PDA

View Full Version : [PSP]Release: PSPText Editor with IR Keyboard Support

F9zDark
October 5th, 2006, 06:29
Background:

About a year ago, Agoln and DrPollo, were working and released (separately) an IR Keyboard Config/Driver program and a PSPTextEditor (called PSPTed). I, so enthused about the IR Keyboard bought it and gave Agoln's program a test run, and was amazed at how good it was.

Then I found PSPTed and immediately running it, contacted DrPollo(Source Forge name) to see about a joint venture, combining the two programs.

Well, a year later, I have finally held up my end of the deal (even though both parties ceased work on their respective programs).

Without further ado, I give you the readme:

Program Name: PSPTed with IR Keyboard Support
Credits: Logan Buesching and Alberto Cuesta Cañada

It is with great pleasure that I am able to release this. I had almost thought that all hope was lost. But alas, I was able to find to the IR Keyboard program from the days of old and put it to use.

Something to note before continuing: I take NO credit for this release. All I did was butcher the code (of PSPTed, Alberto's work) to integrate the Keyboard driver with it. So both Logan and Alberto deserve ALL the credit for this, since it was their work originally.

I do, however, plan to make this better as time goes on. Perhaps with a file system and mouse cursor, but we'll see. If not this program has some use for people needing to take notes on the go and has as a built in Load and Save function from Logan's original keyboard driver.

*Equipment Needed*

-IR Keyboard. MP-0118 Micro Innovations Keyboard was what the driver was programmed for and was tested extensively by myself and Logan. Other keyboards MAY work or they MAY NOT work. However, if a keyboard does not work, contact me at [email protected] and I'll see about getting support for your keyboard.

*Installation* (Supports 1.50 only for the moment; 1.0 might work but not tested)

1)Copy KBINIT and KBINIT% to the PSP\Game folder

2)Copy PSPTedwIR and PSPTedwIR% to the PSP\Game folder

3)Run KBINIT and follow the instructions on-screen for setting up your keyboard. It will save a Keyboard Config file to the root of the memstick. Exit when done. It may not exit with the home button, if it doesn't just hold the power switch until the PSP turns off or remove the battery.

4)Run PSPTed w/ IR Keyboard Support and give it a whirl!

*Controls*

In PSPTed you can Save and Load a txt file to and from the root of the memory stick. The file is saved as "savedData.txt". These controls are actuated on the PSP.

O - Saves File
^ - Loads File

*Known Issues*

-Keyboard Init may hang on exit
-PSPTed has no way to scroll down, change text lines (without hitting enter) or navigate through lines of text or across a line of text.

*Disclaimer*

You, the user, assumes all liability with using this program. It is safe, but heaven forbid, your PSP should blow up before, during or after using this program, it is not Logan's, Alberto's or my responsibility. Consider yourself warned.

TODO:

- Add UP,Down,Left,Right support on keyboard
- Add scrolling and movement along and between lines of text
- Add more advanced Save and Load feature

Things to Dream About:

- A mouse cursor for instant line changes and highlighting
- Copy & Paste
- Change font color

*Bugs*

If you find any bugs, please post them here, or direct them to my email @ [email protected]

Insofar, the only bug I know is that KBinit does not exit properly and will need the battery to be removed.

Do not contact Agoln of DrPollo with support/bugs.

*Disclaimer (here it is again, in case you missed it)

You, the user, assumes all liability with using this program. It is safe, but heaven forbid, your PSP should blow up before, during or after using this program, it is not Logan's(Agoln), Alberto's(DrPollo) or my responsibility. Consider yourself warned.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Nafogel
October 5th, 2006, 06:34
cool. i want a wireless keyboard now. you should see about getting this implemented with a homebrew web browser. that would rock!!!

F9zDark
October 5th, 2006, 06:42
I need testers with IR keyboards to give this program a shot. If it works with a great number of keyboards then it will be more feasible to have it integrated into other homebrew.

Who knows, maybe RAF and team will see this and introduce it into Links :)

Sterist
October 5th, 2006, 06:57
i needed this so bad!!! yesterday!!

anurag
October 5th, 2006, 07:06
really nice app.

angusW
October 5th, 2006, 07:13
This sounds really cool.

The IR port on the PSP is on the top. Are there any problems using this keyboard with the psp? If you were sitting infront of a wall I don't see a problem but say there was nothing in front of you for the IR to bounce off.

If not then I'll get one.

Ok, I see there's a reflector that extends above the psp so no problems :)

F9zDark
October 5th, 2006, 07:18
My Pocketop came with a PDA stand, which has a chromatic plastic piece for reflecting the IR signal. This works great with the PSP as well, but takes some messing around with to get perfect.

Agoln had mentioned implementing code for turning the image on the PSP upside down (so that when you turn the PSP upside down the so the IR port faces the keyboard, the screen will appear right side up). I saw no code in his work doing this.

I will work on that next in fact, since its not too difficult to implement and will work wonders for the app's usability.

If you get a keyboard, I'd suggest getting the Pocketop, since I know that works. But if you want to get another one to test it, be my guest, but I cannot assure that it will work.

emuking
October 5th, 2006, 07:27
now all they need to do is use it on a devhooked psp web browser :D

mr_nick666
October 5th, 2006, 09:36
Agoln had mentioned implementing code for turning the image on the PSP upside down (so that when you turn the PSP upside down the so the IR port faces the keyboard, the screen will appear right side up). I saw no code in his work doing this.

I will work on that next in fact, since its not too difficult to implement and will work wonders for the app's usability.

This is such a wicked application! (may have to invest in an IR keyboard now I have a reason) :D

I was wondering about the sensor location too but flipping the screen is a great idea (an obvious solution that I didnt think of!) :p

Keep working on this and who knows what applications will follow!? :eek: Superb work ;)

razorak
October 5th, 2006, 10:44
time for me to dig up my old dusty keyboards...lol

Lukeson
October 5th, 2006, 12:30
Cool! My father owns that keyboard!! If there will be an IRC-Client supporting this one day, i'll be the happiest dude on the planet!!

Veskgar
October 5th, 2006, 13:45
This is really cool. Just wanted to let you know that the work is appreciated. I have a Belkin wireless keyboard I may test with this and let you know the results.

E.J.
October 5th, 2006, 14:03
Great!!! but the MP-0118 is a little expensive, i wonder how would it go with one of the cheaper KB (Belkin Logitech, etc..). anyway, i think the changes to make it work with other keyboards shouln'd be very drastic.

Now the only thing lacking is a IRC, MSN, ICQ, etc... client program.

r2works
October 6th, 2006, 01:23
this would work great with Doom, Duke Nukem and Quake!

and these keyboards are soo portable!!!

Video_freak
October 6th, 2006, 01:29
One step closer to full PSP keyboard support. Thank you so much guys. :)

watupgroupie
October 6th, 2006, 01:41
so this would't work with like a wireless microsoft keyboard would it i don't know much about ir ports. so do the ports have to be facing eachother or what.

mavsman4457
October 6th, 2006, 02:19
That keyboard is going fro $10 shipped on ebay if you want to buy it from there. I have a Palm keyboard and I will try it on that tomorrow. I hate it though because my PSP can't fit comfortably on the keyboard.

F9zDark
October 6th, 2006, 03:17
Yeah its a pain so far, easiest for me is turning the psp upside down; but this doesn't work too well considering the screen is then upside down too. I am trying to work on getting the screen to rotate 180 degrees, but its been painstaking...

But I'll figure it out eventually.

F9zDark
October 19th, 2006, 20:48
Howdy all, been away for awhile (sorry not much progress on it; screen rotation is harder than I anticipated with my limited C skills).

I wanted to see how others have fared with their keyboards, if there are any issues or problems?

When I get back into the swing of things (have some tests coming up in school) I'll try to implement a file browser. Was working on one before my absence, but have yet to implement it into PSPTed, namely because the code is real crap.

xchinamanx
October 20th, 2006, 01:20
sweet, if there was an keyboard emulator so u can use ur laptop as a IR keyboard, that would be awsome, can any1 try to find me one? ill be sweet!

PS*cause laptops has IR ports

LilSwish722
October 20th, 2006, 02:46
would this work on a 2.8

-lavos-
October 20th, 2006, 14:41
Anyone have tested with a belkin ir keyboard?

Laestrigone
October 25th, 2006, 06:15
Well i tried it with a standard palm ir keyboard, and i must say, im glad it recognized it. The major problem is though, the keyboard signal is about 1/4 second long, which makes it skip from a to g then im entering it in the driver program. This is an e-z fix if... say a one second delay is put in between signal recognizing. other than that. nice work man!

-lavos-
October 25th, 2006, 21:43
I have tested with a Belkin keyboard, recognizing speed is ok but keys are wrong :( If press A, I see BS

The keyboard setup doesn´t work... :(

gungriffon
October 5th, 2007, 20:49
i need a help someone can make work the psp ted in my psp cfw 3.52 m33 hummmm??? work the program in this??? i have a palm universal keyboard... plz someone reply in this email [email protected]

gabepayor
February 22nd, 2008, 19:02
I Gotta Try This

Remixxed
February 23rd, 2008, 19:56
Wonderful release (: