it. Whether that plan works remains to be seen.