PDA

View Full Version : Play PS2 in high-def

wraggster
October 5th, 2006, 16:41
Normally, when hooked up to a HDTV the PS2 would produce a hideously blurry picture. But the Xploder HDTV Player disc fixes this problem, allowing you to play any PS2 game in pin-sharp resolutions.

For those who are on their tech-speak, this disc allows you to put the PS2 into 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i modes. That's high-res, for the techno newbies out there. It also includes VGA support, so you can hook your PS2 up to a PC monitor.

All you do is plonk the CD into the PS2 and up pops a menu screen. Set your desired resolution, insert your game and off you go. We tested it with two Sony HDTVs, both running OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast. With the HDTV Player pre-loaded on one PS2, the difference was immediately noticeable. We're talking Xbox 360 sharpness, and absolutely no effect on frame-rates at all.

It works simply by unlocking a high-def mode that already exists within the PS2's hardware. The Xploder HDTV Player comes bundled with a PS2 component cable needed for a HD signal, and will hit shops for £29.99.

An exact release has not yet been set, but it's due to hit shops before the end of October.

briyan
October 5th, 2006, 16:59
holy freakin cow man! is this for real? i should get one of these..hopefully it works just as it says it does..need it to hook up the 42" plasma at home.

mcvader
October 5th, 2006, 17:12
If HD output is already inbuilt into the ps2 why havnt sony been let us use it? they should be promoting it.

Kramer
October 5th, 2006, 17:18
So now the PS2 has become a PS3 pretty much:p

muffinman
October 5th, 2006, 20:22
hey it doesnt do 1080p :p

anyways ill buy one of these resi 4 isnt the same and dmc3 :'(

SnesR0X
October 11th, 2006, 03:20
That sounds great, i wonder if the release date is the same in north america?

Video_freak
October 11th, 2006, 03:21
need it to hook up the 42" plasma at home.
Meh, I wish I had one... :(

SnesR0X
October 11th, 2006, 03:30
Meh, I wish I had one... :(
My 32 inch proview (yeah, nobody knows about it!) is HDTV compatable, i just don't know how hig it can go up to in definition. Anyway, what do you have Video Freak?

Video_freak
October 11th, 2006, 03:33
I have a 30 inch TV, normal (not flat screen or LCD or w/e). But my mom's boyfriend has a phat ass HDTV. :D
We're going to move into a bigger house in a year or so (once they're married...)

SnesR0X
October 11th, 2006, 03:52
My dad is going to get a HDTV for his place soon, he's wanted to do that ever since we moved, but opposing forces made that impossible(stepmom):)
anyway, yea, sweet HDTV, and we're finally going to replace that piece of crap comp at his place. He has his own awsome laptop for work, and i have a good comp at other home so this one's goign to be crazy, he said he's going to make sure it'll be great for gaming:)

AtariFreek
October 11th, 2006, 04:06
Sweet! I was wondering if my PS2 was HDTV compatable! Now i can play Gran Turismo 4 In HIGH DEF!!! Well....soon anyway lol.

SnesR0X
October 11th, 2006, 04:23
Lol, makes Grand Turismo HD seem uneccesary