PDA

View Full Version : Hirai defends PS3 pad

wraggster
October 4th, 2006, 16:40
Sony chose not to include force feedback in its PlayStation 3 controller because it was worried how much it would have to charge for the resultant product.

That's according to SCEA boss Kaz Hirai, who told UK games website Kikizo that the decision not to include rumble features in addition to motion-sensing was a strategic, not a technical one.

"The issue is trying to isolate the vibration feature from the motion sensors," he said. "Is it technically feasible? Absolutely. But the balancing act that you need to do, is to be able to present the controller to the consumer at an affordable price."

Despite facing a backlash at E3, Hirai reckons that the extra cost involved in putting both in the same pad would have been "doing the consumer a huge disservice". You can make your own jokes about PlayStation 3 pricing here if you like.

Individual PS3 controllers, named "Sixaxis", will be sold for 5,000 yen in Japan, which is about 22 Hermajestycoins or 33 Euran-out-of-funny-ones-yesterdays.

cloud_952
October 4th, 2006, 16:54
...Hirai reckons that the extra cost involved in putting both in the same pad would have been "doing the consumer a huge disservice".

o_O The very suggestion that Sony is even remotely concerned about making me spend more money than I absolutely have to is laughable at best.

JesusXP
October 4th, 2006, 17:39
bulllllllshiiiiiiiiiit

Yeah, the extra vibration would have brought the console to well over 700$... thank god they left it out... that coupled with the cable they want to leave out, and you know... thank god, Sony loves us.

Immersion already said they could do it... sony just hates when they cant do it themselves... too bad they couldnt rip it off in time for E3... when they unveiled this piece of garbage

muffinman
October 4th, 2006, 17:40
they may be thinking about atleast making it cheaper than the 360 contollers. I saw a man pick up 3 of them costing him over £100 i mean there like £35 each

crazy...

JesusXP
October 4th, 2006, 17:45
guarentee the PS3 controllers are the same price if not more than 360 controllers my friend... Sony just does that... All Sony products are more expensive... its to appeal to the people who buy crap, based on the fact they believe its better if its more money. (same reason PS3 will be a huge success)

jerrt
October 4th, 2006, 19:14
guarentee the PS3 controllers are the same price if not more than 360 controllers my friend... Sony just does that... All Sony products are more expensive... its to appeal to the people who buy crap, based on the fact they believe its better if its more money. (same reason PS3 will be a huge success)
my experiences differ from yours sir. i pay a little extra for a sony product because so far, my sony stuff has worked better, had more features, and lasted longer than any of my similar non-sony branded items. i will say that some of their product lines include lower price, lesser quality items, but they do this to try and reach a broader market.

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 20:21
I have never had a problem with Sony's equipment; its when I decide to save a few bucks and buy something 3rd party that I get screwed...

Thats what ****ing pisses me off to no end about the PSP. There almost NO Sony made accessories for it. I bought two 3rd party home theatre docking stations and both of them ****ing suck, speakers are terrible and seems to short out the PSP whenever I have it on PSP Charge Mode.

If Sony made them, the speakers wouldn't be of the quality that you find in the $1 bin at a best buy and it wouldn't be shittily designed.

I just hope that Sony releases a rumble controller at some point in the future.

briyan
October 4th, 2006, 21:59
here's my take on this..vibration is overrated (tell that to your girlfriend), seriously it doesn't make any sense whatsoever in the first place..it's useless technology for what..to make you feel a blocked shot, the recoil when firing a rifle, when your car is getting dinged..i mean i don't need all that..if i wanna feel something that will get in me "in the game", surely the sense of vibration on my hands don't exactly compensate or even come close to what "I should be feeling while playing the game"

Adrenalin
October 5th, 2006, 14:27
yeah, vibration isn't particularly valuable, but its a nice extra.
and seriously this price shit is bull. everyone knows they can't use vibration cuz imersion will be on their ass and sony don't like to admit defeat like with the ps2 controller vib.