PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Overheating Problems

wraggster
October 3rd, 2006, 21:44
It looks like we weren't the only ones to notice the Playstation 3's overheating during the Tokyo Game Show. Macquarie Equities analyst David Gibson also saw some PS3s locking up and having to be reset at the big show. And he didn't like what he saw:

"While the reason for this is unknown, we suspect it may be due to overheating as a result of enclosing the units and the high temperatures at the venue," Gibson wrote. "We are concerned that such a problem has occurred so close to full production and is clearly negative news for the company."
News of the glitches caused a 2.75 percent drop in Sony shares, says Business Week.

In Sony's defense, TGS was, by all accounts, a sweltering A/C-free pit and, so far, all next-gen hardware locks up. My Xbox 360 and debug unit both lock-up if I play them for too long without leaving my entertainment center doors open.

I won't know until I get my greedy little hands on one, but I suspect the PS3's overheating issues are about the same as the issues with the 360. I can't wait to heat my house with the PS360s when they're fully installed and running. I'm already heating my lounge with the Xbox 360 and Plamsa TV.

NoQuarter
October 3rd, 2006, 21:46
lol,no surprises here.

briyan
October 3rd, 2006, 21:49
i don't think ps3 will overheat if not for external heat sources. i could imagine the torture it went to at the TGS due to the heat at the venue and the fact that the consoles are powered up for some time. this is understandable but all in all let's hope this wouldn't be as bad as the 360's heating issues.

NoQuarter
October 3rd, 2006, 21:51
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with hoping or installing a sufficient cooling system.

Shadowblind
October 3rd, 2006, 21:52
With the Xbox 360, it was eventually fixed, and sooner then later. Hopefully it will be the same for the PSWii.

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 21:57
We'd need to test the unit in our homes to determine if there is indeed an overheating problem. Any game show is a heat-fest. Especially if its in a non air conditioned area.

Its funny you should call it the PSWii, like to say that Wii is even remotely close to any of the other next gen consoles... I wouldn't even call it such, actually, I'd call the Wii, Gamecube 1.5, since its graphics are just a tad better than what the gamecube offers.

NoQuarter
October 3rd, 2006, 21:58
I doubt the wii will have too many hardware probs,just look at nintendo's history of durability.
Now looking at sony's console history as well as microsofts,I say we have more to worry about from them.
Not everybody has AC.

S34MU5
October 3rd, 2006, 22:09
i think it will be okay.
they will sort it in the end
cant wait for ps3!!