PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Guide to Whats Needed for Homebrew on Each Console

wraggster
October 2nd, 2006, 13:33
Whilst on my sickbed (damn cold) i thought about whats needed for homebrew on each console from a newcomer/newbie point of view, basically only the minimal amount needed to run homebrew on all the consoles we cover with links to related sites and the products needed.

Check out our The Complete Guide to Whats Needed for Homebrew on Each Console (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/homebrew-guide.php).

Emeriastone
October 2nd, 2006, 13:45
This is really helpful, I was always thinking about the other consoles but right now I've got to get to class. Blegh.

sony.1991
October 2nd, 2006, 13:49
I just though I'ld steel the first post, kewl guide, hope you get better soon, Oh damn! He got here before me.:mad:

quzar
October 2nd, 2006, 14:12
I thought you were gonna wait for a bit after posting this in staff first to make sure to fix problems with it, especially your definition of 'homebrew' (which should be chagned to a definition of CONSOLE homebrew, as it completely ignores what the spirit of homebrew is: doing it yourself, and the fact thathomebrew can refer to PC software).

http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/index.htm
Also, above is a fairly well trusted online retailler that has saturn modchips.

S34MU5
October 2nd, 2006, 16:35
I just though I'ld steel the first post, kewl guide, hope you get better soon, Oh damn! He got here before me.:mad:
your second post was a attempt for fist post
u suck:p

dejkirkby
October 2nd, 2006, 16:42
your second post was a attempt for fist post
u suck:p
People who post just to be the first are complete tools!

Is'lan
October 2nd, 2006, 16:47
Haven't looked at this but I have to say: Finally! Still being in the newb stages, I have to say getting started in homebrew development is hard to get into without some prior knowledge. I'm gonna take a good look at this when I get the time.

Mr. Shizzy
October 2nd, 2006, 18:43
Awesome. This is very helpful.

splodger15
October 2nd, 2006, 19:55
This is helpful and good

the_eternal_dark
October 2nd, 2006, 20:03
This is very helpful, but missing a section under GC homebrew.

SDLoad+Action Replay+Gamecube SD Reader (official or SD Gecko) can also run homebrew (snes emu and nes emu support sdload and most .dol files {.dol files are gamecube readable .iso (not the illegal kind) or .exe formats}). You can also us the PSO exploit (must use the original PSO, original only has the security flaw you are looking for) can load almost everything homebrew for GC completely unmodified.

Tomobobo
October 3rd, 2006, 02:09
Also, there are a few gamesave exploits that can be used on Xbox to boot homebrew code. You don't neccesarily need a modchip. TSOPing is also a way to mod without using a chip. Just FYI.

blaz3d
October 3rd, 2006, 11:14
no mention of xbox softmods! the free(ish) and easy mods for the xbox! tsop flashin is an a$$ for noobs

BL4Z3D247
October 3rd, 2006, 11:22
People who post just to be the first are complete tools!
well then pspupdates is a toolbox :p, anyways nice guide, people who are just getting into the world of homebrew should find this useful :)

Tulvert
October 5th, 2006, 06:06
Dude, I've been tricking systems for awhile now and this guide missed some major, in my opion, points. Like for PS2 you can use memory card exploints to run emu's for GBA, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo besides running Divx movies and such. OK and thens there's the Xbox. Soft modding an Xbox is so damn easy and you can run all kinds of emu's. Anything from arcade games all the way up to N64 and PS1 and the Xbox Media Center is amazing. Hell you can run Linux on Xbox. So before you call that "The Complete Guide To Homebrew" please check your sources. If you'd like email me and I'll give you any helpful info you want on softmodding on PS2 and Xbox.

ExcruciationX
October 8th, 2006, 17:44
Very helpful! :)

the_eternal_dark
October 8th, 2006, 20:10
Dude, I've been tricking systems for awhile now and this guide missed some major, in my opion, points. Like for PS2 you can use memory card exploints to run emu's for GBA, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo besides running Divx movies and such. OK and thens there's the Xbox. Soft modding an Xbox is so damn easy and you can run all kinds of emu's. Anything from arcade games all the way up to N64 and PS1 and the Xbox Media Center is amazing. Hell you can run Linux on Xbox. So before you call that "The Complete Guide To Homebrew" please check your sources. If you'd like email me and I'll give you any helpful info you want on softmodding on PS2 and Xbox.

You can run linux on ps2 and gc as well and one time the dc was in for a linux system too.

quzar
October 8th, 2006, 21:54
You can run linux on ps2 and gc as well and one time the dc was in for a linux system too.

The Dreamcast has full branches of linux and BSD that run on it.

BrooksyX
October 9th, 2006, 04:28
It says you need to have a modchip to run homebrew on the xbox. Which is untrue, my xbox is softmodded and I believe for 95% of people who want to mod their xbox should softmod also. For the most part its cheaper and less risky, once you obtain a copy of your eeprom there is really no way to mess up your xbox software beyond the point of repair.