PDA

View Full Version : [PSP]Touch Screen in PSP's Future?

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 17:47
With the DS and its hugely successful touch screen, it seems only obvious that Sony may want to jump on this bandwagon. Er did I say Sony? Let me start over:

With the DS and its hugely successful touch screen, it seems only obvious that the homebrew/hacking community would bring a product to light that may be able to do just that.

While perusing the website for 0x89 found here @ http://0x89.org it came to my attention of a news update from harleyg.

Apparently harleyg and his team are working on a prototype touch screen for the PSP, which as the concept images indicate, is USB and mounts to the top of the PSP via the two screw holes on the sides of the USB port.

This brings forth many questions, most notably, how will this unit work? It seems obvious to me that the unit will work with 0x89, but mind you, details are sketchy at the moment.

Check out the news and concepts for yourself @ http://0x89.org/index2.php

Update

There was a FAQ released on the 0x89 forums about the PSP Touch Screen, it can be found here:

http://0x89.org/forum/index.php?topic=17.0

kando
October 2nd, 2006, 18:47
i was readin this earlier.....this could blow ds out of the water....................TOO BAD SONY DIDNT THINK OF IT FIRST AHAHAHAHHAHA

PATENT IT HARLEY PATENT IT NOW!!!!!!!

splodger15
October 2nd, 2006, 18:47
Sounds good

saward85
October 2nd, 2006, 18:57
sony should make somethink like this that you could use with umd games

Nafogel
October 2nd, 2006, 18:58
sweeeeeeeeeet! could you imagine how many great homebrew games and apps could come out of this???

Malksta
October 2nd, 2006, 19:02
Very nice ;)

Veskgar
October 2nd, 2006, 19:16
Damn! Homebrew knows no bounds. It seems almost anything is possible with the PSP with enough work put into it.

Jpdeathblade
October 2nd, 2006, 19:27
I can smell a DS emulator =P

Cant wait for that day, then I can own everykid I know who says ds is better =P

kando
October 2nd, 2006, 19:39

/grin :D

LAMPRO
October 2nd, 2006, 19:42
it is the only one up ds has. touch screen would change the nature of the psp in sucha way that new titles, if grasped by the mainstream dev co's, would blow the whole psp wide open..

woot that would pwn.

M!ckeY
October 2nd, 2006, 19:45
this will be awesome :)

splodger15
October 2nd, 2006, 19:53
It will be at a good price when its released

jerrt
October 2nd, 2006, 19:55
*closes eyes and imagines a word where this is made and produced for what normal accessories should cost, and then sony sees it, sees that they are doing a fine job of devloping it and instead of buying, or fighting for the rights, embrases it and adds this to their sdk for future commercial releases* This would fix the keyboard problem without having to add a separate keyboard flap. i want to be able to touch the screen to imput letters from the keyboard on screen. [: super happy, i hope this ends up comeing to fruition. [spelling?]

gotmilk0112
October 2nd, 2006, 20:00
i doubt sony would use this. nintendo would be pissed.

thats all sony can do is copy ideas from nintendo huh?

unit999cn
October 2nd, 2006, 20:03
realy??:eek: thats PSP would like another NDS:D

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 20:23

They wouldn't be copying Nintendo since Sony would have seen that it was possible because homebrewers made it and that it is a viable accessory for the PSP.

Not to mention 'copying' was never a bad thing. It leads to more competition and a better end product for everyone.

The key difference between Nintendo's touch screen and this one is that Nintendo's is a display/touch screen, this one is just a touch screen with display information on the PSP's screen (well as far as I can tell, I do not think it can display anything on the touch screen itself).

Emeriastone
October 2nd, 2006, 20:27
Harleyg and his team might get a call from Sony asking them to "come work for them (meaning stop making profits for yourselves and help the evil empire that is Sony or else we will slap your ass with so many lawsuits you won't be able to pick up a psp ever again)."

But this is cool and I def want one, even though it may not be perfect.

nexis2600
October 2nd, 2006, 20:46
After this I say rumble pak. I mean for the love of god, even the DS has a small rumble cart. Why can't the PSP have a usb rumble pak ?

Yeah because we all know nintendo invented touch screen technology.

***incorrect buzzer sound***

Well nintendo was the first to use it in a handheld

Well I ment a video game handheld.

Too bad.
Fyi, The game.com & Zodiac both used touch screen technology and were clasified as handheld video game systems. Both also came out well before the DS did.

jaws365
October 2nd, 2006, 20:55
REVOLUTION!!!!

This will make the PSP the ultimate portable music-device, as we already have C64 emulator (Siduzzit, Johnplayer, etc), Amiga emulator (Protracker, AHX, etc), and also homebrew sequencers like PSPRythm.

I look forward!!!

Xiro
October 2nd, 2006, 21:27
This could make the PSP a sweet console for FPS's (homebrew, of course) and we could finally have a keyboard for the web browser!

aries2k4
October 2nd, 2006, 22:31
Sounds like a good idea, better then most of $ony´s, lol. I´m sure this would come in handy for a DS emu, lol

crystlshadow
October 2nd, 2006, 22:54
I suggested this about a week ago in a thread posted by Wraggster, ( Emergency PSP: Reviving the Handheld To Greatness). Here is what I said... ( Also keyword accessories. Lets be BOLD and put out a touch screen for the PSP, why not?, if the PSP can handle GPS, PS3 interactivity and all that other cool stuff I dont see the problem. Apparently the PSP is still on it's experimental stage anyway! But truth be told, I love both of my PSP's.) So please if I deserve any credit for this, may I please have it? thanx. Otherwise to the team working on this project , good luck with it I certainly look forward to it! Also personally I think it should go at the bottom not the top, due to the fact that having it on top will interfere with the action on the bottom screen. Thats all!

Stoner4Life
October 2nd, 2006, 23:00
Actually this idea sucks @ss!! With the way sonys controlls are how would this idea work. To touch the screen you have to cover the one screen the psp has which wont be possible for left handed people. Sony would have to get rid of the trigger buttons. It just wouldnt work

Shadowblind
October 2nd, 2006, 23:03
Well, Sony has stolen everything ELSE from nintendo, so I bet they're gonna steal the TS too.

ACID
October 2nd, 2006, 23:06
Great idea if they realy want to compete with the NDS but then again they dont have many good releases for there regular counsil PSP as it is.

Cloud_35
October 2nd, 2006, 23:43
Why not to kick nintendo's ass with a ds emulator??

I mean, there was a joke about a ds emulator past april, but i don't see it far.

PSP is superior (graphically) to the DS

spurs_fan
October 3rd, 2006, 00:09
is it possible for a ds emulator on the psp using one screen while the ds has two

E.J.
October 3rd, 2006, 00:11
Well, Sony has stolen everything ELSE from nintendo, so I bet they're gonna steal the TS too.

Hmm, lets see...

- Use Carts for games
- Use CD media for games
- Analog Sticks
- Memory Cards
- Wireless Controler
- Controler with Motion Sensing
- Touchscreen on a Portable Device

Hmm... as long as i remember Nintendo wasn't the inventor of any of these tecnologies, still they are using them all....

TacticalBread
October 3rd, 2006, 00:18

Although this is not being made by Sony, I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this. Especially with the whole PS3 motion sensor controllers. Hmmm, wonder where they got that idea?

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 00:18
I suggested this about a week ago in a thread posted by Wraggster, ( Emergency PSP: Reviving the Handheld To Greatness). Here is what I said... ( Also keyword accessories. Lets be BOLD and put out a touch screen for the PSP, why not?, if the PSP can handle GPS, PS3 interactivity and all that other cool stuff I dont see the problem. Apparently the PSP is still on it's experimental stage anyway! But truth be told, I love both of my PSP's.) So please if I deserve any credit for this, may I please have it? thanx. Otherwise to the team working on this project , good luck with it I certainly look forward to it! Also personally I think it should go at the bottom not the top, due to the fact that having it on top will interfere with the action on the bottom screen. Thats all!

The difference is, this has been in the works for a while and ideas never got anyone anywhere. The team working on this are dedicated people who know the ins and outs of the PSP (some of them are the founding fathers of the PSP Homebrew Scene).

I don't mean to sound like an ass or anything but even if you forwarded the idea first, they actually went ahead to do something with it. As I said, this has been in the works for a long time, so I think its mere coincindence that you happened to post the idea here before anyone knew about it actually being made.

Actually this idea sucks @ss!! With the way sonys controlls are how would this idea work. To touch the screen you have to cover the one screen the psp has which wont be possible for left handed people. Sony would have to get rid of the trigger buttons. It just wouldnt work

I don't think its main purpose is gaming. I believe its purpose would be more geared towards PDA type applications and an easier to use onscreen keyboard.

As well, applications like notepad and sketchpad can be made for this. Imagine going to school with a PSP for notetaking on top of gaming? It is these multiuse devices that are the wave of the future.

Sony came out with a touch screen phone that could play games and the like before there every was a DS, so its not like they would be taking anything NDS. Also, Nintendo wasn't the first company to make a touch screen handheld game.

Great idea if they realy want to compete with the NDS but then again they dont have many good releases for there regular counsil PSP as it is.

This isn't being made by Sony, nor is it a new PSP. Its a USB touch screen that attaches to your current PSP and gives the user touch screen abilities in 0x89, Shells and other Homebrew that will make use of it.

No official PSP games will make use of it, nor will any Sony made firmwares or updates, unless of course Sony likes the idea and jumps on, but that I doubt will ever happen.

Why not to kick nintendo's ass with a ds emulator??

I mean, there was a joke about a ds emulator past april, but i don't see it far.

PSP is superior (graphically) to the DS

While this would be a cool idea, its just not feasible.

1) The DS has 2 screens, not 1. So the PSP would need to have its current screen split into two halves.

2)There doesn't even exist a DS emu for PC. So getting one onto the PSP would be extremely difficult since anyone would have to start from scratch.

3)There are better emus to be working on right now (N64, PS1, etc).

Edshugeo
October 3rd, 2006, 00:43
REVOLUTION!!!!

This will make the PSP the ultimate portable music-device, as we already have C64 emulator (Siduzzit, Johnplayer, etc), Amiga emulator (Protracker, AHX, etc), and also homebrew sequencers like PSPRythm.

I look forward!!!

Holy crap! I completely ignored those emulators, not realizing their music making potential. While clueless about the C64, I vaguely recall that the Amiga was a favorite of some musicians back in the day.
Now I'm gonna have to find those emus and the programs you mentioned.

As far as why Sony isn't doing this, yet, I'm gonna speculate that they have a list of features meant to be spread over a period of 3-5 years all accompanied by firmware upgrades.

the_eternal_dark
October 3rd, 2006, 00:46
After this I say rumble pak. I mean for the love of god, even the DS has a small rumble cart. Why can't the PSP have a usb rumble pak ?

Yeah because we all know nintendo invented touch screen technology.

Well nintendo was the first to use it in a handheld

Well I ment a video game handheld.

Too bad.
Fyi, The game.com & Zodiac both used touch screen technology and were clasified as handheld video game systems. Both also came out well before the DS did.

And neither of the 2 you mentioned went anywhere...

This is the worst idea that sony would be able to pick up. Good for apps and stuff, but sony would add it in a special firmware making it useless for homebrew users. And to everyone who isn't in the scene, it would seem sony is grasping to attract people to their PSP using a nintendo idea. I doubt this flies for commercial use. Good luck to harleyg though, it is pretty cool, especially if it is used in emulations and apps.

*edit* List of DS emulators for PC
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk
DS EmulatorsDeSmuME (Linux Version)
DSemu
Dualis
GoodNDS
HyperDS
iDeaS
NeeDS
OlafDS
YopYopDS

emuking
October 3rd, 2006, 00:59
cant wait to use this for the web browser and typing, homebrew will also be much easier too and more interesting, ds emu now thats a dream :D

blackrave
October 3rd, 2006, 02:43
This sounds almost too good to be true and will be the beginning of a new æra for PSP homebrew development.
They will have around 100 units for sale at launch at release and they estimate it to cost around £30-40 ($56).
Also, they'll ship internationally, so I'm getting one! :D

Good luck to harleyg and his team! Thank you for doing this.

Shadowblind
October 3rd, 2006, 02:57
Hmm, lets see...

- Use Carts for games
- Use CD media for games
- Analog Sticks
- Memory Cards
- Wireless Controler
- Controler with Motion Sensing
- Touchscreen on a Portable Device

Hmm... as long as i remember Nintendo wasn't the inventor of any of these tecnologies, still they are using them all....
All true. But I dont remember saying ALL things were stolen by Sony. Just a good amount of Wii parts they "invented" for the PS3.

mcvader
October 3rd, 2006, 04:59

AHHH, I suggested this 2 months ago in a thread speculating about the psp2, I should get a cut of the profits lol, of course i'm sure harleyg thought of this before any of us.

As for the people who think this is just another example of sony copying nintendo (although there are many, the original machine and the very name playstation was nintendo's project), consider the fact that sony has nothing to do with this.

I owned a DS for three months (sold it to get my PSP) and only used the touchscreen for drawing pictochat pictures of homer simpson, so although its a good idea, I would never waste my money on a useless novelty such as this, not enough people are gonna buy this for coders to bother with homebrew for it, If you want touchscreen homebrew buy a DS it'll probably be cheaper than this add-on anyway.

ICE
October 3rd, 2006, 05:09
if these guys can pull this off and some people can make some games/apps compatible with it soon after release this will be amazing. i own a ds lite and a psp so the effect it has on me is minimal however if this sucker takes off i'll seriously consider a purchase.

MaxSMoke
October 3rd, 2006, 05:11
This should all just be built into a Faceplate replacement. If you've ever replaced a faceplate on a PSP, you know it's very easy to do. And if it was built into a faceplate, it could be fitted in almost perfectly, without very much of a bump at all.

As for the USB Cable interface, I picture a removable cable that plugs directly into the faceplate. You just disconnect the cable at both ends, and store it for use later, when your done using the touchscreen. Sure, you might loose one or two of them, but a few extra cables is a small price to pay for a touchscreen that seamlessly fits on a PSP.

And that idea is officially MINE! :p

Also, this faceplate could have a built in Flip-Up screen cover, like this cheap metal Pelican screencover I bought when I first got my PSP. The Pelican cover screws into the holes on either side of the USB port on top, but a built in one might connect directly to the faceplate.

Failing that, it will still need a screen cover. I suggest they "Borrow" the Pelican cover design, as it's very cheap and use to use/install.

The_It
October 3rd, 2006, 05:18
PSPDS wooo!

pibs
October 3rd, 2006, 05:20
dang it should also double as a screen protector :)

btw can psp emulate ds?

ACID
October 3rd, 2006, 05:38

btw can psp emulate ds?
Highly unlikly since it can barely emulate the GBA. Remember theres also the touch screen issue.:eek:

Chaos_X
October 3rd, 2006, 06:04
I own a DS and a PSP, I can already pwn both DS and PSP owners. HA! I would love to see this touch screen come out though because than I can carry two "copies" of a game with me so me a my friends won't fight over it.

emuking
October 3rd, 2006, 08:11

btw can psp emulate ds?

thats what im wondering can the psp emulate the ds, if not what keeps it from doing so and please not the two screen excuse :confused:

vladiftodi
October 3rd, 2006, 08:48
homebrew rocks without touch screen, i dont need it, realy, psp is games and homebrew, and music, i have pc for internet, and i dont\cant use even ppc for internet since i use it in other scopes

mr_nick666
October 3rd, 2006, 08:53
$ony always seem to be playing second fiddle to the homebrew scene dont they..? :rolleyes:

Id be very interested to see if this works and what will be produced for it :) Lets face it - homebrewers will look at the DS for inspiration! :p

crystlshadow
October 3rd, 2006, 12:12
Originally Posted by crystlshadow

mcvader: AHHH, I suggested this 2 months ago in a thread speculating about the psp2, I should get a cut of the profits lol, of course i'm sure harleyg thought of this before any of us.

I totally agree with you, but your idea was for a PSP2 not the current one! Still kudos!

As for F9zDark Im gonna have to disagree. Alyhough ideas dont get you any where, they are the foundation of all great inventions... ie. emulation.
Just cause some one else is working on it and havent published that fact here or anrwhere else doesnt make it entirely his now. Why? Because now it has been said and documented by this forum, before the revelation of the project. But I wish the best of luck to those guys working on it and iI give my support cause they have the knowledge I lack. Besides its fun to disagree, it makes forums more enjoyable!

PSmonkey
October 3rd, 2006, 13:56
Although this is not being made by Sony, I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this. Especially with the whole PS3 motion sensor controllers. Hmmm, wonder where they got that idea?

I don't know. Maybe microsoft (the sidewinder used this same concept) or that 3rd party ps1 controller that also did the same thing.

:eek:

tisti
October 3rd, 2006, 13:58

You keep smelling it ;)

PSmonkey
October 3rd, 2006, 13:59
And neither of the 2 you mentioned went anywhere...

Does not matter that they went no where. The main factor is they were first before nintendo (and there are probably other instances but dont fully count since they were single game units where thies two were more the correct term of a video game handheld unit and not a single game unit).

One could also add that sony's been using touch screen technology for a long time now with it's line of pda & cell phones (I have a SE p900) which sell quite well.

tomtomtom
October 3rd, 2006, 15:22
can you use it if you have a screen protector?

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 17:48
Perhaps. When they begin actually product testing we'll know for sure. As of now, they are receiving the unit from the supplier to begin construction of a prototype, which could take a while, since they are making it USB.

Milleniumas
October 3rd, 2006, 18:09
I still think this is a false news about it, everyone could post such news, but wrilly open your eyes. They haven't done anything to show for us, it's a prototype and only some few sketches, and they only saying what will be done, but no info from their side, just some few FAQ which are useless

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 18:55
Well I trust the team behind it; harleyg is a respectable coder on the scene and has contributed much time and effort into propelling the scene forward.

If it was by anyone else, I'd be doubtful, but I trust it because he is working on it.

LloydKansas
October 3rd, 2006, 21:02
Even with a touch screen, I highly doubt the PSP will "own" the DS. Sure, they can make a DS emulator, but you're still gonna be playing games made for the DS, no matter if its on a different platform. I'm looking more forward to this to use with homebrew games and 0x89, which will definitely be worth looking into if it can load 2.00+ UMD's without firmware emulation such as DevHook. I already know they're gonna work on a DS emulator just hearing about this, but thats the last thing on my list of what I want to see come out of this.

penileartery
October 3rd, 2006, 22:18
a pictochat ripoff would be all i wanted. only i do homebrew in the school though..so over wifi would be awesome! a new paint program would also be neat

Vega
October 4th, 2006, 04:03
The USB touchscreen would have to be extremly responsive. Man, its such a great idea tho. I woould hope that coders would not bother with a DS emulator and instead work on some original touch screen projects.
Lets wait and see!!

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 04:22
Yeah seriously, if I wanted to play DS games, I'd just buy a DS. (have to buy the games to legally own the roms anyway...) As I said, I'd rather developers finish the emus that they are working on rather than undertaking a DS emu.

gamer121
October 4th, 2006, 05:19

funny. you pick up your psp to play DS...i cant understand how this makes the psp better

ACID
October 4th, 2006, 05:29
I agree PSP & NDS are to different worlds. And they bouth have homebrew why will someone wish for a NDS emulator when you can have them bouth hooked up.

Apoklepz
October 4th, 2006, 05:31
So...this will probably support future homebrew, right? I think the idea Is tight and all, but what else would this be used for? DS emulator?....Yeah Frikking right! I've said it a thousand times, and I'll say it again...That'll happen when the huge gap in the Earth's ozone layer regenerates and seals up again :)...translation: Not happening.

I think, now that they've explored a way of making things work for the PSP through USB, they should look into making a USB controller, like those PC ones...for playing your docked PSP in the car (I got kids and buddies) Hint Hint Hint...Or maybe a keyboard...hmmmmmm....Aaaaah, those're just some of my many ideas that'll never see the light of day....I can dream, can't I?...*little voice whispers* DS emuuuuuulaaaaaatooooooor....SHUT UP! :)

software
October 4th, 2006, 05:49
Touch Screen ? Cool !!!

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 06:10
Its purpose would probably be more towards applications than anything else. Some future homebrew games may support it, like a maze game for instance. When people begin to see what they can use it for and start coming up with ideas will we see a great following.

kando
October 4th, 2006, 06:43
I still think this is a false news about it, everyone could post such news, but wrilly open your eyes. They haven't done anything to show for us, it's a prototype and only some few sketches, and they only saying what will be done, but no info from their side, just some few FAQ which are useless

how is it false news? its an update where none was given for quite some time. stop hating.

acn010
October 4th, 2006, 22:46
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that will help me alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he he, soon it will come.....