PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii should retail for $199 only

wraggster
October 3rd, 2006, 22:19
Via IGN

So I'll tell you exactly what I told both Perrin Kaplan and Reggie Fils-Aime when they asked me the same question, which is, I believe Wii is $50 too expensive and three weeks too late.

As a gamer, I want Wii to sell for $200 for a number of reasons. It has about one tenth the processing prowess and one fifth the RAM of, say Xbox 360, and it also lacks a true hard drive. It doesn't play DVDs. It doesn't play music CDs. Yes, you read that correctly and yes, it's true. In fact, in many ways, it could be called a turbo-charged GameCube. So why the $249 price point?

Well, there are certainly reasons for it. It's easy to shrug off Wii as the least powerful of the three consoles, but consider what Nintendo has done. Wii is roughly half the size of GameCube and it still packs twice the power. It has roughly double the processing prowess, approximately double the RAM, an additional 512MBs of useable flash memory, built in 802.11b/g wireless capabilities and a full docking station for GameCube controllers. The console is backward compatible, in fact, with every GCN title ever made. And I haven't even mentioned its Wii Channels system or, most importantly, the Wii controller, which could represent one of the biggest hardware innovations the industry has seen in years.

philr359
October 3rd, 2006, 22:53
the Wii controller, which could represent one of the biggest hardware innovations the industry has seen in years.

it should say:
the Wii controller, which is the biggest hardware innovation the industry has seen in years :D :D

acn010
October 3rd, 2006, 22:56
meh.........

the_eternal_dark
October 3rd, 2006, 23:31
Via IGN

So I'll tell you exactly what I told both Perrin Kaplan and Reggie Fils-Aime when they asked me the same question, which is, I believe Wii is $50 too expensive and three weeks too late.

As a gamer, I want Wii to sell for $200 for a number of reasons. It has about one tenth the processing prowess and one fifth the RAM of, say Xbox 360, and it also lacks a true hard drive. It doesn't play DVDs. It doesn't play music CDs. Yes, you read that correctly and yes, it's true. In fact, in many ways, it could be called a turbo-charged GameCube. So why the $249 price point?

Well, there are certainly reasons for it. It's easy to shrug off Wii as the least powerful of the three consoles, but consider what Nintendo has done. Wii is roughly half the size of GameCube and it still packs twice the power. It has roughly double the processing prowess, approximately double the RAM, an additional 512MBs of useable flash memory, built in 802.11b/g wireless capabilities and a full docking station for GameCube controllers. The console is backward compatible, in fact, with every GCN title ever made. And I haven't even mentioned its Wii Channels system or, most importantly, the Wii controller, which could represent one of the biggest hardware innovations the industry has seen in years.

I'm still wondering if anyone will ever get that POWER IS NOT EVERYTHING WHEN IT COMES TO HOME CONSOLES! The Wii is still cheaper than the 360 or the PS3 even at $250. Who needs another DVD player anyway, by my count I think I have 5 or so. I'm glad that Nintendo doesn't need to add multimedia functions to make their games better (none of the other systems NEED it either). The PS3 will be the worst selling console of this generation, Xbox360 will be second, and Wii will be first.

Wii will own the next gen, hell, I'd even pay $300 on release day to have one.

Kramer
October 3rd, 2006, 23:36
Yeah im happy with the price I sure dont need another DVD player already got 3 in the house

Miria
October 4th, 2006, 00:03
Yeah I got four DVDs in my house... just wondering... Does the wii have any like sound output thingys.. yes that red and white wire thing to connect to stereos and other stuff.

Video_freak
October 4th, 2006, 00:21
Does the wii have any like sound output thingys.. yes that red and white wire thing to connect to stereos and other stuff.
Why wouldn't it?

$200 would be fine for me, other than the fact that a "full controller" (Wiimote + Nunchuck) is worth $60! :(

fg-54
October 4th, 2006, 00:26
yea, the controlers for the wii are just too expencive.

philr359
October 4th, 2006, 00:38
Does the wii have any like sound output thingys.. yes that red and white wire thing to connect to stereos and other stuff.

without them there wouldn't be any sound :p

gotmilk0112
October 4th, 2006, 03:01
WII is not 1/2 the size of gamecube!!! if it was then it would be called a portable system!!

Xiro
October 4th, 2006, 03:28
WII is not 1/2 the size of gamecube!!! if it was then it would be called a portable system!!

its not much bigger than an opened DS...

philr359
October 4th, 2006, 03:44
the lower the better, i just realized im gonna be spending around $300 on games...

gotmilk0112
October 4th, 2006, 12:35
as...b-b-ig as a....DS?!?!?!?!?!? O_O;;;;;
in all the commercials it looks bigger.

but still,

O_O;

CampaKaze
October 4th, 2006, 19:58
Well, it would have been cool if the Wii had a DVD drive, because, lots of people dont know how to change their tv to play on a DVD player or it just takes like 5 min to do so, and it gets annoying :P but i dont mind, cus i kno how :)

Dark Google
October 4th, 2006, 21:13
"WII is not 1/2 the size of gamecube!!! if it was then it would be called a portable system!!"

No, it wouldn't. Just because it's half the size, doesn't make it portable in the sense of a DS or PSP. It had to be plugged it, with the motion bar on the top of the TV.

Although it is portable in the sense of it can be eassily moved around. That's why you can buy those bags to put it in.

GagaMan
October 5th, 2006, 15:46
Wah wah wah, $50 too much for me etc.

You could just, you know, not buy it, or wait till they lower the pricve. I'm getting tried of all this price whining.

geise69
October 5th, 2006, 16:48
The reason it's 250 and not 199 is because they added in Wii Sports. If that wasn't bundled in it would be 199. It would be nice if it was 199, because an extra controller and an extra game at launch would make it over 350 dollars. Almost 400 if you add tax. I'm married, own a house and have a fixed income, so a 199 price would be great.

Amethyst
October 5th, 2006, 22:26
Well, it would have been cool if the Wii had a DVD drive, because, lots of people dont know how to change their tv to play on a DVD player or it just takes like 5 min to do so, and it gets annoying :P but i dont mind, cus i kno how :)

My brother claims to not know how to plug in the DVD and I feel like slapping him everytime he asks me to hook up the DVD player. It's f'cking colour coded (although we have two red plugs instead of a yellow. But the video plug has a gray wire)!

I have a PS2 but I use the DVD player to watch movies because I was told this really old rumour when the PS2 first came out that playing DVDs in the PS2 reduces the life of the hardware. It sounds like bullsh't but I really don't care if the rumour's false. My PS2 is for gaming, not movies and music. That's why I have a DVD player with MP3 playback.