PDA

View Full Version : The PS3’s worst enemy

wraggster
October 2nd, 2006, 08:54
Via the software pirate

Sony’s had a lot of problems stirring up excitement with the PS3. Manufacturing problems, launch shortages, high prices, lackluster launch titles (Metal Gear Solid 4 isn’t worthy a $660 investment) are just a few of the issues that have made gamers pretty nervous about getting Sony’s Grey Goose of a console. Fundamentally, none of these are the biggest problems the PS3 has to face. The PS3’s biggest problem hit me earlier today, when I was playing on my PS2.

The Playstation 3’s biggest problem is the Playstation 2.

Look at the release lineup for the PS2. Final Fantasy 12, God of War 2, Godhand, Phantasy Star Universe, and so on. Just this month we got the must-have Okami and the obscure-but-great Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. These games are fun, they look beautiful, and they are adding more and more life to Sony’s battered workhorse of a platform. They might not look quite as good as Xbox 360 or upcoming PS3 titles, but they’re good enough to make the average gamer consider keeping their old system around for a few more months.

Sony hasn’t yet made a convincing argument that the PS3 is a worthy replacement to the PS2 yet. Yes, it can output to 1080p. Yes, it will have better online and storage abilities. But these are all features Sony has told us, not shown us.

Nintendo demonstrated just how the Virtual Console is going to work, what titles will be available, and what it’s going to cost us. We know we’re going to see some great classics on top of the various ports and exclusives in the Wii’s release lineup. Beyond that, we’ve seen the Wiimote in action, and though it could use some tightening up, there’s a whole lot of potential there. Sure, there’s still the Gamecube, but the Gamecube’s lineup is already dwindling, and it looks like Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario will be the last big names to hit the system.

Microsoft gave Xbox 360 XBLA, a great reason for fanboys to keep their systems on without a bunch of release titles. When Oblivion’s feeling tired, owners can tap into Street Fighter II, Geometry Wars, and loads of other classic and remix games through Live Arcade. The original Xbox did have Live, but the 360 added countless features and an interface that’s exponentially better than the original. The Xbox is still seeing its share of games coming out, but the 360 has already proven itself with a nice selection of exclusives and the unexpected greatness of XBLA.

The Playstation 3 has a lot of promises, Sony hasn’t actually shown us many of them. We know the technical merits. Metal Gear Solid 4 looks great, Assassin’s Creed looks great, White Knight looks freaking amazing. But beyond that… what does the system have to offer? Technically it should be at the top of the heap. Fastest, most graphical bells and whistles, HDMI output, 1080p support, all of those nifty features. But beyond that what do the system have? Sony hastily added a lot of “features” like the SIXAXIS tilt controller and some form of XBLA/VC downloadable game support, but we haven’t really seen them in action. Microsoft has proven the Xbox 360 to be a worthy successor to the Xbox. Nintendo has actually shown us what the Wii is capable of doing. Sony hasn’t done much more but promise technical superiority and demonstrate that the PS3 dwarfs Ken Kutaragi’s head.

Besides pretty graphics, the PS3 doesn’t look like it’s going to be that much better than the PS2. In the long run it might, but for now all Sony is offering is a bunch of lofty promises and a release list for the Playstation 2 will probably have more than one frugal gamer waiting a few months for a PS3 price drop and a few better titles. Unless they have a top-of-the-line high-def TV that can take HDMI and show 1080p, the PS3’s most impressive graphics abilities will probably be lost on most. Without an amazing and obscenely expensive display to go with the obscenely expensive console, the PS3 will be little more than a PS2 with Xbox 360 graphics.

Okami and Valkyrie Profile are out now. God of War 2, Godhand, Final Fantasy 12, and lots of other tasty titles are in the pipe. It’s still a good time to be a PS2 owner, and that makes it a bad time to sell the PS3.

irongiant
October 2nd, 2006, 11:24
More rubbish from websites that think it's cool to keep bashing Sony. Suppose the article gets their site a few more hits.

devination
October 2nd, 2006, 11:42
He's not 'bashing' it he's just telling the truth.

Man
October 2nd, 2006, 11:53
Well, i beleive that thats true, and im pretty sure that the price is wayyyyy to high, btw, i will never have the monet to buy a PS3, nor will i ever want one, maybe the system will be soo amazing, but i sincerly dout it.

saward85
October 2nd, 2006, 13:17
it is true and sony don't help things by putting release dates back all the time (in europe).

Vangar
October 2nd, 2006, 13:36
Playstation 3 will do what Saturn did to Sega.

SSaxdude
October 2nd, 2006, 15:17
Playstation 3 will do what Saturn did to Sega.
Good point.

jerrt
October 2nd, 2006, 15:32
people. I keep seeing either this same article in different places, or different people making this same observation.

first how can something they own hurt them? i mean, unlike microsoft, they are all about keeping the current generation kicking for the very reason this article talks about. if they can keep the current gen alive, they won't loose as many people to the next gen consoles that are less expensive than the ps3. What they want is for people to slowly transition to the ps3 like they did with the ps2. I for one am very happy about this setup because it doesn't force people to switch horses mid race untill the price and features has met the individual's personal economic value line.

it always makes me laugh when i see microsoft saying "we give gamers choice" yeah, a choice to have to buy a new console if they want to keep playing the newest games coming out under microsofts licensing. with sony, if you want to not spend anymore money that what it costs to buy a new game, you can. sure sony is trying to push the ps3 like crazy, i would be too if the investment was as high as it is with ps3, they want positive returns quick. and although they know the best route would be to see everyone who has a ps2, switch on release day to a ps3. They are more realistic than this and realize that no where near enough people will be able to afford it, or find it worth the money based on their own personal economic ideas. thus they support the ps2, something that is at the top of its development stage and is delivering great gameplay and graphics at an already invested price.

I for one will still play my ps2 and my ps2/ps1 games on my ps3. I'm excited to be able to get a ps3 at launch, but for those that dont' have one, don't worry, just like all things electronics, the price will fall. eventually, you will be able to pick them up a dime a dozen at any second hand store/pawn shop for real cheap.

so please stop saying that the biggest hurdle sony has to over come is the ps2. because they know they will sell out all the ps3s for the first whatever months of its life cycle, this happens no matter what. and because they know the price point is high, and because they arent' trying to completely flip their install base over to the next gen system, they will be more than happy to sell you something ps2 related. remember it is all going to them anyway.

[sorry for the rant]

dejkirkby
October 2nd, 2006, 15:44
That was a nicely balanced debate, with sense coming out of both points.
For me, personally, the thing that has hurt Sony is not the continued sucess of the PS2, not the astronomical cost of the PS3, or even the value for money from rival consoles. It's the sheer fact that at every obstacle Sony have sh*t on Europe. Whether it's mass production problems or the £=$ price. Sony have shown little respect to a market that, quite frankly, adores Sony products.
In short, I think this will be Sony's swansong in the console market because consumers have had enough of being stiffed.

irongiant
October 2nd, 2006, 16:21
How on earth are europe being shat on? Sony cannot make enough to supply demand, it's a production issue so they've made the decision to release 100,000 units for their home territory and the rest for their biggest market the US. Considering the ridiculous ebay hiking with 360's and the pandemonium trying to get a PS2 at launch they've done the right thing.

Would you prefer 100,000 PS3s being set aside for europe then instead, leading to £1000 prices on ebay and queues outside stores? Or isn't it more sensible to release 500,000 in europe in march so anyone that wants one has a much better chance. The global 360 launch was a fiasco as they couldn't meet demand.

Sony having manufacturing issues is not Europe being shat on. How would you have allocated the units then? If nothing else with a release in March we'll get the best machines as teething problems will be ironed out and more time to polish the games, i'd say we're getting the best deal.

As for the article, complete garbage. Sony are nobodies fool and they're still strongly supporting the PS2 for very good reasons.

This christmas the PS2 will be one of the best selling consoles yet again. PS2 software sales are a constant revenue stream for Sony and will continue to be, why would they want to kill off the PS2 as software makes them the biggest return?
MS have dropped the XBox completely as they're trying to force people to upgrade. PS2 owners have some great games to look forward to and Sony are hoping that people will upgrade to the PS3 as and when they can afford to. The launch units will be snapped up by early adopters, hardcore fans, gadget freaks and those who have the money available to spend. Over the next 18 months as PS2 sales drop off the PS3 price will be reduced to entice people to upgrade.

It's pretty much the pattern they applied with the transition from PSOne to PS2 and nobody can deny it's been incredibly successful. When KK says he's not bothered what MS and Nintendo are doing i believe he means it, Sony are sticking to their plan no matter what. Whether it works as successfully this time around only time will tell.

dejkirkby
October 2nd, 2006, 16:34
So, if the PS2 is going to be a big seller this year, then why not delay the worldwide launch of the PS3. If only 500,000 or so can be produced, why release such a minimal amount. And why drop the Europe release schedule. In theory, Sony stand to make more profit from releasing these 500,000 machine in Europe rather than Asia or the US because they charge more in Europe.
But no, Europe is delayed. Again.
Now I'm not saying that Sony should favour Europe over the US or Asia but at least we should be on a level playing field. At the end of the day, European money is just as good as everyone elses.
As for how I would spread the allocation of the machines. The truth is I wouldn't. I would delay release WORLDWIDE, until I was confident of meeting more of the demand.
The bottom line is that Sony delaying the European release and issuing limited stocks to the US and Asia will leave Microsoft and Nintendo rubbing their hands with glee. Because when parents can't get hold of a PS3 for their children, X-Box 360 and Wii will be there to save tears on December 25th.

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 17:54
But its not within Sony's hands. Rather than make promises they cannot deliver on, because of manufacturing issues, Sony decided to send the most units to the country that will see them the most profits.

Mind you, Sony hasn't been manufacturing units hardcore since the worldwide delay of the PS3 last march; they have been working out features and bugs to add to the system to make it that much better in the end.

Personally, I feel that Europeans have it good, by March of next year, many of the 1st Gen PS3 bugs would have been worked out and the system you receive will probably be better than the ones that those of us who stood on lines on Nov 17 waiting to get them.

dejkirkby
October 2nd, 2006, 18:01
That's a fair point but is still scant consolation when we have to wait four months longer than our American or Asian counterparts.

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 18:17
That's a fair point but is still scant consolation when we have to wait four months longer than our American or Asian counterparts.

I'd be pissed too if I were in that situation, but I do think it was the last resort on Sony's part and that if they were capable of delivering to all nations, they would have done so.

dejkirkby
October 2nd, 2006, 18:32
I'd be pissed too if I were in that situation, but I do think it was the last resort on Sony's part and that if they were capable of delivering to all nations, they would have done so.
I believe they would've done.
But my point was whenever Sony encounter problems with producing consoles, Europe are dealt the short straw.
There is probably a very credible financial reason for delaying Europe first but, from a consumer point-of-view, it is very dishearening to know that living in Europe means waiting longer than the rest of the world.

migsgiz
October 3rd, 2006, 07:21
the PS3 will be little more than a PS2 with Xbox 360 graphics.

that what i want, i dont care about the rest!
i want to hand down my ps2 to my baby girl,
and get a ps3 to play all the new ps2 game
on my PS2 with Xbox 360 graphics.

Cap'n 1time
October 3rd, 2006, 09:03
Personally, to say its a ps2 with 360 graphics is perhapes a bit too harsh.

And this site has always been a little bit anti sony... it was originaly (AND STILL IS) a ****ing dreamcast site. :P

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 14:24
Personally, to say its a ps2 with 360 graphics is perhapes a bit too harsh.

Yeah, considering the PS3's GPU is more powerful than the Xbox360's.