PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories Hands-on

wraggster
October 4th, 2006, 17:47
Heres an excerpt:

Rockstar's GTA series first hit the PSP last year with Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, and in a few short weeks the follow-up will hit Sony's portable powerhouse. We recently had a chance to get our grubby mitts on the latest build of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories to see how well the '80s have made their way to the PSP. Playing through three different missions, we managed to get behind the wheel of a buggy, ATV and a number of different cars, as well as put our hands on the flight stick of a helicopter.

One of the biggest questions surrounding Vice City Stories is regarding said helicopters. Specifically, how well they fly, how the controls work and how well the engine can handle drawing the massive world of Vice City. In short, the answer is anywhere from very well to fantastically. Despite requiring the system to draw the entirety of Vice City at essentially any time, the game still holds a very solid framerate. There's some pop-in to be sure, but it's not really any worse than we remember seeing from GTA: Vice City on the PS2. In other words, Rockstar has certainly upped the technical bar it set in the first game and the results are impressive.

The chopper's flight mechanic uses X and Square for throttle control while the analog stick pivots and tilts in any direction and L and R are used to turn. It took us a very short time to get used to the controls, and most of the learning curve simply has to do with how far or long you need to tilt or turn in order to shift direction. But functionally, it's about as natural as could be and really feels great. Good stuff here.

In one of the three missions we tried, we had a chance to hop aboard both an ATV and a dune buggy. The ATV is a squirrelly little rascal, quick to get going but not all too fast. It turns on a dime though, making it great for navigating through numerous pedestrians should you not want to up your civilian kill count. The dune buggy, on the other hand, is much faster and a little more maneuverable on sand than the ATV. Its physics properties combined with the rough and hilly beach that we were on made it feel "bumpy" in that you need to watch how far you're turning the wheels while in mid-air or you'll skip quickly to one side when your wheels touch down again. Slightly tricky stuff, but this is exactly how it should be.

Full Article (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/736/736948p1.html)

canwemakelove
October 4th, 2006, 17:48
this game is guna rock

Rocksil
October 4th, 2006, 18:22
i just cant wait

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 20:02
Me neither, but I hope they have upped the ante on Multiplayer. GIVE US INFRASTRUCTURE!!!

Seriously, the PSP could be everyone's dream machine if Sony made a dedicated online PSP service (the PSP's equivalent of Xbox Live). Doesn't anyone agree?

Cloud_35
October 4th, 2006, 20:35
Oh jesus, I'm gonna get old seeing threads of the game saying: "Almost done guys!! Just wait three months more!!"

briyan
October 4th, 2006, 21:50
woo hoo! i can't wait to have Vice City in my pocket..of course i don't mean that literally..as i currently do not have pants that can fit a PSP comfortably..

AtariFreek
October 5th, 2006, 00:00
I can't wait for this game! Iv'e been crapping myself waiting for it.

pibs
October 5th, 2006, 00:04
I just hope we have a devhook for it >< that would suck just having it there collecting dust while ur waiting for a new dh release.

JKKDARK
October 5th, 2006, 00:07
I can't wait for this great game. the only good serie for psp :)

gamesquest1
October 5th, 2006, 00:24
well having this game released i hope will spark everybody to hack psp like mad again :P so fimware's will hopefully be hacked quicker, or atleast some work around for it to work on 2.71 :D

-=me=-
October 5th, 2006, 01:13
too bad there wont wont be a cheat device.... EdisonCarter's LCS one really made my day

ICE
October 5th, 2006, 05:42
there bloody better be a devhook with 2.8 in it or i will be super pissed and conflicted on what to do.

Billz
October 5th, 2006, 15:47
We still dont kno if Sony will release with an even higher version of firmware. i.e. V3.0

Come on Booster, we need you !!

briyan
October 5th, 2006, 16:20
i'm pretty sure this will come out as 2.71. i bought NBA Live 07 for the PSP last week and i made it work with devhook. i'm almost positive that within a span of 2-3 weeks until this game's release, they wouldn't have the ability to change the firmware requirement that easy. i mean this game has been in development for some time already and i'm sure they developed it with the intent of releasing it as 2.71. also, if i were rockstar or even sony, knowing that devhook is probably populating 60% of the PSP's sold out there..it would be wise to make it compatible to devhook. i'm sure a lot of people out there like myself wouldn't mind buying REALLY GOOD games if it were to work with devhook. considering this game might take up all of your MS space anyways..we can always hope for this to happen!

splodger15
October 5th, 2006, 20:58
It will come out with 2.80