PDA

View Full Version : LOTR ENTERS THE THIRD AGE

wraggster
April 27th, 2004, 19:20
Electronic Arts has unleashed the third age of the Ring cycle with two brand new Tolkien-inspired epics, Lord of the Rings: The Third Age and Lord of the Rings: The Battle For Middle Earth.
Based on Peter Jackson's all-conquering movie trilogy, LOTR: The Third Age is a non-traditional RPG which sees you recruit a Fellowship all of your own, as you battle through Middle-earth to foil the machinations of the dark lord Sauron.

Promising to intersect with all the major events of the movie, you'll also encounter individual side quests and some of the 'paths less trodden' which will propel the epic story forward.

In the darkest of twists, you'll even occasionally get to embrace your inner Nazgul, as you turn traitor and fight on the side of the minions of darkness. An innovative turn-based combat system is also promised with a chance to shout, "Fly you fools!" as you battle the demonic Balrog in the Mines of Moria, defend the fallen city of Osgiliath, or repel Sauron's hordes in the epic conflict to defend Helm's Deep.

With PS2, Xbox and Cube versions under development at EA's Redwood Studios, who made the splendid LOTR: The Return of the King, the prospects certainly seem to be felicitous and as these first screens from the game show, they should certainly capture the cinematic intensity of their big screen counterparts. Mobile gamers can also look forward to a GBA version which is currently being forged in the fires of Mount Doom by Amaze Entertainment.

In a separate though obviously related development, EA has also announced it's secured an exclusive licensing deal with New Line Cinema to develop even more games based on the epic movies. The first instalment, Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth, a PC real-time strategy offering will be available before the end of the year.

Propeller
April 30th, 2004, 00:35
Nice news, wraggster, but I will continue playing the SuperNES version :D

This ultra-realist versions usually disappoint me...

Propeller

wraggster
April 30th, 2004, 01:08
SuperNes version , i didnt know there was a Super Nes lotr game.?

Propeller
April 30th, 2004, 01:42
Yeah... It was only the first book, the fellowship of the ring, and was made on that classic Nintendo style RPG... with sky camera and written dialogs... and blocky characters :D I love those blocky chars...

The game wasn't a huge hit, but it had a name on those days of obscurity for the SNES...

Propeller

wraggster
April 30th, 2004, 01:44
ooh ill give it a try :)

i cant wait for the third film(extended version) to come out on DVD :)

Propeller
April 30th, 2004, 01:49
Yeah, I'll buy it then... but I'm highly nervous too ::)

Propeller

GPF
April 30th, 2004, 17:41
Yeah I can't wait till the 3rd extended edition dvd comes out.

I have the first two in extended editiion. Except I lost the 1st dvd of the 4 for the first movie. I am going to have to rebuy it. I just finished the 1st book and now I want to see the movie again :)

wraggster
April 30th, 2004, 22:49
Its such a fantastic series of films, although id love to see a lord of the rings 4, to see our the world comes together. :)