PDA

View Full Version : Somebody loves you, Max Media owners! SNEmul DS for MMP/D!

The Hombrew Hunter
September 30th, 2006, 17:29
Somebody loves you!, Archeide (http://snemul.free.fr/ds/) posted a MAX MEDIA version of SNEmul DS!!

Just watch saving, it's experimental, and loading one save after the other erases all of them AND sram.

So watch it. Also, thank me, because I did this all while needing to run to the bathroom.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Video_freak
September 30th, 2006, 17:33
Wow! So MAX MEDIA isn't completly useless! :)

The Hombrew Hunter
September 30th, 2006, 17:34
...yes it is.

BUT, they ARE getting SOME homebrews.

vinr
September 30th, 2006, 17:39
I am a complete noob. what is SNEmul?

Video_freak
September 30th, 2006, 17:40
SNES emulator for DS. :)

The Hombrew Hunter
September 30th, 2006, 17:41
...Think. SN. Emul.

SNES Emulator.

vinr
September 30th, 2006, 17:44
What games does it allow you to play then?

Video_freak
September 30th, 2006, 17:52
SNES games! :rolleyes:

vinr
September 30th, 2006, 18:01
Where do you get the snes games from and how do you play them on it.

Video_freak
September 30th, 2006, 18:04
They are called ROMs. I cannot give you a link because they are considered illegal if you do not own the original game. In times like this, remember that Google is your friend.

vinr
September 30th, 2006, 18:22
Illegal! I don't want a part in it.

kcajblue
September 30th, 2006, 18:28
only illegal if you dont own the original.

cloud_952
September 30th, 2006, 19:27
Illegal! I don't want a part in it.

Then don't. No one's going to put a gun to your head and demand that you play these games. It's a grey area of legality (and by grey, it's pretty well defined as not legal, but most people aren't bothered by it, akin to downloading mp3s), and it's something you either feel bad about and do or don't.

I'd compare it to jaywalking. At this point, I don't think it's hurting anyone (as long as there's no traffic), and it's just more convenient that conventional channels (like walking 3 blocks out of your way for a cross walk).

Of course, I make all my own roms straight from my own SNES carts to play, just as my mp3s come straight from my own cds. That's just the best way to roll. o_o

iball
September 30th, 2006, 19:40
vinr, you need to learn how to use Google and Wikipedia.

Mazza
September 30th, 2006, 20:15
vinr, vinr, vinr so naive.

Bonic
September 30th, 2006, 22:22
Hmm, I think hes used the Max Media fat source I gave him

girardsummer
September 30th, 2006, 23:42
I'm kinda pissed. It doesn't load LoZ:LttP or SMW + SMAS or even bloody Street Fighter! If PicoDrive and Max Overload didn't exist I would go crazy! Why is it that a machine that supports 3D grahpics, has two screens (one with touch), and is WiFi enabled cannot emualate simple SNES games or Sega games in full compatibility!?

The Hombrew Hunter
September 30th, 2006, 23:47
This is still very Beta, Girard...

Give it time.

sonikku88
October 1st, 2006, 00:02
I'm kinda pissed. It doesn't load LoZ:LttP or SMW + SMAS or even bloody Street Fighter! If PicoDrive and Max Overload didn't exist I would go crazy! Why is it that a machine that supports 3D grahpics, has two screens (one with touch), and is WiFi enabled cannot emualate simple SNES games or Sega games in full compatibility!?

It all depends on the emulator. The DS contains two internal emulators: one for DS games and one for GBA games. These can run games perfectly because Nintendo made the games that run on them so they know exactly how to program them. Unofficial coders and programmers only have some idea of how they work and they make an emulator accordingly. The more they understand about the machine, the better they can make their homebrew. Even NES and SNES emulators for PC were like the ones of DS at one point. It just takes time, like THH said.

girardsummer
October 1st, 2006, 00:05
Ok, I apologize for a rare spurt of nooby rage.

The Hombrew Hunter
October 1st, 2006, 00:06
It's cool, we all spurt noobly sometimes.

Anyway.

Still be happy it exists.

Bonic
October 1st, 2006, 00:25
Holy crap! Rockman and Forte(4mb) works very well on this!

cloud_952
October 1st, 2006, 00:39
It all depends on the emulator. The DS contains two internal emulators: one for DS games and one for GBA games. These can run games perfectly because Nintendo made the games that run on them so they know exactly how to program them. Unofficial coders and programmers only have some idea of how they work and they make an emulator accordingly. The more they understand about the machine, the better they can make their homebrew. Even NES and SNES emulators for PC were like the ones of DS at one point. It just takes time, like THH said.

^_^; I suggest you go about looking into how the hardware of the DS works and how these processors function. Also of note, please look into the definition of "emulator" and what an emulator does.

The very suggestion that the DS "has two emulators built into it" is oversimplifying to the extent that it's plain wrong on every possible level. The DS does NOT "emulate" DS games. o_o It's MADE to play them. The processor interprets the code written for it, and the other hardware (video renderer, audio, etc) all perform their roles as they're supposed to, taking directions straight from the code, not from some mysterious internal DS emulator. If the DS emulates a DS, then WHAT is a "DS" to begin with?

As for emulating GBA games.. wrong as well. It also contains the same processor used in the GBA and is able to play them natively, NOT through emulation.

^^;; Just had to clear this up. I'd hate to think what that'd do to new users.

sonikku88
October 1st, 2006, 01:40
I've just finished testing the emulator, and, quite frankly, I'm surprised I didn't get a seizure while doing so. Non stop flashing. SNESDS is much better than this, even if it doesn't have SRAM saving capabilities. Plus there's so sound! Lame! Good thing is that it plays some games over 2MB, but you won't want to play them for long with such terrible emulation. Backgrounds are messed up and racing games like Mario Kart and F-Zero are totally unplayable.

So don't use this, it sucks. :(

^_^; I suggest you go about looking into how the hardware of the DS works and how these processors function. Also of note, please look into the definition of "emulator" and what an emulator does.

The very suggestion that the DS "has two emulators built into it" is oversimplifying to the extent that it's plain wrong on every possible level. The DS does NOT "emulate" DS games. o_o It's MADE to play them. The processor interprets the code written for it, and the other hardware (video renderer, audio, etc) all perform their roles as they're supposed to, taking directions straight from the code, not from some mysterious internal DS emulator. If the DS emulates a DS, then WHAT is a "DS" to begin with?

As for emulating GBA games.. wrong as well. It also contains the same processor used in the GBA and is able to play them natively, NOT through emulation.

^^;; Just had to clear this up. I'd hate to think what that'd do to new users.

Ah right. Sorry about that. <=D. I probably shouldn't say stuff like that unless I know what I'm talking about, huh? I thought an emulator was just something that plays games.

The Hombrew Hunter
October 1st, 2006, 02:02
I've just finished testing the emulator, and, quite frankly, I'm surprised I didn't get a seizure while doing so. Non stop flashing. SNESDS is much better than this, even if it doesn't have SRAM saving capabilities. Plus there's so sound! Lame! Good thing is that it plays some games over 2MB, but you won't want to play them for long with such terrible emulation. Backgrounds are messed up and racing games like Mario Kart and F-Zero are totally unplayable.

So don't use this, it sucks. :(

Ah right. Sorry about that. <=D. I probably shouldn't say stuff like that unless I know what I'm talking about, huh? I thought an emulator was just something that plays games.

Mario Kart and F-Zero ARE unplayable!

What don't you understand about BETA?!

Don't be so ignorant...

kcajblue
October 1st, 2006, 02:31
yeah, dude dont bash the emulator. like THH said. its a BETA. a beta is the Development stage of whatever. which means its still being developed to get better.

sonikku88
October 1st, 2006, 02:42
yeah, dude dont bash the emulator. like THH said. its a BETA. a beta is the Development stage of whatever. which means its still being developed to get better.

Ah right, OK. Sorry. Damn, I'm so tired, I dunno what I'm saying. -_-

Psphreak
October 1st, 2006, 02:48
Anybody have any success in loading this emu on a G6? Everytime I try it I get a white screen :(.

freezeburn
October 1st, 2006, 04:33
I'm sure that this is for the MMP/MMD only so it won't load on the g6

SSaxdude
October 1st, 2006, 04:48
People still should stay away from buying the MMP.

Amethyst
October 1st, 2006, 07:17
"Just watch saving, it's experimental, and loading one save after the other erases all of them AND sram.

So watch it. Also, thank me, because I did this all while needing to run to the bathroom."

Could someone tell me what's SRAM? Whenever the words "erase", "all", and one I don't know are put together I get nervous.

"People still should stay away from buying the MMP."

In a way I agree. If Datel marketed it's little device more honestly I'm sure it wouldn't be as hated as it is today. If they didnt claim it was the greatest thing to happen to homebrew then it would be another mediocre device. It does most of the things I want it to do very well (SNES problems and GBA incompatibility are my only gripes).

Arimasen
October 1st, 2006, 14:36
Still no M3 MiniSD version... *sigh*

Radicaled_IV
October 1st, 2006, 21:51
um, i dnlded the SNEmul DS thing. and when i tried to load it, it said: (i am typing it word for word so you can see everything on my screen)

-=SNEmulDS 0.2 by archeide =-In
itialize ..
Please restart if stuck...
Initialize FS...
Found FS!
No files found.
Please put ROMS in SNES director
y of your CF/SD card

i realize the first part is starting up, but i dont know what a cf/sd card is, or where to put the roms. i have a MMP with the max media cartrige, and the 4gig hard drive...so am i doing something wrong? i put the roms in the same file as the program at first. then i put them in a separate file i named SNES, after the first time didnt work. and THAT didnt work either.... is there a specific file extension the program will only read? ie; .fig , .smc , etc.
i put several different roms with different extensions in the folder...so..... ??? can anyone help me??

`The0n3
October 1st, 2006, 22:10
Did you put the "SNES" folder into your basic directory?

Rrilltrae
October 2nd, 2006, 00:53
The emulator and SNES folder need to be in your root directory, not inside any other folder on the dock. Well, I haven't tested moving the emulator, but thats what everyone has said.

As for the flickering issue peple were having some pages back, the vblank setting in the options menu can often solve the problem. Set it to V-Wait.

Also, there are 3 background layer options that can make games with graphic glitches and layering problems playable by turning off the offending layer. (Secret of mana is full of layer glitches, but if you turn off one of the layers its pretty playable.

Funny thing is, I remember these *exact* graphic glitches being very common in early pc emulators, such as the endless scrolling and missing text from the name selection screen in secret of mana. Here's hoping future developements will keep up the improvements!

dwrecord
October 24th, 2006, 09:33
what ext do you use with emu i have .smc and it see them but when i load it the screen is blank and it says its runnning at 400% or so?

toymin80r
October 26th, 2006, 00:38
make sure the emulator is in the main directory and the folder with the roms is called "SNES" and its in the same directory as the emulator. I dont really mean to bunp this topic but its the only way to help.

Bonic
October 26th, 2006, 00:42
Bull, theres a PM system, LOL

dskwaredd
October 26th, 2006, 02:40
any suggestions for an error that reads "No files found. Please put ROMS in SNES directory of your CF/SD card." I'm running the Max Media Player version of SNEmul ds and I only have one rom (Mario Allstars) and IT IS IN THE DIRECTORY. I thought I'd finally have some Mario 3 action on my DS! help!

dskwaredd
October 26th, 2006, 02:41
oh nevermind i guess someone already asked that question hahaha

dskwaredd
October 26th, 2006, 03:04
ok it starts up with a title screen which i can't figure out how to shrink in the options menu, and it freezes either in the title screen or when it fades to black. I'm not a newb, but i'm no pro either, any info would be awesome

dskwaredd
October 26th, 2006, 03:07
ok i got it somewhat working, any suggestions for boosting speed? I'm only at 14-50 and it's pretty much frozen-

TeenDev
October 26th, 2006, 03:29
Somebody loves you!, Archeide (http://snemul.free.fr/ds/) posted a MAX MEDIA version of SNEmul DS!!

Just watch saving, it's experimental, and loading one save after the other erases all of them AND sram.

So watch it. Also, thank me, because I did this all while needing to run to the bathroom.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

aren't you like deathly allergic to MMD?

sonikku88
October 26th, 2006, 16:28
People still should stay away from buying the MMP.

Yes. Faaaaaaaaarrrr away. It's too much hastle.

zxcvbnmmjjk
March 21st, 2007, 13:20
i brought the music n games cant get snes to work gets stuck on initialize fs