PDA

View Full Version : roms directory (?)

oopf
February 25th, 2005, 13:33
Hello!
I have my small collection of neo roms, and am wondering where to put these when burning neo4all -
I made a 'roms' directory, but got an error (no CD.. looking in /cd)

Do the roms simply go in the root directory? or in a directory named 'cd' ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

chui
February 25th, 2005, 13:35
NEO4ALL only loads NEOGEO CDROMS, emulate NEOGEO/CD; but we think loads roms at future.

oopf
February 25th, 2005, 13:40
Ahhh! Okay, thanks for the info!

evilo
February 28th, 2005, 10:54
Great, I also just started adding it in the PS2 version (but most of what I've done is redesigning the source code to manage required changes). And all i've concretely done so far is to load the NG bios and make a dummy rom conversion to load it as a cd rom, but without success ;)

just to say that as we are 3 people working in 3 different version (2 on DC, 1 on PS2) maybe it would be time to share stuff ... ? uh ?

quzar
February 28th, 2005, 11:04
oddly enough, over the past few weeks ive been working on the same thing. Other than that ive been looking at 3 different emulator sources to help improve the current emulation status. Among other things I was able to get sound working in Aero Fighters 2 and 3. I also updated the sound cores (2610 and 8910) to the mame .92 versions

evilo
February 28th, 2005, 14:34
oh nice ;) so it seems that everybody is planning to add rom support to neocd ;) I'm, on my side, inspiring myself from the gngeo code (which is closer than mame to neocd). I'm currently trying to execute neobomberman (but I'm stuck on an exception generated at first 68000 execution...)

Elsem about the switch to last mame cores (0.92) did you noticed any speed increase/decrease ? Better sound quality/compatibility ?

quzar
February 28th, 2005, 15:20
speed goes down, and i know I did something wrong because i get a lot of static, but the sound effects are all still there and sound more... arcade realistic, if that makes any sense. (the ones based on mame .36 seem very manufactured, or perfect, whereas actual arcade machines sound more rough).

evilo
February 28th, 2005, 16:03
This is also what I noticed some times ago when I've used latest mame driver, but it seems also that the fm.h is less configurable than the 0.36 version (so some tricks to speed it up cannot be reused easily...)

so better to stay with the old one.. no ?

quzar
February 28th, 2005, 16:07
well, if you're interested in speed, yes. For a while I had a semi-updated version, which mostly just had any values modified to the more accurate versions, without adding newer features ( one big feature is the ay8910's write enable register, which previously wasnt emulated. this makes sounds that are meant to be broken, like an explosion, sound more artificial).

anyways, i keep with the older version for now, in the long term it would nice to upgrade =P.

evilo
February 28th, 2005, 18:05
hmm...

unfortunately c68k is working slower than the musashi core for me on the ps2, and cz80 is not working... (no sound output when I'm using it, and after comparing what i've done with your code and the one from chui everything seems to be fine in my interface), so yes : actually speed is my interest ;)

So i prefer to sacrify sounds quality and keep these cycles to draw some more frames ;)

quzar
February 28th, 2005, 18:18
you are probably compiling c68k incorrectly because there is almost no way that it should work slower than musashi. you need to make sure to turn off things like gcse

evilo
February 28th, 2005, 19:11
depends... maybe the code is also inapropriate (is this an english word?) to a mips processor...

will recheck it later anyway and bother stef on it ;( ... but i'd like to have at least one of both working... and mame portable z80 is so damn slow ! I'm sure i'm loosing something 5 fps/s when using it (respecting to the older one, which was not working 100%).

quzar
February 28th, 2005, 19:26
you might try using cmz80. Its a replacement for the original one that is fully C and about 2x faster as well as more accurate. if anything, i would reccomend trying to upgrade to stef's new Cz80 core, which is much faster than the mame core.

JohnnyB
April 21st, 2006, 04:23
Does NEO4ALL/AES support ROM directories of our choosing, or do I have to place my ROMS in the root directory?

chui
April 26th, 2006, 11:15
c68k interface is not updated, its not valid, but you can change it comparing to fame interface.

It is important, c68k runs very fast instead mushashi.

chui
April 26th, 2006, 11:17
Does NEO4ALL/AES support ROM directories of our choosing, or do I have to place my ROMS in the root directory?

Yes, NEO4ALL/AES have filemanager, put your converted ROMS where you want.

RssV
May 21st, 2006, 21:49
Yes, NEO4ALL/AES have filemanager, put your converted ROMS where you want.

Hi there, chui!

OK, so I got a little confused here. NEO4ALL has or has not support for ROMs? Cause just like the maker of this thread, I tried to put Neo Neo CD ROMs in lots os directories, but the emulator always shows a "no rom" message...

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

chui
May 21st, 2006, 23:24
There are 2 NEO4ALLs, CDROM and AES.

NEO4ALL/CDROM emulates NeoGeo CD-ROM console:
http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/neo4all.html

And NEO4ALL/AES emulates NeoGeo AES and Arcade systems, but the ROMs have to convert for running:
http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/aes4all.html

I recomend to use NEO4ALL/CDROM for games released for NeoGeo CD-ROM console, because there are not any problem with memory space.

NEO4ALL/AES uses virtual memory for loading large roms. Very large roms can to be unplayeble for contining page fliping.

RssV
May 22nd, 2006, 02:38
My bad, now I got it :) Thanks for replying.