PDA

View Full Version : Remote Play" confirmed for PSP, PS3 connectivity

wraggster
October 3rd, 2006, 22:48
News from PSPVault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article698.psp)

Good news for anyone who owns a PSP and may be purchasing a PS3. Sony is currently demonstrating several of the Playstation 3's features at CEATEC JAPAN 2006, a consumer electronics convention currently taking place in Japan.

Sony has been demoing the Playstation 3's "Cross Media Bar" interface, which if you own a PSP, you're already familiar with.

During the demonstration, Sony showed an icon under the Playstation 3's "Network" menu called "Remote Play." As you can see in the image below, it clearly depicts a PSP. Sony has also confirmed that you will be able to use the PS3's integrated WiFi functionality to "throw" the PS3's video signal to your PSP. Details were found in Game Watch's coverage of the event. So not only will you be able to use your PSP to control your PS3 games, you'll be able to use your PSP to see your PS3 games.

It should be noted that because only the 60GB Playstation 3 model includes integrated WiFi, this function will apparently not be available on the 20GB model.

This feature may just be one small component of Sony's implementation of DLNA on the Playstation 3. Other possible (as in, we're just guessing) implementations include being able to watch movies from the PS3's Blu-ray/hard drive on the PSP, and being able to watch UMD-Video on the PS3.

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 22:55
Wow, thats f*in amazing! I am so looking forward to the PS3 now, knowing that these things are possible.

mexicansnake
October 3rd, 2006, 22:58
Sounds great!!, another big reason to buy the PS3!.

Emeriastone
October 3rd, 2006, 23:10
If this is true then maybe it will be considerably worth throwing down 600 USD for the PS3. This is definately going to be an awesome product if this is the case.

digihoe
October 3rd, 2006, 23:14
FInnaly the PSP's real potential will be used!

Kramer
October 3rd, 2006, 23:15
Hmm That is going to be a good feature just imagine playing PS3 laying in bed on my PSP.

Well this feature has me wanting the PS3 so I think I might buy it on the first price drop, probably this time next year.

emuking
October 3rd, 2006, 23:46
now those features make me want to buy a ps3, see people sony comes through in the end :)

Video_freak
October 3rd, 2006, 23:51
Although this is seems really cool, why would you want to play high definition PS3 game son a 480x272 screen?
I think its more of a gimmic to get people to buy...

Veskgar
October 3rd, 2006, 23:51
Cool stuff!!

The PSP is finally going to be getting some useful features and interactivity with the PS3. Especially when WiFi is concerned. This might just tip the scale in leaning towards getting a 2nd PSP so as to not give up on my 1.50 bliss.

I said that before concerning commercial games but then the groundbreaking DevHook was released and I've been living good with just my 1 1.50 PSP.

So I think I will give it some time and hope that even higher firmwares can be tapped into using a 1.50.

Although this is seems really cool, why would you want to play high definition PS3 game son a 480x272 screen?
That is soo true. The PS3's HD is going to be amazing. Its too bad a lot of people may not know the difference between the basic PS3 and the LOADED PS3. I'd hate to be the kid on Christmas opening a PS3 only to find out it is the 20GB version. I would hope that PS3 games utilize the PS3 so that you can see certain elements of the game on the PS3 but the main gameplay is on an HDTV.

cureo
October 3rd, 2006, 23:57
i play my PSP in my car in a cloud of smoke.

thinking about being able to do the same with the ps3 with my psp is VERY tempting.

Vangar
October 4th, 2006, 00:26

I agree, if you have a PS3 why not just play it on your bigass TV screen...

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 00:45
Its not so much a gimmick, now the owner of PSP and PS3 are not limited to their living room to enjoy their favorite PS3 titles. Also, TV, DVDs, BD-Rom movies and music can all be accessed with this connectivity.

Its far from a gimmick... Not to mention, I'd rather have a system that has those gimmicks than be limited to something like the Wii, that can't do a damn thing besides play games...

MaxSMoke
October 4th, 2006, 01:21
All of these features sound really excellent, 'cept for one *REALLY BAD* fact... NEW FIRMWARE REQUIRED!

You don't think they are going to let us Homebrew lovers enjoy any of these abilities, do you? I might be able to get away with it, as I have two PSP's, so I can Spoil one with the nasty new firmware, and still do FW 1.5 on the old one. But for you guys with one PSP, you're going to be hosed.

Let's hope that Firmware 3.0 is as easy to Emulate as Firmware 2.71!

self0
October 4th, 2006, 01:36
Update 1: We may have spoke too soon -- Famitsu's coverage of the same event presents a different story. They say that "Remote Play" will be used to, and I quote, "download Playstation 3 content to the PSP." That's a bit different from Game Watch's take, so I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

http://www.psp-vault.com/Article698.psp

Kramer
October 4th, 2006, 01:43
Yeah I thought it was too good to be true and what were they going to do for controls anyway.

Anger
October 4th, 2006, 01:50
should i be the nay-sayer and point out that such a feature will possibly be mostly application specific? anyone remember the gamecube/gba linkup? only like 1 or 2 games actually supported the link. now we know its possible that the xmb will control the feature and if this is the case then using the psp as a screen is certainly feasible. of course this is sony - fully expect the ps3 to not support this feature right out of the box - instead expect it in the myriad of firmware updates they have planned to add 'features' that it didnt previously have. if i win the lottery i will buy a ps3 but no matter how many good features they add - to me they just cant justify that price tag. yes they say the technology is a bargain but thats only because sony own the rights to it and sony set the price of it as well. its kinda like you take your car to a garage that is the only one in the world that can fix it - they say the part is maybe £500 but thats a bargain because the newest car with that part is way more expensive but you can still only get that car from that one place. they set the price, we either have to stump it up or let there investment go down the tubes. sorry for veering off topic but sonys pricing is just plain takin the ____. on topic - i like the idea of this feature and if done right those who can afford the ps3 will really enjoy it. that game video that was shown (basketball) it was only when the animation glitched did i realise it was a game playing - very impressive. (yeah i know off topic again - sorry)

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 01:52
Hmm... Well thats a real bubble burster, but yeah I hadn't even thought about controls...

But I fail to see how "Remote Play" can equate to "Download PS3 content to the PSP". Which how does that work either? If its PS3 content I assume the PSP couldn't run it (game, graphics and controls required that the PSP just doesn't have).

dmac
October 4th, 2006, 02:09
Definetly buying the 60GB version. Don't even waste your money on the cheaper console.

lilvietquoc
October 4th, 2006, 03:43
well if not psp connectivity, the ps3 is packed with dozens of other features

Vega
October 4th, 2006, 15:20
sweet. so this means I could turn on my PS3 downstairs... grab a controller and my psp... go upstairs and play using the ps3 controller and PSP? Tell ya' what.. that sounds f*ckin sweet.

benn
October 4th, 2006, 15:50
did any of you read the article? most of it is based IN THEORY!!!!

this means that the PS3 could stream audio or video and may allow something like the old dreamcast VMU (sweet memories of DC). i really dont know how it would play PS3 games or even why you would want to considering the money you are paying for high end graphics and resolution. then there are the issues over 2 shoulder buttons and 2 analog sticks! and with regards to streaming movies, again why are you paying $600+ for a blue ray HD machine + however much your HDTV costs only to then watch it on a tiny low res screen?

i think the main way that it will be used by the system is for cross game saves etc. take a game like monster hunter. you can play the whole thing on PS3, but when you need to go out, you can transfer your file and continue your farming whilst on the go. then when you come back, you stream updated file to PS3 and play on with new weapons etc.

finally, you have to remember that this is the PSP and Sony we are talking about. The same PSP with a totally redundant IR port, a totally underused wifi...

jinqui242
October 4th, 2006, 16:51
I'll believe it when I'm playing it.

When Nintendo did something similar with the GBA and Gamecube, like on Zelda: Wind Waker, it was tepid at best. You had to keep the GBA plugged in because the battery would run out fast. The connecting cord was also too short. The gimmick got old fast.

It might be neat to use the PSP to wirelessly transfer saves or other files, but I already have three different kinds of flash memory, so I'll probably just plug them directly into the PS3.

Who would want to use the PSP controls over a superior PS3 controller anyway? I still haven't watched a full length movie on my PSP yet, so I doubt I will when the PS3 is involved.

goldenmage
October 4th, 2006, 17:53
Update 1: We may have spoke too soon -- Famitsu's coverage of the same event presents a different story. They say that "Remote Play" will be used to, and I quote, "download Playstation 3 content to the PSP." That's a bit different from Game Watch's take, so I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

http://www.psp-vault.com/Article698.psp

But how about the 'Formula One' demo at E3? They showed the PSP streaming video straight from the PS3. This feature is stilll highly possible. Although, like mentioned before, we'll probably see it in a future PSP/PS3 firmware update. And I HIGHLY doubt that the 3.0 firmware can be as easily emulated as the 2.71 firmware (if at all).

Vega
October 4th, 2006, 18:32
did any of you read the article? most of it is based IN THEORY!!!!

this means that the PS3 could stream audio or video and may allow something like the old dreamcast VMU (sweet memories of DC). i really dont know how it would play PS3 games or even why you would want to considering the money you are paying for high end graphics and resolution. then there are the issues over 2 shoulder buttons and 2 analog sticks! and with regards to streaming movies, again why are you paying $600+ for a blue ray HD machine + however much your HDTV costs only to then watch it on a tiny low res screen?

i think the main way that it will be used by the system is for cross game saves etc. take a game like monster hunter. you can play the whole thing on PS3, but when you need to go out, you can transfer your file and continue your farming whilst on the go. then when you come back, you stream updated file to PS3 and play on with new weapons etc.

finally, you have to remember that this is the PSP and Sony we are talking about. The same PSP with a totally redundant IR port, a totally underused wifi...

yes... we did read the article . i read this...

During the demonstration, Sony showed an icon under the Playstation 3's "Network" menu called "Remote Play." As you can see in the image below, it clearly depicts a PSP. Sony has also confirmed that you will be able to use the PS3's integrated WiFi functionality to "throw" the PS3's video signal to your PSP. Details were found in Game Watch's coverage of the event. So not only will you be able to use your PSP to control your PS3 games, you'll be able to use your PSP to see your PS3 games

So I dont know how or where the hell you are getting the VMU idea. If it sends video and audio signals, it will be highly likely that the streamed material will be that same display which would be on your TV. It just makes sense.
Sony aren't dumb, everyone knows of the disgrace which was GBA / Gamecube connectivity. Sony really wont make be so half arsed to turn the PSP into an inventory screen.

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 19:56
We'll have to wait and see what the truth is, personally I think its both. We have 'heard rumor' for the last year that the PSP would serve as a video/audio hub for the PS3 for people who would want to play their games away from the PS3 (control wise would suck, but having the PS3's wireless controllers, its possible).

I'd hope that the PSP->PS3 connectivity would function as such:

1)PS3 can stream games, movies, tv and music to the PSP

2)PSP can stream UMD movies to the PS3

3)PSP can possibly stream games to the PS3 (more like a Mount Network Drive feature)

4)PSP can serve as a feature in specific games supporting it (for instance, rear view mirror in racing games, map in Resident Evil, MGS, etc type games, maybe an inventory screen for RPGs or party member status screen, etc)

5)This would be redundant, but possible streaming of PS1 games on the PS1 emu on PSP. Simply because, for those who are too young to have been around for PS1 yet have downloaded PS1 games to the PSP, makes it possible for them to play them, as well as being able to make use of the superior controller (thus increasing the amount of games playable).